The Origins of Allah.

Ashur

Jul 7, 2006
✟15,395.00
Faith
Christian
Yes, God does have many names, but Allah (Alilah) is not one of them. In Arabic Israel is spelled Israil. That being so, then where is the i in Allah.

My God...so much ignorance...

Are you not aware, that arabic and Hebrew are semitic languages?? and that in semitic languages vowels are NOT written????? in both languages Israel would be spelled "SRL"

And HEY! take a look at this:! Eloh is the word for God in Hebrew, Allah is the word for God in Arabic, now I'm sure you didn't even realise that they spelled the same??? : "LH"

I'll take another example so you understand better:

peace in hebrew in Shalom
peace in arabic is Salam

take out the vowels and they are praticaly identical.

Again in semitic languages vowels are not written.

Upvote 0

GuardianShua

Feb 2, 2004
✟10,653.00
Faith

Are you not aware, that arabic and Hebrew are semitic languages?? and that in semitic languages vowels are NOT written????? in both languages Israel would be spelled "SRL"

And HEY! take a look at this:! Eloh is the word for God in Hebrew, Allah is the word for God in Arabic, now I'm sure you didn't even realise that they spelled the same??? : "LH"

peace in arabic is Salam

You should take note that the Arabic and Hebrew are TRANSLATED differently. Note also that ARAMAIC for God is "El", and in ARABIC it is "Il." The words are spelled differently because they are pronounced differently. Theos = Deus = God = El = Il. I did not make a mistake, the Aramaic language has changed to Arabic. Il comes from the Babylonian language.

Upvote 0

Ashur

Jul 7, 2006
✟15,395.00
Faith
Christian
You should take note that the Arabic and Hebrew are TRANSLATED differently. Note also that ARAMAIC for God is "El", and in ARABIC it is "Il." The words are spelled differently because they are pronounced differently. Theos = Deus = God = El = Il. I did not make a mistake, the Aramaic language has changed to Arabic. Il comes from the Babylonian language.

That's my point, translations don't make up for the originals, especially semitic languages which are difficult to translate.

Who cares of how each words are translated, what counts is how they are spelled in their original form.

Another mistake of yours, the word for God is not El, in aramaic, but alaha, or again eloho, depending if you pronounce as eastern aramaic or western aramaic. SEE same language, same word, but different way of pronouncing, notice that only the vowels change.

EL,AL are the roots which spell the word God, ELoh, ALlah

Again vowel have never been written in semitic languages until recently (using accents)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

peace in arabic is Salam

Hmm interesting as that is also close to the greek word used in the word "jerusalem" in the Christian New Covenant. Btw does the Koran mention that king/priest Melchizedek in the Koran or even jerusalem? Peace

Hierousalem (Strong's 2419) occurs 83 times in 80 verses:
ierou-salhm <2419> #2411 #4532 ["Priest of Peace"]

http://www.kingdombiblestudies.org/priest/RP24.htm

Hebrews 7:1 For this the Melchisedek, King of Salem/salhm <4532>, Priest/iereuV of the God of the Most High/uyistou <5310>, the together-joining Abraham turning-back from the smiting of the kings, and did bless him

Genesis 14:18 And Malkiy-Tsedeq, king of Shalem brought forth bread and wine and he a Priest of 'El-Most-High/'Elyown.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's also fascinating is to examine the origins of the name of the Biblical God.
What are some names of God in the Hebrew Scriptures a.k.a. the Old Testament?

The Old Testament refers constantly to God as "El." He is El Elyon, El Shaddai, etc.

Interestingly, El is also the name of an older Canaanite father god. The Canaanites worshiped El long before the Hebrews came along. He was the father of Baal and Anath and the husband of Asherah. Maybe this is why the Israelites worshiped Asherah for so long. They didn't know that El had divorced her.

Elohim - this one is plural. So, the Biblical god is called "gods."

Also interesting for Christians is the fact that noone named Jesus was ever born in Bethlehem during the time of Christ. In fact, the Hebrew language has no letter "j." Christ's name was more along the lines of Yeshua or Yehoshua. That's also where we get the name Joshua.

Upvote 0

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another mistake of yours, the word for God is not El, in aramaic, but alaha, or again eloho, depending if you pronounce as eastern aramaic or western aramaic. SEE same language, same word, but different way of pronouncing, notice that only the vowels change.

EL,AL are the roots which spell the word God, ELoh, ALlah

Not entirely correct. God is called El in the Old Testament. Aleph, Lamed.
El Elyon, El Shaddai, etc. El is accurate as a name of God in Torah (your Old Testament). Remember? Even Amy Grant knows this, for she sings of El Shaddai and El Elyon in her song.

Again vowel have never been written in semitic languages until recently (using accents)

Not entirely accurate. Yod, Aleph, and Ayin are all written and the latter two function as vowels or as place-holders for vowels since they have no sound of their own. And Yod functions much as it does in English: remember, "a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y"? And sometimes Yod.

Therefore, Israel is not spelled SRL. It is spelled YSRAL. It is pronounced Yisra-el.

P.S. - I forgot to mention the letter vav, which is a placeholder for the "o" sound. Just like in the name of God "ELOAH." The O in the middle is the letter vav.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Not entirely accurate. The name is "Eloah." And it is not spelled LH. It is spelled Aleph, Lamed, Vav, Heh.

Upvote 0

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Im aware of the places in our bible that have been corrupted by Pagans and Gnostics. Im currently removing those errors so that people may have the pure word of God. This will take some time to correct. I have mostly finished the New Testament and have started on the Old Testament.

So you are able to do what no one else has been able to do (according to you) in over 5,000 years - produce an accurate rendition of the Judaeo-Christian scriptures?

Don't tell me - you don't even need to know the original languages, do you? You're inspired, right? Well, that worked out pretty well for Joseph Smith, too, when he set out to "correct" the text of the Bible, right? Right?

Upvote 0

Mordechai18

Ex-Jew, Anti-Zionist
Mar 2, 2004
✟420.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the Aramaic language has changed to Arabic.

I had never heard that before. Do you have a source for this claim?
Arabic, Aramaic, and Hebrew all belong to the Semitic family of languages and all likely share origins with an early, proto-semitic language. But I have never heard anyone say that Aramaic "changed [in]to Arabic."

Upvote 0

Gremlins

Feb 2, 2008
✟10,038.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
In Aramaic God is EL. In Hebrew God is EL. In Arabic God is IL.

STUPIDITY ALERT. STUPIDITY ALERT. DEPLOYING BASIC LINGUISTICS.

Classical Arabic has three vowels, /a i u/, in both long and short forms. Hebrew /o/ corresponds generally to Arabic /a:/ (look up the Canaanite vowel shift), and Hebrew /e/ to arabic /i/. The Arabic for 'a god' in general is /ila:h/, which matches up nicely to Hebrew eloh-. Alla:h is just a contraction of al-ila:h.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gremlins

Feb 2, 2008
✟10,038.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interestingly, El is also the name of an older Canaanite father god. The Canaanites worshiped El long before the Hebrews came along. He was the father of Baal and Anath and the husband of Asherah. Maybe this is why the Israelites worshiped Asherah for so long. They didn't know that El had divorced her.

Elohim - this one is plural. So, the Biblical god is called "gods."

My pet personal theory is that God is infact the proto-Semitic (or even proto-Afro-Asiatic) creator deity, who had a bunch of angel/spirit demiurges. Sadly most of the indigenous religions are largely gone now, replaced by Islam and Christianity, but the original Hausa (very distantly related to the Semites) religion has a single distant creator God and a bunch of spirits called jenn, which seems a bit too close to the pre-Islamic Arab Allah plus spirit Jinns to be a coincidence.

Also interesting for Christians is the fact that noone named Jesus was ever born in Bethlehem during the time of Christ. In fact, the Hebrew language has no letter "j." Christ's name was more along the lines of Yeshua or Yehoshua. That's also where we get the name Joshua.[/quote]

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
STUPIDITY ALERT. STUPIDITY ALERT. DEPLOYING BASIC LINGUISTICS.

Classical Arabic has three vowels, /a i u/, in both long and short forms. Hebrew /o/ corresponds generally to Arabic /a:/ (look up the Canaanite vowel shift), and Hebrew /e/ to arabic /i/.
The Arabic for 'a god' in general is /ila:h/, which matches up nicely to Hebrew eloh-. Alla:h is just a contraction of al-ila:h.
:) Thnks Gremlins. I put a link to this thread over here on the NCR board so the Muslims could also look it over. Peace.
aFu_DarkSide.gif

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7263932
Do Muslims believe that Allah lied?

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟14,653.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've heard it asserted that if one listens to the Arabic pronunciation of "Allah", that the "-lah" part sounds much more like "-loh", and that given the otherwise absense of the sound "o" in Arabic, this indicates that the word may in fact be a borrowing of the cognate from Aramaic (which does include the "o" sound at that place).

Upvote 0

Gremlins

Feb 2, 2008
✟10,038.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've heard it asserted that if one listens to the Arabic pronunciation of "Allah", that the "-lah" part sounds much more like "-loh", and that given the otherwise absense of the sound "o" in Arabic, this indicates that the word may in fact be a borrowing of the cognate from Aramaic (which does include the "o" sound at that place).

I'm fairly sure that it's not a borrowing, but that they're both descended from the proto-semitic word for God. In classical Arabic /o/'s in borrowed words became /u/ anyway, and classical arabic /a:/ probably didn't sound like /o/ anyway. For what it's worth, the Syriac for God is 'ala:ha:, and the Akkadian (Babylonian) is ilu.

Upvote 0

ArnautDaniel

Veteran
Aug 28, 2006
The Village
✟14,653.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm fairly sure that it's not a borrowing, but that they're both descended from the proto-semitic word for God. In classical Arabic /o/'s in borrowed words became /u/ anyway, and classical arabic /a:/ probably didn't sound like /o/ anyway. For what it's worth, the Syriac for God is 'ala:ha:, and the Akkadian (Babylonian) is ilu.

It is possible for a language to borrow a word from a close language that is cognate to a word the language already has.

English has done this with "shirt" and "skirt". "Shirt" is the word as it developed from the common root in English, whereas "skirt" was borrowed from Old Norse.

Upvote 0