Does the Word Luck Come From Lucifer? Origin of Lucky?

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I looked up the Online Etymology Dictionary
luck 15c. from M.Du. luc, shortening of gheluc "happiness, good fortune," of unknown origin. Related to M.H.G. g(e)lücke, Ger. Glück "fortune, good luck." Perhaps first borrowed in English as a gambling term. To luck out "succeed through luck" makes a verb of it, Amer.Eng. colloquial, first attested 1954.
Luck and lucky come to English from its Germanic and Anglo Saxon roots, the name Lucifer is Latin and comes to English from the Latin Vulgate bible. Wycliffe uses it in his translation of Isaiah, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was around before that as the Vulgate was available long before it was translated into English.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟27,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does it matter?

Do you call today "Saturday"? And is this month January?

Do you know the origin of the words we use for days of the week and months of the year? ;)

I expect if we asked a linguist we'd find so many examples of pagan, spiritually iffy word roots that we'd give up and learn to speak Japanese instead.
Except I would imagine that, along with every other language, is peppered with relics of a bygone belief system that conflicts with Christianity.

Upvote 0

bobznew

Apr 19, 2004
South Mississippi
✟8,962.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I expect if we asked a linguist we'd find so many examples of pagan, spiritually iffy word roots that we'd give up and learn to speak Japanese instead.
quote]

That cannot ever happen. I do not have the patience to learn Japanese. :D

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I really dont know but luck has nothing to do with christians. All things are God appointed, it is God who controls our luck along with our free will of course but even that He can use to teach us. We have Gods will in our lives and then there is no luck.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟242,456.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lucifer in itself is not a naughty word. It just means 'bearer of light'.

Cigarette lighters used to be called lucifers as from this old popular song:

Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag,
And smile, smile, smile,
While you've a lucifer to light your [wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth],
Smile, boys, that's the style.
What's the use of worrying?
It never was worth while, so
Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag,
And smile, smile, smile.

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I looked up the Online Etymology Dictionary
luck 15c. from M.Du. luc, shortening of gheluc "happiness, good fortune," of unknown origin. Related to M.H.G. g(e)lücke, Ger. Glück "fortune, good luck." Perhaps first borrowed in English as a gambling term. To luck out "succeed through luck" makes a verb of it, Amer.Eng. colloquial, first attested 1954.
Luck and lucky come to English from its Germanic and Anglo Saxon roots, the name Lucifer is Latin and comes to English from the Latin Vulgate bible. Wycliffe uses it in his translation of Isaiah, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was around before that as the Vulgate was available long before it was translated into English.

hmm

just comparing phrases of similar use . good luck and God bless .

the word (blessed) in the beattitudes for blessed is kinda similar to the above luck definition just more simplistic

3107 makariov makarios mak-ar’-ee-os

a prolonged form of the poetical makar (meaning the same); TDNT-4:362,548; adj

AV-blessed 44, happy 5, happier 1; 50

1) blessed, happy

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The origin of the word Lucky is lucifer

I heard that the other day but haven't found any evidence supporting it.
A friend of mine said a navigator he worked with told him that.
:confused:

It is dumb things like this that pollutes the truth we are trying to convince the world of. It makes us totally incredible (i.e., un-credible) when we say such things. It’s like saying the origin of the word help is hell.

~Jim
“Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia” is the fear of long words.

Upvote 0

Josephus777

Servant of the Most High
Apr 10, 2009
United States
Visit site
✟8,199.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

luck and Lucifer

E.J. Howard writes:
My mother-in-law claims that the word "luck" comes from Lucifer. Is there any truth in that?​
None whatsoever. (Of course, as we have seen before at hello and spade, erroneous ideas about word-origins can still carry emotional weight.)
The word luck was borrowed from Middle Dutch or Low German; it is cognate with forms in several other Germanic languages. It seems to have been first popularized as a gambling term, not surprisingly. The ultimate origin is uncertain. Lucifer is from Old English, where the word meant both 'the morning star' and 'Satan'. The Old English word is from Latin; its etymological meaning is 'light-bearing', derived from the stem of lux 'light' (cf. Modern English lucid) and ferre 'to bear; carry'. The use of Lucifer as an epithet for Satan comes from a passage in Isiah 14:12, which actually refers to Nebuchadnezzar, the King of Babylon, who was compared to the morning star; early Christian writers took this passage to be alluding to the fall of the archangel who was hurled from heaven because of his wickedness.

No wonder when anyone says good luck to me I sat luck's got nothing to do with it LOL

Upvote 0

He put me back together

Official Hog washer
Sep 4, 2003
Visit site
✟4,092.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Since we're playing with Germanic etymology, maybe you guys should know this one as well...

god
O.E. god "supreme being, deity," from P.Gmc. *guthan (cf. Du. god, Ger. Gott, O.N. guð, Goth. guþ), from PIE *ghut- "that which is invoked" (cf. Skt. huta- "invoked," an epithet of Indra), from root *gheu(e)- "to call, invoke." But some trace it to PIE *ghu-to- "poured," from root *gheu- "to pour, pour a libation" (source of Gk. khein "to pour," khoane "funnel" and khymos "juice;" also in the phrase khute gaia "poured earth," referring to a burial mound). "Given the Greek facts, the Germanic form may have referred in the first instance to the spirit immanent in a burial mound" [Watkins]. Cf. also Zeus. Not related to good. Originally neut. in Gmc., the gender shifted to masc. after the coming of Christianity. O.E. god was probably closer in sense to L. numen. A better word to translate deus might have been P.Gmc. *ansuz, but this was only used of the highest deities in the Gmc. religion, and not of foreign gods, and it was never used of the Christian God. It survives in Eng. mainly in the personal names beginning in Os-.

Does it shock you? English evolved from centuries (even millennia) of paganism and superstition, and even Christians today can be every bit as superstitious as pagans. It's no shock to me that our language is permeated with superstitious innuendos at the roots. If you're going to cut all of those out, you'll have a hard time speaking any language at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Svt4Him

Legend
Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why is asking a question somehow make one "shocked" at anything? To me, finding out if something is true is great, since God is truth. It amazes me how it becomes an issue of 'discrediting the message' or 'shocking the masses'.

So back to the op, it is not true, and good luck finding the origin.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟27,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't it great that we serve a God who looks upon the hearts of man!!! I don't have to worry about using the wrong words in ignorance, because He knows what I mean!

Good point!

You know how sometimes an old, familiar product name gets changed? There are several other reasons of course, but sometimes it's because the product we all knew and loved is now being marketed abroad, and the current name, perfectly innocent in English, is coincidentally a word with a very negative meaning in the language of that country.

Never quite understood why our good old English "Marathon" choccy bar was changed to "Snickers" a few years ago, but it still tastes as good! :cool:

Upvote 0

ydouxist

Senior Veteran
Nov 27, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟12,440.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is dumb things like this that pollutes the truth we are trying to convince the world of. It makes us totally incredible (i.e., un-credible) when we say such things. It’s like saying the origin of the word help is hell.

~Jim
“Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia” is the fear of long words.

The origin of help is hell ????? :eek: Then I will never use the word help again !!! LOL
I personally don't use the word luck for the simple fact that no one gets credit for luck. I was just wondering if there was any truth to it.

Upvote 0