Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Galatians 5:6, (NIV84) "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. THE ONLY THING THAT COUNTS is faith expressing itself through love."

I would like with permission to lead a Bible Study on this verse. Such a DEEEEP scripture with tremendous importance.

I want to look at:

1-Faith

2-what it means to be IN Jesus

3-Love

Will be fun I hope and help us all garner a better understanding of the scriptures and deepen our relationship with Christ.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith...

What is faith?

The Greek word for faith is pisteo... it literally means "firm persuasion," a conviction based upon hearing (Vine's).

Faith is typically reserved to conversations of religion but it is much more comprehensive than that.

We all have faith when we turn our keys in the ignition our vehicle will start.

We all have faith when we purchase food it will be satisfying and delicious.

We have faith that our favorite sports team/athlete will be successful in their next match.

Faith is applicable in all aspects of life.

But what is the faith the Bible speaks of?

Hebrews 11:1 NLT, "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see."

It is believing in more than just the physical.

It is confidence in the face of uncertainty.

I actually love the KJV translation of this verse...

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the EVIDENCE of things not seen.

Faith is not just a word or a feeling, it is the evidence of what we hold in our heart.

Faith is a KINGDOM MINDSET.

More to come :)

Peanut Gallery

• Prayers
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 11:6 says that without faith it is impossible to please God. Not only must we believe God exists but that he rewards those who sincerely seek him!

There is a condition that has permeated humanity for many millennia and that is that God can be bought by our good. If I am just good enough then I will punch my ticket to heaven.

There are many problems with this way of thinking, the most blatant of which is:

Against what standard are we to measure our good works?

This is the big dilemma for such thinking, for there is no moral law capable of redeeming a single soul. In fact, such people are at odds with God for a person seeking to justify themselves by works makes their effort a god, worshipping the labor of their own hands and trusting that to save them.

No, God says seek me and my salvation. Here is my son, believe in him and him alone for your salvation! No work of the flesh can save!

Hebrews 11 is full of testimonies of individuals who had faith and what their faith led them to do in the face of overwhelming odds.

In fact, the Holy Spirit testified of these people of faith that "the world was not worthy of them". Isn't that a statement that just blows your mind?

The God of the universe testifying of mere mortals that the world was not worthy of them! Wow!

And why wasn't the world worthy? Because they had and demonstrated their faith! Simple people who through simple faith changed the course of history!

You can change history, perhaps not on a global scale, but certainly your own and maybe even someone else's, through faith.

Faith is more than just words, it is action! If we say we have faith but do not have works, we deceive ourselves, for faith without works is dead (James 2)

To be continued...

Peanut Gallery

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A TREE IS KNOWN BY ITS FRUIT

James talks about this very thing in his epistle.

James 2:14, 17, (NIV) What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

There is a BIG hoopla in Christianity over faith vs. work as if the too are opposed to each other. Someone will come along and say that only through strict obedience to the Law of Moses or our Chruch byLaws will someone enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Others yet will come along and say that as long as a person prays an over generalized prayer and truly means it from their heart they are saved and need not do anything else ever to receive salvation.

What both of these scenarios exclude is what God says about the subject.

Galatians 5:6 The only thing... the ONLY THING that counts is what?

Faith WORKING through love.

James 2:26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

1 John 3:16-18 NIV This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

Paul, James, John all endorsed in scripture, a doctrine of faith working for salvation. It is not unscriptural to say that someone who claims faith must live as they profess, otherwise their "profession" is useless.

So what actions must faith produce in order to be a saving faith? Let's revisit John...

1 John 2:3-6 NIV

We know that we have come to know Him if we:
1) Keep His commands
2) Walk (or live) as Jesus did

What command of God is instructed here?

2 John 1:5 that we love one another.

Loving in this case is not a touchy feeling we get. It's not getting warm and fuzzy over people, it is ACTION.

I have already laid out John statement that anyone who sees someone in need but refuses to help them cannot possibly have the Holy Spirit living in them.

James also says that if we see someone in need and only pronounce blessings over them but do nothing to actually help, our faith is in vain.

So it is not unscriptural to say that faith must... it must be evidenced by our works in order to be a saving faith. If we see someone or know someone who says they have faith but live like a heathen, then in love we need to correct them and put their feet on the narrow path.

A faith that refuses God's commands or just disobeys them is not a saving faith and such a person is no more secure than the local unbeliever.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Peanut Gallery

Last edited:
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,471.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
This thread has been closed due to inactivity.
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.