The only king in history to only have 1 wife?

CCHIPSS

Love will overcome evil (Romans 12:9-21)
Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
I am trying to find a list of kings/emperors that only every had 1 wife (no known 2nd wives, concubines, mistresses or lovers) before the modern era. That means I am looking for kings who held real power over their country, not the kings of the modern era which mostly are kings in name only with no power.

Now no one knows the whole life of these kings and so they might well have had hidden extramarital sex. Or they might have had sex before marriage. But I decided to give them the benefit of doubt.

To my surprise, even with the above leniency, there seems to be only 1 king in the whole human history that only ever had 1 wife in his whole life: Hongzhi Emperor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongzhi_Emperor

This is a great surprise to me. There are at least 5 thousand years of human history and hundreds of kingdoms in each era. And there was only 1 king with only 1 wife.

Does this shows just how hard it is for a successful person to do what is right in God's eyes. (Matthew 19:24)

Last edited:

Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I am trying to find a list of kings/emperors that only every had 1 wife (no 2nd wives or concubines) before the modern era. That means I am looking for kings who held real power over their country, not the kings of the modern era which mostly are kings in name only with no power.

Now no one knows the whole life of these kings and so they might well have had extramarital sex. Or they might have had sex before marriage. But I decided to give them the benefit of doubt.
What about if they had known mistresses or lovers who weren't concubines?

And how are you defining "modern era?" Tsar Nicholas II fits the bill regarding having real power and only one wife, even though he ruled into the 20th century.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
What about if they had known mistresses or lovers who weren't concubines?

And how are you defining "modern era?" Tsar Nicholas II fits the bill regarding having real power and only one wife, even though he ruled into the 20th century.

If they had known mistresses or lovers they are out. I should clarify in the OP. ;)

Tsar Nicholas II had a mistress. So he is out. But he had real power over his nation, not a puppet king, so he would be considered.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathilde_Kschessinska

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
What you say might be true when it comes to Chinese history, but I had a look at the list of English monarchs and several kings apparently had only a single wife:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_monarchs

Sure, they might have had lovers, though.

I think most of them had lovers. I guess when history goes that back they just weren't recorded properly.

Take Alfred the Great for example. He probably had a illegitimate son called Osferth.

Upvote 0

CCHIPSS

Jul 10, 2014
Vancouver, BC
✟34,527.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
CA-Liberals
Are you talking about only married once their whole lives never divorcing? Or having multiple wives at the same time?

I mean faithful to their wife. So while married, they did not sleep with anyone else. Ideally a virgin before marriage, but I guess not a requirement.

Once again these kings might well have hidden lovers. But if they do not have known 2nd wives, concubines, mistresses and lovers we will let it slide. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

JeffofGallifrey

Dec 26, 2015
USA
✟20,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most European kings before the protestant reformation.
Actually, nope. A surprising number of them had mistresses... Or, ocasionally, misters. ^_^
Wasn't Edward 1 faithful? I just looked it up and apparently he was faithful, even for many years after his wife's death.
He had two wives... does that count?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Emperor Charles I
the last emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
Emperor of Austria, Apostolic King of Hungary, of this name the Fourth, King of Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, and Galicia, Lodomeria, and Illyria; King of Jerusalem, Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany and Cracow, Duke of Lorraine and of Salzburg, of Styria, of Carinthia, of Carniola and of the Bukovina; Grand Prince of Transylvania; Margrave of Moravia; Duke of Upper and Lower Silesia, of Modena, Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla, of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, Friuli, Ragusa and Zara; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria; Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro, and in the Windic March; Grand Voivode of the Voivodship of Serbia.

Upvote 0