Trumbull
✟36,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
I am starting to read The One Year Bible with scripture recommendations each day. Maybe others would like to read along and we discuss what we read. We may not be able to keep up so just reading the One Day Verses when one can, would be just fine.

Here are the recommended verses for today, August 18:

August 18 Esther 1:1–3:15 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 Psalm 35:17-28 Proverbs 21:19-20

The One Year Bible NIV . Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am starting to read The One Year Bible with scripture recommendations each day. Maybe others would like to read along and we discuss what we read. We may not be able to keep up so just reading the One Day Verses when one can, would be just fine.

Here are the recommended verses for today, August 18:

August 18 Esther 1:1–3:15 1 Corinthians 11:17-34 Psalm 35:17-28 Proverbs 21:19-20

The One Year Bible NIV . Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

There are various versions of the one year bible. Personally, I don't like jumping around.

The entire Bible can be read straight through in one year if you simply read 3 chapters a day.

Upvote 0

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the same one that I've been doing since November. I am enjoying it. Glad that we are now in Esther since it is one of my favorite books. They have other plans on the site for those who like to read straight through or whatever. Glad to have you reading along with me, Mitch!

Upvote 0

MitchW

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2019
Trumbull
✟36,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Rachel,

Thanks for that information. At that site they say one must use the NLT for a time frame reading through the year and the NIV for the reading of four parts in different section each day.

The site is here:

August One Year Bible Readings - One Year Bible Online

Everyone can now read the same thing at that site using the Chronological path with the NLT or the 4 Section path with the NIV.

All of us can follow along with each other now every day.

Praise be to God. Amen.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

MitchW

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2019
Trumbull
✟36,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Married
Rachel,

If you click on the arrow for the date, you can get the AUDIO instead of the print. I like that even better. Alex can get his chronological daily reading the same way at that site.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are various versions of the one year bible. Personally, I don't like jumping around.

The entire Bible can be read straight through in one year if you simply read 3 chapters a day.

I did something like that once. I made it a New Year's resolution to read the Bible from cover to cover in one year starting on January 1st. I calculated that about 2.5 pages per day of my bible would get me there. I ended up seeing so many new things when reading it that way that it became interesting enough to read more than I needed to. I think I finished Revelation in October of that year. I sure took quite a few notes along the way.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did something like that once. I made it a New Year's resolution to read the Bible from cover to cover in one year starting on January 1st. I calculated that about 2.5 pages per day of my bible would get me there. I ended up seeing so many new things when reading it that way that it became interesting enough to read more than I needed to. I think I finished Revelation in October of that year. I sure took quite a few notes along the way.
I do think reading the Bible in a chronological order is helpful, too. But not with those edited books that make it hard to figure out where the stories come from. I like reading the OT chronologically in parallel. For example, Kings and the Prophets of those times simultaneously. Or Samuel and the Psalms of David together.

Upvote 0

roman2819

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2012
Singapore
✟208,448.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trying to read the Bible in one year means having to cover 6 chapters a day. which is too rush. Many Christians try but give up because it is too demanding. As well, you might not enjoy reading hastily. Hence some Bible reading track now recommend 1.5 years. But to me, it is not how fast you finish, it is about appreciating and enjoying it. In my book, "Understanding Prayer, Faith and God's Will" I suggest it doesn't matter whether you finish the Bible in 3 or even 5 years.

I also recommend that readers keep concise notes as they go along. Concise means a few words to say what the chapter or a few chapters are about, the notes should not be tedious, and it does NOT mean rewriting the bible again. For example

Matthew 1 = Genealogy of Jesus. Jewish lineage.
Matthew 2,3,4 = Birth and early life of Jesus.
Matthew 5,6,7= The Sermon of the Mount

EXODUS:

Exodus 2 = Moses killed an Egyptian, fled to Midian, married and lived there.
Exodus 3 == God called Moses.

[I cannot create a table format here, but a table form is easier to read. I will see if I can attach a PDF later]

Concise notes is useful for various reasons:

1. You will feel motivated when you see your notes accumulating. You remember what you read as you go over the notes now and then.

2. Concise notes enables you to keep going until you reach your goal. Even if you stop for two or five months. which is very common because of time schedule, traveling, fatiguebor even need to take a break -- the notes remind you to pick up again,. And
instead of going back to square one again [if you stop 5 years ago without any notes], you can continue from where you left off. Going over the notes again will refresh your memory about what you learn previously, and you continue from there.

4. Later, when you learn something more about a chapter{s} or character [eg Abraham or David] which you covered a few months or years ago, you can add or edit the notes. The notes actually become your personal Biblepaedia. Or after you found something useful from Christian book, commentaries, sermon, conversation with friends or something cross your mind, you can add to your notes. See the words in blue, which are examples of additional thoughts or comments you can add as time goes by, as you realize new stuff, or as you ask new questions. Example:

Exodus 2

Moses killed an Egyptian; fled to Midian; married and lived there for forty years. How was the change from luxury as a prince previously to a simple life now? Maybe happier to be away from the protocol, politics and plots that existed in the palace, less grand but more peace of mind?

From living in the desert, he learned abou
t how to survive in the harsh conditions. This helped him to lead the Hebrews later.

When God called him again 40 years later, how did he feel ?

Exodus 3

God called Moses. If God has a designated will or plan, He will call or guide us.

Keep concise notes, keep reading and keep going. Way before you finish the entire Scriptures, you will see that the Biblepedia can stay with you always.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Trying to read the Bible in one year means having to cover 6 chapters a day is too rush.
I suppose you have a point regarding the sound bite generation that lives by texting and have attention spans of a gnat, but for 5 years, when I first came to Christ, I read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation at 3 chapters a day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums