The one and only requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't sure what section this would best go under so I decided to post it here. If it fits better in another section please feel free to move it.

The ONLY requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ! I'm not "Sugarcoating" the gospel I'm saying EXACTLY what the bible says in the following places:

(John 3:16), (John 6:40), (John 5:24), (John 20:31), (John 5:13), (Romans 10:9), (Luke 8:12), (John 1:12), (John 6:29), (John 7:39), (John 8:24), (John 10:26), (John 12:36), (John 17:20), (John 20:31), (Acts 16:31), (Acts 19:4), (Romans 3:22), (Romans 4:24), (Romans 10:9), (Galatians 3:22), (1 John 3:23), (1 John 5:13), (1 Thess 4:14).

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved? I've heard several doctrines. I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved. This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future. Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation. I've heard that Christians who continue on sinning after salvation aren't saved. There isn't a single verse in the bible that says that either. I've heard that works are required for salvation and people who don't work for heaven don't go there. Yet, this is trumped in Ephesians 2:8-9.

I've heard that people have to live the "Christian lifestyle" in order to be saved and that those who are saved would show fruit in their lives. This couldn't be further from the truth either and it causes people (myself included) to doubt their salvation because there isn't sufficient enough fruit showing in their lives. Living the Christian lifestyle and fruit come AFTER a person is saved and has nothing to do with their salvation. I've heard all kinds of things that just aren't true. So why? Why do Christians insist on perverting the gospel? It causes many Christians who are saved already to doubt their salvation and it discourages other people from potentially coming to Christ for salvation so It's a HUGE problem in Christianity.

Salvation is so simple. Believe in Jesus Christ and you have eternal life. Don't believe and you go to hell. THAT'S IT and that's EXACTLY what the bible says! No sugar coating. No perversions. No nothing.

I welcome anybody to prove me wrong and show me where in the bible it says that there is ANY other requirement. The ONLY two places in the bible that seem to refute belief in Christ alone are James 2:19 and Mark 16:16. Mark 16:16 seems to be saying that baptism is required for salvation. I personally don't think it is since the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and he was saved for believing in Jesus but, I believe that every Christian should get baptized anyway as obedience to that verse.

James 2:19 is the verse that is so thrown out of context and the verse that everyone throws in people's faces to dispute belief in Christ alone. Only, this verse is irrelevant in disputing belief in Christ alone since... CHRIST DIDN'T DIE FOR DEVILS! Christ died for humanity! There is NO salvation for the devils anyway! Nor would devils take salvation if it were offered to them they WANT to go to hell! Not to mention, it is impossible for devils to be saved even if they did go to Christ and beg for forgiveness. So how can this verse possibly be used to refute belief in Christ alone?

So why? Why do so many Christians insist that belief in Christ isn't enough? When the bible says over, and over, and over, and over, and over again that it is the ONLY requirement for salvation? Why does this have to be even debated? Well, unfortunately people are going to disagree with me and this is going to be debated here which is why this is in the debate section. Debate away.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'll bite, sort of. I don't wish to debate, but I will say that I don't see how John 5:24 supports this ("Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life."). Seems to say that belief in the Father is the thing, and that hearing Jesus's word is sufficient.

I also don't see how John 5:13 fits. Or John 7:39. Or Acts 19:4. Or several others here.

John 6:40, taken at face value, seems to say that not only believing but seeing is required.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't sure what section this would best go under so I decided to post it here. If it fits better in another section please feel free to move it.

The ONLY requirement for salvation is belief in Jesus Christ! I'm not "Sugarcoating" the gospel I'm saying EXACTLY what the bible says in the following places:

(John 3:16), (John 6:40), (John 5:24), (John 20:31), (John 5:13), (Romans 10:9), (Luke 8:12), (John 1:12), (John 6:29), (John 7:39), (John 8:24), (John 10:26), (John 12:36), (John 17:20), (John 20:31), (Acts 16:31), (Acts 19:4), (Romans 3:22), (Romans 4:24), (Romans 10:9), (Galatians 3:22), (1 John 3:23), (1 John 5:13), (1 Thess 4:14).

I might have missed some verses but that gives you a basic idea of what I'm talking about. Yet, so many Christians insist on debating this time and time again and insist on adding things to the gospel and insist on preaching false gospels. Why is that? Why do so many people insist that so many different things are required in order to be saved? I've heard several doctrines. I've heard that people have to repent from their sins in order to be saved. This is further from the truth Jesus died for ALL sins past, present, and future. Not to mention, there isn't a single verse in the bible that says that repentance is a requirement for salvation. I've heard that Christians who continue on sinning after salvation aren't saved. There isn't a single verse in the bible that says that either. I've heard that works are required for salvation and people who don't work for heaven don't go there. Yet, this is trumped in Ephesians 2:8-9.

I've heard that people have to live the "Christian lifestyle" in order to be saved and that those who are saved would show fruit in their lives. This couldn't be further from the truth either and it causes people (myself included) to doubt their salvation because there isn't sufficient enough fruit showing in their lives. Living the Christian lifestyle and fruit come AFTER a person is saved and has nothing to do with their salvation. I've heard all kinds of things that just aren't true. So why? Why do Christians insist on perverting the gospel? It causes many Christians who are saved already to doubt their salvation and it discourages other people from potentially coming to Christ for salvation so It's a HUGE problem in Christianity.

Salvation is so simple. Believe in Jesus Christ and you have eternal life. Don't believe and you go to hell. THAT'S IT and that's EXACTLY what the bible says! No sugar coating. No perversions. No nothing.

I welcome anybody to prove me wrong and show me where in the bible it says that there is ANY other requirement. The ONLY two places in the bible that seem to refute belief in Christ alone are James 2:19 and Mark 16:16. Mark 16:16 seems to be saying that baptism is required for salvation. I personally don't think it is since the thief on the cross wasn't baptized and he was saved for believing in Jesus but, I believe that every Christian should get baptized anyway as obedience to that verse.

James 2:19 is the verse that is so thrown out of context and the verse that everyone throws in people's faces to dispute belief in Christ alone. Only, this verse is irrelevant in disputing belief in Christ alone since... CHRIST DIDN'T DIE FOR DEVILS! Christ died for humanity! There is NO salvation for the devils anyway! Nor would devils take salvation if it were offered to them they WANT to go to hell! Not to mention, it is impossible for devils to be saved even if they did go to Christ and beg for forgiveness. So how can this verse possibly be used to refute belief in Christ alone?

So why? Why do so many Christians insist that belief in Christ isn't enough? When the bible says over, and over, and over, and over, and over again that it is the ONLY requirement for salvation? Why does this have to be even debated? Well, unfortunately people are going to disagree with me and this is going to be debated here which is why this is in the debate section. Debate away.
What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

Upvote 0

Tinyarch

Oct 15, 2016
Sarasota
✟16,452.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
While faith/belief is the cornerstone of salvation, it must be noted that faith is a gift from God. Ephesians 2:1-10 makes it abundantly clear that spiritually dead men cannot choose to believe. God must make them/us alive and grant us the gift of faith. It cannot be manufactured. It is not an intellectual exercise in choosing the most rational view. Faith is a gift from God so that we humans cannot boast about our amazing ability to choose to believe.
So yes, belief is required, but belief is a gift from God.

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,059.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

No, you're not sugar coating because believing in Jesus is a tough thing! :)

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟917,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Rather than just reading James 2:19, read all of James 2, and James is using the demons' analogy to show that intellectual acceptance is not enough, faith is not merely accepting that Jesus rose, or is God, etc.

We are indeed saved by faith alone, but a faith that produces no works is a dead faith that was not true faith to begin with, not one that truly trusted in Jesus as Lord.

James 2:14-26

What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

I know he was arguing that faith alone isn't enough to save. But the thing is, I disagree with James. Faith alone is enough to save and like I said, why is that particularly relevant since Christ didn't die for devils he died for us. Nor is our salvation given to devils. He was arguing that faith in itself isn't enough to save yet, every other apostle and Jesus himself disagreed with him. Since, even Jesus himself said "Believe in me and you are saved, believe not and you are condemned". James is literally the only person in the whole bible who seemed to not believe that. I'm not saying we shouldn't take what he said into consideration but yeah, it is a confusing section of the bible.

We are told to repent and believe. Repent and be converted that your sins
may be blotted out. God commands men to repent.

I've heard this and put it into my thread but can you point to a verse or verses that say this in the bible? Thanks.

No, you're not sugar coating because believing in Jesus is a tough thing! :)

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Exactly, it isn't difficult. Salvation is very simple it's many Christians that make it sound complicated but in reality, it's not. Believe in Jesus and you are saved, don't believe and you are condemned. Simple.

While faith/belief is the cornerstone of salvation, it must be noted that faith is a gift from God. Ephesians 2:1-10 makes it abundantly clear that spiritually dead men cannot choose to believe. God must make them/us alive and grant us the gift of faith. It cannot be manufactured. It is not an intellectual exercise in choosing the most rational view. Faith is a gift from God so that we humans cannot boast about our amazing ability to choose to believe.
So yes, belief is required, but belief is a gift from God.

I agree with you 100%.

Upvote 0

pearcekj

Dec 3, 2016
U.S.
✟16,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do we define belief in Jesus Christ?

If we say we believe with all of our heart that Jesus Christ died for our atonement, but then add our own religious requirements, do we really believe in the finished work of Jesus Christ?

If we say we believe in Jesus Christ who sent us His Holy Spirit to dwell within us and empower us to become progressively Christlike, here and now as we walk the earth, but we choose to live like a dog and deny the life-changing power of the Gospel, do we really believe? What kind of tree are we if we bear no fruit?

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I believe that true belief is enough, but that we ought to spend our entire life working that belief out in the presence of God with fear and trembling at His sheer awesomeness, allowing Him to purify it and solidify it in our hearts. The Holy Spirit ignites and empowers our belief, it is a gift from God. We believe not only in what Jesus Christ did, but what He's doing now.

Also regarding the baptisms of water and of fire, who gives those baptisms? Is it man or is it our Father that baptizes us? If I lack a wedding ring or a marriage certificate but the ceremony has already taken place am I still married? I believe the thief on the cross repented and was baptized the moment he first believed in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the thing is, I disagree with James.

Never a good place to start, saying that one simply disagrees with what Scripture says. ;)

I once did a project where I looked at as many passages as I could find where Scripture mentioned salvation. I actually found many things ... believe, repent, be baptized, confess, and much more. Most passages mention one or two "requirements" but often not the same ones.

But considering it as a checklist of "requirements" didn't sit well.

I think that was a wrong way to look at it. Rather, there are two overlapping ways to understand all these passages.

One is a description of a person who is pursuing following Christ and being reconciled to God.

The other is a list of means through which God "saves" us.

All benefit our soul, all should be present, all will bring us closer to God, all help transform us. And in the end, that IS salvation.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I believe in Jesus Christ!

now if you'll excuse me, I have a date with a prostitute that I purchased last week for the weekend. Quite expensive, but all the money I embezzled from the offering plate, gofundme pages, and the bank I work at should cover it and many more visits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,059.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Exactly, it isn't difficult. Salvation is very simple it's many Christians that make it sound complicated but in reality, it's not. Believe in Jesus and you are saved, don't believe and you are condemned. Simple.

I think you didn't read the verse I quoted carefully. I have to put it here again and highlight the key words.

The works that Jesus did is difficult. He went around quite a lot to his own neglect, he didn't even have time to build a good life for himself. He was not afraid to make enemies for the sake of the Truth. Those are actually the key ingredients to establish a miserable life on Earth :)

If that is what Jesus thinks then the majority of Christians actually don't believe Him. And if belief is the requirement of salvation - as you think....Then the majority of Christians aren't saved! :eek:

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,047.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know he was arguing that faith alone isn't enough to save. But the thing is, I disagree with James. Faith alone is enough to save and like I said, why is that particularly relevant since Christ didn't die for devils he died for us. Nor is our salvation given to devils. He was arguing that faith in itself isn't enough to save yet, every other apostle and Jesus himself disagreed with him. Since, even Jesus himself said "Believe in me and you are saved, believe not and you are condemned". James is literally the only person in the whole bible who seemed to not believe that. I'm not saying we shouldn't take what he said into consideration but yeah, it is a confusing section of the bible.

I've heard this and put it into my thread but can you point to a verse or verses that say this in the bible? Thanks.

I agree with you 100%.
I find the book of James, like the book of Psalms to be a combination of grace and law. David, in the book of Psalms, spoke with a viewpoint toward law yet in his words are grace speaking also in the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking thru him. So we find grace and law mixed in.

James is the same thing. They were from the old school, those that came from James to eat with Paul, Peter and others. Yet they enticed Peter back to law.Galatians 2:11-21

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I consider that repentence is a change of mind. A change of mind that is reflected in our actions.

The repentence that leads to salvation is not a thing about following the written law, rather it is a change of mind, sorrowfully recognising our own poverty of spirit and leading towards faith in Christ and beleif and trust in Him alone.

Salvation is more about the setting right of the relationship with Him than it is about what happens after death.
This is righteousness.

The one who is in righteous relationship with Him and wishes to continue on this path will identify with Him, as we do with anybody we are in close relationship with, and for Christ Jesus the act of Baptism is the first act of identification with Him in His death and ressurection.

The change of action in our lives then should reflect a life of trust and growing relationship with Him as expressed by the fruit of the Spirit we bear and in Agape with our neighbour.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also regarding the baptisms of water and of fire, who gives those baptisms? Is it man or is it our Father that baptizes us? If I lack a wedding ring or a marriage certificate but the ceremony has already taken place am I still married? I believe the thief on the cross repented and was baptized the moment he first believed in Jesus Christ.
This is an interesting thought, the thief is baptised in the sense that He identifies with Christ in His death.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@mmbattlestar, "belief" is actually found virtually nowhere in a good Bible translation, and for good reason: translations like the ESV and NASB keep "believe" to the infinitive "to believe", and instead of "belief" translate "faith". Belief and faith both share the same Greek morpheme pist, meaning both should be understood as referring to trust or confidence and not attempted representation of Christ, which is the understanding of "belief" that's really a post-enlightenment understanding. So all this complicates the idea that it's just a matter of belief.

As for James 2, we can squirm all we'd like:

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. -- James 2:18-26 (ESV)
"A person is justified by works and not by faith alone." This is as clear as day, and doesn't at all contradict Paul's definition of justification according to faith, because James goes into more detail as to what constitutes this faith -- namely works in the presence of faith, "faith" as used by Paul being a synecdoche. Therefore, any time we see the word "faith" used in the Bible, we have to apply James' detailed "recipe" as to what constitutes faith -- not simply belief (as the demons have) but also works as an expression of this belief. And this isn't simply works that naturally flow from faith involuntarily, but rather works that are voluntarily exercised by the person with faith, such that faith occurs through grace and each time it's fulfilled through works it lives, but each time it isn't fulfilled it dies, this dying act called sin, and through grace other chances for faith are granted in the soul by God.

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@mmbattlestar, "belief" is actually found virtually nowhere in a good Bible translation, and for good reason: translations like the ESV and NASB keep "believe" to the infinitive "to believe", and instead of "belief" translate "faith". Belief and faith both share the same Greek morpheme pist, meaning both should be understood as referring to trust or confidence and not attempted representation of Christ, which is the understanding of "belief" that's really a post-enlightenment understanding. So all this complicates the idea that it's just a matter of belief.

As for James 2, we can squirm all we'd like:

But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead. -- James 2:18-26 (ESV)
"A person is justified by works and not by faith alone." This is as clear as day, and doesn't at all contradict Paul's definition of justification according to faith, because James goes into more detail as to what constitutes this faith -- namely works in the presence of faith, "faith" as used by Paul being a synecdoche. Therefore, any time we see the word "faith" used in the Bible, we have to apply James' detailed "recipe" as to what constitutes faith -- not simply belief (as the demons have) but also works as an expression of this belief. And this isn't simply works that naturally flow from faith involuntarily, but rather works that are voluntarily exercised by the person with faith, such that faith occurs through grace and each time it's fulfilled through works it lives, but each time it isn't fulfilled it dies, this dying act called sin, and through grace other chances for faith are granted in the soul by God.
This is right but you don't specify what work is the result of trust in Christ.

The confusion about this often leads to a legalistic following of the written law in contravention of the grace that is freely given.

The work we are called to that is an outworking of trust in Christ is listening to and walking in step with the Spirit of Christ within us.

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.

You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ." (Romans 8)

The fruit of the Spirit, the result of the type of thing that the Spirit will lead us into, is Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-control.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0