The oldest person ever: 122, not 120, like the Bible says...

Manuel Cano

Dec 16, 2016
los angeles
✟7,905.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Was there a point in bumping this? I even addressed this in my thread:

Bad arguments against creationism
Thank you those who mentioned this. You may very well be correct. While mapping out the lineage from Adam to Noah (by adding the ages together), I have found that the flood happened approximately 156 years after Noah was 500 years old, maybe a little more. However, I want to explain why some who haven't heard this explanation would wonder on this topic.

1. Genesis 6:3 states that man (either mankind or common man {aw-dawm}) WILL have their days numbered to 120. Those you have mentioned who have lived past 120 (Such as Peleg) were progressively obtaining shorter lifespans to the point where we are today (around 120).

2. aw-dawm could either mean mankind or common man.

In the case that the 120 years mentioned is concerning mankind/common man, those who live beyond the time limit naturally, i would argue, were not considered common man.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jeanne Louise Calment (February 21 1875 - August 4 1997) had the longest (reliably reported) lifespan for any human being in history. Her lifespan has been thoroughly documented by scientific study. She married her second cousin Fernand Calment in 1896, and survived her only child and only grandchild. She died at the age of 122 years 164 days in Arles, France; the same town she was born in. She said that in her younger years, she met Vincent van Gogh, later describing him as "dirty, badly dressed and disagreeable."

I wonder what she thought of Monet.

So, then, if the Bible says that people will only live to be 120, what does the fact that she lived to be older than God told her to mean?

Translation: Genesis is not literal!

All important concepts in scripture are repeated.

Upvote 0

Buyayeng

Jun 7, 2017
evanston
✟7,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The text actually talks about God numbering the days of humanity in general before he eradicated them.
Then the LORD said, My spirit shall not abide in humanity forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be one hundred twenty years (Genesis 6:3).
It is a clear declaration of "your days are numbered"
Then it shows that God gave humanity a chance because of Noah.
It is similar to what happened with other cities where God decides to destroy it but saves those who are of noticeable character or morality.
In that sense he did destroy man in 120 years after he declared it. However he saved noah's family to give humanity another chance.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, then, if the Bible says that people will only live to be 120, what does the fact that she lived to be older than God told her to mean?
A bible year is 360 days not 365 1/4 days. 5 1/4 days times 120 years adds up to? Those 5 1/4 days are counted on our calendar, they are not counted on the Bible calendar.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A bible year is 360 days not 365 1/4 days. 5 1/4 days times 120 years adds up to? Those 5 1/4 days are counted on our calendar, they are not counted on the Bible calendar.

Actually the sacred calendar is a "calendar within a calendar" and thus would still be accurate in calculating longevity.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Actually the sacred calendar is a "calendar within a calendar" and thus would still be accurate in calculating longevity.
I take it your missionary is right-handed?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Genesis obviously has its origins in what we would recognize as folk stories, not history, just like many other cultures folk stories.

Even folk stories usually have some historical basis. Genesis is as good an explanation of origins as any scientific theory, considering the evidence.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Even folk stories usually have some historical basis. Genesis is as good an explanation of origins as any scientific theory, considering the evidence.

Depends how literally you take it. Metaphor can still convey truth.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This article offers a very detailed, reasonable explanation and concludes with the following statement:

From 1) the flow of the announcement, 2) the fact that the birth of Noah’s sons was repeated after Genesis 6:3 and 3) since men and women continued to live longer than 120 years we conclude that Genesis 6:3 is an announcement of the coming flood, a warning that God will not tolerate man’s sin forever and not a statement about the longevity of man’s life.
https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-...-what-does-the-120-years-in-genesis-63-refer/

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,631.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
She died at the age of 122 ...

It means she died at the age of 2.

Once she hit 120, she started over.

;)

Upvote 0

Traveling teacher

May 2, 2017
Belton
✟31,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It would be interesting to know what was the strength and stamina of people back in noahs day.......
He started built the ark at age 500-600 years old....
It was dna orsoemthing God put in man

Isah 65:20
A child will be 100 years old
Aparently this long life span will be reinstated during Jesus 1000 year reign

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Herman Hedning

Hiking is fun
Mar 2, 2004
N 57° 44', E 12° 00'
Visit site
✟735,103.00
Faith
Humanist
It would be interesting to know what was the strength and stamina of people back in noahs day.......
He started built the ark at age 500-600 years old....
It was dna orsoemthing God put in man

Isah 65:20
A child will be 100 years old
Aparently this long life span will be reinstated during Jesus 1000 year reign

Pshah, that's nothing. The kings of old Sumeria reigned for tens of thousands of years. Obviously their gods were much better dealing with DNA or something ...

Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because that's a majority, maybe? The average woman's life is 80 years, but I know several who have died at 40. What does that mean? Nothing. Just that some women are healthier than others.

Also, there are several things you have to take into consideration. I know several teens who died in car accidents. That doesn't mean they WOULDN'T have lived to be 120 years old, that just means they DIDN'T because they were been foolish during a dangerous precedure.

And you may be right. I'm just saying that unless you're actually reading a Greek or Latin translation (maybe even Hebrew), you're not going to get an accurate translation. Every bible says something different.
Shouldn't the word of an all powerful God say the same thing, regardless of what language it is in? I wonder what else is wrong in transltions. I mean you can go to hell and be tortuedd forever and ever, you would think he would make his word clear and percise. Your soul is at stake.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Lol. Fine. In Biblical years, she was 124 years, 74 days...

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The average woman's life is 80 years
Psalm 90:10 "Our days may come to seventy years, or eighty, if our strength endures; yet the best of them are but trouble and sorrow, for they quickly pass, and we fly away."

We are given 80 years but there are scriptures that talk about how to add years to your life. For example if you follow the teaching of the Bible that will add years onto your life. It is well established that church people live longer than people that are not active in a church.

Proverbs3:1 My son, do not forget my teaching, But let your heart keep my commandments; 2 For length of days and years of life And peace they will add to you.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Shouldn't the word of an all powerful God say the same thing, regardless of what language it is in?
There is a school of thought that only the original Hebrew has the full authority of God. Kabbalah talks about this quite a bit. There is the Torah: the written word of God and then there is the oral traditions that goes back to Moses and some people say all the way back to Abraham and Adam.

Upvote 0