Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The law of God demanded death penalties for certain sinners. Some Christians still preach about these laws, which I won't argue against. But just because there was a death penalty for certain sinners, did not mean they couldn't be forgiven before they died, right?

The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation. Numbers 14:18

Some Christians preach that because there were death penalties attached to some sinful behavior that it means that there were no forgiveness. Now, I am not claiming that because there was forgiveness there was no death penalty. I am sure there was. I will never claim anything that meets my agenda simply because I don't like it. If scriptures says that certain sins had the death penalty, then I am incline to believe it.

But the question is, were their souls saved if they repented. Scripture says that God forgave every kind of sin, even though he did not leave sin unpunished.

Now, before anyone goes off on me, I have same-sex attractions, which according to the Old Testament makes me worthy of death. So, this is not me pointing out everybody else's sins and ignoring my own sin.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The law of God demanded death penalties for certain sinners.
I'd prefer to answer this in a PM, but you have to enable it first, or send me a PM, first.

Upvote 0

Christie insb

Sep 3, 2015
Santa Barbara, California
✟60,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The law of God demanded death penalties for certain sinners. Some Christians still preach about these laws, which I won't argue against. But just because there was a death penalty for certain sinners, did not mean they couldn't be forgiven before they died, right?

The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation. Numbers 14:18

Some Christians preach that because there were death penalties attached to some sinful behavior that it means that there were no forgiveness. Now, I am not claiming that because there was forgiveness there was no death penalty. I am sure there was. I will never claim anything that meets my agenda simply because I don't like it. If scriptures says that certain sins had the death penalty, then I am incline to believe it.

But the question is, were their souls saved if they repented. Scripture says that God forgave every kind of sin, even though he did not leave sin unpunished.

Now, before Christians go off on me, I have same-sex attraction, which according to the Old Testament makes me worthy of death. So, this is not me pointing out everybody else's sins and ignoring my own sin. It's sad I have to point that out because I have had Christians get mad at me for my threads and tell me that I was being judgmental, even though the thread is about my struggles. We all seem to judge other people's motives without really knowing what is in someone's heart. And I do it to, but I am working on that.
When they have someone sentenced to death in the old westerns, the judge always says "May God have mercy on your soul." .If the person committed the crime but was never caught and died a natural death, would God let the person in? What if the person were wrongly executed? If the person were to repent I don't think there is much God won't forgive if asked, so I think grace can reach most anywhere. I don't know how to express this, but I hope God will help you see His grace and mercy.

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The law of God demanded death penalties for certain sinners.

I have not found any scripture that stated God commanded the death of anyone, period. Murder is not God's way. And yes, He will forgive you if you ask him too. But you must mean it because He can see into your soul and if you are lying to Him you will regret it.

6th Commandment
"Thy shall not murder"

with no exceptions

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have not found any scripture that stated God commanded the death of anyone, period. Murder is not God's way. And yes, He will forgive you if you ask him too. But you must mean it because He can see into your soul and if you are lying to Him you will regret it.

6th Commandment
"Thy shall not murder"

with no exceptions

Uhhhh how about Sabbath?!?!?!?!

Not saying that murder now is to be pushed, but God did put to death people in the OT, or ordered people to put death penalty on certain actions. Keep in mind that priest and judges were put in place at the time while Israel roamed in the wilderness. All about context though. Don't need to be incorrect biblically to make God look good either.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Now, before anyone goes off on me, I have same-sex attractions, which according to the Old Testament makes me worthy of death. So, this is not me pointing out everybody else's sins and ignoring my own sin.
You are supposed to repent of your sins in order to receive forgiveness.

Jesus said, "Those who live by the sword will perish by the sword." If you enforce the death penalty on others, they might turn and enforce the death penalty on you. Jesus and his disciples were not a police or military force.

Jesus also taught the wages of sin is death. Even if one is not sentenced to death, one will die of natural causes. One who is righteous may receive a reward.

Same sex lust is a problem. Thousands have died because of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases like various forms of hepatitis, HPV etc. Celibacy is recommended. One may choose to not marry, but one is not supposed to do homosexuality.

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Not saying that murder now is to be pushed, but God did put to death people in the OT

If one is to believe Passover was the doing of God then He killed every firstborn. Put I personally do not believe God was doing all the killing but others who had their kinfolk mark their doors and stay inside so they would be passed on by so none of them would be harmed during the night.

in my view of things

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
but one is not supposed to do homosexuality.

There is one grace in them being homosexual, they cannot reproduce.

Having said that I have noting against homosexuals and wish them a good life as I would wish on anyone.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If one is to believe Passover was the doing of God then He killed every firstborn. Put I personally do not believe God was doing all the killing but others who had their kinfolk mark their doors and stay inside so they would be passed on by so none of them would be harmed during the night.

in my view of things

How come its a hard concept to believe that God did (or ordered to) kill people?

• Agree
Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Having said that I have noting against homosexuals and wish them a good life as I would wish on anyone.

I wish for them to be saved with a renewed mind, even if that means a path that is not all bed and roses.

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
How come its a hard concept to believe that God did (or ordered to) kill people?

because it is forbidden in the ten commandments and the bible is full of verses telling you how to treat the stranger but nowhere did i find a verse where God told anyone to kill anyone.

in my view of things

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
because it is forbidden in the ten commandments and the bible is full of verses telling you how to treat the stranger but nowhere did i find a verse where God told anyone to kill anyone.

King Saul and the Amalekites (1 Samuel 15)
Stoning of the man gathering sticks on Sabbath ( Numbers 15)
Abraham to kill Isaac ( Genesis 22)
Israel killing basically a nation committing idolatry ( Ezekiel 9)

Im pretty sure there is alot more but on the top of my head. That and that basically Leviticus and Exodus are filled with laws that state to kill adulterers, homosexuals, those who curse their parents, fornicators, women not virgins on their wedding night, etc.

How did all those kings conquer land? By killing.
How did God protect Israel? Through the death of enemies.
How did God get rid of bad kings? Death and plagues.

• Agree
Reactions: Thir7ySev3n
Upvote 0

Saintly Sinner

Aug 1, 2018
Richmond, VA
✟914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
The Old Testament was a very different time in the world- it doesn't follow with modern bias because it deals with a world that was a lot more hardened and unforgiving.

With the matter concerning forgiveness or salvation, the righteous were spared in Abraham before Christ came- how God chose who and who weren't righteous beyond the penalties for their wrongdoing is more or less a mystery in Scripture, and for good reason really.
Salvation is something between a man and God alone; the Apostles, particularly Paul, gives a good bit of insight but nonetheless there can be certain unseen qualities of a person that only God recognizes.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Damned by faint praise?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Israel killing basically a nation committing idolatry

I have been responding to a statement where a poster stated that God ordered or directly killed someone.

Abraham, Isaac, King Soul nor Israel are/were not gods.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been responding to a statement where a poster stated that God ordered or directly killed someone.

Abraham, Isaac, King Soul nor Israel are/were not gods.

Did God not ordered them to kill?

And what?!? God didnt kill anybody?!?

The flood....
Sodom and Gomorrah...
Pharoah and his army when they went after Israel...
Many more...

You can literally even ask the non-believers on this forums, and they can easily quote scriptures for you.

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
it doesn't follow with modern bias because it deals with a world that was a lot more hardened and unforgiving.

And yet out of the Old Testament came the Ten Commandments and out of the ten Commandments five (5) of them have been put into law by every country on this planet.

Upvote 0