The Oklahoma Earthquakes: Are they a sign of the End?

Geologist

Oct 25, 2011
✟15,260.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I'm from Oklahoma and all my family is there. My biggest concern are the bridges. OKLAHOMA DOT is known for poor road construction and lives have been lost before due to falling bridges in that state. These quakes will only make a bad situation worse, and more imminent. I feel I need prayer when I drive home by myself on Friday!

Glory be!

Why prayer? Wouldn't a quality construction engineer be better?

Upvote 0

GloryBe!

Always learning.....
Jul 8, 2011
Arkansas
✟15,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Geologist said:
Why prayer? Wouldn't a quality construction engineer be better?

Long story... In a nutshell: money grubbing councils and politicians hire crappy engineers who have to work within crappy budgets. All roads in Oklahoma suck.

Glory be!

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Long story... In a nutshell: money grubbing councils and politicians hire crappy engineers who have to work within crappy budgets. All roads in Oklahoma suck.

Glory be!

So who's reelecting them?

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My theory (unsubstantiated) is the severe drought in the state (some places as much as 18 inches of rain short this year) has dried up the soil in places near the fault lines.

:doh:

This post is proof that so much nonsense could be remedied by a little bit of education in the subject matter.

There are so many problems with this theory that I'm not even sure where to start.

1) Evaporative drying due to drought extends to a few meters below the surface at most. The water table still exists which is why wells aren't running dry all over Oklahoma. The focus of the earthquake was more than 3 miles deep.

2) Drying of a fault would not induce an earthquake but would more likely inhibit it. Wetting of a fault due to an injection of water would be more likely to induce an earthquake.

3) The fact that you use the word "soil" gives away the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about. An earthquake has never occurred in "soil". Earthquakes occur in bedrock, usually miles beneath any layers of soil.

Upvote 0