• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

The Oklahoma Earthquakes: Are they a sign of the End?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Orogeny, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,159
    Ignostic
    Married
    Are examples of what God can do restricted to bible stories?

2. AV1611VET

AV1611VET BELIEVE IN MIRACLES Supporter

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    No:

3. Nostromo

Nostromo Brian Blessed can take a hike

+48
    Atheist
    Private
    I decided it was the weather.

4. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Was it the weather that turned the Sea of Galilee to ice so Jesus could walk on water?

I have a feeling you guys would blame a lot of stuff on the weather.

Thus confirming what I've always said about you guys, should God actually speak audibly from Heaven:

John 12:29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.

Can you spot the scientists in the above passage?

5. Nostromo

+48
    Atheist
    Private
    Did that event actually happen?
    No. I can spot some Jews arguing over religion though.

6. sandwiches

sandwiches Mas sabe el diablo por viejo que por diablo.

+111
    Atheist
    Single
    Better yet: Why not one of the other 30 earthquakes around the globe this past week alone?

7. sandwiches

+111
    Atheist
    Single
    So, short answer is "no."

8. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,159
    Ignostic
    Married
    Decide what? By these examples, you are portraying a deity that is restricted to doing what nature is capable of.

Do we have examples of where God caused a hurricane outside of hurricane season?

Do we have examples of where God caused an earthquake where there are no faults in the Earth's crust?

9. Orogeny

Orogeny Trilobite me!

+52
    Agnostic
    Single
    Because Oklahoma is the belt buckle. Duh.

10. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,159
    Ignostic
    Married
    So it would appear.

11. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    1. You asked me what God can do -- I showed you a list of what God can do.

2. God is not restricted to what nature is capable of. He can do everything on that list, even if nature says otherwise.

Jonah was swallowed by a whale. So what? A whale can swallow anyone.

But to swallow Jonah and take him on a submarine ride to his destination is a miracle.

12. Nostromo

+48
    Atheist
    Private
    Come on AV, let's see your rain dance.

13. jayem

jayem Naturalist

+5,850
    Atheist
    Married
    I'd like to know why my insurance goes up so much. I live in the New Madrid fault zone, and have an earthquake rider on my homeowner's policy. We have little tremors now and then, but I'm unaware of any major increase in seismic activity. Yet over the last 10 years, that premium has gone up a lot more than the other coverage. Which tells me there's something other than just general inflation and increased building costs.

14. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+16,063
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    only 30?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  15. Davian

Davian fallible

+1,159
    Ignostic
    Married
    No, I asked "Have there been any examples of God sending a drought/earthquake/tornado where nature couldn't?" and you provided a list that required no deity for explanation. Now, if that is your definitive list, then your deity appears to be indistinguishable from typical naturalistic forces. Nothing extraordinary.
    That was my point. Where on that list did 'nature say otherwise'?
    Or it was just a bible story. Allegory. Metaphor.

16. Cute Tink

Cute Tink Blah Supporter

+4,389
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    It could be they've been paying out more money for earthquakes and are trying to make up for the payouts.

Or they are trying to build a larger buffer in case they have to pay out.

17. AV1611VET

+42,005
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not that I know of.

What would that matter?

What's the difference in God sending a tornado across Tornado Alley, and God sending a tornado across the North Pole?

Either way, God sent it.

18. sandwiches

+111
    Atheist
    Single
    I thought you said nature created some. Now all are sent by God?

19. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+16,063
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    No, Only the ones God allows ;)

20. Geologist

Geologist Newbie

+2
    Atheist
    Private
    The focus of the earthquake was about 3 miles down. Unlikely that the drought triggered the quake. Having said that, water can and does act as a lubricant along fault lines so perhaps a better (though highly unlikely) reason would be if the area were suddenly 'relubricated' with a lot of water that was able to reach the depths necessary to trigger this event.