The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who choose to believe.

Gismys17

Jan 22, 2017
southern USA
✟5,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who believe. This belief results in eternal salvation:

For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to ""all"" people. Titus 2:11

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that ""whoever"" believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

For this is the will of My Father, that ""everyone"" who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day." (John 6:40)

This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires ""all"" men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (1 Timothy 2:3-4)

The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for ""all"" to come to repentance. (2 Peter 3:9)

For it is for this we labor and strive, because we have fixed our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of ""all"" men, especially of believers. (1 Timothy 4:10)

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to ""all"" men, (Titus 2:11)And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw ""all"" men to Myself." (John 12:32)

So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to ""all"" men. (Romans 5:18)

For the death that He died, He died to sin, once for ""all""; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. (Romans 6:10)
For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all shall be made alive. (1 Corinthians 15:22)

For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for ""all"", therefore all died; and He died for all, that they who live should no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. (2 Corinthians 5:15)

For it was fitting that we should have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens; who does not need daily, like those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins, and then for the sins of the people, because this He did once for ""all"" when He offered up Himself. (Hebrews 7:26-27)

But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation; and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for ""all"", having obtained eternal redemption. (Hebrews 9:11-12)

By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for ""all"". (Hebrews 10:10)

For Christ also died for sins once for ""all"", the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; (1 Peter 3:18)

Reactions: Greg J.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian

For Christ also died for sins once for ""all"", the just for the unjust, in order that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; (1 Peter 3:18)
The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who believe. This belief results in eternal salvation:

I noticed your adding in this word 'all' yourself for 1 Peter 3:18? to promote your opinion?

Why are you adding in words to verses?

1 Peter 3:18 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit,

1 Peter 3:18King James Version (KJV)
18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Upvote 0

Gismys17

Jan 22, 2017
southern USA
✟5,748.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I noticed your adding in this word 'all' yourself for 1 Peter 3:18? to promote your opinion?

Why are you adding in words to verses?

1 Peter 3:18 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit,

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

1 Peter 3:18 NASB
18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

I love the NASB IMHO the very best!!!

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
1 Peter 3:18 NASB
18For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

I love the NASB IMHO the very best!!!
All the 'new' versions have changed the various scriptures by adding or taking away words that reflect their personal opinions of the text by those who edit and published those versions of the bible.

The KJV based on 'textus receptus' and the NIV based on the Alexandrian Greek text do not have that word 'all' in those scriptures.

1 Peter 3:18New International Version (NIV)
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

1 Peter 3:18English Standard Version (ESV)
18 For Christ also suffered[a] once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,

1 Peter 3:18American Standard Version (ASV)
18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

Kefa I 3:18Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
18 Because, indeed, Moshiach suffered once on behalf of chatta’im (sins), a Tzaddik (righteous one) on behalf of the chote’im (unrighteous ones, sinners), that he might bring you to Hashem he, having been in the basar [TEHILLIM 16:9-10] put to death, yet, in the Ruach Hakodesh, having been made alive [4:6]; [see Isa 53:8]

The point is changing the words can change the meaning and a lot of these newer versions have done that rather than clarify what was originally written, they have tried to improve the scriptures according to the way they think it should be understood..but is that right to change the text...

salvation through faith given to ""all"" who choose to believe is fine, but the study of our salvation also must include why people believe what they believe. Christ said all they that believe and come to Him because they are drawn and taught by God's Holy Spirit. John 6:43-46, which gives all glory, praises and honor to God regarding our individual salvation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All the 'new' versions have changed the various scriptures by adding or taking away words that reflect their personal opinions of the text by those who edit and published those versions of the bible.

The KJV based on 'textus receptus' and the NIV based on the Alexandrian Greek text do not have that word 'all' in those scriptures.

1 Peter 3:18New International Version (NIV)
18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

1 Peter 3:18English Standard Version (ESV)
18 For Christ also suffered[a] once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit,

1 Peter 3:18American Standard Version (ASV)
18 Because Christ also suffered for sins once, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God; being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;

Kefa I 3:18Orthodox Jewish Bible (OJB)
18 Because, indeed, Moshiach suffered once on behalf of chatta’im (sins), a Tzaddik (righteous one) on behalf of the chote’im (unrighteous ones, sinners), that he might bring you to Hashem he, having been in the basar [TEHILLIM 16:9-10] put to death, yet, in the Ruach Hakodesh, having been made alive [4:6]; [see Isa 53:8]

The point is changing the words can change the meaning and a lot of these newer versions have done that rather than clarify what was originally written, they have tried to improve the scriptures according to the way they think it should be understood..but is that right to change the text...

salvation through faith given to ""all"" who choose to believe is fine, but the study of our salvation also must include why people believe what they believe. Christ said all they that believe and come to Him because they are drawn and taught by God's Holy Spirit. John 6:43-46, which gives all glory, praises and honor to God regarding our individual salvation.

Wrong. The King James version is not based on the oldest and most reliable manuscripts. I use the NRSV, because that's the version preferred among most biblical scholars.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
Wrong. The King James version is not based on the oldest and most reliable manuscripts. I use the NRSV, because that's the version preferred among most biblical scholars.

New Revised Standard Version – Pro’s and Con’s
Overall, the New Revised Standard Version is a good English Bible translation. The fact that the NRSV has a Catholic version (including the Apocrypha), and the fact that it is "gender-inclusive" in some of its renderings, prevented it from being adopted by most conservative and evangelical Christians. Also, many consider the NRSV to not be as free-flowing and natural-sounding English as it could be.

Here is an obvious example of word switching done for gender - inclusiveness reasons which definitely affects the meaning.
Isaiah 7:14 21st Century King James Version (KJ21)
14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign: Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.

Isaiah 7:14New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.

I don't have to change my mind about the new versions, which they you say have 'improved' .

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who believe. This belief results in eternal salvation.

For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to ""all"" people. Titus 2:11.....................
I don't think I'm following you here.

The first 2 sentences is the strong Calvinist position. That is if "only" those who believe are said to be offered salvation. Did you mean that?

The same first 2 sentences (without the "only" idea) represent the majority of Calvinist's view. That is to say that almost all Calvinists believe along with the Arminians that the offer of salvation is a real offer given to everyone in the entire world.

The quoted scripture (taken just as it's written in the scriptures) is the Arminian (or 4 point Calvinist) position. It is (as stated above) also the view of vast majority of 5 point Calvinists.

I hold the typical Calvinist position - just as taught in the scriptures if take without any qualifiers such as those used by the hardest line Calvinists.

Are you strictly Arminian? Are you in the majority Calvinist camp? Are you a 4 point Calvinist like I am.

Could you clarify your position for us just so we'll know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
[The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who believe, ]

- it is not just an "offer of salvation", but "salvation" itself

- faith is the essence behind believing, something the demons do not have although they "believe". the object of faith is the gospel, which is christ. thus we have faith in christ.

faith is the 'instrumental cause' - the means
christ is the object of our faith - who actually saves you.​

so correctly your statement should simply be :

Salvation is given to all who have faith in Christ.

• Agree
Reactions: Marvin Knox
Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
[The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who believe, ]

- it is not just an "offer of salvation", but "salvation" itself

- faith is the essence behind believing, something the demons do not have although they "believe". the object of faith is the gospel, which is christ. thus we have faith in christ.

faith is the 'instrumental cause' - the means
christ is the object of our faith - who actually saves you.​

so correctly your statement should simply be :

Salvation is given to all who have faith in Christ.

That is good, who obtains salvation?, why the elect obtain salvation and the rest are going to die in their sins, because they are blinded in their minds, in a state of stupor and hardened. Stupor means they are stunned as if they have been whacked in the head so hard they no longer can think and are unresponsive. If you notice, unbelievers will dispute with you about the gospel and will not respond in faith.

Stupor (From Latin stupere, "be stunned or amazed") is the lack of critical mental function and a level of consciousness wherein a sufferer is almost entirely unresponsive and only responds to base stimuli such as pain.

2 Cor 4 says they are blinded in their minds by the god of this world (satan)

Romans 11 says they are given a spirit of stupor by God, God gives them eyes so that they don't see the truth, and God gives the ears that they should not hear the truth.

7 What then? Israel has not obtained what it seeks; but the elect have obtained it, and the rest were blinded. 8 Just as it is written:

“God has given them a spirit of stupor,
Eyes that they should not see
And ears that they should not hear,
To this very day.”

9 And David says:

“Let their table become a snare and a trap,
A stumbling block and a recompense to them.
10 Let their eyes be darkened, so that they do not see,
And bow down their back always.”

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If that's the case, then someone can commit terrible actions while believing in Jesus and still get the highest reward of heaven among good believers.
Not at all. Every person, believer and unbeliever, will be judged according to what they DID.

But the difference is that for the believer, the judgment is to determine whether one will be eternally rewarded and the for unbeliever, the judgment is to determine the degree of "toleration" in the lake of fire.

Believer's judgment: 2 Cor 5:10 - For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Unbeliever's judgment: Rev 20:11-15
11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books.
The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done.
14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.
15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

This passage shows WHY people will end up in the lake of fire: for not possessing eternal life, which is given to those who believe in Jesus Christ.

We know there will be "degrees of toleration" in the lake of fire because of what Jesus Himself said:
Matt 11:22-24
22 "Nevertheless I say to you, it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon in the day of judgment than for you. 23 "And you, Capernaum, will not be exalted to heaven, will you? You will descend to Hades; for if the miracles had occurred in Sodom which occurred in you, it would have remained to this day. 24 "Nevertheless I say to you that it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom in the day of judgment, than for you." NASU

The same concept is found in Matt 1:15 and Luke 10:12 and 14.

You can rest assured that there will be differences in heaven, just as there is on earth, to demonstrate who has God's favor: 1 Cor 11:19 - No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are not some versions of the Bible corrupted?Do you think that matters?"all" is just not here in the 'Greek text' nor the King James, but it does show up in a few other bible versions..."1 Peter Chapter 3 (KJV)"
But maybe you think it should.

No. The topic is perfect.
All men have flaws. Language
chief among all flaws.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The offer of salvation through faith is given to ""all"" who choose to believe.
So, I would like to propose a different view, for the forum's consideration.

Traditionally, the debate has been between faith and works. Between what we believe, and what we do. We instinctively feel that 'works' cannot be the justification for salvation, or the rich and powerful, who are in a position to do greater works than the rest of us little people, would get to enjoy heaven while the rest of us don't. They would get the best of this life, and the best of the next life, also. That cannot be 'fair', and we know God is supremely Just.

But salvation by faith alone has it's problems, also. Faith is not a matter of simple 'choice'. If you doubt this, try becoming a Muslim for the next five minutes, and then revert back to your current beliefs, whatever they are. I bet you can't do it. Our faith is heavily influenced by the culture we inhabit, which is why most people born in Christian cultures remain Christian, Jewish Jews, Muslim Muslim, Buddhist Buddhist, and so on. So, for the vast majority, if a Christian faith is the only criterion for salvation, most of us are saved or condemned by accident of birth; by where, and to who, we are born. This doesn't seem 'fair', either, and we know God is supremely Just.

So, my proposal is this: we are saved by how we are. How we are is a matter of character, our way of being. Good people get to go to Heaven, and bad people don't. Religions help, in that they help bad people become good, and good people, better. But what religions don't do is define the quality of our afterlife. I contend that this is mainly a matter of our personal virtue, or lack of it. That would seem to be 'fair', and we know God is supremely Just.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
So, I would like to propose a different view, for the forum's consideration.

Traditionally, the debate has been between faith and works. Between what we believe, and what we do. We instinctively feel that 'works' cannot be the justification for salvation, or the rich and powerful, who are in a position to do greater works than the rest of us little people, would get to enjoy heaven while the rest of us don't. They would get the best of this life, and the best of the next life, also. That cannot be 'fair', and we know God is supremely Just.

But salvation by faith alone has it's problems, also. Faith is not a matter of simple 'choice'. If you doubt this, try becoming a Muslim for the next five minutes, and then revert back to your current beliefs, whatever they are. I bet you can't do it. Our faith is heavily influenced by the culture we inhabit, which is why most people born in Christian cultures remain Christian, Jewish Jews, Muslim Muslim, Buddhist Buddhist, and so on. So, for the vast majority, if a Christian faith is the only criterion for salvation, most of us are saved or condemned by accident of birth; by where, and to who, we are born. This doesn't seem 'fair', either, and we know God is supremely Just.

So, my proposal is this: we are saved by how we are. How we are is a matter of character, our way of being. Good people get to go to Heaven, and bad people don't. Religions help, in that they help bad people become good, and good people, better. But what religions don't do is define the quality of our afterlife. I contend that this is mainly a matter of our personal virtue, or lack of it. That would seem to be 'fair', and we know God is supremely Just.

Best wishes, Strivax.
The problem is there is none righteous. None who does good. We are all born and conceived in sin, and guilty before God. So regardless of where you grow up, all are guilty before God. So what's just and fair, is for God to judge all mankind according to our wickedness, and condemn us to hell for eternity under His wrath. That's our just penalty for our rebellion and sin. Grace, Mercy and forgiveness is ONLY found in Christ Jesus. The blood and righteousness of Christ saves sinners Alone. Your proposal is that of rebellion and contrary to the truth. Turn from those thoughts and seek Gods mercy and to be found in Christ Jesus.. For that is your only hope

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, this is such a miserable, misanthropic view of humanity that I wonder anyone can hold it and simultaneously obey Jesus' second great commandment, that we should love our neighbour as ourselves*. The truth is, not being perfect does not mean one is not good, anymore than not being diabolical means one is not bad. There is a greyscale of moral stature operating here, ranging from worst, through worse, bad, good and better to best. As I survey the world, I see much good being done by people of all faiths and none who simply do not deserve to rot in Hell for eternity, and I would hazard a guess that God thinks the same, because we know God is supremely Just.

Best wishes, Strivax.

* Matthew 22:39, KJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As I survey the world, I see much good being done by people of all faiths and none who simply do not deserve to rot in Hell for eternity, and I would hazard a guess that God thinks the same, because we know God is supremely Just.

Best wishes, Strivax.
Why do you believe that "none (of all faiths) who simply do not deserve to rot in Hell for eternity"?

What, then, do they deserve?

Do you understand God's grace? That we receive salvation by grace, which means that we didn't deserve it nor earned it?

Everyone who will spend eternity in the lake of fire are there freom their own choice. They did not accept the free gift of God, being eternal life. Rev 20:15

• Agree
Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why do you believe that "none (of all faiths) who simply do not deserve to rot in Hell for eternity"?

Well, as it happens, I can conceive of no crime committed in finite time that warrants eternal torment.

What, then, do they deserve?

Justice.

Do you understand God's grace? That we receive salvation by grace, which means that we didn't deserve it nor earned it?

Everyone who will spend eternity in the lake of fire are there freom their own choice. They did not accept the free gift of God, being eternal life. Rev 20:15

I know this is taught in some Christian circles, but I beg to disagree. I think good people deserve to be rewarded, and bad people punished. It's that simple. I cannot see how any other outcome is compatible with God's supreme Justice.

Best wishes, Strivax.

Upvote 0