Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The gun-rights group has its biggest champion in the White House. But its financial situation has worsened in the age of Trump

The nation’s leading gun-rights organization saw its income drop by $55 million last year, after a record-breaking 2016 in which the group and its political affiliates spent unprecedented sums to elect President Donald Trump.

The National Rifle Association of America reported $98 million in contributions in 2017, down from nearly $125 million in 2016, according to new tax records obtained by The Daily Beast. Nearly one-fifth of its contributions last year came from a single anonymous donor, who chipped in nearly $19 million to the group.

More noteworthy than its drop in contributions, though, was its decline in membership dues. The NRA took in more than $128 million in dues last year—a significant sum, but down considerably from the $163 million it took in the year prior. That decline, more than the drop in direct contributions, appears to indicate a dwindling, if still formidable, base of public support.

Anybody else find it a little suspicious that "nearly a fifth of its contributions last year came from a single anonymous donor, who chipped in nearly $19 million to the group"?

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
article said:
The nation’s leading gun-rights organization saw its income drop by $55 million last year,...
article said:
The National Rifle Association of America reported $98 million in contributions in 2017, down from nearly $125 million in 2016,...
I count a $27M difference. Do they think that their readers can't/won't do the math...?

• Haha
Reactions: blackhead
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I count a $27M difference. Do they think that their readers can't/won't do the math...?
or it could be revenue from other sources were also down.

for example (also from the article), "More noteworthy than its drop in contributions, though, was its decline in membership dues."
So dues and contributions are ledgered independently. There's also magazine subscriptions and paraphernalia sales

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I think they think their readers will actually read the whole article, then do the math. It wasn't just the contributions that were down.

More noteworthy than its drop in contributions, though, was its decline in membership dues. The NRA took in more than $128 million in dues last year—a significant sum, but down considerably from the $163 million it took in the year prior. That decline, more than the drop in direct contributions, appears to indicate a dwindling, if still formidable, base of public support.

In all, the NRA reported just under $312 million in total income, down from nearly $367 million the year before.

$367 million - $312 million = $55 million

• Agree
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

Or actually read the article...

"In all, the NRA reported just under $312 million in total income, down from nearly $367 million the year before."

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. It was inaccessible because of my ad-blocker.

I hate that and the sites that you have to pay a month for in order to read one story.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
They don't have their boogeyman to raise money against.

I hope they fold. They really are useless.

As a gun rights advocate who's done some digging...The 2nd Amendment Foundation is the org that's won all of the key/landmark cases protecting gun rights. They're much smaller, and less nutty than the NRA, then the NRA swoops in and tries to claim credit for it.

For instance, a solitary lawyer for 2AF basically won the DC v. Heller Case, and the NRA insisted on filing a motion to allow their attorney to speak, even though the case was already wrapped up and the court was ready to rule in favor of gun owners, just so they could claim "look, we won this case for gun owners!"

Anyone who researches case history and actual accomplishments gives money to 2AF...people easily persuaded by yelling and fearmongering (and who aren't particularly concerned with actual results) give money to the NRA.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks. It was inaccessible because of my ad-blocker.

It's not blocked by my ad blocker so I wasn't aware an issue. Feel free to let me know if you can't access an article I've posted & I'll be glad to help you out. On account of the rules here I can't paste the whole article in the OP, but what I can do is send it to you in a PM. Or just copy more parts of it into a post like I did above.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0