FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

NOTHING!

1. Not death.

2. Not life.

3. Not angels.

4. Not powers.

5. Not the present/ not the future.

6. No power.
54857-33934-066.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"It wasn’t so long ago that you were mired in that old stagnant life of sin. You let the world, which doesn’t know the first thing about living, tell you how to live. You filled your lungs with polluted unbelief, and then exhaled disobedience.

We all did it, all of us doing what we felt like doing, when we felt like doing it, all of us in the same boat.

It’s a wonder God didn’t lose his temper and do away with the whole lot of us. Instead, immense in mercy and with an incredible love, he embraced us. He took our sin-dead lives and made us alive in Christ. He did all this on his own, with no help from us! Then he picked us up and set us down in highest heaven in company with Jesus, our Messiah." -The Message-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
“For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

NOTHING!

1. Not death.

2. Not life.

3. Not angels.

4. Not powers.

6. No power.

The things one can learn on Christian forums.

The following is a response from one who is in dire need of an expanding experience of the Living God!

"Except not believing in Jesus. That turns God's love into vengeful wrath against you."

Just think on that for a nanosecond.

Time for a song?

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
And to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fulness of God. Eph 3:19

The more we come to know it the more we are filled with it. Why waste a lifetime wondering what sin is when you can spend that same time knowing and being filled with the love of God.

How can anyone say they have God figured out because in the bible there is all you you need to know. Well the bible says his love surpasses our comprehension. And these so called bible believers on here mpsdoing everything they can to bring down to their own understanding expect us to take them seriously? -Pcamps-

hyperballō=

Above & beyond.

Above.

To throw beyond.

Surpassing/ transcending/ excelling/ exceeding.

It is all so clear

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Is God's holiness greater than His love?

Why are fundamentalists so afraid to let love reign supreme and over and over limit it by claiming He is holy?

and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.

Ephesians 3:19

God's love surpasses any "knowledge" you may think you have of His holiness. And understanding that fills one with all the fulness of God.

Not sinning doesn't get one to heaven. It never has and never will.

But God's LOVE will, not His holiness, nor His righteousness, nor His immutability-----
His LOVE.

All those other attributes are PRODUCTS of His love. Not the other way around.

-Thank you Wardendresden-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would like to prescribe for the purpose of you being renewed by transformation of your mind a very easy to follow mental diet.

It will mean locking your Bible away for a few months until you come to the realization that God loves you greater than the Bible could ever cause you to see. If you can do that first thing in the morning and last thing at night look at yourself in the mirror, point to yourself and speak life to yourself by saying "God loves you more than you will EVER know”. I challenge you to do this to see the remarkable change it will bring to your whole being. -Pcamps-

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

NOTHING!

1. Not death.

2. Not life.

3. Not angels.

4. Not powers.

6. No power.
This applies to "believers", to those who are "in Christ", who have repented, and are thus saved.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would like to prescribe for the purpose of you being renewed by transformation of your mind a very easy to follow mental diet.

It will mean locking your Bible away for a few months until you come to the realization that God loves you greater than the Bible could ever cause you to see. If you can do that first thing in the morning and last thing at night look at yourself in the mirror, point to yourself and speak life to yourself by saying "God loves you more than you will EVER know”. I challenge you to do this to see the remarkable change it will bring to your whole being. -Pcamps-

"You pour over the Scriptures because you presume/ suppose in them you possess everlasting life"

BUT

"they testify of Me/ points to Me/ bear witness of Me."

and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life.

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This applies to "believers", to those who are "in Christ", who have repented, and are thus saved.

All too often, when presented with a UR-leaning Scripture, the non-UR believer states that it only applies to believers, even when the context and grammar indicate otherwise. I have seen the same tactic in many threads. I smell fudge, bias and bad translation.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You pour over the Scriptures because you presume/ suppose in them you possess everlasting life"

BUT
"they testify of Me/ points to Me/ bear witness of Me."
and you are unwilling to come to Me, that you may have life.
Good verse..........
Gehenna equals destruction?

John 5:39
Ye are searching the Writings
that ye are seeming<1380> in them life age-during/αἰώνιος (aiōnios)<166> to be having, and those are the ones testifying about Me.
“But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
41 “I do not receive honor from men.
42 “But I know you, that you do not have the love of God in you.

Matthew 23:33
Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of the Gehenna?

2Peter 3:16
As also in all the letters, speaking in them about these-things; in which are difficult to understand any which the un-learned and un-steadfast are wresting/twisting as also the rest of Writings,
toward the own of them destruction/
apwleian <684>. [# 684 used reve 17:8, 11]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Shrewd Manager

Through him, in all things, more than conquerors.
Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good verse..........
Gehenna equals destruction?

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. (Rev 21:8)

That's right, Gehenna fire is the power of His presence that destroys sin, the dross of impurity that keeps folks dead to Christ in their sins and trespasses. Once the sinner's cowardice, unbelief, treachery, lechery, debauchery, sorcery, idolatry and falsehood have been served, what springs anew is humility and repentance, and rejoicing in God's abundant grace and mercy...behold the new man in Christ!

For nought can stand in the way of His salvation.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death. (Rev 21:8)

That's right, Gehenna fire is the power of His presence that destroys sin, the dross of impurity that keeps folks dead to Christ in their sins and trespasses. Once the sinner's cowardice, unbelief, treachery, lechery, debauchery, sorcery, idolatry and falsehood have been served, what springs anew is humility and repentance, and rejoicing in God's abundant grace and mercy...behold the new man in Christ!

For nought can stand in the way of His salvation.
Please unpack this verse below for me based upon what you've just shared. I've sought God for revelation for decades, but received nothing.

JAM 3:5 So the tongue is a little member and boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is an unrighteous world among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the cycle of nature, and set on fire by hell.

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Please unpack this verse below for me based upon what you've just shared. I've sought God for revelation for decades, but received nothing.

JAM 3:5 So the tongue is a little member and boasts of great things. How great a forest is set ablaze by a small fire! 6 And the tongue is a fire. The tongue is an unrighteous world among our members, staining the whole body, setting on fire the cycle of nature, and set on fire by hell.

I'd start with the cautionary words of verse 3:1 by way of disclaimer:

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

In context, it's probably a fairly standard reading that the admonition is to control one's tongue especially 'in the heat of the moment' or 'when under fire', as it were. He's highlighting how 'loose lips sink ships' and one thoughtless remark can mess up the rest of your life.

Does the figurative use of the term Gehenna in this context shed light on Gehenna/ LOF eschatology? Probably no more than you'd get insight into mine if I told you 'The boss gave me hell but I managed to keep from saying something I'd later regret.'

That said, I'll have a try. Gehenna is that place where we 'get a taste of our own medicine' on the reaping/sowing justice principle (correction for restoration). God's holy perfect presence exposes our works and the folly of our self-righteousness, the wood hay and stubble of our false identities.

Hence the burning feeling we experience in normal life in shame, humiliation or injured pride.('You called me a what?!') It's the process of destruction of sin, and it can only burn while the sin persists.

In verse 11 he contrasts fresh and salt water, which reminds me immediately of Jesus in Mk 9:49-50, after warning of the seriousness of Gehenna:

For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, with what will you season it? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with one another.

It's the same kind of sentiment as 'blessed are you when you're reviled' (Mt 5:11) or 'For your sake we're slaughtered as sheep all day long' (Rom 8:36), or 'He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word' (Is 53:7). Turn the other cheek. Have grace under fire. Repay evil with good etc.

So James is maybe using it to remind us that 'truth hurts', as it unexpectedly provokes, hits a nerve, presses our buttons, confronts the illusions we hold dear and offends our sense of justice, dignity and righteousness (eg I'll never deny you Jesus, I'm an honest person, manipulation has value, I'm not an addict, wild drunken orgies are just harmless fun). Teachers in particular need to take care because of the puffery of knowledge and authority that goes with the territory.

Probably a bit undercooked, any benefit?

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'd start with the cautionary words of verse 3:1 by way of disclaimer:

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

In context, it's probably a fairly standard reading that the admonition is to control one's tongue especially 'in the heat of the moment' or 'when under fire', as it were. He's highlighting how 'loose lips sink ships' and one thoughtless remark can mess up the rest of your life.

Does the figurative use of the term Gehenna in this context shed light on Gehenna/ LOF eschatology? Probably no more than you'd get insight into mine if I told you 'The boss gave me hell but I managed to keep from saying something I'd later regret.'

That said, I'll have a try. Gehenna is that place where we 'get a taste of our own medicine' on the reaping/sowing justice principle (correction for restoration). God's holy perfect presence exposes our works and the folly of our self-righteousness, the wood hay and stubble of our false identities.

Hence the burning feeling we experience in normal life in shame, humiliation or injured pride.('You called me a what?!') It's the process of destruction of sin, and it can only burn while the sin persists.

In verse 11 he contrasts fresh and salt water, which reminds me immediately of Jesus in Mk 9:49-50, after warning of the seriousness of Gehenna:

For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, with what will you season it? Have salt among yourselves, and be at peace with one another.

It's the same kind of sentiment as 'blessed are you when you're reviled' (Mt 5:11) or 'For your sake we're slaughtered as sheep all day long' (Rom 8:36), or 'He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet he never said a word' (Is 53:7). Turn the other cheek. Have grace under fire. Repay evil with good etc.

So James is maybe using it to remind us that 'truth hurts', as it unexpectedly provokes, hits a nerve, presses our buttons, confronts the illusions we hold dear and offends our sense of justice, dignity and righteousness (eg I'll never deny you Jesus, I'm an honest person, manipulation has value, I'm not an addict, wild drunken orgies are just harmless fun). Teachers in particular need to take care because of the puffery of knowledge and authority that goes with the territory.

Probably a bit undercooked, any benefit?
I can't say I disagree with most of what you share, but as for feeling like it hit the revelation bell, I can't say I'm at peace. :(

Upvote 0

Shrewd Manager

Site Supporter
Aug 16, 2019
Melbourne
✟364,409.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can't say I disagree with most of what you share, but as for feeling like it hit the revelation bell, I can't say I'm at peace. :(

Fair enough, I hope someone smart comes along and gives us both more insight into this verse. Universalists are by nature a bit thick, we mostly stare at foundations.

Do you think he's talking about the afterlife or just using a figure of speech? I don't see any kind of prophetic warning 'In Gehenna you'll be cursing and moaning', or as a consequence eg 'Shut it or go to hell'. Compare Jesus emphasising the sentence for a 'Raca!' requiring Gehenna fire to purge the sin of anger/ murder that drives it. It's a bit the other way around here, ie 'hell' causes rather than cures the cursing.

The tongue can also set the heart ablaze with divine fire: They said to each other, “Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?” (Lk 24:32)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.