The Non-Orthodox - Patrick Barnes's book

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KATHXOYMENOC

The book The Non-Orthodox: The Orthodox Teaching on Christians Outside of the Church, by Patrick Barnes (Webmaster of http://www.orthodoxinfo.com), available for free online here:

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/non-orthodox.pdf

93 pages.

Barnes takes issue with the oft-heard statement: "We know where the church is; we don't know where the church is not." (pp. 55-56) and recommends instead: "We know who is in the church but we cannot be sure who will not be." (p. 56)

Have any here found this book valuable in understanding and distilling the Orthodox position vis-a-vis those not in the Orthodox Church?

K

KATHXOYMENOC

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
the author of that particular website insists on referring to it as a web-log rather than a "blog" on the grounds that "blog" sounds pretty horrible. I feel like indulging his eccentricity?

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

the author of that particular website insists on referring to it as a web-log rather than a "blog" on the grounds that "blog" sounds pretty horrible. I feel like indulging his eccentricity?

Okay. But if orrologian or your friend (I'm not sure which of these two "Web logs" you are referring to) insists on calling it a "Web log," he probably should have picked someone other than "Blogger" to host his "Web log."

Because every site on "Blogger" is a B-L-O-G. :)

(Plus, "Web log" is not a hyphenated word.)

Yes, "blog" sounds like a Star Trek race, or a Russian/Eastern European term; it's not the prettiest-sounding word in the English language.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟116,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am referring to Gabriel's excellent web-log. "weblog" is generally written as one word in that manner. the hyphen was introduced to make sure they were pronounced distinctly and as a counterpoint to the joking "we blog" which gave rise to the term "blog". writing it as two words ["web log"] should also be adequate. hope that helps.

Upvote 0
K

KATHXOYMENOC

I am referring to Gabriel's excellent web-log. "weblog" is generally written as one word in that manner. the hyphen was introduced to make sure they were pronounced distinctly and as a counterpoint to the joking "we blog" which gave rise to the term "blog". writing it as two words ["web log"] should also be adequate. hope that helps.

Actually, I think I, too, prefer the term "Web log." Maybe I'll start referring to my blogspot site as my "Web log" instead of as my "blog." Who knows, maybe it will catch on?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

minasoliman

Veteran
Mar 21, 2005
Visit site
✟9,040.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is an interesting issue that I find myself sometimes in a bind.

I don't find it surprising that Patrick Barnes takes issue with Bishop Kallistos' sentence there. In fact, it's this foundational disagreement that allows him to oppose other issues, such as the ecumenical talks (especially with RC's), the OO/EO issues, and perhaps even the "what happens to those outside of the Church" debate.

But I also take issue with Bishop Kallistos Ware's quote too slightly. I do have a traditionalist background, and I feel that such a quote is against clear Biblical and ancient Christian beliefs, unless it can be clarified. I seem to lean towards agreeing with Patrick Barnes on this one.

Among other issues, why can't Orthodox faithful even agree on something like this? Would this not open the door to pluralism?

God bless.

Mina

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.