The Nobel Disease

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Nobel disease has been defined as "an affliction of certain Nobel Prize recipients which causes them to embrace strange or scientifically unsound ideas, usually later in life."*

Major examples.

• Informative
Reactions: JackRT

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Cosmic raccoons???
Poe's Law:
Poe's Law states:[1]
Without a clear indication of the author's intent, it is difficult or impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.
He apparently said:
Once he turned on the lights and left sacks of groceries on the floor, he lighted his path to the outhouse with a flashlight. On the way, he saw something glowing under a fir tree. Shining the flashlight on this glow, it seemed to be a raccoon with little black eyes. The raccoon spoke, saying, ‘Good evening, doctor,’ and he replied with a hello.
Personally, I've always been suspicious of the little critters, too .. they're too unnaturally smart! :eek:
:)

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟959,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cosmic raccoons???
Rocket Raccoon
full

What controversy...!?​

• Haha
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Poe's Law:

He apparently said:personally, I've always been suspicious of the little critters, too .. they're too unnaturally smart! :eek:
:)
Or indeed it might have been the effects of LSD..............

I never heard of the term "Nobel Disease" until I read a not too flattering description of
Freeman Dyson who died recently and was considered a certainty to win the Nobel Prize for his work in Quantum Field Theory; except it never happened.
If he did win the prize he too would have suffered the "Nobel Disease".

Dyson considered himself a non-denominational Christian and believed in non-overlapping magisteria. Some of the material he had written on metaphysics, though, is much less Christian than it is reminiscent of various theories of quantum consciousness, panentheism, panpsychism, and other sorts of New Agey science woo.

Dyson succumbed to old age crank syndrome as well, becoming a global warming denier.[2] However, he never did any actual criticizing of climate science besides dismissing the models as flawed and saying that if it is a real problem, we can easily cook up some super-tree to suck the carbon dioxide out of the air. Dyson's support for deniers seems to have been the result of wanting to stick it to the scientific man:

“”My objections to the global warming propaganda are not so much over the technical facts, about which I do not know much, but it’s rather against the way those people behave and the kind of intolerance to criticism that a lot of them have. I think that’s what upsets me.[3]
So… yeah, thanks for that.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,444.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I never heard of the term "Nobel Disease" until I read a not too flattering description of
Freeman Dyson who died recently and was considered a certainty to win the Nobel Prize for his work in Quantum Field Theory; except it never happened.
If he did win the prize he too would have suffered the "Nobel Disease".
.. which, in his case, I think began to take hold about the time he started talking about Dyson Spheres (which I think will end up being his most recognised legacy, sadly).

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟276,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.. which, in his case, I think began to take hold about the time he started talking about Dyson Spheres (which I think will end up being his most recognised legacy, sadly).
For those of that did Quantum Field Theory his legacy was the Dyson series.
Probably explains why he didn't get Nobel Prize for extreme cruelty as his maths would have driven many a student to hallucinate cosmic raccoons.:)

Upvote 0