Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would note that for some Anglican provinces (and some Anglicans not in the Anglican Communion), the Articles are not as important as in others. In TEC, The 39 Articles are included in our Prayer Book, "because of their historical interest".

1) The Nicene Creed is highly significant, along with the Apostle's Creed and to a lesser extent the Athanasius' Creed. Our 39 Atricles of Religion state it as much. However, in our tradition, it's almost always said at the Eucharist and in more parishes then not,the Eucharist is celebrated weekly.

2) While I cannot fully speak for the whole Anglican tradition, IMO I think we choose to use WE cause in our tradition, we use the Apostle's Creed at Baptism as a statement of personal faith, therefore in this case the "we" pronoun would mean we as the Church Universal believe in the following.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
1) The Nicene Creed is highly significant, along with the Apostle's Creed and to a lesser extent the Athanasius' Creed. Our 39 Atricles of Religion state it as much. However, in our tradition, it's almost always said at the Eucharist and in more parishes then not,the Eucharist is celebrated weekly.

2) While I cannot fully speak for the whole Anglican tradition, IMO I think we choose to use WE cause in our tradition, we use the Apostle's Creed at Baptism as a statement of personal faith, therefore in this case the "we" pronoun would mean we as the Church Universal believe in the following.

Just an observation - I was in the Anglican Catholic Church (one of the Continuing groups in the States) in the '90s, and we said "I believe . . .". Of course we used the 1924(?) Prayer Book. I wonder what the 1979 BCP uses?

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Eucharistic rite I and II of the 1979 American BCP use the term we and the filoque has been removed.

Edit: The Candaian BCP of 1959 still has the term I and the filoque is not omitted,however BCP usage in Canda is increasingly rare with the 1986 Book of Alternative Services used instead, in which the Creed is in line with the 79 American BCP.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anglicans are allowed to (and often do) omit the filoque.

The Episcopal Church has voted to remove the filioque in the next version of The Book of Common Prayer. However, the next version of The Book of Common Prayer may not come out in our lifetime. My church still inserts it, although I know one fellow who stops talking at the words, "and the Son." I know him quite well. Fine fellow. :sunglasses:

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
The Episcopal Church has voted to remove the filioque in the next version of The Book of Common Prayer. However, the next version of The Book of Common Prayer may not come out in our lifetime. My church still inserts it, although I know one fellow who stops talking at the words, "and the Son." I know him quite well. Fine fellow. :sunglasses:

That came about with Ecumenical talks with Orthodox groups and it is a slow process to fully remove the filoque from the Creed in national prayer books.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That came about with Ecumenical talks with Orthodox groups and it is a slow process to fully remove the filoque from the Creed in national prayer books.

I have been told it won't be removed until The Book of Common Prayer undergoes its next revision. It is still in the 1979 BCP so we still say it...most of us anyway. Most of them anyway. :sunglasses:

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I know one fellow who stops talking at the words, "and the Son." I know him quite well. Fine fellow. :sunglasses:
I do that too. What's the point of saying an ecumenical creed if you don't use the ecumenical text?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟836,995.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I do that too. What's the point of saying an ecumenical creed if you don't use the ecumenical text?
I do also.

In addition, in the Lord's Prayer, I pray "deliver us from the Evil One", rather the amorphous "delver us from evil". I'm pretty sure that is the proper translation.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1.My first question before even reaching the words of the Nicene Creed itself, is, in your tradition, what significance does the Creed have, and how important is it? Is it used regularly in your worship services?
Very. We recite it in every Mass.

I am Catholic, if that helps.

2. There are differences in the use of "I" or "we" between the different traditions. How important is the use of the singular versus plural pronoun, and why has your tradition chosen this particular one for use?
I won't speak to theological issues going on with "I" vs. "we". But as a matter of preference, I like "we" since the creed is recited by the laity in unison. Saying "we" is probably more appropriate for that setting.

Plus, the entire point of reciting the creed collectively is to illustrate and reinforce unity. Using a singular personal pronoun is a bit illogical.

I don't see it as a deal breaker, you understand. This is entirely about my personal preference.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Very. We recite it in every Mass.

I am Catholic, if that helps.

I won't speak to theological issues going on with "I" vs. "we". But as a matter of preference, I like "we" since the creed is recited by the laity in unison. Saying "we" is probably more appropriate for that setting.

Plus, the entire point of reciting the creed collectively is to illustrate and reinforce unity. Using a singular personal pronoun is a bit illogical.

I don't see it as a deal breaker, you understand. This is entirely about my personal preference.
Thank you for your response. Yes, I too like the "we" in collective worship.

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Sung, chanted or read out loud the Nicene Creed as published in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer has a beautiful sound to it... The new translation in the A Prayer Book for Australia is quite the same in my humble opinion:

I BELIEVE in one God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, And of all things visible and invisible:

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten son of God, Begotten of his Father before all worlds, God of God, Light of Light, Very God of very God, Begotten, not made, Being of one substance with the Father, By whom all things were made: Who for us men, and for our salvation came down from heaven, And was incarnate by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary, And was made man, And was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate. He suffered and was buried, And the third day he rose again according to the Scriptures, And ascended into heaven, And sitteth on the right hand of the Father. And he shall come again with glory to judge both the quick and dead: Whose kingdom shall have no end.
And I believe in the Holy Ghost, The Lord and giver of life, Who proceedeth from the Father and the Son, Who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified, Who spake by the Prophets. And I believe one Catholick and Apostolick Church. I acknowledge one Baptism for the remission of sins. And I look for the Resurrection of the dead, And the life of the world to come. Amen.

Upvote 0