The next generation of Republican candidates (2016)

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So said Romney and the GOP.

So do you think it was the way he courted the libertarian vote that put President Obama over the top? Somehow I missed Ron Paul's endorsement of Pres. Obama's libertarian credentials? I'm not that far removed from being a libertarian myself but I know that the country is that far removed .

Upvote 0

ByronArn

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jul 28, 2011
Ohio, USA
Visit site
✟11,502.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I think Christie pretty much did his chances in by his love fest with the President. I'm sure there will continue be a lot of resentment about that from many quarters of the Republican party.

"Love fest"?!? Oh, you must mean how he reach across party lines to work with the President of the United States of America to help he people of his state in a time of dire need.

And this is a bad thing, how?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I could see Ron Paul going at it again and having a stronger showing, unless the Republicans pull out the same old strategy four years from now, which is likely considering that they had such a narrow loss in the popular vote.

Ron Paul will be about 80 years old in 2016. ^_^

Upvote 0

Drekkan85

Immortal until proven otherwise
Dec 9, 2008
Japan
✟23,051.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
More important than economic dogma or other matters the Republicans will never win as long as primaries like the one we saw take place. A party that denies basic science from Climate Change to Evolution won't be taken seriously. More importantly, a party that relies on the white vote - particularly the white male vote - can no longer win an election in America.

The Republicans won the white male vote by more than 25 points. That's massive. It still didn't help because they lost every single minority by significant margins. Your party cannot be seen as retrograde on immigration reform, racial civil rights, and gay rights and expect to win an election in the future.

Something's gotta give... and that's certain positions taken by the Republican party.

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are so few actual libertarians in the country I can't see how they could possibly be of any significance.
Most of them carry the democrat banner mistakenly, thinking opposing anti-abortion or supporting gay marriage can only be done at the cost of supporting big government. Some are moderate republicans (the sort that are generally right but see pot prohibition as pointless). Few are the home-school, raw milk, "I'll distill my own whiskey" sort of libertarians that actually get counted. I believe many counted as "moderates" are actually people with values and thoughts, who don't groove to the left because they think rationally or don't groove to the right because State mandated morality grates on their nerves. It only takes the Tea Party to unite with disillusioned democrats to put a libertarian in office and kill the GOP after the fashion of whigs. I am not an Obama fan, but at this point and partly because of that, I want the GOP to die.

Upvote 0

bigbadwilf

Drinking from the glass half-empty
Dec 22, 2008
Oxford, UK
✟8,706.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
tumblr_lrufh17cAt1qd5idfo1_500.jpg

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Considering the thread asked about potential Republican candidates, I don't see Hiliary running for the Republicans. :D

You never know. ;)

He is more articulate then Palin, but much less accomplished.

Really? How did he end up at a potential vice president then? The Republican party must be worse than I thought.

After falling on her sword for Obama I'd say the chances are slim to none....

Why do you think that?

Upvote 0

ziggy29

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think Christie pretty much did his chances in by his love fest with the President. I'm sure there will continue be a lot of resentment about that from many quarters of the Republican party.

If that's the case, shame on "many quarters of the Republican party" for putting partisan victory over the relieving of human misery.

Party over country -- on both sides -- is why we are in such terrible shape today.

Upvote 0

max1120

seeker
Oct 9, 2008
✟9,676.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the Republican party wants to remain politically relevant than they should seriously consider a moderate Republican. For example, John Huntsman (former U.S Ambassador to China) or Jeb Bush (former Governor of Florida and son of former president George H.W. Bush). Another possibility would be Colin Powell (retired General and former U.S. Secretary of State under George W. Bush) Unfortunately, the "tea party" take over of the Republican party may make this impossible. However, if the Republicans seriously desire to regain relevance and have a real chance at winning the White House in 2016 than it is time for them to throw the "Tea Party" under the bus or risk having the Tea Party steal the bus and run over the Republican Party.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If the Republican party wants to remain politically relevant than they should seriously consider a moderate Republican.

That is the polar opposite of true. They just did that, two elections in a row. Republicans aren't winning because they aren't willing to run a real candidate or one who has a discernibly different agenda than the democrats.

Unfortunately, the "tea party" take over of the Republican party may make this impossible. However, if the Republicans seriously desire to regain relevance and have a real chance at winning the White House in 2016 than it is time for them to throw the "Tea Party" under the bus or risk having the Tea Party steal the bus and run over the Republican Party.
Unfortunately the GOP shut the Tea Party out and went with yet another rich old white moderate guy. Yeah he may have had a less than mainstream religion, but. . . that wasn't enough to differentiate him from the steady stream of non-Reagans the GOP has been churning out. Our country needs a Reagan or a JFK, not another Bush Jr. or his democrat look-alike who just got re-elected. Tea party ain't playing dat & thus they were mysteriously silent while watching GOP's non-candidate fail. If the Republicans haven't gotten the message, I'd say there are 2 years to talk about what a real (non-moderate, someone with spine) candidate should look like & non-compliance should be met by swinging all votes straight democrat. If republicans want to keep running soft-core democrats, we should vote straight democrat till they get the hint or die.

Upvote 0

ziggy29

Site Supporter
Aug 22, 2009
Pacific Northwest
✟27,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are so few actual libertarians in the country I can't see how they could possibly be of any significance.
There aren't many Capital-L Libertarians, but there are a LOT of small-l libertarians, and they are found in both major parties AND with independents.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

That is the polar opposite of true. They just did that, two elections in a row.

While trying to pass both of them off as the Conservatives' great white hope.

McCain and Romney both tried to cobble together conservative cred without realizing that you really can't fake it when your past decisions are a matter of public record.

Yes, they were both moderates -- but had they chosen to run as moderates, and not made some disastrous choices in vain attempts to score some cheap conservative cred (I'm thinkging VP choices here), they would've fared better.

As it is, I'll dare say they got a lot closer to the prize than any of their True-Blue Conservative rivals would have.

Republicans aren't winning because they aren't willing to run a real candidate or one who has a discernibly different agenda than the democrats.

Certainly not one with the integrity to admit it. When did "moderate" become a dirty word for the GOP?

Unfortunately the GOP shut the Tea Party out and went with yet another rich old white moderate guy.

As opposed to a rich old white conservative guy?

Tea party ain't playing dat & thus they were mysteriously silent while watching GOP's non-candidate fail.

Or maybe the Tea party ain't talking because they've got nothing constructive to say? I mean, sure, they're good at complaining and raising a ruckus, but when it comes time to put forward someone who can can say, "look, I've got a solution to that... and here it is..." and say it without shoving his foot into his mouth, well... they sure ain't playing dat.

If the Republicans haven't gotten the message, I'd say there are 2 years to talk about what a real (non-moderate, someone with spine) candidate should look like & non-compliance should be met by swinging all votes straight democrat.

How about a moderate with a spine? Too crazy an idea?

If republicans want to keep running soft-core democrats, we should vote straight democrat till they get the hint or die.

They'll die first. You know that.

Besides, where are you actually going to find someone who fits the bill and is reasonably electable?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Maybe the Republicans should start putting forward better candidates, keeping a shorter leash on their bat crap crazy members, and stop alienating large blocks of voters. Many many many people who voted for Obama last time are unhappy with him. I stood ready to be convinced to vote Republican for president for the first time ever, and then I saw the bumbling band of baboons the Republicans brought foward and said, "Dude! You've got to be kidding me." So, then there were a bunch of us thinking of either not voting at all (my mom and grandma for instance) or voting 3rd party (yay Jill Stein). But, then, in recent weeks the Republicans started flying their crazy flag with all this talk about "legitimate rape," and a whole bunch of those people suddenly decided that they needed to come out and vote Democrat to try and keep those loons away from power.

And - I know this is supposed to be Republican candidates, but: Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren are my current 2016 dream ticket.

As for the Republicans: They're going toreally make Christie mad and he'll go independent before 2016, and I really don't think his Jersey "charm" would play well on a national level let alone international. Giulani's latest rumblings made me think he might be considering a run, but his latest rumblings also made me lose respect for him. Bob McDonnell from Virginia can kiss my butt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JoyJuice

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2006
✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
If the GOP conitnues to make the mistake that Micheal Steele noted years ago and what some have said just recently, "this is the last time we can run campaigns just appealing to elderly social conservative whites" or it's six under for them.

Get ready for eight years of Hillary, and there won't be much they can do about it.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the Republican party wants to remain politically relevant than they should seriously consider a moderate Republican. For example, John Huntsman (former U.S Ambassador to China) or Jeb Bush (former Governor of Florida and son of former president George H.W. Bush). Another possibility would be Colin Powell (retired General and former U.S. Secretary of State under George W. Bush) Unfortunately, the "tea party" take over of the Republican party may make this impossible. However, if the Republicans seriously desire to regain relevance and have a real chance at winning the White House in 2016 than it is time for them to throw the "Tea Party" under the bus or risk having the Tea Party steal the bus and run over the Republican Party.

If Colin Powell ran for president, I'd vote for him in a heart beat....and I know many others wanted to do so as well when encouraging him to run decades ago. There are many Republicans who are very reasonable/able to work with others outside of their camp and they've been coming out for awhile...but it'd take them being in the forefront (especially Fiscal Conservatives) to really make an impact.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe the Republicans should start putting forward better candidates, keeping a shorter leash on their bat crap crazy members, and stop alienating large blocks of voters. Many many many people who voted for Obama last time are unhappy with him. I stood ready to be convinced to vote Republican for president for the first time ever, and then I saw the bumbling band of baboons the Republicans brought foward and said, "Dude! You've got to be kidding me." So, then there were a bunch of us thinking of either not voting at all (my mom and grandma for instance) or voting 3rd party (yay Jill Stein). But, then, in recent weeks the Republicans started flying their crazy flag with all this talk about "legitimate rape," and a whole bunch of those people suddenly decided that they needed to come out and vote Democrat to try and keep those loons away from power.

And - I know this is supposed to be Republican candidates, but: Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren are my current 2016 dream ticket.

As for the Republicans: They're going to [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] of Christie and he'll go independent before 2016, and I really don't think his Jersey "charm" would play well on a national level let alone international. Giulani's latest rumblings made me think he might be considering a run, but his latest rumblings also made me lose respect for him. Bob McDonnell from Virginia can kiss my butt.
Although I voted Jill Stein, I do wish there were more credible Republican cannidates in the run than what was available and I know many other conservatives who felt the same - many feeling that Romney was just as much of an issue as Obama and feeling that the Republican party not only failed to give a real representation of reasonable/stable conservatism...but the party itself was on the verge of civil war/imploding if it couldn't manage to do better in giving real options.

Upvote 0