The next generation of Republican candidates (2016)

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The Republicans need to put up a true conservative. They've tried using moderates and it hasn't worked. I think a Regan conservative can win if they stick to their guns and prove that fiscal responsibility, tough foreign policy, and self-sufficency work.

Obama and the Democrats are winning by simply promising more stuff. They believe the government and hard-working Americans should be a gravy train, giving everything they worked hard to earn to those who are too stupid or lazy to earn it themselves. No country based on that policy has ever prevailed in the long run. America is being restructured and a true conservative could offer true change. Moderates and wishy-washy candidates haven't and will not work.

Upvote 0

Phileas

Aug 31, 2009
✟8,312.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Would be nice to have a social liberal but fiscally conservative candidate.

Probably not going to happen. To get nomination any candidate will have to get favour with the Republican core, which means being upfront with socially conservative views. To gain the wider public support they would then need to rapidly backtrack making them look weak and inconsistent. Much like Romney ended up flip-flopping issues in order to appeal to the core and the moderates.

However if they go socially and economically hardline they would never, ever win. I think the Republican core might have to bite the bullet and go soft on social issues if they ever hope to gain wide appeal again.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Republicans need to put up a true conservative. They've tried using moderates and it hasn't worked. I think a Regan conservative can win if they stick to their guns and prove that fiscal responsibility, tough foreign policy, and self-sufficency work.

Obama and the Democrats are winning by simply promising more stuff. They believe the government and hard-working Americans should be a gravy train, giving everything they worked hard to earn to those who are too stupid or lazy to earn it themselves. No country based on that policy has ever prevailed in the long run. America is being restructured and a true conservative could offer true change. Moderates and wishy-washy candidates haven't and will not work.

Fiscal conservative, yes. Absolutely. You need someone like Johnson in there.

A social conservative will not win the presidency. Flat out. The demographics have changed and they are age based. They will only get more hostile to social conservatives as the last millenials reach voting age and the baby boomers continue to pass away. Essentially you need to change the party into a version of the libertarian party. Invite their members to caucus with you, to join the party, adapt your party to them, because frankly, they are more popular. You will find far more moderate libertarians then right wing religious folk.

As for your later part, that hasn't been the stance of democrats and liberals. There is indeed a small minority that will try and leech, but they are not something like the infamous 47%. What liberals would like to see is more equal opportunity and mobility. I do think that some of the ways both sides go about it are faulty.

Upvote 0

ByronArn

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jul 28, 2011
Ohio, USA
Visit site
✟11,502.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I thihnk Christie Vs. Biden in 2016 would be awesome. I'm not even quite sure who I would vote for in that case. But I suspect that the Democratic party may be done with white males. I kinda foresaw this in the 2008 primaries, when the main contenders were a woman and an African American. I think whoever runs in 2016 for the Democrats will probably be a woman. If its anyone but Hilary, they will probably get my vote. However, if Christie is the Republican candidate, I don't know how I will vote. He is the first Republican politician in a VERY long time to earn my respect...

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thihnk Christie Vs. Biden in 2016 would be awesome. I'm not even quite sure who I would vote for in that case. But I suspect that the Democratic party may be done with white males. I kinda foresaw this in the 2008 primaries, when the main contenders were a woman and an African American. I think whoever runs in 2016 for the Democrats will probably be a woman. If its anyone but Hilary, they will probably get my vote. However, if Christie is the Republican candidate, I don't know how I will vote. He is the first Republican politician in a VERY long time to earn my respect...

Biden is too old as is Clinton.

Upvote 0

Metal Minister

New Year, Still Old School!
May 8, 2012
✟29,999.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Desk trauma said:
My theory is that the republicans need to give some Santorumesk hard social conservative who is beloved by the base the nomination and have them crushed in the general election prior to any sort of introspection or realignment.

I've never understood why the left demands that conservatives give up their principles and be more like them. What's the old saying? If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never understood why the left demands that conservatives give up their principles and be more like them. What's the old saying? If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything?

Nobody's demanding anything. Just pointing out the facts.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Uh, Christie. Unless he chose Bachman for a running mate or something.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Uh, Christie. Unless he chose Bachman for a running mate or something.

What sane candidate would want to commit political suicide by picking a nutcase like Michelle Bachmann?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BoltNut

May 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
✟19,076.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I'm a little surprised that some of my more liberal friends here consider Christie a candidate that they could vote for. If the GOP were to run him against a Democratic challenger in 2016, how long would it be before the media crucifies Christie for being a "right-wing bully"? A day?... two?...

I doubt if Christie could get past the nomination process. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good candidate, but honestly, the media will chew him to pieces.

Upvote 0

ByronArn

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jul 28, 2011
Ohio, USA
Visit site
✟11,502.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a little surprised that some of my more liberal friends here consider Christie a candidate that they could vote for. If the GOP were to run him against a Democratic challenger in 2016, how long would it be before the media crucifies Christie for being a "right-wing bully"? A day?... two?...

I doubt if Christie could get past the nomination process. I'm not saying he wouldn't be a good candidate, but honestly, the media will chew him to pieces.

The way he was able to reach across party lines in order to deal with superstorm Sandy in order to work with Obama really impressed me. He remained opposed to Obama, but was still willing to work with him to do what needed done for his state. We need people like him in office.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to find Gov. Christie very interesting, and I even though of him as a potential future candidate... until he endorsed Romney. One of the reasons that I liked Christie is because I thought he was of a different stock than Romney. I am no longer impressed by that man.

The GOP needs to do one of two things: have candidates that are libertarian, or dissolve and let the Libertarian party take over as the rival party to the Democratic Party. The Republican party will quickly die out unless they drop the neo-Cons and recognize the libertarians.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Ted Cruz, Thomas Massie, Justin Amash, Mia Love, and Rand Paul are all ones to keep an eye on.

Thankfully, the nutcases like Palin, Bachmann, Perry, Cain, Santorum, etc. have likely flamed out. :clap:

I like Christie and Huntsman, but that's likely the kiss of death for them.:cool:

And how, exactly, was Cane a nutcase?

Upvote 0

Glas Ridire

Dec 28, 2010
✟4,005.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He makes Biden and Palin look like rocket scientists. He has literally done nothing of value. He's a good speaker, but entirely hollow. He's not going to get independent votes. When Libertarians call your budgets insane, and budgets are your big call to fame, you are a failure.

Dang dude, you just described Obama but he seems to be. . . . oh yeah re-elected and a failure at the same time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If he acts like a buffoon or a nutcase, he will have a tough time. If he maps out a campaign that reaches out to a broader range of Americans, then he will get chewed up in the Primaries. But, if the GOP gets a grip on some reality, then he might get through to the Big Show. There will be no incumbent, so the playing field is level.

I hate to say this, but he's well overweight and it will work against him since Americans are a superficial lot. He'll need a thick skin.

Upvote 0
I

ImperialPhantom

I could see Christie as a nominee. I could see Ron Paul going at it again and having a stronger showing, unless the Republicans pull out the same old strategy four years from now, which is likely considering that they had such a narrow loss in the popular vote.

They need to learn some lessons from this race, though. Ignoring the black and Latino demographics is political suicide, and those demographics will become more and more crucial as America's demographics continue to change. Blacks and Latinos are moving to the South in record numbers, which will massively screw the GOP unless they undergo a complete philosophical shift. And if they don't change things, Florida will become a blue state and Texas, with its rapidly growing and diversifying population, will turn into a swing state.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not Paul Ryan, that is for sure.

Not sure about young, but there are some recently risen to power GOPers who are more appealing to independents and moderates, like Chris Christie for example. Not sure how his Jersey "charm" work out nationally, but he would probably flip NJ red.

I think Christie pretty much did his chances in by his love fest with the President. I'm sure there will continue be a lot of resentment about that from many quarters of the Republican party.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to find Gov. Christie very interesting, and I even though of him as a potential future candidate... until he endorsed Romney. One of the reasons that I liked Christie is because I thought he was of a different stock than Romney. I am no longer impressed by that man.

The GOP needs to do one of two things: have candidates that are libertarian, or dissolve and let the Libertarian party take over as the rival party to the Democratic Party. The Republican party will quickly die out unless they drop the neo-Cons and recognize the libertarians.

There are so few actual libertarians in the country I can't see how they could possibly be of any significance.

Upvote 0