Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I came across the link Faulty did and was really glad as it led to the link Pete gave and I purchased the book. It looks really interesting, I certainly agree with his premise and introduction.

It reminds me of Artega's book Quenching the Spirit and the role that a concensus of orthodoxy based on tradition and peer pressure often hold people back from a revelation of the Word.

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What's the big news flash? "Pharisee" has been a choice warclub applied to the heads of apologists and discernment ministries for 20 or 30 years, just like "racist-sexist-homophobe" is wielded against conservatives in the political realm.

As for the "bully" part, I'm not aware of anyone in the discernment camp threatening divine judgment on those with whom they disagree -- unlike the ones who want to fire a "holy ghost machine gun," or invoke the penalties for "touching God's anointed" and "harming His prophets."

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Misquoting others, nit-picking, lying about others, and taking things out of context that others have said to make them look like heretics, though: that's bullying. And I've seen it on these heresy-hunting pages time and time again, back when I was silly enough to waste time looking at them.

The similarities between the Pharisees and some of these heresy-hunting folk are so, so obvious. The link is still perfectly valid - just as it is between the Pharisees and the left-wing politically-correct brigade today. But unfortunately, because the link has been over expressed, heresy-hunting fans and anti-Charismatics can say, "Oh, that old silly Pharisee accusation", and then onlookers get the impression that the spirit of Pharisaism doesn't live on in these "ministries" because it's an old hat argument that's been dealt with.

But, sorry to be clichéd about this: some clichés are there for a reason, and some are true, even if they aren't always correctly explained or if people roll their eyes at them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon Peter

14th Generation PROTESTant
Mar 4, 2004
America
✟4,491.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Last edited:
Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came across the link Faulty did and was really glad as it led to the link Pete gave and I purchased the book. It looks really interesting, I certainly agree with his premise and introduction.

As did I. I'm about to purchase the book myself.

:cool:

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Misquoting others, nit-picking, lying about others, and taking things out of context that others have said to make them look like heretics, though: that's bullying. And I've seen it on these heresy-hunting pages time and time again, back when I was silly enough to waste time looking at them.

And back when I was fresh out of the heretic camp, I saw them make those claims about misquoting, ignoring context, etc., and recognized such was rarely the case. And I saw enough of their own anti-heresy-hunter "apologetics" to realize they were more than capable of employing the same tactics they ascribed to their critics.

The similarities between the Pharisees and some of these heresy-hunting folk are so, so obvious. The link is still perfectly valid

What has long been "obvious" to ME is that it's often the ones complaining about heresy-hunting who best fit the lables of "pharisee" and "bully."

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As for the "bully" part, I'm not aware of anyone in the discernment camp threatening divine judgment on those with whom they disagree

Are you serious?

All you have to do is spend about 30 seconds on the average "discernment ministry" site before you'll read about someone who is headed straight for hell.

If that's not "divine judgment", I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I once listened to one of the discernment guys (international ministry) on the radio in England. Someone asked him "if all these guys are in the wrong, who is right besides you"

After a painfully long silence he said "I guess Billy Graham"

That is the nature of these people!

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I once listened to one of the discernment guys (international ministry) on the radio in England. Someone asked him "if all these guys are in the wrong, who is right besides you"

After a painfully long silence he said "I guess Billy Graham"

That is the nature of these people!
If they are children of God then their nature is of righteousness in Christ. ;) I will say that whenever people set themselves up as the finger pointers then they better be 100% correct on the doctrines and theologies that they believe, teach, and preach. And their unfortunate position is that I don't think anyone is ever 100% correct on everything.

Sounds like a very important book to read.

Upvote 0

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟134,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sounds like a very important book to read.

I am thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm about halfway through with it, and I'll post a bit of a review here when I'm done for anyone interested.

Suffice to say, I believe this was well worth the $12.95 I paid for it.

Upvote 0