United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
10-1-13

WARNING: I get a bit graphic here, and it's an adult topic meant for some adult readers. I am writing about the biggest change in our culture since the pill, and I'm pulling no punches. This article is not for everybody.

There is a New Norm, and we're not even seeing it. The New Norm is a generation raised on inappropriate content, and consequently showing symptoms of a kind of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). That sounds like a stretch, but read on ...

Here The Witherspoon Institute looks at the correlation between inappropriate content Use and Supporting Same Sex Marriage.

The article concludes (my emphasis) ...

In the end, contrary to what we might wish to think, young adult men’s support for redefining marriage may not be entirely the product of ideals about expansive freedoms, rights, liberties, and a noble commitment to fairness. It may be, at least in part, a byproduct of regular exposure to diverse and graphic sex acts.

Continued- Waiting for Godot to Leave: The New Norm: A Generation Raised on inappropriate content

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've read up a fair bit on this, and indications are that kids today, while exposed to inappropriate content in greater ammounts than previous generations, are bored with it. I forget where I found the study, but there is information out there that indicates that 30-70 year olds are more likely to suffer from "inappropriate content addiction" than the generation that grew up with internet inappropriate content at their fingertips 24/7.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
When I was a kid we didn't have free broadband streaming inappropriate content just yet (just eight-bit dial up connections and Prince of Persia in monochrome). I did, however, see Silence of the Lambs when I was about six or seven and you know what? It didn't damage me one bit, except maybe that I think Mads Mikkelsen is kind of hot on Hannibal (but so is Hugh Dancy, so now I'm confused).
I don't think overexposition to bikini-clad women on billboards is what's wrong with society.

There was a lot of hubbub about Miley Cyrus' twerking (and honestly, people who got upset to it, if you've ever listened to the lyrics of Blurred Lines, Hannah Montana rubbing her ladies' bits all over Robin Thicke's nether regions is just about the least upsetting thing), but really, did anyone actually find themselves aroused because of that?

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it makes people focus on the wrong aspects of sex--technique and variety rather than mindfulness and relationship.

And because it does get monotonous, young people have told me that some kids turn to the kinkiest, weirdest and most perverted videos just for variety, including some things that people my age would never have guessed existed--thankfully.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We are so desensitized we cannot even acknowledge or see sin for what it is anymore.
Thanks Antigone for continuing to prove this to me.

inappropriate content causes part of that desensitization... and its so 'everywhere' now - even lewd gestures and showing everything you got in public is no longer considered scandal or salacious.

Hey - what can i say i havent said before?

'Come, Lord Jesus.'
Have mercy.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
We are so desensitized we cannot even acknowledge or see sin for what it is anymore.

What? Okay, I realise Mads Mikkelsen is probably an acquired taste but Hugh Dancy really is hot.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
One time I was told that when you watch inappropriate content, you're watching someone fornicate (or if married, commit adultery). In the case of adultery, you're watching someone break one of the ten commandments. (Which shouldn't be considered a form of entertainment.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Chrystal-J said:
One time I was told that when you watch inappropriate content, you're watching someone fornicate (or if married, commit adultery). In the case of adultery, you're watching someone break one of the ten commandments. (Which shouldn't be considered a form of entertainment.)

What if you're watching a married couple go at it? What if you're watching a video of you and your spouse go at it?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was a lot of hubbub about Miley Cyrus' twerking (and honestly, people who got upset to it, if you've ever listened to the lyrics of Blurred Lines, Hannah Montana rubbing her ladies' bits all over Robin Thicke's nether regions is just about the least upsetting thing), but really, did anyone actually find themselves aroused because of that?

I didn't see the Miley Cyrus video (I find her about as appealing as a plate of day-old liver paté---and that goes for her clones, Britney, Lindsay, Paris, et al); all I saw were the still shots on the news feeds, and I was disgusted in the extreme. Nasty. :sick:

So, no, I don't find her or her antics arousing, unless it arouses my instinct to vomit copiously.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think it makes people focus on the wrong aspects of sex--technique and variety rather than mindfulness and relationship.

And because it does get monotonous, young people have told me that some kids turn to the kinkiest, weirdest and most perverted videos just for variety, including some things that people my age would never have guessed existed--thankfully.
And sex without consequences. When you remove the procreative aspect, you destroy what God's plan for sex is. When you include procreation and unity, you understand that it's not just playtime, it's serious.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
What if you're watching a married couple go at it? What if you're watching a video of you and your spouse go at it?

You're basing your sexual relationship on lust at that point and not on the love that you're supposed to be sharing to create life.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I didn't see the Miley Cyrus video (I find her about as appealing as a plate of day-old liver paté---and that goes for her clones, Britney, Lindsay, Paris, et al); all I saw were the still shots on the news feeds, and I was disgusted in the extreme. Nasty. :sick:

So, no, I don't find her or her antics arousing, unless it arouses my instinct to vomit copiously.
I remember when Lucy and Desi couldn't sleep in the same bed on TV. Most television, with a few exceptions, is offensive and/or inane. I like Blue Bloods. And stuff on Discovery/History/and sports. Heck, I even watched most of the America's Cup races on TV and YouTube (even though they were 1/2 mile away).

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I used to think this way, until it almost destroyed my marriage...inappropriate contentography destroys lives. It still echoes through my marriage, and I haven't looked at any of it in 8 years.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I had a girlfriend who was raised in such a sheltered way she did not know she had a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. Now I appreciate her innocence, because its been a long time since I've seen it last. I first saw inappropriate content when I was about twelve or thirteen. Most of the people I work with under 40 are at least occasional consumers.

Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I've read about this too in articles :( very sad... it starts out really bad and then gets more and more perverted.

inappropriate content causes part of that desensitization... and its so 'everywhere' now - even lewd gestures and showing everything you got in public is no longer considered scandal or salacious.

Hey - what can i say i havent said before?

'Come, Lord Jesus.'
Have mercy.

I agree that there's a desensitization in our culture. A few decades ago, if someone showed people kissing that was a big deal. Now, we're shown all these immoral things and no one cares. HMMM...

I think it's better to just turn off the tv, not watch any of this garbage, and only watch good things that are actually completely wholesome.

"Let your modesty be known to all men. The Lord is nigh. Be nothing solicitous; but in every thing, by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your petitions be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasseth all understanding, keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. For the rest, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever modest, whatsoever just, whatsoever holy, whatsoever lovely, whatsoever of good fame, if there be any virtue, if any praise of discipline, think on these things." (Philippians 4: 5-8, Douay-Rheims Bible)

We should be horrified at the idea of watching sin!
You're basing your sexual relationship on lust at that point and not on the love that you're supposed to be sharing to create life.

totally agree!

Upvote 0