The New-New Moral Majority

Where will you go to escape the wrath of the stupid?

• Canada

• Somewhere in Europe

• A remote island in Alaska to form your own colony as Trevor may do?

• Other, please explain

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevorocity

Jun 30, 2007
✟16,960.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now that it appears John McCain will win the election and Democrats will lose control of the Congress, America seems on the verge of a decline into medieval dark-age notions of religious rule.

I'm curious as to where 'Teh Gheys' will flee to to avoid the inevitable persecution? Personally I may apply for refugee status in Canada. Yet I wonder, if the Constitutional Amendment adding discrimination is to pass don't we have a duty as real Americans to rebel?

What are your thoughts?

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
First of all I think Democrats are on the upswing. Second even if McCain does win I don't think there is enough support for an anti-gay marriage constitutional amendment. Thirdly I don't think there's even enough Republican support for much anti-gay legislation.

I don't think you really have anything to worry about.

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Now that it appears John McCain will win the election and Democrats will lose control of the Congress, America seems on the verge of a decline into medieval dark-age notions of religious rule.

Well, I actually disagree that this will be the likely outcome of the election. But, assuming for the sake of this thread that it will be the likely outcome ...

I'm curious as to where 'Teh Gheys' will flee to to avoid the inevitable persecution? Personally I may apply for refugee status in Canada. Yet I wonder, if the Constitutional Amendment adding discrimination is to pass don't we have a duty as real Americans to rebel?

I would personally prefer the UK, maybe a Scandinavian nation, or even Holland lol. But most likely I'd end up in Canada as well, if America was added to the list of nations that 'teh gheys' can be considered a refugee from that is.

Rebel? Nah, I'm not in love with the particular piece of land I live on nor the country that it happens to be in. Sure, America's pretty good but I certainly don't think it's the best nor all that worth emulating. Besides, American hegemony is dying out and it's only a matter of time before the US is just not that big of a deal anymore.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oh, but if I could have my fantasy wishes I'd like for California to secede from the US, and then have it led by President Neal Patrick Harris and Prime Minister George Takei.
I like that idea.
Seconded on NPH for presidente. However, I think that Ellen DeGeneres should be PM. You would actually want to watch CSPAN then. :D

EDIT: Could we float Manhattan Island into San Fransisco Bay? :)

Upvote 0

NPH

Jul 25, 2005
✟6,871.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I like that idea.
Seconded on NPH for presidente. However, I think that Ellen DeGeneres should be PM. You would actually want to watch CSPAN then. :D

EDIT: Could we float Manhattan Island into San Fransisco Bay? :)

Good point! And George might actually be a better VP anyway, elder statesman and all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
Why do you think that McCain will clearly win? Obama is in the lead.

I also think that the Amendment to ban gay marriage is an empty campaign promise. If he tries to pass it, it will be met with a lot of resistance in the House, because there are a lot of gay and lesbian constituent, and a lot of people that have gay friends, sibs, and co-workers.

Should it pass, there will probably be huge protests, and a lot of unrest.

I think it is simply a attempt to get Republicans to sway for his side.

I also think that far more people are going to turn out, especially people of color, who have often felt like they have not had a voice in the country. Obama represents that to them, and I think that he will win by a landslide.

I also think that Bush has pretty much made the Republican party look ineffecient at running the government and irresponsible and dishonest about the war.

In Canada, a gay couple wanted to get married. They brought it to the Supreme Court, and said that it was a violation of their rights. The Supreme Court heard their story, and it was made law. There was no discussion of the people that this did not concern, nor do I think it should. When I see heterosexuals (the majority) voting about the rights of gay people, it is very unconstituional. People can't vote for your Civil Rights. (Otherwise, black people would still be segragated.) The country was set up so that the majority could not try to take away the rights of a minority. This is simply in violation of the Constitution, and should be addressed to the Supreme Court, instead of all the debates, votes state by state, and the majority voting about the rights of the minority.

Upvote 0

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll stay here and vote for McCain, I was originally a supporter of Obama but I changed my mind after thinking about some of the issues McCain stood for. I'm in the armed services and McCain is for military pay raises, while Obama will downsize our military just like what happened during the Clinton administration. I'm not down to see people end their enlistment and not be allowed to enlist due to downsizing, early retirement isn't for me.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Firstly, I don't think it's clear at all that McCain will win this election. I've had a feeling all along that a Democrat will be elected this year. I could be wrong, but McCain's campaign tactics so far have reeked of desperation and sour grapes.

Secondly, even if McCain wins and it ushers in a new "medieval age", I doubt that it will stop the supporters of gay marriage (such as myself). McCain winning the election doesn't spell absolute doom for 'teh gays'.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jcook922

Defender of Liberty, against the Left or Right.
Aug 5, 2008
United States
✟9,746.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't care what anyone says, I'm doing a write-in for Howard Dean every single election until we have the first lesbian, Pagan (or non-theist), African-American candidate. I don't think I'll ever see that occur in my lifetime, but I'm remaining optimistic. I never thought I'd see a female candidate for the POTUS in my lifetime either.

And let's face it - you can't escape the wrath of stupid. There's stupidity everywhere, even in countries that appear vastly enlightened. But, then again, I'm used to living in the South, so I've sort of made it my life's goal to live among the stupid without being the stupid. Christians have a similar credo about in the world, but not of it.

Reactions: sidhe
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.