the new covenant

RibI

Jul 31, 2009
✟1,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God has, and is continuing to fulfill His obligations.
He provided a way for repented of sins to be forgiven and paid for by the sacrifice of Jesus.
Jesus continues in the office of High Priest to help us.
Heb. 2:17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.
And in Heb. 4:14 14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Our obligation, in short, is stated in 1 Pet. 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
22 “ Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth”

[It's no more complicated than that.]

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Peter has lots of conditions listed for our part of the covenent, the best being imo is moving from one stage to the next by adding love to faith etc.

For God's part of the covenent 1 Peter 1:5 is pretty explicite.

5who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

notes on 1 Peter 1:5 from Living Stream ministry

(3) The completing stage, the stage of glorification, which is composed of the redemption (transfiguration) of our body, conformity to the Lord, glorification, the inheritance of God's kingdom, participation in Christ's kingship, and the topmost enjoyment of the Lord. In this stage God will redeem our fallen and corrupted body (Rom. 8:23) by transfiguring it into the body of Christ's glory (Phil. 3:21); conform us to the glorious image of His firstborn Son (Rom. 8:29), making us wholly and absolutely like Him in our regenerated spirit, transformed soul, and transfigured body; and glorify us (Rom. 8:30), immersing us in His glory (Heb. 2:10) that we may enter into His heavenly kingdom (2 Tim. 4:18; 2 Pet. 1:11), into which He has called us (1 Thes. 2:12), and inherit it as the topmost portion of His blessing (James 2:5; Gal. 5:21) — even that we may reign with Christ as His co-kings, participating in His kingship over the nations (2 Tim. 2:12; Rev. 20:4, 6; 2:26-27; 12:5) and sharing His royal, kingly joy in His divine government (Matt. 25:21, 23). In this way our body will be freed from the slavery of corruption of the old creation into the freedom of the glory of God's new creation (Rom. 8:21), and our soul will be delivered out of the realm of trials and sufferings (v. 6; 4:12; 3:14; 5:9) into a new realm, one that is full of glory (4:13; 5:10), and will share in and enjoy all that the Triune God is, has, and has accomplished, attained, and obtained. This is the salvation of our souls, the salvation that is ready to be revealed to us at the last time, the grace to be brought to us at the revelation of Christ in glory (v. 13; Matt. 16:27; 25:31). This is the end of our faith. The power of God is able to guard us unto this that we may obtain it (v. 9). We should eagerly expect such a marvelous salvation (Rom. 8:23) and prepare ourselves for its splendid revelation (Rom. 8:19).

Upvote 0

bugkiller

May 16, 2015
✟80,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
All biblical covenants (as opposed to promises) have terms and conditions. Both sides have obligations.

So, discussing the New Covenant.

What are the terms of the covenant?

What are God's obligations?

What are our obligations?

Steve

Great topic!:clap::thumbsup: Why don't you provide some information discussion starters rather than just a questions? From your faith identifier it would seem that you have some pretty firm fixed ideas. Tell us what you think. It really looks like to me that you are on a phishing expedition. Your questions are very and to direction oriented to be a simple request for information.

So how about some definitions and a presentation about the new covenant. You could at least provide the very comon assertations about it.Even better what do you think or what problems do you have with the new covenant? Do you wish to compare it to othe covenants?

I first focused on your opening line All biblical covenants and took the bait on an emotional level (not good). Then on review saw you said something about the new covenant and the or a focus point(s) and had to redo my post. What are you referring to by saying 'as opposed to promises?' Are you referring to the promise given to Abraham which is a covenant? Surely you are not referring to Gen 3:15, a promise and prophesy spoken to the serpent that some say was a covenant to Adam.

In some covenants both sides have performing duties and others only the issuing side has performing duties. This is the difference between a suzerian and a royal grant covenant.

So what do you think? I am sure you have an opinion.
bugkiller

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Frogster
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see it as more of a He did it thing,rather than I do it thing.
well there is the 'ya gotta believe' thing...then ya gotta know what ya believe before ya can actually believe.

Look at Abraham. He fell on his face laughing when God told him he was gonna have a son from Sarah, an said "Ya God, we'all bless Ishmael" but God waited many moons before He revealed to Abe that what He said was true. But, hey, good ole' Abe was a friend of God's cause he believed him, yup. :preach:

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Great topic!:clap::thumbsup: Why don't you provide some discussion starters rather than just a question? All things considered it looks like you are on a fishing (phishing) expedition. At least put some bait on the hook.

So how about some definitions and a presentation about the various covenants. You could at least provide the very comon assertations about them. Are there specific covenants you wish to talk about? I think this is the case and I call.:) There are seven major covenants of which two are ususally the focus.

bugkiller

Well after reading alot of your posts...you are quite knowledgeable,so it looks like the op,caught a whale!:D:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
well there is the 'ya gotta believe' thing...then ya gotta know what ya believe before ya can actually believe.

Look at Abraham. He fell on his face laughing when God told him he was gonna have a son from Sarah, an said "Ya God, we'all bless Ishmael" but God waited many moons before He revealed to Abe that what He said was true. But, hey, good ole' Abe was a friend of God's cause he believed him, yup. :preach:

I agree,The faith churches always stress faith,but it is hard to read gen17,and not see that Abraham was still doubting.Good post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All biblical covenants (as opposed to promises) have terms and conditions. Both sides have obligations.
One those seems to be spoken of by our Lord in John 4.

Neither the Judeans nor Samaritans will ever have to worship in OC Jerusalem or a Temple again.....AMEN! ALLEHUIA! :thumbsup: :)

[YoungLT] John 4:19 The woman saith to him, `Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet;
20 our fathers in this mountain did worship, and ye--ye say that in Jerusalem is the place where it behoveth to worship.'
21 Jesus saith to her, `Woman, believe me, that there doth come an hour, when neither in this Mountain, nor in Jerusalem, shall ye worship the Father;
[Revelation 8:8/19:3]

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a great Mountain to fire burning was cast into the Sea, and became the third of the Sea blood
[Matthew 21:21/Hebrew 12:18]

Reve 19:3 And a second-time they have declared "allelouia and the Smoke of Her is ascending into the Ages of the Ages".

The Mountain in Matt 21 question - Christian Forums
The Mountain in Matt 21 question

Upvote 0

Deut 5:29

Dec 10, 2009
✟2,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God has, and is continuing to fulfill His obligations.
He provided a way for repented of sins to be forgiven and paid for by the sacrifice of Jesus.
Jesus continues in the office of High Priest to help us.
Heb. 2:17 Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.
And in Heb. 4:14 14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Our obligation, in short, is stated in 1 Pet. 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:
22 “ Who committed no sin, Nor was deceit found in His mouth”
[It's no more complicated than that.]

That works for me.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
One those seems to be spoken of by our Lord in John 4.

Neither the Judeans nor Samaritans will ever have to worship in OC Jerusalem or a Temple again.....AMEN! :thumbsup: :)

[YoungLT] John 4:19 The woman saith to him, `Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet;
20 our fathers in this mountain did worship, and ye--ye say that in Jerusalem is the place where it behoveth to worship.'
21 Jesus saith to her, `Woman, believe me, that there doth come an hour, when neither in this Mountain, nor in Jerusalem, shall ye worship the Father;
[Revelation 8:8/19:3]

Reve 8:8 And the second Messenger trumpets and as-like a great Mountain to fire burning was cast into the Sea, and became the third of the Sea blood
[Matthew 21:21/Hebrew 12:18]

Reve 19:3 And a second-time they have declared "allelouia and the Smoke of Her is ascending into the Ages of the Ages".

The Mountain in Matt 21 question - Christian Forums
The Mountain in Matt 21 question

Yes,the whole old cov is obsolete.Anulled,set aside,worthless.

Hebrews 7:18-19 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Greek for setting aside.. athetesis 115
Definition:
1) abolition, disannulling, put away, rejection

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,689.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hebrews 7:18-19 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness 19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Definition:
:thumbsup:

That's what I was looking up was the obsolete part when I came across those notes I posted on 1 Peter 1:5
but now I forgot how they tied in :scratch:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Deut 5:29

Dec 10, 2009
✟2,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Definition:

That was only about who could could serve as High Priest.:doh:

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

That's what I was looking up was the obsolete part when I came across those notes I posted on 1 Peter 1:5

:):)

Hebrews 8:8For finding fault with them, He says, "BEHOLD, DAYS ARE COMING, SAYS THE LORD, WHEN I WILL EFFECT A NEW COVENANT WITH THE HOUSE OF ISRAEL AND WITH THE HOUSE OF JUDAH;

Effect in the greek…sunteleo 4931
Definition:
1) to end together or at the same time
2) to end completely
2a) bring to an end, finish, complete
3) to accomplish, bring to fulfilment
3a) to come to pass
4) to effect, make, (conclude)
5) to finish
5a) to make an end of
5b) to bring to an end
5c) destroy

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Hebrews and Revelation go together like "white on rice" :thumbsup: :)

Luke 5:37 "And no one is casting young wine into OLD/palaiouV <3820> vessels, if yet no surely shall be ruined the wine, the young of the vessels and it shall be being poured-out and its vessel shall be perishing/apolountai <622> .
38 but young/neon <3501> wine into NEW/kainouV <2537> vessels is to be cast and both are preserved together.
39 and no one driking old immediately is willing young, for he is saying, 'for the the old kind/gracious is'".

Hebrews 8:13 in the to be saying 'NEW', He hath made OLD/pepalaiwken <3822> (5758) the first.
The yet being aged/palaioumenon <3822> (5746) and being obsolete/ghraskon <1095> (5723) nigh of disappearance/a-fanismou <854>

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
That was only about who could could serve as High Priest.:doh:

Hebrews 7:11-12 Now if perfection had been attainable through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need would there have been for another priest to arise after the order of Melchizedek, rather than one named after the order of Aaron? 12 For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

The whole thing .Did you notice it was eventually totally abolished in 70 ad?

Upvote 0