United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"The needs of the times will teach you what to do."

Blessed Adolph Kolping said this in the 18th century, and I've been thinking for awhile about how the needs of the current time are teaching us what to do now, in the budding 21st century.

There's a lot of specific things the needs of the 21st century are teaching us; we need to be faithful in our relationships, we need to value each other more tjan video games or convinience, we need to pray, fast, and make use of other more orthodox spiritual discipline; but in a word, what does the 21st century need?

Do we need great speakers, people who can reach millions online and in conferences? Yes, this is a great calling, but reserved for relatively few. God has already raised up great speakers like this; Jason Evert and John Pridmore are two of my favorites, and Pope John Paul II's World Youth Day still continues every year, along with conferences like SEEK and FOCUS, letting these speakers reach more people than ever before.

But what the world really needs, that we all can participate in, is subtlety. Great speakers can help a lot, but if people aren't living out what these people are teaching, it's only a matter of time until th speakers aren't taken seriously anymore.

We have great models of virtue, such as Mother Theresa's care for the poor, and Pope Francis' simplicity & message of mercy. But sometimes, to too many people, such virtue seems distant, something happens "out there", and without it being seen in our own lives.

God may not be calling you to be a great speaker, or anyone known beyond your community; but if you live your faith in subtle ways, being a great friend, a loyal husband, a roommate who actually helps clean the room, someone who reaches out when your friend is sad...if we just do simple things with great love, that will give God plenty of room to transform the world, one heart at a time.

"My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action." (1 John 3:18)

God bless us all, with the peace and the compassion to take care of His kids!

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"The needs of the times will teach you what to do."

Blessed Adolph Kolping said this in the 18th century, and I've been thinking for awhile about how the needs of the current time are teaching us what to do now, in the budding 21st century.

There's a lot of specific things the needs of the 21st century are teaching us; we need to be faithful in our relationships, we need to value each other more tjan video games or convinience, we need to pray, fast, and make use of other more orthodox spiritual discipline; but in a word, what does the 21st century need?

Do we need great speakers, people who can reach millions online and in conferences? Yes, this is a great calling, but reserved for relatively few. God has already raised up great speakers like this; Jason Evert and John Pridmore are two of my favorites, and Pope John Paul II's World Youth Day still continues every year, along with conferences like SEEK and FOCUS, letting these speakers reach more people than ever before.

But what the world really needs, that we all can participate in, is subtlety. Great speakers can help a lot, but if people aren't living out what these people are teaching, it's only a matter of time until th speakers aren't taken seriously anymore.

We have great models of virtue, such as Mother Theresa's care for the poor, and Pope Francis' simplicity & message of mercy. But sometimes, to too many people, such virtue seems distant, something happens "out there", and without it being seen in our own lives.

God may not be calling you to be a great speaker, or anyone known beyond your community; but if you live your faith in subtle ways, being a great friend, a loyal husband, a roommate who actually helps clean the room, someone who reaches out when your friend is sad...if we just do simple things with great love, that will give God plenty of room to transform the world, one heart at a time.

"My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in action." (1 John 3:18)

God bless us all, with the peace and the compassion to take care of His kids!

I like your quote of 1 Jn. 3:18, it's one of my favorite verses. I'm not so sure about your 1st quote, though: "The needs of the times will teach you what to do." I don't know the context in which he said it, or if he said it just as a slogan, but in my view it could easily be construed as situational ethics. I get taught from what Jesus and the apostles taught. I don't let circumstances teach me anything, except to confirm in application what the Bible teaches me. If that's what he means, then I concur. I suppose it's like any slogan, we need a good ethical basis for it to keep us from twisting it out of order.
TD:)

Upvote 0