The Need to Hang With Holiness Folk

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus paid for all of my sins, past, present, and future. And just as in America you cannot be punished twice for the same crime, as a Christian, I cannot be punished for any sin no matter how serious. But, in view of that, God gave me a brand new nature that loves him and hates sin. So even if free to sin, It repulses me and I love the fullness of the Spirit that comes from holiness more than anything else.

Please give me Scripture verses or passages that expresses these statements.
I ask this because I know you will not find such statements in the Bible.
As I said before, if all future sin is paid for, then why confess of our sins as per 1 John 1:9?
How can we confess of sin if future sin in forgiven us?
It makes no sense.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please give me Scripture verses or passages that expresses these statements.
I ask this because I know you will not find such statements in the Bible.
As I said before, if all future sin is paid for, then why confess of our sins as per 1 John 1:9?
How can we confess of sin if future sin in forgiven us?
It makes no sense.
This involves Calvinism and Limited Atonement. If you do not subscribe to this, you will never see it.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This involves Calvinism and Limited Atonement. If you do not subscribe to this, you will never see it.

No offense, but I see Calvinism as even worse because I believe it is an attack upon the good character of our God in the fact that God forces some to be saved and others to not be saved. For that would be like a master who kicks his dog across the room because it has uncontrollable pooping problem (when the master knows that fact). Sorry, I just do not see God in that way. God is love (1 John 4:8). God is good (Matthew 19:17). God's judgments are righteous [or fair] (Psalms 19:9) (Note: See the KJV for this verse).

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single

There is a divide that happened in the late 1700's

John Wesley - Embraced Arminian doctrines
George Whitefield - Calvinist - Whitefield welcomed opposition because as he said, "the more I am opposed, the more joy I feel." Early in his career, Whitefield criticized the Church of England. In response, clergy called Whitefield one of "the young quacks in divinity" who are "breaking the peace and unity" of the church.

I look at the Southeastern Holiness as basic John Wesley Arminian Methodist.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I wish all Holiness were the same. Even within the advertised Congregational Holiness denomination based there a few miles from this Holiness camp in Griffin, GA, I would caution that every church may not have the good wheat of Christlikeness in the characters.

So we have a little caution and controversy in this thread. Which I welcome as one must really be diligent of what one gets into these days.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wish all Holiness were the same. Even within the advertised Congregational Holiness denomination based there a few miles from this Holiness camp in Griffin, GA, I would caution that every church may not have the good wheat of Christlikeness in the characters.

So we have a little caution and controversy in this thread. Which I welcome as one must really be diligent of what one gets into these days.
Here's my take on holiness, i.e. Here's my approach to walking in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,147.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
But... I plan on going, behaving myself as a gentleman, maybe will bring my camcorder, leave the doctrinal talk here on the CF, enjoy myself, and fit in with these guys.

Home
IS-Preacher-2016-Lineup-c.jpg

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

danielmears

Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2018
Phelan
✟132,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no more true Holiness folk in my area. I believe I am going to drive down to Flovilla, GA and catch the camp meeting down there later this week.

http://indianspringscampmeeting.org/
You will know them by their love. Shine your light and you will be amazed how many like-minded folks are about. For who knows the mind of a man save God? I do understand wanting to be around fellow believers but the Christ sought the unholy so they too would be holy. May all of our eyes be open to the possibilities which abound!

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But... I plan on going, behaving myself as a gentleman, maybe will bring my camcorder, leave the doctrinal talk here on the CF, enjoy myself, and fit in with these guys.

Home
Is it true holiness acts of self-righteousness?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

For me: True holiness does not justify grievous sin on some level with the thinking they are saved. I thought David Servant was teaching "works of faith" or "holiness" (after we are saved by God's grace), but when I found out via by EvangelicalOutreach that he justified the belief that a believer can abide in a grievous sin (like lying, lusting, hating, etc.) and still be saved, I stopped watching his videos.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

Given what you’ve shared regarding your current church I hope you enjoy the trip. I believe it’s important to be in the company of people who nourish your spirit and a setting which does the same.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Home
You might like YouTube videos about Scottish revival meetings led by Duncan Campbell or Leonard Ravenhill. Mary Peckham preached the Gospel in Scotland during more recent times. As I listened to her, I knew she spent much time reading the scriptures. YouTube videos were also made about the 1906 Azusa Street Revival in Los Angeles where miracles were reported.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
Over the moon like centipedes
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How do you define holiness?
Jesus said for us to be perfect like the father, so I believe holiness is about the righteousness of God and who he is. We can only become holy or share in his holiness by clothing ourselves with the one who is holy and that is his son Jesus. We clothes ourselves by putting on Christ and just like a soldier who puts on his uniform, when we clothes ourselves in him we are put him on and then begin to walk in the character of him and God and his commandments and teachings where we become righteous and holy in Jesus only. So I think holiness is reaching the perfection of God and his righteousness because God is perfect and his holiness makes everything right. It's not just about being modest by dressing up on Sunday morning, holiness is a call to share in Gods character and righteousness..one can be modest outwardly but inwardly is where our soul lies and where we are filthy rags ..and I believe without holiness our soul hasn't reached the full statues of Jesus and his teachings cause the spirit calls for holiness for our souls to become purified and saved...I don't know but that's how I see holiness ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Um and you don't need to find holy people to hang with because creation is holy in itself and the Lord can be found anywhere if you seek him hard enough, but you don't need to find holy people to connect with the Lord, you can walk in the presence of him , sit outside and sing with the birds, listen for Jesus' voice in the whisper of the wind or feel the touch of the rain with your palm. And I'm not saying there is anything wrong with finding holy people to hang with because the Bible says bad company corrupts character, I'm just saying God is already a little all around us but sometimes people don't even notice that...hanging with holy people doesn't make us holy, it only keeps us in the company and presence of these people where you can do the same with the Lord who is the true holy one...

Upvote 0

Jen35

Mar 31, 2019
✟19,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is OSAS? I never heard or read of such a thing in the Bible, but I do remember reading about how Jesus said that he would lose none that belonged to him. So what is OSAS when Jesus says he will not lose any of those who belongs to him and that he would never driven away anyone who comes to him so why would the Lord take away those people salvation if he says he will lose none. OSAS sounds like something made up by man. We are not to put our faith in man we are suppose to listen to God and follow his words...

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might like YouTube videos about Scottish revival meetings led by Duncan Campbell or Leonard Ravenhill. Mary Peckham preached the Gospel in Scotland during more recent times. As I listened to her, I knew she spent much time reading the scriptures. YouTube videos were also made about the 1906 Azusa Street Revival in Los Angeles where miracles were reported.
Scriptures like..."But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence." (1 Tim 2:12) ?

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is OSAS? I never heard or read of such a thing in the Bible, but I do remember reading about how Jesus said that he would lose none that belonged to him. So what is OSAS when Jesus says he will not lose any of those who belongs to him and that he would never driven away anyone who comes to him so why would the Lord take away those people salvation if he says he will lose none. OSAS sounds like something made up by man. We are not to put our faith in man we are suppose to listen to God and follow his words...
OSAS is a false doctrine invented by man to accommodate sin in the body of Christ.
No matter what you do...you have salvation.
That is a lie.

Upvote 0