The Need to Hang With Holiness Folk

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Bible also says that God has chosen us to salvation through two things.

#1. Belief in the Truth (i.e. Jesus is the Truth - John 14:6).
#2. Sanctification of the Spirit (i.e. holy living - 1 Thessalonians 4:3).​

"...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:" (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How George Clark Rankin picked up his salvation in North Georgia in the mid-1800's, which is how I picked it up as well.... The Life of George Clark Rankin

I am looking for this type experience in which this camp meeting seems my best bet.

I see you like the classic Methodists.

The following article was written by Mr. Jeff Paton. Mr. Paton has read and studied many of the classic Methodist and Wesleyan theological writings. He is a supporter of bible believing Methodism.

Here is the article (if you are interested):
faith by works

• Winner
Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I see you like the classic Methodists.

The following article was written by Mr. Jeff Paton. Mr. Paton has read and studied many of the classic Methodist and Wesleyan theological writings. He is a supporter of bible believing Methodism.

faith by works
Yes indeed! Love it!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I also feel that there is a need to hang (i.e. fellowship) with brethren who are focused on holiness or holy living. We are living in a generation that is indifferent to the Bible. Even many Christians do not think holiness is essential to the Christian life anymore. This saddens me greatly.

Here is a Christian movie (that is currently showing in limited theaters) that I had seen that focuses on the importance of following the Lord.

Showtimes and locations can be found on this website (if you are interested):

Play The Flute Movie

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟931,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see the the speakers are two Methodists and two Wesleyans. My roots are in the Wesleyan and Methodist churches. I remember going to camp meeting with my parents before I was 5 years old when they turned Methodist. My memories are vague but pleasant due to my age at the time. If you attend, I hope you have an enriching experience.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, read and understand the variety and be a little slower to judge what you know nothing about.... Home

We Believe…

Scripture: The Bible is the divinely inspired word of God, providing authoritative guidance for every challenge and experience of life.
Salvation: All are under the penalty of sin, but God’s redemptive plan provides salvation for everyone who believes in Jesus Christ.
Sanctification: Sanctification is a second definite work of grace following salvation, which cleanses our hearts from the power of sin, and continues as a process of growing more Christ-like in everyday living.
The Holy Spirit: The Holy Spirit provides the sanctified believer the power to grow more like Christ in his daily walk.
Curious, are you a Trinitarian?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Curious, are you a Trinitarian?

I believe in the Trinity, and Sola Scriptura, and yet I believe that the Bible teaches "God's grace through faith + Works of Faith = Salvation."

Christ's Sanctified Holy church (that resides on the Eastern seaboard) is the only church I am aware of that believes this way, as well. Most other churches I have encountered prefer to justify sin on some level via by Belief Alone-ism. But Titus 2:11-12 says that the grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world. Jude 1:4 talks about those who turn God's grace into a license for immorality. This is why I believe we are living in the last days, and many have a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof (See: 2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't Holiness = self-righteousness unless you believe in OSAS

Not at all. After one is saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus, I believe the Lord does the good work through them, and they give all the glory to God and not themselves.

As for OSAS (Once Saved Always Saved): No offense, but I see OSAS, as a license for immorality because when you tell a person they are forever saved no matter what, they can think they can sin and still be saved on some level.

Note: One does not have to believe in OSAS and yet they can also justify sin with the thinking they are saved, too. From my experience, Free Will Baptists have expressed this kind of belief to me before. They don't believe in OSAS, but they don't believe sin can separate a person from God.

However, both OSAS and the Free Will Baptist belief appears to contradict the teachings of Jesus Christ. Matthew 5:28-30 says that if one looks upon a woman in lust, their whole body can be cast into hell fire. Matthew 6:15 says that if one does not forgive, they will not be forgiven. Jesus says that if anyone does not receive His words, those very words will judge them on the last day (See: John 12:48). So I do not see how Christians have a safety net to sin on some level (Which is what OSAS type thinking leads to - IMHO, i.e. In my humble opinion).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Doesn't Holiness = self-righteousness unless you believe in OSAS
It can.... Just a little of the proud self-righteousness spirit, in the words of the Apostle Paul leavens the whole lump and is not good! How George Clark Rankin picked up his salvation in North Georgia in the mid-1800's, which is how I picked it up as well.... The Life of George Clark Rankin

I am looking for this type experience in which this camp meeting seems my best bet.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It can.... Just a little of the proud self-righteousness spirit, in the words of the Apostle Paul leavens the whole lump and is not good! How George Clark Rankin picked up his salvation in North Georgia in the mid-1800's, which is how I picked it up as well.... The Life of George Clark Rankin

It seems holiness to those OSAS = thanksgiving exemplified by their lifestyle. Where the others see it more as salvation by works.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It seems holiness to those OSAS = thanksgiving exemplified by their lifestyle. Where the others see it more as salvation by works.

But what of the times that OSAS person is falling into sin sometimes? Do they just trust in Jesus and they are good to go? We are told to confess our sins, to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9). We are told to walk in the light as He is in the light and the blood of Jesus Christ will cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7). Proverbs 28:13 says he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy. So I just do not see what you see when you read the Bible on this matter, friend.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You have to realize that Jesus did NOT accept the believer who did both evil and good in Matthew 7:23. He told those believers who did wonderful works in his name to depart from Him because they worked iniquity (sin). They did not know the Lord because they did not truly obey Him. For we know that we can have an assurance in knowing the Lord if we find that we are keeping His commandments (1 John 2:3). But the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in Him (1 John 2:4); And a person needs to abide in the Son in order to have life (i.e. eternal life) (See: 1 John 5:12).

• Useful
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
OSAS is not taught by these Wesleyan, Georgian, type Holiness.

This type Holiness sounds closest to the Congregational Holiness, based in nearby Griffin, GA. I have had pleasant experiences with the people here...

What We Believe - Congregational Holiness Church, Inc.

1. There is but One Living and True God, the Great Creator, and there are three persons in the Godhead. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Genesis 1:1-27; Matthew 28:19; I John 5:7.
2. We believe the Holy Bible to be the inspired Word of God. II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21.
3. We believe we are justified when we repent of our sins, and believe in Jesus Christ. Mark 1:15; Acts 13:38-39; Romans 5:1.
4.We believe Sanctification to be a definite work of Grace, subsequent to Salvation. John 15:2; 17:16-17; Ephesians 5:25-27; I John 1:9.
5.We believe in the baptism with the Holy Ghost, and speaking with other tongues, as the Spirit gives utterance to be the initiatory evidence of this experience.Acts 2:4; 10:44-46; 19:6. Since the Spirit gives the utterance when one is baptized with the Holy Ghost, we reject the practice of one telling another what to say in order to speak in tongues. We also reject the teaching that one who has received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost can speak in tongues at will, without the Spirit prompting the utterance.
6. We believe in divine healing for the body. Acts 3:2-12; 9:32-43; 5:15-16; James 5:14. We do not condemn medical science.
7. We believe every blessing we receive from God including Divine healing, comes through the merits of the atonement. Romans 5:11; James 1:16-17.
8. We believe in the operation of the nine gifts of the Spirit and encourage our people to so live that these gifts may be manifested in their lives. I Corinthians 12:1-12.
9. We believe in the imminent rapture of the church, and the personal, pre-millennial Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 1:10-11; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 1:7.
10. We, as a church, believe in the eternal redemption of all saints who are faithful to the end. Matthew 24:13; Revelation 2:10. But we reject the theory of "Once in grace always in grace" regardless of conduct. I Corinthians 10:12; Galatians 5:4.
11. We believe all who die out of Christ will be punished eternally, but those who die in Him shall share His glory forever. Daniel 12:2; Matthew 25:46; John 5:29; Jude 7.
12 We believe the Bride of Christ is composed of the entire Spiritual Church. I Corinthians 12:25; II Corinthians 11:2; Galatians 3:28-29; Ephesians 4:16; 5:23-33; Revelation 19:7-8.
13 We believe in the sacredness of marriage between one man and one woman. We promote commitment to strong family values. Ephesians 5:31-33; 6:1-4; Hebrews 13:4; Matthew 19:5; Leviticus 18:22; Genesis 2:24.
14 We require all our ministers to speak the same thing, and that there be no division among us in doctrine concerning our Articles of Faith. I Corinthians 1:10.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what of the times that OSAS person is falling into sin sometimes? Do they just trust in Jesus and they are good to go? We are told to confess our sins, to be forgiven of sin (1 John 1:9). We are told to walk in the light as He is in the light and the blood of Jesus Christ will cleanse us from all sin (1 John 1:7). Proverbs 28:13 says he that confesses and forsakes sin shall have mercy. So I just do not see what you see when you read the Bible on this matter, friend.
If the OSAS person lives a holy life in thanksgiving, it is rare that they sin. John says; “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” 1 John 3:9 (KJV 1900)

But the insecure see holiness ans a level of works they need perform to keep saved = salvation by works.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
OSAS is not taught by these Wesleyan, Georgian, type Holiness.

This type Holiness sounds closest to the Congregational Holiness, based in nearby Griffin, GA. I have had pleasant experiences with the people here...

What We Believe - Congregational Holiness Church, Inc.

1. There is but One Living and True God, the Great Creator, and there are three persons in the Godhead. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Genesis 1:1-27; Matthew 28:19; I John 5:7.
2. We believe the Holy Bible to be the inspired Word of God. II Timothy 3:16; II Peter 1:20-21.
3. We believe we are justified when we repent of our sins, and believe in Jesus Christ. Mark 1:15; Acts 13:38-39; Romans 5:1.
4.We believe Sanctification to be a definite work of Grace, subsequent to Salvation. John 15:2; 17:16-17; Ephesians 5:25-27; I John 1:9.
5.We believe in the baptism with the Holy Ghost, and speaking with other tongues, as the Spirit gives utterance to be the initiatory evidence of this experience.Acts 2:4; 10:44-46; 19:6. Since the Spirit gives the utterance when one is baptized with the Holy Ghost, we reject the practice of one telling another what to say in order to speak in tongues. We also reject the teaching that one who has received the Baptism of the Holy Ghost can speak in tongues at will, without the Spirit prompting the utterance.
6. We believe in divine healing for the body. Acts 3:2-12; 9:32-43; 5:15-16; James 5:14. We do not condemn medical science.
7. We believe every blessing we receive from God including Divine healing, comes through the merits of the atonement. Romans 5:11; James 1:16-17.
8. We believe in the operation of the nine gifts of the Spirit and encourage our people to so live that these gifts may be manifested in their lives. I Corinthians 12:1-12.
9. We believe in the imminent rapture of the church, and the personal, pre-millennial Second Coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Acts 1:10-11; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 1:7.
10. We, as a church, believe in the eternal redemption of all saints who are faithful to the end. Matthew 24:13; Revelation 2:10. But we reject the theory of "Once in grace always in grace" regardless of conduct. I Corinthians 10:12; Galatians 5:4.
11. We believe all who die out of Christ will be punished eternally, but those who die in Him shall share His glory forever. Daniel 12:2; Matthew 25:46; John 5:29; Jude 7.
12 We believe the Bride of Christ is composed of the entire Spiritual Church. I Corinthians 12:25; II Corinthians 11:2; Galatians 3:28-29; Ephesians 4:16; 5:23-33; Revelation 19:7-8.
13 We believe in the sacredness of marriage between one man and one woman. We promote commitment to strong family values. Ephesians 5:31-33; 6:1-4; Hebrews 13:4; Matthew 19:5; Leviticus 18:22; Genesis 2:24.
14 We require all our ministers to speak the same thing, and that there be no division among us in doctrine concerning our Articles of Faith. I Corinthians 1:10.
Here's how I understand Holiness. Jesus paid for all of my sins, past, present, and future. And just as in America you cannot be punished twice for the same crime, as a Christian, I cannot be punished for any sin no matter how serious. But, in view of that, God gave me a brand new nature that loves him and hates sin. So even if free to sin, It repulses me and I love the fullness of the Spirit that comes from holiness more than anything else.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the OSAS person lives a holy life in thanksgiving, it is rare that they sin. John says; “Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.” 1 John 3:9 (KJV 1900)

But the insecure see holiness ans a level of works they need perform to keep saved = salvation by works.

But the OSAS message (if not explained properly) can easily lead others to think the wrong way in the fact that they can sin and still be saved on some level.

Another problem is that the rare time that an OSAS believer sins, you obviously think they are saved during the time they are temporarily in sin. But do they confess it? Why do they need to do so? The Bible says it is to be forgiven of sin as to the purpose why they need to confess of their sin (1 John 1:9). If future sin was paid for, it makes no sense to confess sins.

In short, it is not a method of properly dealing with sin and forgiveness.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the OSAS message (if not explained properly) can easily lead others to think the wrong way in the fact that they can sin and still be saved on some level.

Another problem is that the rare time that an OSAS believer sins, you obviously think they are saved during the time they are temporarily in sin. But do they confess it? Why do they need to do so? The Bible says it is to be forgiven of sin as to the purpose why they need to confess of their sin (1 John 1:9). If future sin was paid for, it makes no sense to confess sins.
Jesus paid for all of my sins, past, present, and future. And just as in America you cannot be punished twice for the same crime, as a Christian, I cannot be punished for any sin no matter how serious. But, in view of that, God gave me a brand new nature that loves him and hates sin. So even if free to sin, It repulses me and I love the fullness of the Spirit that comes from holiness more than anything else.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0