Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is for sharing examples of Near/Far fulfilment of prophecy. It is commonly known as ‘Dual’ or ‘Double’ fulfilment but such terms suggest prophecy might be re-enacted exactly. That is not what is meant. Near/Far prophecy happens when a prediction takes place sometime after the announcement then a fulfilment happens again, usually expanding on the former fulfilment or including an aspect that is still waiting. In both cases the fulfilments are clearly recognisable to the era concerned, except that in the near case the tone is literal and the far appears exaggerated. In actual fact, the far portion of the prophecy is metaphorical with the first event, but it is literal in the second fulfilment.

Why is it important to understand this? Well, when we realise that prophecy can be graduated over more than one event it satisfies the prophetic description without forcing us to choose between the extremes of Futurism and Preterism. There are many examples of Near/Far prophecy in the Bible. Let’s have a look at a few of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jok

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example 1 – The Abrahamic Covenant.

Predicted 2090 BC

“And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed … and I will surely multiply your offspring as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice." (Genesis 12: 2-3, 22:17-18)

1st Fulfillment 960 BC

Judah and Israel were as many as the sand by the sea. They ate and drank and were happy. Solomon ruled over all the kingdoms from the Euphrates to the land of the Philistines and to the border of Egypt. They brought tribute and served Solomon all the days of his life. (1 Kings 4:20)

2nd Fulfillment 30AD

For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God’s truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, "Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name." (Romans 15:8-9)

As we can see, both fulfilments satisfied the original promise but there was a thousand years between them. This case of 'near/far' is now over and provides us with a good example of how other prophecies (yet to be finished) may work out in the future. The ultimate end of the promise was to bless the nations. But there were a number of clauses in the Abrahamic covenant ALL OF WHICH required fulfillment and they did not happen at the same time.

The clauses of the Abrahamic covenant are as follows:
  1. I will make of you a great nation.
  2. To your offspring I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates.
  3. You shall be the father of a multitude of nations.
  4. Your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore.
  5. Your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies
  6. In you all the families/nations of the earth shall be blessed.
This covenant was repeated to each of the patriarchs more than once each so I won’t bore you with the references. Clauses #1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 came in steps from Joshua till Solomon and the Solomon reference virtually re-quotes the Abrahamic Covt verbatim (King 4:20) to show God’s faithfulness to his word. So, it was a fulfillment – a 'near' fulfillment.

Clause #6 was fulfilled in Christ’s ministry – a 'far' fulfillment.
Clauses #4 & 5 have both a physical fulfillment as well as a spiritual. They were progressively fulfilled, first in Israel and secondly in the Church. So, the Abrahamic covenant is an example of near/far prophecy.

Reactions: Jok and jahel
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this your position concerning ALL prophecy? Can I assume that you believe there will be a future redemption of man through some future sacrifice? In other words, your thought here opens the door for a future Calvary. Perhaps the establishment of a new Church. Another virgin birth?

I have to ask: Where does the bible teach that? Quite simply, it doesn't. That position is entirely unbiblical, and has no root in apostolic belief or teaching (scripture). It is an allegory invented by later futurists, but was unknown to the apostles.

I think you, like so many, may have confused Old Testament typology (shadows and types) with the realities of Christ and the New Covenant (which are not mere shadows and types).

Let's start with the crucifixion. What current events look to be the GREATER fulfillment of the calvary event in our bibles? 9/11?? Columbine? Some other event coming soon? Abortion? Something has to fit...rule of multiple fulfillments.

Next, let's look at the virgin birth. Perhaps cloning is the greater fulfillment in our times of that shadow provided by Mary and Jesus? Something has to fit...rule of multiple fulfillments.

Christ's ministry of miraculous cures. No doubt that modern medicine is the GREATER messiah of our times for which Jesus was a mere shadow. Modern medicine has brought cures for ailments and diseases on a massive scale NEVER before done by anyone including Jesus. Surely Christ's healings were just a type for a far greater healing of the sick in our times.

Do I really need to keep going?

I have fairly applied the logic presented in your OP to other important subjects of bible prophecy to illustrate just how inconsistent and absurd a "multiple fulfillments" concept is.

Where you seem to be getting confused is in the O.T. theology of Messianic TYPOLOGY. Typology is the biblically supported doctrine wherein the apostles claim that the Mosaic Ministry (Temple, sacrifices, priesthood, etc) were foreshadowings of Jesus Christ. We all should study this important concept and recognize that the pattern ends once the Mosaic System is gone.

Please recognize that the terminus for this TYPOLOGICAL method of understanding the Old Covenant passages arrived 20 centuries ago -- and so to continue turning NEW COVENANT ERA things into mere types and shadows of yet-future-to-us events is not Biblically supported.

Typology is a timebound heremeneutic. Those shadows of the O.T. foretold the story of the Messianic Advent via things familiar to the Jews' way of life. Once Christ is come the shadows are done away (Col 2:16-17). The heavenly things that arrived in Christ's advent are the object for which the types only were shadows (Heb 8:4-5). These heavenly New Covenant things are the final destiny. The Law contained the shadow but not the very image of such great things (Heb 10:1-2). We have the heavenly things now. They have been delivered and they are the END product, not the mere means to some future and better end product. The eternal New Covenant IS the destination. One could say that the entire book of Hebrews, from chapter 1 to chapter 13, argues this exact point. The biblical answer answering this whole question is written down as the book of Hebrews (all).

The shadows are fulfilled in the present, eternal, New Covenant Age that was ushered in during the last days period of the typological Old Testament Age. The New Covenant delivered REALITIES, and not more types and shadows, as appears to be your OP assertion..

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Typologies, parables and analogies are an aide to understanding the higher principles that Christ has fulfilled. The physical sight to spiritual sight. Seeing one can shift the paradigm to see the other.

This email I received today explains it better.

The founding and structure of the nation of Israel is a significant analogy to the kingdom of God within us.

The nation of Israel began with one man (Abraham) who had faith in God and entered into a blood covenant with Him. Similarly, the present kingdom of God also begins with one person who has faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and who enters into a covenant relationship with Him. (See Ephesians 2:12-14.)

I also saw that the nation of Israel had laws given to them by God through Moses. The kingdom of God has commands given to us by God through Jesus Christ. Just as Israel's laws provided safety and guidance to the nation, so the commands of Christ give protection and direction for believers.

The analogies between the first two kings of Israel, Saul and David, and our old and new natures are abundant and profound. When Saul saw that David would be king, he tried to kill him. Similarly, our old nature carries on a continual warfare against our new nature. “For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would” (Galatians 5:17).

Until our old nature, represented by Saul, is put to death, our new nature, represented by David, cannot reign.

Institute in Basic Life Principles

Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Example 1 – The Abrahamic Covenant.

Predicted 2090 BC

“And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed … and I will surely multiply your offspring as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies, and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice." (Genesis 12: 2-3, 22:17-18)

1st Fulfillment 960 BC

Judah and Israel were as many as the sand by the sea. They ate and drank and were happy. Solomon ruled over all the kingdoms from the Euphrates to the land of the Philistines and to the border of Egypt. They brought tribute and served Solomon all the days of his life. (1 Kings 4:20)

2nd Fulfillment 30AD

For I tell you that Christ became a servant to the circumcised to show God’s truthfulness, in order to confirm the promises given to the patriarchs, and in order that the Gentiles might glorify God for his mercy. As it is written, "Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles, and sing to your name." (Romans 15:8-9)

As we can see, both fulfilments satisfied the original promise but there was a thousand years between them. This case of 'near/far' is now over and provides us with a good example of how other prophecies (yet to be finished) may work out in the future. The ultimate end of the promise was to bless the nations. But there were a number of clauses in the Abrahamic covenant ALL OF WHICH required fulfillment and they did not happen at the same time.

The clauses of the Abrahamic covenant are as follows:
  1. I will make of you a great nation.
  2. To your offspring I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates.
  3. You shall be the father of a multitude of nations.
  4. Your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore.
  5. Your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies
  6. In you all the families/nations of the earth shall be blessed.
This covenant was repeated to each of the patriarchs more than once each so I won’t bore you with the references. Clauses #1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 came in steps from Joshua till Solomon and the Solomon reference virtually re-quotes the Abrahamic Covt verbatim (King 4:20) to show God’s faithfulness to his word. So, it was a fulfillment – a 'near' fulfillment.

Clause #6 was fulfilled in Christ’s ministry – a 'far' fulfillment.
Clauses #4 & 5 have both a physical fulfillment as well as a spiritual. They were progressively fulfilled, first in Israel and secondly in the Church. So, the Abrahamic covenant is an example of near/far prophecy.
Near/far doesn’t always apply as a reliable concept to follow, altho I think in a sense we might all be saying the same thing. Physical to spiritual I can understand but the 6 steps is very confusing

Upvote 0

sovereigngrace

Dec 9, 2019
USA
Visit site
✟200,064.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is this your position concerning ALL prophecy? Can I assume that you believe there will be a future redemption of man through some future sacrifice? In other words, your thought here opens the door for a future Calvary. Perhaps the establishment of a new Church. Another virgin birth?

I have to ask: Where does the bible teach that? Quite simply, it doesn't. That position is entirely unbiblical, and has no root in apostolic belief or teaching (scripture). It is an allegory invented by later futurists, but was unknown to the apostles.

I think you, like so many, may have confused Old Testament typology (shadows and types) with the realities of Christ and the New Covenant (which are not mere shadows and types).

Let's start with the crucifixion. What current events look to be the GREATER fulfillment of the calvary event in our bibles? 9/11?? Columbine? Some other event coming soon? Abortion? Something has to fit...rule of multiple fulfillments.

Next, let's look at the virgin birth. Perhaps cloning is the greater fulfillment in our times of that shadow provided by Mary and Jesus? Something has to fit...rule of multiple fulfillments.

Christ's ministry of miraculous cures. No doubt that modern medicine is the GREATER messiah of our times for which Jesus was a mere shadow. Modern medicine has brought cures for ailments and diseases on a massive scale NEVER before done by anyone including Jesus. Surely Christ's healings were just a type for a far greater healing of the sick in our times.

Do I really need to keep going?

I have fairly applied the logic presented in your OP to other important subjects of bible prophecy to illustrate just how inconsistent and absurd a "multiple fulfillments" concept is.

Where you seem to be getting confused is in the O.T. theology of Messianic TYPOLOGY. Typology is the biblically supported doctrine wherein the apostles claim that the Mosaic Ministry (Temple, sacrifices, priesthood, etc) were foreshadowings of Jesus Christ. We all should study this important concept and recognize that the pattern ends once the Mosaic System is gone.

Please recognize that the terminus for this TYPOLOGICAL method of understanding the Old Covenant passages arrived 20 centuries ago -- and so to continue turning NEW COVENANT ERA things into mere types and shadows of yet-future-to-us events is not Biblically supported.

Typology is a timebound heremeneutic. Those shadows of the O.T. foretold the story of the Messianic Advent via things familiar to the Jews' way of life. Once Christ is come the shadows are done away (Col 2:16-17). The heavenly things that arrived in Christ's advent are the object for which the types only were shadows (Heb 8:4-5). These heavenly New Covenant things are the final destiny. The Law contained the shadow but not the very image of such great things (Heb 10:1-2). We have the heavenly things now. They have been delivered and they are the END product, not the mere means to some future and better end product. The eternal New Covenant IS the destination. One could say that the entire book of Hebrews, from chapter 1 to chapter 13, argues this exact point. The biblical answer answering this whole question is written down as the book of Hebrews (all).

The shadows are fulfilled in the present, eternal, New Covenant Age that was ushered in during the last days period of the typological Old Testament Age. The New Covenant delivered REALITIES, and not more types and shadows, as appears to be your OP assertion..

How about addressing what Christian wrote instead of what he didn't write?

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, but I’ve seen a few.

Where does scripture teach which prophesies to expect multiple fulfillments of and which not to?
Or are we just supposed to Guess?

Have you read my 1st example? Did you notice 1000 years between the first clause of the Abrahamic covenant and fulfilment of the last clause?

Correct.
As I elaborated originally, Pre Christ/Type --then- Christ/antitype-fulfillment

Such is the OT Typological hermeneutic employed by Christ and the apostles... there is no such thing as any Christic or apostolic teaching of any NT "typology" for NT prophesies to have near/far or type/antitype relationships.

The Shadow is Gone.

Stay posted. I’ve got one on that to make you happy.
WooHoo! Can't wait :)

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is for sharing examples of Near/Far fulfilment of prophecy. It is commonly known as ‘Dual’ or ‘Double’ fulfilment but such terms suggest prophecy might be re-enacted exactly. That is not what is meant. Near/Far prophecy happens when a prediction takes place sometime after the announcement then a fulfilment happens again, usually expanding on the former fulfilment or including an aspect that is still waiting. In both cases the fulfilments are clearly recognisable to the era concerned, except that in the near case the tone is literal and the far appears exaggerated. In actual fact, the far portion of the prophecy is metaphorical with the first event, but it is literal in the second fulfilment.

Why is it important to understand this? Well, when we realise that prophecy can be graduated over more than one event it satisfies the prophetic description without forcing us to choose between the extremes of Futurism and Preterism. There are many examples of Near/Far prophecy in the Bible. Let’s have a look at a few of them.

I think types and antitypes are better terms. The types (near) had applicability in the OT but they pointed to Jesus, the antitype (far), For Jesus is yes to all the promises of God.

Thus, the prophets spoke of Christ's 1st coming

Luke 24:44 Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

The days surrounding his 1st coming, and leading up to....

Acts 3:24 Indeed, all the prophets from Samuel on, as many as have spoken, have proclaimed these days

.....His coming in judgment upon Israel
Luke 21:21-22 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it, for these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written.

Let's use your interpretation style for the Ezekiel temple.

Its exaggerated details find metaphorical fulfillment when Israel rebuilt it upon return from Babylonian exile (near). But its far fulfillment would be with a literal earthly temple building?

I prefer the type/antitype or parable interpretation style, considering God himself stated he spoke to the prophets of Israel in visions/dreams/riddles/parables (numbers 12:6-8, hosea 12:10).

The Ezekiel temple is an earthly picture (type) that the Israelites would be familiar with, but this picture/shadow ultimately finds its fulfillment in the body of Christ, the true temple (antitype), to which the parable/vision/dream is about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟290,689.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Ezekiel temple is an earthly picture (type) that the Israelites would be familiar with, but this picture/shadow ultimately finds its fulfillment in the body of Christ, the true temple (antitype), to which the parable/vision/dream is about.
Scripture is clear: there will be a new Temple in Jerusalem. 2 Thessalonians 2:4, Revelation 11:1

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think types and antitypes are better terms. The types (near) had applicability in the OT but they pointed to Jesus, the antitype (far), For Jesus is yes to all the promises of God.

Some of the examples that I will give (just a bit busy at the moment) are types and antitypes like you say, but that doesn't alter the fact that a near fulfillment occurs to the satisfaction of its observers, then its greater fulfillment occurs hundreds of years later.

I notice that neither of you have commented on my first example. Do you acknowledge that the Abrahamic covenant was fulfilled in more than one steps?

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I notice that neither of you have commented on my first example. Do you acknowledge that the Abrahamic covenant was fulfilled in more than one steps?

I view the abrahamic covenant a little differently

Paul is clear that the PLURAL promises made to Abraham and his offspring, where to Christ, not the plural offsprings

Galatians 3:16 Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, “And to offsprings,” referring to many, but referring to one, “And to your offspring,” who is Christ.

I think I have an issue mainly with calling the "near" portion of the Abrahamic covenant a fulfillment. I view fulfillment as completion. Thus, dual fulfillment doesn't make sense to me, because only Christ can fulfill.

I would argue that none of the 6 points that you mention were brought to "fulfillment" or "completion" until Christ came.

• I will make of you a great nation.
    • To your offspring I give this land, from the river of Egypt to the great river, the river Euphrates.
    • You shall be the father of a multitude of nations.
    • Your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore.
    • Your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies
    • In you all the families/nations of the earth shall be blessed.
While, these 6 points find applicability in their type (joshua 21:45, 1 kings 4:20) in regards to the nation of Israel, they were not the fulfillment, but only a prefigure of its ultimate fulfillment in Christ, the antitype (galatians 3:16).

Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I fully agree with claninja's Assessment above.

And reiterate my initial point, That the OT types point to NT realities, however the NT realities are not themselves types that in turn point to future, greater fulfillments.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the Solomon reference virtually re-quotes the Abrahamic Covt verbatim (King 4:20) to show God’s faithfulness to his word. So, it was a fulfillment – a 'near' fulfillment.

While, these 6 points find applicability in their type (joshua 21:45, 1 kings 4:20) in regards to the nation of Israel, they were not the fulfillment,

Uh, :scratch: I could have sworn that the land promise was fulfilled literally during the reign of Solomon? And the 'good news to the gentiles' promise fulfilled literally at the Gentile Pentecost in Acts 10? :sorry:

Okay, on to my next example.

Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example 2 – Sign of a virgin.

Predicted 735 BC

Speaking to King Ahaz, Isaiah challenged him to ask God for a sign. He declined, so Isaiah told him he would get one anyway. Here was the sign:

“Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will you weary my God also? Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.” (Isaiah 7:13-14)

1st Fulfillment 734 BC

Notice this was fulfilled in the next few passages of Isaiah when a son was born followed by a declaration that the King of Assyria would come. A straight forward reading of Isaiah tells us how the first child provided a sign to Ahaz concerning the Assyrian invasion.

2nd Fulfillment (5 BC)

And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins. So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." (Matt 1:21-23)

If someone says that this only refers to Jesus birth and not to Isaiah’s time, they have a problem to answer. How could Jesus' birth be a sign to Ahaz that Assyria was coming if Jesus would not be born until hundreds of years after? So, Isaiah 7-9 is a progressive fulfilment prophecy. It is begun in Ahaz day and was ultimately fulfilled in Christ. This is the only way that all details of this powerful prophecy can be fulfilled.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Uh, :scratch: I could have sworn that the land promise was fulfilled literally during the reign of Solomon? And the 'good news to the gentiles' promise fulfilled literally at the Gentile Pentecost in Acts 10? :sorry:

Notice Paul refers to the promiseS, which are PLURAL. The promiseS made to Abraham and his offspring are to Christ, the singular seed.

Galatians 3:16 The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say, “and to seeds,” meaning many, but “and to your seed,” meaning One, who is Christ.

Thus, while Solomon reigning over all of the promised land is applicable to the Abrahamic covenant, through what is called a "type". That is not the fulfillment of the promise made to Abraham. Christ fulfilled that promise. He is the "antitype". It is Christ who was raised to the right hand of God with dominion over all the earth, and thus all the earth, which includes the promise land, is His forever.

I'm still not understanding how something can have more than 1 fulfillment/completion. If the fulfillment is found in Christ, then anything coming before that would not be a fulfillment, but shadow/picture/parable/prefigure.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example 2 – Sign of a virgin.

Predicted 735 BC

Speaking to King Ahaz, Isaiah challenged him to ask God for a sign. He declined, so Isaiah told him he would get one anyway. Here was the sign:

“Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will you weary my God also? Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.” (Isaiah 7:13-14)

1st Fulfillment 734 BC

Notice this was fulfilled in the next few passages of Isaiah when a son was born followed by a declaration that the King of Assyria would come. A straight forward reading of Isaiah tells us how the first child provided a sign to Ahaz concerning the Assyrian invasion.

2nd Fulfillment (5 BC)

And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins. So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." (Matt 1:21-23)

If someone says that this only refers to Jesus birth and not to Isaiah’s time, they have a problem to answer. How could Jesus' birth be a sign to Ahaz that Assyria was coming if Jesus would not be born until hundreds of years after? So, Isaiah 7-9 is a progressive fulfilment prophecy. It is begun in Ahaz day and was ultimately fulfilled in Christ. This is the only way that all details of this powerful prophecy can be fulfilled.

Christ is the fulfillment

"So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." (Matt 1:21-23).

Anything before that would not be a fulfillment but a type/shadow/picture/parable.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm still not understanding how something can have more than 1 fulfillment/completion. If the fulfillment is found in Christ, then anything coming before that would not be a fulfillment, but shadow/picture/parable/prefigure.

Indeed.
The word "FULFILLMENT" itself precludes anything "partial" about it.

Something is either "FULL-filled" or "UN-fulfilled"

Again, and why this seems like beating a dead horse I can't say, but the Type-Antitype relationship is the prophetic hermeneutic Jesus and the Apostles used, and as such should be the exact hermeneutic we must use.

There is no Near-Far FULL-fillment.

There is a "near" TYPOLOGICAL, application, then an eventual FULLfillment. And you have done a fine job in demonstrating the FULLfillment rests in the Person of Christ alone.

Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

Christian Gedge

Nov 29, 2017
Waikato
Visit site
✟227,010.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Example 3 – Promised Revival.

Predicted 700 – 500 BC

The prophet Joel describes a devastating plague of locusts and calls the nation to repentance. The date of this calamity and repentance is not known, but a promise was given.

I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God. (Joel 2:25-26)

1st Fulfillment 600 BC approx?

The promise was realised. The trees and the fields were revived; the people were revived! I have called this a ‘near’ fulfilment, but you may call it a ‘type’ if you prefer.

Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice, for the Lord has done great things! Fear not, you beasts of the field, for the pastures of the wilderness are green; the tree bears its fruit; the fig tree and vine give their full yield. “Be glad, O children of Zion, and rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given the early rain for your vindication; he has poured down for you abundant rain, the early and the latter rain. (Joel 2:21-22)

However, the promise was far bigger than anything natural rain could revive. Joel went on to say, “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh …” (Joel 2:28-29) Now, here is the point that I would like to make: the ultimate fulfilment of this prophecy wasn’t realised until hundreds of years later. It was the ‘far’ fulfilment – an extraordinary revival on the day of Pentecost following the accession of Christ. Peter explained:

2nd Fulfillment (30 AD)

This is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy. (Acts 2:16-21)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟793,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Example 3 – Promised Revival.

Predicted 700 – 500 BC

The prophet Joel describes a devastating plague of locusts and calls the nation to repentance. The date of this calamity and repentance is not known, but a promise was given.

I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the hopper, the destroyer, and the cutter, my great army, which I sent among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God. (Joel 2:25-26)

1st Fulfillment 600 BC approx?

The promise was realised. The trees and the fields were revived; the people were revived! I have called this a ‘near’ fulfilment, but you may call it a ‘type’ if you prefer.

Fear not, O land; be glad and rejoice, for the Lord has done great things! Fear not, you beasts of the field, for the pastures of the wilderness are green; the tree bears its fruit; the fig tree and vine give their full yield. “Be glad, O children of Zion, and rejoice in the Lord your God, for he has given the early rain for your vindication; he has poured down for you abundant rain, the early and the latter rain. (Joel 2:21-22)

However, the promise was far bigger than anything natural rain could revive. Joel went on to say, “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh …” (Joel 2:28-29) Now, here is the point that I would like to make: the ultimate fulfilment of this prophecy wasn’t realised until hundreds of years later. It was the ‘far’ fulfilment – an extraordinary revival on the day of Pentecost following the accession of Christ. Peter explained:

2nd Fulfillment (30 AD)

This is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy. (Acts 2:16-21)

Do you assert there will be a 3rd, or maybe even a 4th or 5th "ultra far fulfillment" or more in our future?
Why or why not?

You referenced Acts 2:16-21, yet only quoted Acts 2:16-17..

Lest look at 18-21
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants
I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy.
19 I will show wonders in heaven above
And signs in the earth beneath:
Blood and fire and vapor of smoke.
20 The sun shall be turned into darkness,
And the moon into blood,
Before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord.
21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the Lord
Shall be saved.’

Are you asserting vs 18-21 were fulfilled in the 2nd fulfillment?
Or should we be expecting the 18-21 verses to fulfilled one at a time in various 3rd, 4th, 5th "far" fulfillment in our future..?

Why or why not...?

Upvote 0