The Navigator a parralel between a ships navigator and the pastor of a church

Russ Campbell

An ounce of faith overcomes a ton of fear!
Site Supporter
Mar 12, 2017
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟92,521.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Navigator wrote by a servant of Jesus.

The Navigator aboard a ship has an essential position. His job is to be aware of the ship's position at all times.

Responsibilities include planning your journey, advising the captain of the ship of estimated timing to the destination while on a route, and assuring those pitfalls are avoided.

Let's talk about the captain, and possibly navigator for a church; he is your pastor; he is responsible for the churches navigation or guidance. He is to ensure that the church is not only going in the right direction but that it avoids going off in the wrong direction.

His GPS so to speak is the Bible. By carefully selecting the right scriptures not only is he keeping the church going in the right direction, but he is using his GPS, the Bible to guide us as to where the church should go in the future.

Let's talk about navigation a little more. Again one of the navigator's chief responsibilities is to see that the ship is going in the right direction; and that the passengers get to their destination without any difficulties. He is to nowadays use his GPS to make sure that it avoids any hazards like rocks, etc along the way.

Now let's talk about the leader of a church, its pastor, is both Captain and possibly the navigator, he must lead his church in the right direction.

He must use his GPS, the Bible to tell him if he is heading in the right direction. Not only must he avoid all of the pitfalls; especially Satan; that roaring lion who stands to devour anyone in his way.

As the captain and navigator of a ship, he is to ensure that all of his 'passengers' get to 'their destination without any difficulties'.

There is an instruction to the church from God; set your paths straight for the Lord.

Come on leaders; everything you need is in the Bible; it will tell you if you are leading your church in the wrong direction, or in the right direction.

My GPS says lead towards Jesus Christ of Nazareth and not this roaring lion that is ready to devour you and your church at the last moment.

I would like to quote something from the Bible as a way of direction; from my GPS; The Bible; it's Romans 12:1-21, 'Dedicated Service'; from the Amplified version.

Romans 12:1-21 I APPEAL to you therefore, brethren, and beg of you in view of [all] the mercies of God, to make a decisive dedication of your bodies [presenting all your members and faculties] as a living sacrifice, holy (devoted, consecrated) and well pleasing to God, which is your reasonable (rational, intelligent) service and spiritual worship.

Let us stop right here, What is Paul talking about in this verse, is he talking about our bodies, being physical bodies? Or is he talking about the Body of Christ? You decide from the rest of this chapter.

Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

Again is Paul talking about our minds or the overall mindset of Christ in the Body of Christ? Is he talking about renewing our minds with a new attitude towards Jesus Christ? Is he talking about proving the perfect will of God, the good, the acceptable things and the perfect things in our minds or the min of The Body of Christ?

For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.

Is Paul warning us to not have an exaggerated opinion of ourselves in this case? note he says ‘everyone among you'. Would that suggest the Body of Christ?

For as in one physical body we have many parts (organs, members) and all of these parts do not have the same function or use, So we, numerous as we are, are one body in Christ (the Messiah) and individually we are parts one of another [mutually dependent on one another]. Having gifts (faculties, talents, qualities) that differ according to the grace given us, let us use them: [He whose gift is] prophecy, [let him prophesy] according to the proportion of his faith; [He whose gift is] practical service, let him give himself to serving; he who teaches, to his teaching; He who exhorts (encourages), to his exhortation; he who contributes, let him do it in simplicity and liberality; he who gives aid and superintends, with zeal and singleness of mind; he who does acts of mercy, with genuine cheerfulness and joyful eagerness.

Is Paul talking about the Body of Christ here and as we all have many parts to our body, then the Body of Christ must also have many parts? Let us use our gifts folks, for the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. What is your role in this Body of Christ? I would like all of you who read this to really pray on this and see where the Lord leads you. Maybe you are meant to be the compass or GPS for your churches.

Is this last part an example of how to be Christlike, to the Body of Christ? I will let you the reader decide from these above final scriptures of Romans 12. But let me say that that is your compass from your GPS, the Bible, for you to use to guide or navigate the way in your churches.

[Let your] love be sincere (a real thing); hate what is evil [loathe all ungodliness, turn in horror from wickedness], but hold fast to that which is good. Love one another with brotherly affection [as members of one family], giving precedence and showing honor to one another. Never lag in zeal and in earnest endeavor; be aglow and burning with the Spirit, serving the Lord. Rejoice and exult in hope; be steadfast and patient in suffering and tribulation; be constant in prayer. Contribute to the needs of God's people [sharing in the necessities of the saints]; pursue the practice of hospitality. Bless those who persecute you [who are cruel in their attitude toward you]; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice [sharing others' joy], and weep with those who weep [sharing others' grief]. Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks. Never overestimate yourself or be wise in your own conceits. Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is honest and proper and noble [aiming to be above reproach] in the sight of everyone. If possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave the way open for [God's] wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is Mine, I will repay (requite), says the Lord.

But if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals upon his head. Do not let yourself be overcome by evil, but overcome (master) evil with good.

Now another scripture from Revelation 18, The Fall of Babylon from the Amplified Bible.

Revelation 18:1-23 THEN I saw another angel descending from heaven, possessing great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his radiance and splendor. And he shouted with a mighty voice, She is fallen! Mighty Babylon is fallen! She has become a resort and dwelling place for demons, a dungeon haunted by every loathsome spirit, an abode for every filthy and detestable bird. For all nations have drunk the wine of her passionate unchastity, and the rulers and leaders of the earth have joined with her in committing fornication (idolatry), and the businessmen of the earth have become rich with the wealth of her excessive luxury and wantonness.

Where is Babylon in the above verse, is it the world as we know it? or is it a specific place? If so where is it? You tell me OK?

I then heard another voice from heaven saying, Come out from her, my people, so that you may not share in her sins, neither participate in her plagues. For her iniquities (her crimes and transgressions) are piled up as high as heaven, and God has remembered her wickedness and [her] crimes [and calls them up for settlement]

This is coming folks, the signs and the times are right for the above, are you the pastor willing to navigate or captain your 'ship' in the right direction?

Repay to her what she herself has paid [to others] and double [her doom] in accordance with what she has done. Mix a double portion for her in the cup she mixed [for others].

To the degree that she glorified herself and reveled in her wantonness [living deliciously and luxuriously], to that measure impose on her torment and anguish and tears and mourning.

Are you as a church heading in this direction as above? I pray to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ that none of you are in this position.

Since in her heart she boasts, I am not a widow; as a queen [on a throne] I sit, and I shall never see suffering or experience sorrow-- So shall her plagues (afflictions, calamities) come thick upon her in a single day, pestilence and anguish and sorrow and famine; and she shall be utterly consumed (burned up with fire), for mighty is the Lord God Who judges her.

Are the pastors and leaders of our churches going to be judged the harshest ???? I judge nobody but merely point out the obvious.

And the rulers and leaders of the earth who joined her in her immorality (idolatry) and luxuriated with her will weep and beat their breasts and lament over her when they see the smoke of her conflagration.

They will stand a long way off, in terror of her torment, and they will cry, Woe and alas, the great city, the mighty city, Babylon!

In one single hour how your doom (judgment) has overtaken you! And earth's businessmen will weep and grieve over her because no one buys their freight (cargo) anymore. Their merchandise is of gold, silver, precious stones, and pearls; of fine linen, purple, silk, and scarlet [stuffs]; all kinds of scented wood, all sorts of articles of ivory, all varieties of objects of costly woods, bronze, iron, and marble; Of cinnamon, spices, incense, ointment and perfume, and frankincense, of wine and olive oil, fine flour and wheat; of cattle and sheep, horses and conveyances; and of slaves (the bodies) and souls of men!

The ripe fruits and delicacies for which your soul longed have gone from you, and all your luxuries and dainties, your elegance and splendor are lost to you, never again to be recovered or experienced

The dealers who handled these articles, who grew wealthy through their business with her, will stand a long way off, in terror of her doom and torment, weeping and grieving aloud, and saying, Alas, alas for the great city that was robed in fine linen, in purple and scarlet, bedecked and glittering with gold, with precious stones, and with pearls!

Could this be about material possessions in the churches nowadays ???? And their pastors that are richly adorned ???? A question to ask is: Would Jesus even wear a watch, let alone a Rolex? Or would He drive a fancy car ??? Would He use the simplest means of transportation available these days, and would He even care about the time? We are so caught up in time, Would He be?

Because in one [single] hour all the vast wealth has been destroyed (wiped out). And all ship captains and pilots, navigators and all who live by seafaring, the crews and all who ply their trade on the sea, stood a long way off, And exclaimed as they watched the smoke of her burning, What city could be compared to the great city!

Let us talk about these captains and pilots, and navigators, is He also talking about our pastors? Will they be the first to go, if they are not navigating or guiding their churches in the right direction, according to their GPS, The Bible? And if they are basing their service upon worldly values, and not Godly values, are they headed for destruction as in the next verses?

If you are not for the Body of Christ, and serve your own purposes, and do not follow the verses above inRomans 12, and do not navigate or guide your church in the direction of our Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, then are you as a church and pastor headed in the following direction?

And they threw dust on their heads as they wept and grieved, exclaiming, Woe and alas, for the great city, where all who had ships on the sea grew rich [through her extravagance] from her great wealth! In one single hour, she has been destroyed and has become a desert! Rejoice (celebrate) over her, O heaven! O saints (people of God) and apostles and prophets, because God has executed vengeance for you upon her! Then a single powerful angel took up a boulder like a great millstone and flung it into the sea, crying, With such violence shall Babylon the great city be hurled down to destruction and shall never again be found. And the sound of harpists and minstrels and flute players and trumpeters shall never again be heard in you, and no skilled artisan of any craft shall ever again be found in you, and the sound of the millstone shall never again be heard in you. And never again shall the light of a lamp shine in you, and the voice of bridegroom and bride shall never be heard in you again; for your businessmen were the great and prominent men of the earth and by your magic spells and poisonous charm all nations were led astray (seduced and deluded).

May God's grace keeps you from all of these pitfalls, and keep your eyes upon Jesus Christ of Nazareth. May you follow Him in the will of Jesus Christ with the help of the Holy Spirit and to the glory of God the Father.

My conclusion, if you are the navigator of a church or its pastor, and you are not guiding your church in the right direction according to the will of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, then you need to really need to get back to Jesus. Focus on Him, and like I said before, set your paths straight for The Lord.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, Jude 1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Last edited: