Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christians often say "You cannot hope to explain the nature of God." when a belief doesn't add up. Is this in itself a valid belief? I thought with Christ as our mediator, there were no limits.

The Scripture I shared with you about not needing any man to teach you has a very powerful and Spiritual meaning that will be revealed to you in the day of your visitation. The Scripture below is the answer to many questions regarding The Bible. It is not a Scripture that you will often hear a pastor speak about. However, in the day of your visitation with the exceptions spoken of by Moses in Numbers 16:29, many things that are currently a mystery to you will be revealed. If after you are illuminated, you get born again, then many more of God's mysteries will be revealed. Right now when you look at The Scripture below in Luke 22, consider where Peter was at the time Christ spoke God's Words. Right now you pray and try to be obedient to God's Word knowing that this day approaches should you continue in seeking The Lord your God. There is a day when the world at large will experience The Visitation with those exceptions and perhaps others that Moses spoke of in Numbers 16:29.

Luke.22 Verses 31 to 32

1. [31] And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
    [32] But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

1John.2
  1. [27] But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think it is more accurate to say that we can't "fully" explain the nature of God. We do have the Bible, and it imparts to us some modicum of information. It just doesn't do it in a comprehensive manner (nor could a finite writing do so, really). It's enough for us to know that: God is the Creator, God is Holy, God is Love, God is Just, God sent His Son, and that God has given us His Holy Spirit.

But, as to exactly the full nature of each of these characteristics and aspects of God is to remain a partial mystery.

But God isn't Love even by the Bible's own definition of love.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
He gave his own son so we can live. Thats love.

But why? Why couldn't we live without Jesus dying? Why must forgiveness require a blood sacrifice, a thought that seems more characteristic of a tribal war god than the God of the universe (which come to think of it Yahweh was the name of a Canaanite war god...)

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Im not seeing the contradiction here. Visiting the fathers iniquity upon the children isn't the same as handing out a death penalty. These scriptures dont necessarily contradict each other

As far as slavery goes, you are quoting very old scripture, the world was much different back then. Some people sold themselves into servitude to pay debts, or just to have a roof over their head and food in their stomach. There wasn unemployment benefits, nor welfare back then.

But God could have easily changed so it wasn't that way. And Moses Covenant or not, the world was that way at one point when it didn't have to be. And Jesus never said anything against slavery.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 7:2

The Bible does not say that a man must have one wife to those who do not hold some higher office. However, aside from saying that it's better not to marry, The Bible does tell us to obey man's laws provided that they don't oppose God's Laws as I understand it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Bible does not say that a man must have one wife to those who do not hold some higher office. However, aside from saying that it's better not to marry, The Bible does tell us to obey man's laws provided that they don't oppose God's Laws as I understand it.

I guess polygamy and sex outside of marriage were okay to God then, since it was okay for David (who God liked) to have concubines.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But God could have easily changed so it wasn't that way. And Moses Covenant or not, the world was that way at one point when it didn't have to be. And Jesus never said anything against slavery.
Jesus didnt need to say anything. Paul said we should not be servants of Men. Jesus sent the apostles to teach us what to observe. As far as why God does things goes, we are all sinners, and we deserve much more punishment than his grace. We are all going to die, is that unfair? He also said we can live forever. Is that a contradiction? No, but its His grace. Why question him? Either you have faith or not. I have many reasons to question God. Why did he make me the way i am? I could be mad at him, and i have been, but thats silly because He is eternal life for me. Im grateful.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But why? Why couldn't we live without Jesus dying? Why must forgiveness require a blood sacrifice, a thought that seems more characteristic of a tribal war god than the God of the universe (which come to think of it Yahweh was the name of a Canaanite war god...)
In my fallible opinion, i believe blood sacrifices were Gods way of giving mankind exactly what he wanted. Mankind (pagans) were the one who most likely started sacrificing animals to get Gods attention. Maybe im wrong about that, but either way, who else will you hope in? As for me, im glad to have the new covenant promises.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I guess polygamy and sex outside of marriage were okay to God then, since it was okay for David (who God liked) to have concubines.
God never wanted Israel to have a king in the first place. That was Israel who wanted a king. God gave then what they wanted.

• Agree
Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In my fallible opinion, i believe blood sacrifices were Gods way of giving mankind exactly what he wanted. Mankind (pagans) were the one who most likely started sacrificing animals to get Gods attention. Maybe im wrong about that, but either way, who else will you hope in? As for me, im glad to have the new covenant promises.

But it says at some point that the smell of burning flesh is pleasing to God. God could have told them not to do blood sacrifices but he seemed okay with it.

As for "who else will you hope in?" though I do believe in God, don't people of other religions or no religion find hope in their lives as well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it says at some point that the smell of burning flesh is pleasing to God. God could have told them not to do blood sacrifices but he seemed okay with it.

As for "who else will you hope in?" though I do believe in God, don't people of other religions or no religion find hope in their lives as well?

that the smell of burning flesh is pleasing to God

Your words are an exact quote from an atheist website, i just googled it. Are you an atheist in disguise perhaps?

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Your words are an exact quote from an atheist website, i just googled it. Are you an atheist in disguise perhaps?

No, I was paraphrasing the gist of Numbers 29:36 and I didn't know I apparently worded it the same way as an atheist website.

Why is it that people automatically say "Atheist in disguise!" when someone is too questioning for their liking? Why avoid and fear questions? Why discourage them? Why guilt-trip people who ask questions and have inquiring minds? The more questions are discouraged the more likely the group discouraging it isn't entirely truthful. We can't just accept things without looking into them.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
No, I was paraphrasing the gist of Numbers 29:36 and I didn't know I apparently worded it the same way as an atheist website.

Why is it that people automatically say "Atheist in disguise!" When someone is too questioning for their liking? Why avoid and fear questions? Why discourage them? Why guilt-trip people who ask questions and have inquiring minds? The more questions are discouraged the more likely the group discouraging it isn't entirely truthful. We can't just accept things without looking into them.

Exactly.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But isn't it said in the Bible at least at one point that there was a pantheon of gods? Weren't the Israelites at one point henotheistic (saying many gods exist but worshipping only one)? Why would God be "jealous" if no other gods actually existed? That would spur just thinking the humans are misguided (concerning worshipping something that doesn't exist in any way), not wrathful jealousy (as one might expect if there were actually other gods to worship)

Paul deals with this in 1 Corinthians 10:14-22 rather clearly. Of course there are no other actual gods. Paul says, "Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons." So, no, there are no other gods, but that doesn't mean there is nothing else real to worship (like demons, which are very real). God is not jealous of nothing. Furthermore, we should not think of God's jealousy as human jealousy, which is motivated by greed and malice. Rather, God's jealousy is for the affection of his people. This jealousy is invoked when his people betray him and prostitute themselves to anything else—god, demon, angel, or otherwise.

Upvote 0