The Nature of Envy - Are envy and longing the same thing?

Sune

Oct 13, 2020
Australia
✟28,117.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I have wondered on this of late. For instance, if a friend has found a good spouse or promotion etc. and you were to say "Oh how lucky, I wish I could experience that." would you say this is still envy if the bitterness is absent? When it is just the wish you would experience good fortune as well? Or if someone received a new car and you rejoice with them while wishing you could do the same (but without bitterness)?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have wondered on this of late. For instance, if a friend has found a good spouse or promotion etc. and you were to say "Oh how lucky, I wish I could experience that." would you say this is still envy if the bitterness is absent? When it is just the wish you would experience good fortune as well? Or if someone received a new car and you rejoice with them while wishing you could do the same (but without bitterness)?
I would say no, envy in not in the words, it is in the heart.

Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Apparently envy killeth the silly one, so it's really only a big deal if you die from doing something silly.

That's not the full story though.

Though bitterness and envy are used in the same sentence in an instructive passage in James Chapter 3, they don't always go hand in hand. With envy, the heart issue is usually covetousness. If you think it's cool someone has something and you would like to have the same thing for yourself, this is not envy. It is envy when you want to take what the other person has along with that sentiment.

Ahab when he had a person killed (through Jezebel) and then took possession is a solid example of envy in action.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sune
Upvote 0