Hidden
✟24,418.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am pretty new to Christianity. I think Gods two biggest names is Almighty and Love. Is there a list of Gods names. What does Jesus Christ mean?
the name 'Christ' comes from the Hebrew 'Khristós' which is the same as the greek Mashiach (Messiah), both meaning covered in oil :)

• Agree
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

LinaBellus

He must increase, but I must decrease.
Feb 26, 2013
Hidden
✟24,418.00
Country
Mexico
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what Jesus means but I know it originates from Yeshua and I think it means something like 'saving God'
I am pretty new to Christianity. I think Gods two biggest names is Almighty and Love. Is there a list of Gods names. What does Jesus Christ mean?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF, and welcome to TT!

This is a wonderful inquiry - looking into the meaning of the names of God. There are in fact MANY names, and such a study could become very deep and meaningful.

Christ might be more meaningful translated as "Anointed One" ... which does refer to him being the Messiah. Jesus is the way we speak the name spelled something like "Yeshua" which means something like "God is Salvation" or "God Saves" or "Salvation (is) of God"

As far as the "main names" ... well, you'd surely get different answers. I would imagine "Yah" or "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" would likely make the list, as would "I am". I am not aware offhand of a designation of a name for God that is "love" but of course we know from Scripture that God IS love (Agape). Many of the names of God have particular meaning within the context in which they are mentioned in Scripture. But really, this is a very indepth and rich thing. :)

I hope this helps just a little. I did want to welcome you to CF, and to TT. I pray that you are blessed by being here. A thread developing into a study of the names of God could be a very edifying effort, and this would be a good place for it. :)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Not to be disagreeable, but all three of the Trinity are mentioned in connection with Creation, though the Father is the Source of the Trinity.

But more importantly, if we separate "God" from "Jesus" that can seem to imply that Jesus Christ is merely a man, and not God in the flesh, and that would not be true. Jesus Christ IS God, just as God the Father is God.

Perhaps that wasn't what you meant to imply though. I just wanted to clarify the basics for anyone reading.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's worth noting that Jesus Christ isn't really a name. Jesus is a name (the English version of his first name), but Christ is a title, which depending upon context can be "king" or "messiah." So Jesus Christ is really Jesus the Christ, i.e. "Jesus the King."

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
There are a multitude of names, titles, and terms used to speak of God found throughout the Bible.

One of the most basic is elohim, a Hebrew words that technically is the plural form of the word el; and thus can be translated as "gods" or more literally "mighty ones"--however when the Old Testament uses elohim to refer to the one true God it uses the singular verb tense indicating that "elohim" doesn't refer to "gods" but rather the one God of Israel. By extension God is given many epithets that use "el" such as El Shaddai (God Almighty) and El Elyon (God Most High). And many biblical names include "el" such as Samuel, and Ezekiel, Samuel meaning "God has heard" and Ezekiel meaning "God strengthens".

The most important name in the Hebrew Scriptures is what is known as the Tetragrammaton (that's just a fancy way of saying "the four letters") referring to the four Hebrew letters of Yod, Hah, Vav, and Hah (Hebrew has no vowels, only consonants), which usually looks like YHVH or YHWH when using Latin letters. You'll often see this name written as Yahweh, and in the past "Jehovah" which was a mistake some medieval scribes made (that's a longer story for another time). The thing is, we don't actually know how this name was pronounced, but it is considered God's "proper" name in the Old Testament; the reason we don't know how to pronounce it is that the Jews considered the name of God to be absolutely holy, and as a sign of reverence turned to using alternatives such as the Hebrew words adonai meaning "lord", when the Old Testament was translated into Greek as the Septuagint this became the Greek word kurios, also meaning "lord" and also when the New Testament quotes the Old, it quotes the Septuagint and thus kurios, or "lord"--and is also the basis for rendering YHVH in English as "the LORD" in all caps in English Bibles. Since the pronunciation wasn't preserved with the destruction of the Temple (tradition has it only the Jewish high priest could utter the Divine Name in the inner sanctuary of the Temple) in the year 70 AD, the pronunciation has been effectively lost. So "Yahweh" is an approximation by modern scholars.

As mentioned Adonai "lord" or "master" is used in the Old Testament as a term for God, but it isn't unique to God, depending on context "my adonai" is something a woman could say when referring to her husband, or a slave about his master.

Like el/elohim, there are compounds that use YHVH or otherwise refer to it. On case is the use of "Yah" as a seeming shorthand for YHVH in some of the Psalms, this form can be seen in the English word, based on Hebrew, hallelujah, literally, "praise Yah!" also retained in English through Latin/Greek as alleluia.

Concerning Jesus, as mentioned there is a Hebrew name Yeshua, the older form being Yehoshua. The biblical Joshua son of Nun, the successor of Moses, is "Yehoshua", the high priest Jeshua in the book of Zechariah is "Yeshua" it's the same name actually. The Jews in Jesus' time didn't speak Hebrew except as part of religious services and rites, they spoke Aramaic, a language related to both Hebrew and Arabic but different from both. I've come across several approximations for how Jesus' name would have been pronounced in the Aramaic of his time, for example Eesa, Eeshoa, but I'm hardly an expert and don't really know. But in any event when written using Greek letters every form of this common Jewish name was written as Ἰησοῦς (Iesous), and from Ἰησοῦς this enters Latin as Iesus and later Jesus. The name means "YHVH/Yah will save" or "YHVH/Yah saves". Hence a fitting name for the Messiah and Savior of the world.

Also, it was mentioned already, but "Christ" isn't a name, it's a title. More literally it is "Jesus the Christ". The word "Christ" ultimately comes from the Greek christos, meaning "oily one" or "anointed one" referring to the act of applying oil to a thing as an act of consecration; it is a direct translation of the Hebrew word meshiach (in English "messiah") meaning the same. So "Jesus Christ" means "Jesus the Christ" or "Jesus the Messiah". Because as Christians we believe Jesus is the long-awaited for Messiah, the one whom God would send to rescue and redeem the world, toward which the prophets of Israel pointed to and anticipated, and in Christian teaching who fulfills all God's promises beginning with God's promises to Adam and Eve, to Abraham, to Israel, and to David: Jesus is God's ultimate and final yes to every promise and covenant He made. All of which pointed to the coming of Jesus as the climax of all human history--and not just human history, but the history of the entire universe. Jesus is the center of history and the cosmos.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

You ask an excellent question and have been given some excellent replies. So my answer is more of a recapitulation of the above and an item or two I don't think has been mentioned.

There is a difference between a 'name' and a 'title'. This was probably less important a distinction in ancient Hebrew and some other languages when people had the idea that words and names had 'power' apart from the entity bearing the name.

In your initial message, "Almighty" is typically used as an adjective, a 'describer' of God, rather than a name. "Love" is similar, and more describes the nature of God than identify Him as such. The construction "The Almighty" with the definite article in English is very limited, and generally meant as God himself. I am not aware of anyone (or group) using "Love" as a name, but only in the phrase "God is Love", signifying His attitude. Simultaneously, one can also say "God is Justice" and "God is Truth" in the same use.

There are a number of 'lists' of the names of God. I'm not sure any of those lists really mean anything. There's a story by Arthur C. Clarke called The Nine Billion Names of God. It is not a Bible oriented, Christian source. Frankly, I don't think God pays much attention to the idea of "His Name" in the sense of learning something secret giving one an advantage over others.

Again, a usage from older times and older languages, the well-known concept of praying in Jesus' Name is not predicated on a 'magic' formula or incantation which empowers our prayer in a way not done without that 'magic incantation'. Praying in Jesus' Name implies one is speaking to God AS Jesus, based on accepting Jesus as Savior and 'living in Him'. (This from what I mentioned above about names having power. However, it is real and seems less than it is due to the difficulty of translating ideas or concepts along with words.)

"Jesus Christ" has been covered. I will only add Jesus Himself in Earthly life would have been referred to as "Jesus Bar-Joseph" which literally means "Jesus, son of Joseph". This distinguished Him from "Jesus, son of Fred" and not without notice, "Jesus Bar Abbas", known popularly as "Barabbas".

"Christ" is the Greek word equivalent of the Hebrew word "Messiah". As mentioned already, it means "annointed" or "the annointed one" in some contexts. The ancient Hebrew custom was to pour oil on the selected person's head, which was 'annointing'. From usage, it can also refer to and be understood as "the Promised One" - who the prophets said would come and free Israel.

Depending on your age and level of interest, some study in the languages of the Bible (ancient Hebrew and Koine Greek) can be very instructive and illuminating.

One last thing. The Hebrew term transliterated 'Elohim' is a plural form. But when identifying the Sole Creator God of the Hebrews, it doesn't mean 'more than one god'. It is indicative of the Majesty of Almighty God, similar to, but not identical, with the plural use of 'we' (in formal speech) by the kings and queens of England and other countries.

Upvote 0

Lord Kyrios

Oct 29, 2016
USA
✟15,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, and welcome to CF, and welcome to TT!

This is a wonderful inquiry - looking into the meaning of the names of God. There are in fact MANY names, and such a study could become very deep and meaningful.

Christ might be more meaningful translated as "Anointed One" ... which does refer to him being the Messiah. Jesus is the way we speak the name spelled something like "Yeshua" which means something like "God is Salvation" or "God Saves" or "Salvation (is) of God"

As far as the "main names" ... well, you'd surely get different answers. I would imagine "Yah" or "Yahweh" or "Jehovah" would likely make the list, as would "I am". I am not aware offhand of a designation of a name for God that is "love" but of course we know from Scripture that God IS love (Agape). Many of the names of God have particular meaning within the context in which they are mentioned in Scripture. But really, this is a very indepth and rich thing. :)

I hope this helps just a little. I did want to welcome you to CF, and to TT. I pray that you are blessed by being here. A thread developing into a study of the names of God could be a very edifying effort, and this would be a good place for it. :)
Jesus Is called Kupios & God Is called Kupios In The Greek Bible. Every Title that applies to God, also applies to Jesus in the Greek.
Example: Jesus is Kupie, Kupiw, Kupiou and God is Kupie, Kupiw, Kupiou. Jesus is God Because His Father is God.
In other words, Your Son inherited your last name so why cannot Jesus be called by His Father's Name, GOD?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Jesus Is called Kupios & God Is called Kupios In The Greek Bible. Every Title that applies to God, also applies to Jesus in the Greek.
Example: Jesus is Kupie, Kupiw, Kupiou and God is Kupie, Kupiw, Kupiou. Jesus is God Because His Father is God.
In other words, Your Son inherited your last name so why cannot Jesus be called by His Father's Name, GOD?

Hello, LK, and welcome to CF. :) We are glad that you've joined us.

As I'm sure you are aware, the Greek κύριος translates as "Lord" so it is appropriate for Christ Jesus, and even for God the Father.

It is not really a proper name though. In fact, in modern Greek, a male stranger can be greeted in the same way (there is a very similar feminine form as well).

And it is true that many titles can be properly shared among the Persons of the Trinity (though perhaps not all).

I'm not sure if I'm addressing your post - if I'm not, or you wish to say more, please feel free.

But I did also want to welcome you. I pray you are blessed by being here, and please let us know if we can help you find your way around the forums. :)

God bless you!

Upvote 0

Lord Kyrios

Oct 29, 2016
USA
✟15,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, It is always nice to share the Jesus with others. Now, the reason why I chose to used the Greek words is the fact that when you as for example witnessing to a Jehovah Witness, you can show them from their own Kingdom Interlinear Greek Scriptures that EVERY Title that is applies to Jehovah also applies to Jesus, therefore Jesus is God. They cannot dispute there own Greek Bible. In fact if you use Kupiw in there own Greek Scriptures Acts 20:32 they called Kupiw GOD. So, Kupiw is called Jesus, Kupiw is called Jehovah. Jesus is God in there own Greek Bible and they cannot dispute this fact period.

Upvote 0

Lord Kyrios

Oct 29, 2016
USA
✟15,423.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets us use for example Revelation 1:8 as it clearly shows that when you apply "the Lord" g2962 κύριος kyrios, this changes the Title to Deity. A human cannot a male stranger can be greeted in the same way. Jesus is "Ho Kyrios" just like he is "Ho Theos" in Matthew 1:23. Any way a person really look at the Scripture with open mind, they will see that Jesus is God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't thought in terms of Jehovah's Witnesses. I do speak to people of many denominations, but have not had opportunity to discuss with Jehovah's Witnesses in detail. Indeed, they DO need to be shown that Christ is Himself God ...

I attend a Greek Church, and we use about half Greek and half English in our Liturgy, and many in our Church speak only Greek. So there are many things I very much appreciate about the Greek in the Scriptures and our hymns. :)

Reactions: All4Christ
Upvote 0

Yahu_

Nov 16, 2016
Atlanta, Ga
✟18,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
There are a multitude of names, titles, and terms used to speak of God found throughout the Bible.

One of the most basic is elohim, a Hebrew words that technically is the plural form of the word el; and thus can be translated as "gods" or more literally "mighty ones"--however when the Old Testament uses elohim to refer to the one true God it uses the singular verb tense indicating that "elohim" doesn't refer to "gods" but rather the one God of Israel. By extension God is given many epithets that use "el" such as El Shaddai (God Almighty) and El Elyon (God Most High). And many biblical names include "el" such as Samuel, and Ezekiel, Samuel meaning "God has heard" and Ezekiel meaning "God strengthens".
English as "the LORD" in all caps in English Bibles. Since the pronunciation wasn't preserved with the destruction of the Temple (tradition has it only the Jewish high priest could utter the Divine Name in the inner sanctuary of the Temple) in the year 70 AD, the pronunciation has been effectively lost. So "Yahweh" is an approximation by modern scholars.

-CryptoLutheran
I agree with most of your post but would like to point a few things out. Elohyim is plural of Elowah, not El according to my Hebrew professor for example.

El also means 'mighty' but when used by itself it is implied as 'the mighty [one]'. If you go back to the Paleo-hebrew it is 'strength and authority' and has to be taken from the context of who is being spoken of as El. It some cases El is translated as just the word 'mighty' in places.

In the Canaanite religion, El and Asherah were the 'source of waters' (people) and the parents of the 70 lesser gods. In that case El is a reference to Noah and the 70 nations of mankind with each nation having an El, founding father. El even in scripture can be a reference to Noah as Yah's representative on earth as the 'father of the nations'. So if the El is a reference to the national ELs, El Elyon or 'mightiest of the mighty' can also be a reference to Noah as well IF the context is the assembly of national ELs.

Det 32:8 When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel.

The above verse is disputed and other codexes say 'children of El', not Israel. In this case it is a reference to the dividing of the 70 nations, the sons/grandsons/great-grandsons of Noah. It can very easily be seen as El Elyon could either be a reference to Noah or Yah as 'most high' or that the 'sons of El' can be a reference to Noah.

Another example is:
1 God (Elohyim singular) stands in the congregation of the mighty (El); he judges among the gods (Elohyim plural).
2 How long will you judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
3 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
5 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
6 I have said, You are gods (Elohyim plural); and all of you are children of the most High (Elyon).

You have to be very careful of the context in translating El as 'God'. That knowledge provides alternate translations of many things in scripture. For example, the name Elijah is often translated a 'God is Yah' but it is more likely EliYahu is 'mighty in Yah is he'. Another example is 'Bethel' being translated as 'house of God' when it very likely was 'Noah's house'.

Now El can also be a reference to 'the God of Noah' as the god of the flood and god of the covenant (El Berith) with Noah.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

Those are descriptions of him not his name.
Jahve, Elohim are the ones most frequently used in the
Pentateuch.

Jesus is Christ, reedemer, savior and king.
This is all titles however and not his names.
I guess one could say Christ is his name though.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
in the Old Testament, they used a special oil when anointing the high priest or prophets and even kings, they basically just poured the oil on their heads, it meant that they were set apart to God and that they were holy
Anointing is also generally symbolic of the approval of the Holy Spirit. It's interesting how in John's Gospel the Spirit and the Son act in unison.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Jesus (Ἰησοῦς) = Joshua = Yeshua which means God saves
Christ (Χριστός) = Messiah = Meshiakh which essentially is "Anointed one"

ETA: Apparently I missed a lot of responses that already covered this :)

Upvote 0