CelineDion

Jul 28, 2004
America
✟10,205.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I dont agreew with that point of view. I believe it keeps us seperated from him when we should be intimate with him, the lover of our souls. The viel is ripped, so im sure its okay to spell Gods name without a -. Not that there is anything wrong with it if you do choose to do it but IMO its a little outdated...just IMO.

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
celine I don't understand what you are disagreeing with. It is a matter of respecting the L-RD, that he is above all and is Holy and should be treated as such. The veil has nothing to do with it, that was making a way for us to go directly to him without the mediator of man with sacrifice, rather to go to him with the sacrifice of a repentance heart through his Messiah Yeshua. This doesn't in any way take the reverence that we should have for him away. There are many that treat him too casually, yes he is closer to man because of the sacrifice and covering of Yeshua, but he is still G-d and Holy and the creator and King of the universe and should be revered as such, now more than ever because of what he did for us, he held nothing back from us, showed us true love.

Upvote 0

Sephania

Jan 7, 2004
✟16,387.00
cweb255 said:
that still doesn't explain the - in the English rendering of the Lord's name.
If you have a KJV bible, look at 3:15 Exodus, that is not what it says in Hebrew, they have substituted "the Name" with the "L-RD G-d" thus in this substitution we know that it means the one true G-d and his name thereby we repect that. You will also notice it spelled as L-rd. When substituted as Adonai it is a meaning of the sovereign King of the universe.

I hope I explained that clearly.

Upvote 0

Bon

Truth Seeker
Jul 26, 2004
✟17,259.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Please, let me begin my post by telling you that I mean no disrespect to those of you who do not pronounce His name.

What I don't understand is that "God" is not His name.

It's a title and there are other gods......Yahweh tells us this in scripture.

Other gods, but not THE God. It's a title.

His name is "Yodh He Waw He", YHWH, and was spoken freely during the times of the prophets etc.

It was and is the "traditions of men" that rendered it disrespectful to pronounce His name.

But Yahweh tells us differently in His word.

Isaiah 52
6Therefore My people shall know My name;
Therefore they shall know in that day
That I am He who speaks:
"Behold, it is I."'

Jeremiah 16
21"Therefore behold, I will this once cause them to know,
I will cause them to know
My hand and My might;
And they shall know that My name is YHWH.

Micah 4
5For all people walk each in the name of his god,
But we will walk in the name of YHWH our God
Forever and ever.

Joel 2
26You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied,
And praise the name of YHWH your God,
Who has dealt wondrously with you;
And My people shall never be put to shame.

Jeremiah 23
26How long will this be in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies? Indeed they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart, 27who try to make My people forget My name by their dreams which everyone tells his neighbor,...

Here is some information for anyone interested.
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/2/Judaism/name/

Shalom and respect from Bon

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
I leave the 'o' out of L-RD & G-D...because to many people, there are their lords and their gods...and I see many people worshipping others gods that isn't the same G-D that I worship...

that is the G-D of Avraham, the G-D of Yitzkhak, and the G-D of Ya'acov...just like the "Shema Yisra'el" reminds us there is only one G-D...

also it is because of my great awe, love, fear, respect, honor, etc. that I leave it out...

because G-D is my G-D, my King, my Parent, my Redeemer, my Friend, my Healer, and also my Lover....I hope that answers it...???

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Taken from "http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm"

"The Name of G-d “

Please note: This page contains the Name of G-d. If you print it out, please treat it with appropriate respect.

The Significance of Names

In Jewish thought, a name is not merely an arbitrary designation, a random combination of sounds. The name conveys the nature and essence of the thing named. It represents the history and reputation of the being named.

This is not as strange or unfamiliar a concept as it may seem at first glance. In English, we often refer to a person's reputation as his "good name." When a company is sold, one thing that may be sold is the company's "good will," that is, the right to use the company's name. The Hebrew concept of a name is very similar to these ideas.

An example of this usage occurs in Ex. 3:13-22: Moses asks G-d what His "name" is. Moses is not asking, "what should I call you;" rather, he is asking "who are you; what are you like; what have you done." That is clear from G-d's response. G-d replies that He is eternal, that He is the G-d of our ancestors, that He has seen our affliction and will redeem us from bondage.

Another example of this usage is the concepts of chillul Ha-Shem and kiddush Ha-Shem. An act that causes G-d or Judaism to come into disrespect or a commandment to be disobeyed is often referred to as "chillul Ha-Shem," profanation of The Name. Clearly, we are not talking about a harm done to a word; we are talking about harm to a reputation. Likewise, any deed that increases the respect accorded to G-d or Judaism is referred to as "kiddush Ha-Shem," sanctification of The Name.

Because a name represents the reputation of the thing named, a name should be treated with the same respect as the thing's reputation. For this reason, G-d's Names, in all of their forms, are treated with enormous respect and reverence in Judaism.

The Names of G-d

I have often heard people refer to the Judeo-Christian G-d as "the nameless G-d" to contrast our G-d with the ancient pagan gods. I always found this odd, because Judaism clearly recognizes the existence of a Name for G-d; in fact, we have many Names for

G-d.

The most important of G-d's Names is the four-letter Name represented by the Hebrew letters Yod-Heh-Vav-Heh (YHVH). It is often referred to as the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name or the Distinctive Name. Linguistically, it is related to the Hebrew root Heh-Yod-Heh (to be), and reflects the fact that G-d's existence is eternal. In scripture, this Name is used when discussing G-d's relation with human beings, and when emphasizing his qualities of lovingkindness and mercy. It is frequently shortened to Yah (Yod-Heh), Yahu or Yeho (Yod-Heh-Vav), especially when used in combination with names or phrases, as in Yehoshua (Joshua, meaning "the L-rd is my Salvation"), Eliyahu (Elijah, meaning "my G-d is the L-rd"), and Halleluyah ("praise the L-rd").

The first Name used for G-d in scripture is Elohim. In form, the word is a masculine plural of a word that looks feminine in the singular (Eloha). The same word (or, according to Rambam, a homonym of it) is used to refer to princes, judges, other gods, and other powerful beings. This Name is used in scripture when emphasizing G-d's might, His creative power, and his attributes of justice and rulership. Variations on this name include El, Eloha, Elohai (my G-d) and Elohaynu (our G-d).

G-d is also known as El Shaddai. This Name is usually translated as "G-d Almighty," however, the derivation of the word "Shaddai" is not known. According to some views, it is derived from the root meaning "to heap benefits." According a Midrash, it means, "The One who said 'dai'" ("dai" meaning enough or sufficient) and comes from the fact that when G-d created the universe, it expanded until He said "DAI!" (perhaps the first recorded theory of an expanding universe?). The name Shaddai is the one written on the mezuzah scroll. Some note that Shaddai is an acronym of Shomer Daltot Yisrael, Guardian of the Doors of Israel.

Another significant Name of G-d is YHVH Tzva'ot. This Name is normally translated as "L-rd of Hosts." The word "tzva'ot" means "hosts" in the sense of a military grouping or an organized array. The Name refers to G-d's leadership and sovereignty. Interestingly, this Name is rarely used in scripture. It never appears in the Torah (i.e., the first five books). It appears primarily in the prophetic books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Haggai, Zechariah and Malachi, as well as many times in the Psalms.

Writing the Name of G-d

Jews do not casually write any Name of G-d. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the L-rd's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by G-d's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").

Judaism does not prohibit writing the Name of G-d per se; it prohibits only erasing or defacing a Name of G-d. However, observant Jews avoid writing any Name of G-d casually because of the risk that the written Name might later be defaced, obliterated or destroyed accidentally or by one who does not know better.

The commandment not to erase or deface the name of G-d comes from Deut. 12:3. In that passage, the people are commanded that when they take over the promised land, they should destroy all things related to the idolatrous religions of that region, and should utterly destroy the names of the local deities. Immediately afterwards, we are commanded not to do the same to our G-d. From this, the rabbis inferred that we are commanded not to destroy any holy thing, and not to erase or deface a Name of G-d.

It is worth noting that this prohibition against erasing or defacing Names of G-d applies only to Names that are written in some kind of permanent form, and recent rabbinical decisions have held that writing on a computer is not a permanent form, thus it is not a violation to type G-d's Name into a computer and then backspace over it or cut and paste it, or copy and delete files with G-d's Name in them. However, once you print the document out, it becomes a permanent form. That is why observant Jews avoid writing a Name of G-d on web sites like this one or in newsgroup messages: because there is a risk that someone else will print it out and deface it.

Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "G-d." In addition, the number 15, which would ordinarily be written in Hebrew as Yod-Heh (10-5), is normally written as Tet-Vav (9-6), because Yod-Heh is a Name. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about using letters as numerals.

Pronouncing the Name of G-d

Nothing in the Torah prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of G-d. Indeed, it is evident from scripture that G-d's Name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain "Yah" or "Yahu," part of G-d's four-letter Name. The Name was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

The Mishnah confirms that there was no prohibition against pronouncing The Name in ancient times. In fact, the Mishnah recommends using G-d's Name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot 9:5. However, by the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute Names for G-d. Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHVH according to its letters (instead of using a substitute) has no place in the World to Come, and should be put to death. Instead of pronouncing the four-letter Name, we usually substitute the Name "Adonai," or simply say "Ha-Shem" (lit. The Name).

Although the prohibition on pronunciation applies only to the four-letter Name, Jews customarily do not pronounce any of G-d's many Names except in prayer or study. The usual practice is to substitute letters or syllables, so that Adonai becomes Adoshem or Ha-Shem, Elohaynu and Elohim become Elokaynu and Elokim, etc.

With the Temple destroyed and the prohibition on pronouncing The Name outside of the Temple, pronunciation of the Name fell into disuse. Scholars passed down knowledge of the correct pronunciation of YHVH for many generations, but eventually the correct pronunciation was lost, and we no longer know it with any certainty. We do not know what vowels were used, or even whether the Vav in the Name was a vowel or a consonant. See Hebrew Alphabet for more information about the difficulties in pronouncing Hebrew. Some religious scholars suggest that the Name was pronounced "Yahweh," but others do not find this pronunciation particularly persuasive.

Some people render the four-letter Name as "Jehovah," but this pronunciation is particularly unlikely. The word "Jehovah" comes from the fact that ancient Jewish texts used to put the vowels of the Name "Adonai" (the usual substitute for YHVH) under the consonants of YHVH to remind people not to pronounce YHVH as written. A sixteenth century German Christian scribe, while transliterating the Bible into Latin for the Pope, wrote the Name out as it appeared in his texts, with the consonants of YHVH and the vowels of Adonai, and came up with the word JeHoVaH, and the name stuck."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CelineDion

Jul 28, 2004
America
✟10,205.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
For example if i respect you Henayei(yes i realize none uf us can be close to being as awesome as God and am not saying that j ust an example) should i spell your name Hn-yei...no because that really doesnt mean much. The truth is if we worship, and love Yahweh the way we write his name doesnt matter. I mean in the grand scheme of things will it change the world any and the answer is emphatically no. You see Yahweh is truly respected when we live for him , and worship him etc...thats true honor and respect.

Upvote 0

ShirChadash

A Jew, by the grace and love of God. Come home!
Oct 31, 2003
Visit site
✟22,943.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
cweb255 said:
Exactly my point!

1: This is writing the name, which IIRC was not forbidden as opposed to speaking the name.

2: It's not even his name!

Coming out of lurkdom to respectfully ask:

Why are some of you folks arguing? You asked why Messianics and Jews do something. And you were given answers.

Whether it is Y.H.V.H's Personal Name or not, I have to ask you, to Whom are YOU referring when you say and/or write "God"? Is "God" not a name you use to refer to Y.H.V.H./HaShem? Frankly, most people *DO* behave as though "God" is His very Name, in your average everyday conversation. I would posit that most people don't consider "Healer" and "Savior" and "King" and "Creator" to be HaSHem's personal name but rather aspects of Who He is.

Yet "God" is generally considered and used by most as a title for "God" AND ALSO as His actual *Who He Is* reference -- often "God" is the only name people use to refer to Him at all. And "Lord" is often used for Yeshua the same way.

Does it disrespect "God" if a name you (in general) use in referring to Him is treated casually by anyone, or may be without you even knowing it is happening? Do you really object that *some* Messianics and Jews are aware of this possiblity and don't want to see His name, or a name referring to Him at all, blotted out/deleted, printed off on a page of paper that you might, just for example, spill coffee on and then crumple and throw away in the garbage?

Judge for yourself; but don't presume to judge Messianics and Jews for being more concerned about this possible disrespect than you may be at this time.

Shalom, and back to shushing I go.

Upvote 0

cweb255

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
✟624.00
Faith
Atheist
No, God is the generic name for a deity, like El. It would be perfectly ok to say "Eli!" or "Adonai!" but never "YHWH" - the latter would be blasphemous. If the name El was on a scroll, they could discard it, but if the name YHWH was on a scroll, they had to lay it to rest in a Genizah. So once again, you don't make any sense. Why G-d?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.