San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Some are saying, "So what?" What is the point of these studies? There are a number of points as to why I am posting these teachings.
First, teaching and doctrines in the N.T. are not "new" teachings for Gentiles. That most of what you read in the N.T. was already taught in the O.T. The N.T. doctrines do not have a Gentile meaning, as these doctrines are presented from a Gentile perspective, based on the English language, Gentile philosophy, Western thought, and Gentile culture. In 95% of the teaching, this is totally separated from and mostly ignores the original intent that was taught to the O.T. Jews. This results in a Gentile misunderstanding of the doctrines and they are falsely taught with a Gentile slant.
Second, the doctrines must be studied as they are presented in the O.T. and what they meant to the original recipients of the doctrines, based on the Jewish culture and the Theology found in the O.T. It is only through this method that one can know the true meaning of a doctrine or teaching in the N.T. I promise that if people just studied the N.T. doctrines found in the O.T. and compared the O.T. meaning of the doctrine to the Gentile slant of what is taught these days, they will benefit in two ways, one, they will learn the original meaning of the doctrines. This in turn will not only change the way they perceive and understand the N.T., but they will also finally comprehend the N.T. and see that is a repetition of the O.T. and understand that the N.T. is as much Jewish as the O.T.
Third, they will be able to recognize false teaching when they hear it. By neglecting this, the modern-day Pharisees, otherwise known as pastors and priests present false teaching.

We all know that Solomon wrote, "there is nothing new under the sun," Ecc 1:9. Before he made that statement, he first said," What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done." He continued in Vs 10, " Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, is this new"? It has already been in the ages before us." One of those things that have been around since the O.T. days is that most of those "Religious Leaders," the public accepts as reputable, held in high esteem, and considered to be very knowledgeable about Scripture, are actually false teachers. This was going on in the days of Jesus, just as it continues on until our days. The public, due to their lack of Scripture knowledge, wrongly assume that because these "Religious Leaders" are acknowledged as such, they must know Scripture and that when they "taught" Scripture, "Well if they say it, it must be true." Which is still going on today. Because their "pastor" went to seminary or bible college and obtained a "degree", anything they say "must be true"!
We see two perfect examples of what is going on today from the words of Jesus. In those days, in Judea, centered around Jerusalem, the two biggest groups of false teachers were the scribes and the Pharisees. When Jesus says, "You have heard that..." what he meant was, "You have heard the scribes and Pharisees say..."
Mat 5:38, "You have heard it said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth." This phrase is found in Ex 21:24, Lev 24:20, and Deut 19:21. The O.T. meaning of this was punishment for a crime or payment for wrongdoing was to equal the offense, not to mete out excessive punishment or repayment for restitution. If a man accidentally killed or caused the death of another man's ox, under God's law, he was only required to replace the ox.
All of the Jews in the days of Jesus were familiar with the phrase, yet the Pharisees had changed the original meaning of what God commanded into teaching that it was okay and expected that if wronged, a Jew could exact revenge on the offender and there was no limit to the revenge. (In reality, the Pharisees corrupted two of God's commands, In Deut 32:35, God said, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay.") In Mat 5:39-42, Jesus teaches how believers are to respond when others do them wrong, along with not getting revenge. So as then and today, those, (whose bible knowledge is extremely limited or nonexistent), who listen to acceptable and reputable "religious leaders, teachers" for their bible teaching, say, "Well, the teachers said it, so it must be true."
So I ask you, was it wrong for the Pharisees to teach Scripture in a false way? Of course, especially in the light of God's command to not add to or take away from His word which results in man changing God's word. On top of that, believers are commanded not to lie. A false teacher is a LIAR! What are the repercussions of people hearing and believing a false teacher? Does false teaching bother you? If you found out your favorite pastor was a false teacher, would you stop listening and warn others? Would you stop attending the building where the lying false teaching pastor spills out his lies? A false teacher does not only teach one lie, many of the other things he "teaches" are also lies.
Two other points here. Do believers today still follow what Jesus said here? Of course. Who was Jesus teaching here? The Jews. "To the Jew first," Rom 1:16. Second, in the N.T., in Rom 12:19 Paul writes, "Dearly beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath: for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay." Hmm, was this Paul giving a "new" doctrine, a doctrine for Gentile believers? Or was Paul reaching back into the O.T., Deut 32:35, to instruct both Jewish and Gentile believers? Thus, the doctrine that believers are "not to seek vengeance" was not a "new" doctrine first taught in the N.T. Paul was merely repeating what was originally commanded by God in the O.T., as originally taught to the O.T. Jews.
Mat 5:43, "You have heard it said, 'You will love your neighbor and hate your enemy." There is no verse in the O.T. that commands believers to "hate their enemy." There is a command to "love your neighbor," Deut 19:18. Once again, another example of false teachers "twisting" Scripture, 2Pet 3:16, Acts 20:30, "Also of your own selves shall men arise, teaching distorted (to turn aside from the right path, to pervert, corrupt) things to draw away disciples after themselves." (This is still going on.)
According to the Pharisees, "your neighbor" was any fellow Jew. An enemy was any and all Gentiles. The Pharisees totally ignored Ex 12:48. Check this out, Ex 12:49, One Torah, (law, teaching) will be for the one who is native to the land, (Jews), and for the stranger (Gentile who chooses to follow God) who lives among you. Hmm, in the O.T., the Gentile proselyte was also under the Law.
In the four Gospels, the Pharisees were false teachers. Yet I have yet to hear even one pastor ever say that the Pharisees were false teachers! Why is that? The worst you will hear about the Pharisees is either they were strict legalists, ultra-orthodox, or very conservative.
What is one of the least taught biblical topics? False teachers! You will hear many "sermons" about marriage, raising kids, giving money, praying, etc., but very little or nothing at all about false teachers. Again, why is that? Jesus, Paul, John, Peter, and Jude all spoke about false teachers! If it was important enough to teach about false teachers/teaching in Scripture, isn't it important enough to teach about it from the pulpit?
to be continued

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe the basic daily way of life by keeping the commandments is the same in both covenants. Solomon says to fear the Lord & keep His commandments ( Ecclesiastes 12:13-14). I believe what Ezekiel states in Ezekiel 18 about keeping the commandments says we are to do good, treat others accordingly etc. & that we may stumble & fail. In fact, it seems that what is said in the 18th chapter of Ezekiel is in some way praying for a fuller answer of completion. That completion we find in Romans 10:1-13 ( the familiar crux being verses 9-13 in confession of Jesus Christ as Lord & Savior). I believe the Lord affirms what the prophets said( like Ezekiel as my example) remain for us to live by when He says he fulfills the law ( Matthew 5:17-19).

A basic confirmation of observation of the commandments ( I believe) can be found in comparing what the Lord told the rich young man ( Matthew 19:16-19) & what St. Paul basically repeats in Romans 13:8-10.

Circumcision seems to have been the issue that had ( & indirectly still) lead to much misunderstanding of salvation by grace lived out by good works ( Ephesians 2:8-10). How else can the Lord’s commandments ( Matthew 22:36-40 etc.) be observed ( John 14:15-18). St. Paul preached extensively on the problem circumcision presented ( Romans 2:25-29, Romans 3). All of the Apostles dealt with circumcision in Acts of the Apostles 15. St. Paul teaches the example of the finished product of the law fulfilled, walking in the spirit etc. in Galatians 5.

It is my understanding that over the centuries, the original problem that circumcision represented towards salvation by grace was often neglected & forgotten. Forgetting the original problem of circumcision lead to later damaging misunderstanding of the role of works & keeping the commandments in salvation by grace ( I think).

My only question I might have with the view that the Pharisees were deceivers, as opposed to being too self righteous, is what does the Lord then mean when He says our righteousness must exceed that of the Pharisees ( Matthew 5:20)?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some are saying, "So what?" What is the point of these studies? There are a number of points as to why I am posting these teachings.
First, teaching and doctrines in the N.T. are not "new" teachings for Gentiles. That most of what you read in the N.T. was already taught in the O.T. The N.T. doctrines do not have a Gentile meaning, as these doctrines are presented from a Gentile perspective, based on the English language, Gentile philosophy, Western thought, and Gentile culture. In 95% of the teaching, this is totally separated from and mostly ignores the original intent that was taught to the O.T. Jews. This results in a Gentile misunderstanding of the doctrines and they are falsely taught with a Gentile slant.
Second, the doctrines must be studied as they are presented in the O.T. and what they meant to the original recipients of the doctrines, based on the Jewish culture and the Theology found in the O.T. It is only through this method that one can know the true meaning of a doctrine or teaching in the N.T. I promise that if people just studied the N.T. doctrines found in the O.T. and compared the O.T. meaning of the doctrine to the Gentile slant of what is taught these days, they will benefit in two ways, one, they will learn the original meaning of the doctrines. This in turn will not only change the way they perceive and understand the N.T., but they will also finally comprehend the N.T. and see that is a repetition of the O.T. and understand that the N.T. is as much Jewish as the O.T.
Third, they will be able to recognize false teaching when they hear it. By neglecting this, the modern-day Pharisees, otherwise known as pastors and priests present false teaching.

We all know that Solomon wrote, "there is nothing new under the sun," Ecc 1:9. Before he made that statement, he first said," What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done." He continued in Vs 10, " Is there a thing of which it is said, "See, is this new"? It has already been in the ages before us." One of those things that have been around since the O.T. days is that most of those "Religious Leaders," the public accepts as reputable, held in high esteem, and considered to be very knowledgeable about Scripture, are actually false teachers. This was going on in the days of Jesus, just as it continues on until our days. The public, due to their lack of Scripture knowledge, wrongly assume that because these "Religious Leaders" are acknowledged as such, they must know Scripture and that when they "taught" Scripture, "Well if they say it, it must be true." Which is still going on today. Because their "pastor" went to seminary or bible college and obtained a "degree", anything they say "must be true"!
We see two perfect examples of what is going on today from the words of Jesus. In those days, in Judea, centered around Jerusalem, the two biggest groups of false teachers were the scribes and the Pharisees. When Jesus says, "You have heard that..." what he meant was, "You have heard the scribes and Pharisees say..."
Mat 5:38, "You have heard it said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth." This phrase is found in Ex 21:24, Lev 24:20, and Deut 19:21. The O.T. meaning of this was punishment for a crime or payment for wrongdoing was to equal the offense, not to mete out excessive punishment or repayment for restitution. If a man accidentally killed or caused the death of another man's ox, under God's law, he was only required to replace the ox.
All of the Jews in the days of Jesus were familiar with the phrase, yet the Pharisees had changed the original meaning of what God commanded into teaching that it was okay and expected that if wronged, a Jew could exact revenge on the offender and there was no limit to the revenge. (In reality, the Pharisees corrupted two of God's commands, In Deut 32:35, God said, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay.") In Mat 5:39-42, Jesus teaches how believers are to respond when others do them wrong, along with not getting revenge. So as then and today, those, (whose bible knowledge is extremely limited or nonexistent), who listen to acceptable and reputable "religious leaders, teachers" for their bible teaching, say, "Well, the teachers said it, so it must be true."
So I ask you, was it wrong for the Pharisees to teach Scripture in a false way? Of course, especially in the light of God's command to not add to or take away from His word which results in man changing God's word. On top of that, believers are commanded not to lie. A false teacher is a LIAR! What are the repercussions of people hearing and believing a false teacher? Does false teaching bother you? If you found out your favorite pastor was a false teacher, would you stop listening and warn others? Would you stop attending the building where the lying false teaching pastor spills out his lies? A false teacher does not only teach one lie, many of the other things he "teaches" are also lies.
Two other points here. Do believers today still follow what Jesus said here? Of course. Who was Jesus teaching here? The Jews. "To the Jew first," Rom 1:16. Second, in the N.T., in Rom 12:19 Paul writes, "Dearly beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath: for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay." Hmm, was this Paul giving a "new" doctrine, a doctrine for Gentile believers? Or was Paul reaching back into the O.T., Deut 32:35, to instruct both Jewish and Gentile believers? Thus, the doctrine that believers are "not to seek vengeance" was not a "new" doctrine first taught in the N.T. Paul was merely repeating what was originally commanded by God in the O.T., as originally taught to the O.T. Jews.
Mat 5:43, "You have heard it said, 'You will love your neighbor and hate your enemy." There is no verse in the O.T. that commands believers to "hate their enemy." There is a command to "love your neighbor," Deut 19:18. Once again, another example of false teachers "twisting" Scripture, 2Pet 3:16, Acts 20:30, "Also of your own selves shall men arise, teaching distorted (to turn aside from the right path, to pervert, corrupt) things to draw away disciples after themselves." (This is still going on.)
According to the Pharisees, "your neighbor" was any fellow Jew. An enemy was any and all Gentiles. The Pharisees totally ignored Ex 12:48. Check this out, Ex 12:49, One Torah, (law, teaching) will be for the one who is native to the land, (Jews), and for the stranger (Gentile who chooses to follow God) who lives among you. Hmm, in the O.T., the Gentile proselyte was also under the Law.
In the four Gospels, the Pharisees were false teachers. Yet I have yet to hear even one pastor ever say that the Pharisees were false teachers! Why is that? The worst you will hear about the Pharisees is either they were strict legalists, ultra-orthodox, or very conservative.
What is one of the least taught biblical topics? False teachers! You will hear many "sermons" about marriage, raising kids, giving money, praying, etc., but very little or nothing at all about false teachers. Again, why is that? Jesus, Paul, John, Peter, and Jude all spoke about false teachers! If it was important enough to teach about false teachers/teaching in Scripture, isn't it important enough to teach about it from the pulpit?
to be continued
The New Testament tells us the truth of how the grafting of two peoples, Jews and Gentiles, are one in the Tree of Life, through Jesus Christ of Nazareth by The Father and His Holy Spirit. This is the Gospel, the Good News for all.
Blessings

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The New Testament tells us the truth of how the grafting of two peoples, Jews and Gentiles, are one in the Tree of Life, through Jesus Christ of Nazareth by The Father and His Holy Spirit. This is the Gospel, the Good News for all.
Blessings

Do you think that "New Testament" began at
  1. Birth of Christ
  2. Cross of Christ
  3. salvation of Paul
At which point of time did that truth of the grafting of 2 people as one began?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that "New Testament" began at
  1. Birth of Christ
  2. Cross of Christ
  3. salvation of Paul
At which point of time did that truth of the grafting of 2 people as one began?
Day of Pentecost.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you would agree that, as far as Matthew to John is concerned, it was still all Old Testament?
The Old Testament lays down the prophetic and symbolic of what was to come, the Messiah. Jesus Christ of Nazareth came and fulfilled all that is in the OT and it is recorded in the NT. These are books recording prophesy and history. It is His Holy Spirit that seals all of what He promised to His flock,salvation through Him.
I dont see any division just a continuation and fulfillment of a promise.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,036.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Old Testament lays down the prophetic and symbolic of what was to come, the Messiah. Jesus Christ of Nazareth came and fulfilled all that is in the OT and it is recorded in the NT. These are books recording prophesy and history. It is His Holy Spirit that seals all of what He promised to His flock,salvation through Him.
I dont see any division just a continuation and fulfillment of a promise.
Blessings

But from your previous answer, you would agree that there was no grafting of gentiles and Jews into one body before Pentecost, correct?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But from your previous answer, you would agree that there was no grafting of gentiles and Jews into one body before Pentecost, correct?
No not yet however, the Jews were made up from a mixed multitude.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟885,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
to be continued

Just heard a sermon on false teachers this morning by Richard Ellis on the radio. I’ve heard it taught from time to time. The scriptures have literally thousands of messages to convey so it’s not surprising that some might not get as much attention as others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums