USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I won't mention them here, but some church denominations today have tried to create divisions in God's Word by claiming that only Apostle Paul's Epistles are for Christians, and the rest of The Bible is for the Jews. I believe it got started based on the false Dispensationalism that John Darby in 1830s Great Britain first preached, along with the start then of his preaching the false pre-tribulational rapture theory.

That idea of separating Paul's Epistles from the rest of The Bible and Apostles of course is ludicrous, since Apostle Paul shows in Ephesians 2 that the very foundation of Christ's Church involves His Apostles AND the Old Testament prophets, and of course Lord Jesus as its Chief Cornerstone. So it ought to be easy to know those men teaching against that are teaching lies instead, and God allows the deceivers to exist to see if we will listen to Him and His Son Jesus Christ, or not.

What to Watch Out For:

Rom 16:25-26
25 Now to Him That is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ,
according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:
KJV

What Apostle Paul was saying above is very simple. He is simply affirming Christ Jesus having chosen Paul to preach The Gospel to the Gentiles, and also to kings, AND to the children of Israel (Acts 9).

Most English New Testament translations there have Paul saying, "my gospel", so what's that? Could there ever be another gospel other than what Christ and the other Apostles preached? No, for even Peter was once led to preach The Gospel to Gentiles (Acts 10 & 11). So beware of those who try to say that Apostle Paul preached a 'different' Gospel than what the other Apostles and Christ Himself preached. Abuse of that "my gospel" phrase is one of their strategies for attempting to 'divide' Paul's Epistles from the rest of God's Word with their even trying to falsely suggest that there's more than one Gospel of Jesus Christ. There's not, there is only ONE Gospel of Jesus Christ, and Apostle Paul simply was given one 'administration' in it (yes, the English translation to "dispensation" actually means 'administration' per the Greek). And the Galatians 2 idea of two "apostleship" is simply about two different 'administrations' of the one Gospel of Jesus Christ, not two gospels.

1 Cor 2:6-7
6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
7 But
we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
KJV

So what is that "wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory"? If you are a Christian, you should easily know that has to do with The Gospel of Jesus Christ. However, did you not know that The Gospel was first preached to Abraham?

Gal 3:6-9
6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, "In thee shall all nations be blessed."
9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
KJV

Apostle Paul speaking in the above. Since Paul says those of Faith (i.e., Christians) are the same as the children of Abraham, and that The Gospel was preached to Abraham, and we are blessed WITH faithful Abraham, then how far back in Bible history does the preaching of The Gospel of Jesus Christ actually go??? And even more, how can some men try to separate Paul's Epistles from that Old Testament time back to Abraham, since the above is Paul speaking there??? What those men say are lies against God's Word, and those of you that have studied this by Apostle Paul should easily recognize those men are telling lies, even against the very Pauline Bible Scripture they claim... to support!

Did you know that Lord Jesus knew Abraham back in Old Testament times?

John 8:56-59
"Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day: and he saw it, and was glad."
57 Then said the Jews unto Him, "Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast Thou seen Abraham?"
Jesus said unto them, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am."
59 Then took they up stones to cast at Him: but Jesus hid Himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.
KJV

That's Lord Jesus above speaking to the unbelieving Jews. Abraham rejoiced to see Jesus' day, and he saw it and was glad? Yeah, The Gospel was preached to Abraham, remember? In Genesis 15, God gave Abraham the Promise by Faith. Abraham believed God and it was counted to Abraham as righteousness. That is the SAME Faith we have believed today, The Gospel of Jesus Christ. "But Davy, Jesus hadn't been born yet back then to die on the cross. So how could Abraham know about The Gospel?", some might ask...

Per Genesis 18, Lord Jesus and two angels actually appeared to Abraham. The two angels Jesus sent to Sodom and Gomorrah to pull Lot and his family out before the coming destruction there. Abraham stood with Jesus trying to debate that destruction if any were found in Sodom and Gomorrah that were righteous. Jesus was one of the "three men" that suddenly appeared out of nowhere at Abraham's tent door. Lord Jesus had not been born in the flesh yet then.

In Hebrews 7, Apostle Paul reveals that the Melchisedec that met Abraham per Genesis 14, and offered Abraham "bread and wine", and blessed Abraham, was actually our Lord Jesus Christ back in Old Testament times. What was it that Lord Jesus offered His disciples at the last supper? Bread to represent His body, and wine to represent His Blood, sacraments of His sacrifice per The New Covenant. Did you get that per Genesis 14, that Melchizedek offered "bread and wine" to Abraham also??

So really, how far back does The Gospel of Jesus Christ go??? From before the foundation of this world, like Apostle Paul said (Ephesians 3:9). Apostle Paul said it was hidden in secret since the world began. Do you think it was hidden from Abraham?? No, it wasn't. That is why Lord Jesus said at the end John 8 that Abraham rejoiced to see His day, and was glad.

Thus what God's Word actually... reveals, is that SOME back in Old Testament times DID KNOW about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. It simply was not yet understood completely yet by them, but God had already... given it by Promise through Faith, even the Faith of Abraham. And God had given Abraham the Promise by Faith something like 430 years before He gave Israel His law. So the Promise by Faith was always first, and not by any flesh works.

In 1 Corinthians 2, Apostle Paul says that this "mystery" of The Gospel being revealed was by The Holy Spirit, and was not given to any of the princes of this world, otherwise they would not have crucified our Lord Jesus. Did that mean Abraham didn't know about The Gospel? No, Abraham knew, as I have already shown per the Scriptures. God's chosen elect seed had an inkling of The Gospel even back to Abraham.

In Ephesians 3, Apostle Paul gets more to the point about his calling from Christ involving what he called the "mystery"...

Eph 3:2-9
2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to youward:
3 How that by revelation He made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto His holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of His power.
8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, Who created all things by Jesus Christ:
KJV

Do you see there above Paul points to that "mystery" having been revealed through God's "holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit"? By that Paul is admitting that he was not the only one who knew about that "mystery". So beware of men's false doctrines that try to say Paul was alone in knowledge of the "mystery". Paul even says about himself, that he is "less than the least of all saints", showing he did not put himself above the other Apostles and prophets that also knew about this "mystery".

So what actually was... the "mystery" which was revealed to Paul and the other Apostles by The Holy Spirit? It was this...

Eph.3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of His promise in Christ by the gospel:

Hitherto with Apostle Peter and Paul, the Jews had not yet understood that the Gentiles were to be included in the Promise by Faith to Abraham, and would inherit WITH faithful Abraham (per Galatians 3).

That was the "mystery" which Apostle Paul was talking about. This is why we can discover that Promise by Faith, The Gospel of Jesus Christ, found all the way back in Genesis involving Abraham, and how God's Birthright went to Abraham's son Isaac, then to his son Jacob, and then to his son Joseph, and then finally upon his two sons Ephraim and Manasseh which would become the founders of the western Christian nations of Asia Minor and Europe among the Gentiles, where The Gospel was preached next after Christ was rejected at Jerusalem (see the "multitude of nations" prophecy that Ephraim's seed was to become, per Genesis 48).

What does all this really mean about the "mystery" Paul preached? Does it mean we can just separate Paul's writings from the rest of The Bible?? Absolutely not!!! It means what Paul actually revealed in his Epistles, (when one actually takes the time to read them), is the whole of God's Plan for His Salvation through His Son Jesus Christ was revealed early in Old Testament history, and written down through God's Old Testament prophets (even though they did not yet understand!) This is why one can read especially in the Book of Isaiah about the saved Gentiles in God's Plan of Salvation (Isaiah 11:10; Isaiah 42:6; Isaiah 49:6; Isaiah 49:22; Isaiah 54:3; Isaiah 60:3-5; Isaiah 60:11; Isaiah 66:12).

Antonio39

Mar 10, 2023
Massachusetts
✟26,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first false division you made was to say, "some written to Christians, and some jews". First off Christ is the anointed one of Israel and all the apostles where Jewish, so jews are Christians and the term would most naturally be applied to them, as it first was (Acts.11.26). Now there is a difference in receiving an inheritance in Israel which was prophesied (Acts.15:16). From the mystery hid in God from the ages and generations (Col.1:26-27; Eph.3:9) (formation of the church which is Christ's body that has an inheritance in the highest heaven far above all (Eph.1.3,14, 20-23). No Abraham talk after Acts 28.25-28.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The first false division you made was to say, "some written to Christians, and some jews". First off Christ is the anointed one of Israel and all the apostles where Jewish, so jews are Christians and the term would most naturally be applied to them, as it first was (Acts.11.26). Now there is a difference in receiving an inheritance in Israel which was prophesied (Acts.15:16). From the mystery hid in God from the ages and generations (Col.1:26-27; Eph.3:9) (formation of the church which is Christ's body that has an inheritance in the highest heaven far above all (Eph.1.3,14, 20-23). No Abraham talk after Acts 28.25-28.
I never said believing Jews were not Christians. That's YOUR attempt at using a 'pry bar' against what I wrote above, with you making up stuff I didn't say. God calls doing that 'bearing false witness' in case you are not aware of His laws.

And to correct you, the name 'Christian' was FIRST USED AT ANTIOCH, not Jerusalem...

Acts 11:25-26
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass,
that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people.
And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
KJV

And if you try to say the Church at Antioch was ONLY about believing Jews and not also Gentiles, you'd be bearing false witness again, but against God's written Word.

Romans 4 and Galatians 3 are SPECIFICALLY ABOUT ABRAHAM and God's Promise by Faith, and inheritance of those in Christ WITH faithful Abraham, which is part of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Know what else, Apostle Paul gave that in relation to THE GOSPEL, and has NO RELATION to His being delivered up per the end of Acts.

Upvote 0

Antonio39

Mar 10, 2023
Massachusetts
✟26,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I never said believing Jews were not Christians. That's YOUR attempt at using a 'pry bar' against what I wrote above, with you making up stuff I didn't say. God calls doing that 'bearing false witness' in case you are not aware of His laws.

And to correct you, the name 'Christian' was FIRST USED AT ANTIOCH, not Jerusalem...

Acts 11:25-26
25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass,
that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people.
And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
KJV

And if you try to say the Church at Antioch was ONLY about believing Jews and not also Gentiles, you'd be bearing false witness again, but against God's written Word.

Romans 4 and Galatians 3 are SPECIFICALLY ABOUT ABRAHAM and God's Promise by Faith, and inheritance of those in Christ WITH faithful Abraham, which is part of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Know what else, Apostle Paul gave that in relation to THE GOSPEL, and has NO RELATION to His being delivered up per the end of Acts.
Never said they were called Christians in Jerusalem (talking about false witness by my alleged miss quoting you then you do it, lol, I love you man) see Acts.11:19-20 no gentiles being preached to in Antioch at the time "Christain" is used, the Greeks are Greek speaking proselytes in the synagogue (Acts.14:1; cp. Jn. 7:35; 12:20-23), up to Acts 13 Corneilous is the only record of gentile salvation, God unlocking the door to the Gentiles by the keys given to Peter, Mt.16:19; Acts.10); in preparation before He opens the door of faith to the gentiles through Paul's first mission (Acts.13:2,46; 14:26-27; cp Gal.2:6-8).

Also, the division could be better said to accurately describe the position "some scriptures are to Israel and some to the body of Christ", there are different hopes, promises. and instructions, giving to different people at different times in God's word we can't just put it in a blender, and I think I laid it out well in my Post "the three different companies that are progressively called out in the N.T." We will keep studying peace in the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: AbbaLove
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When viewing the following Google images only a few (Rom 1:16) include the entire verse: (to the Jew first and also to the Greek.)

Ashamed7-e1570718544480.png

Is Christian bias still evident with the growth of Messianic & Hebrew Roots congregations over the past 50 years?

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When viewing the following Google images only a few (Rom 1:16) include the entire verse: (to the Jew first and also to the Greek.)

Is Christian bias still evident with the growth of Messianic & Hebrew Roots congregations over the past 50 years?
Where does it say "Messianic" and "Hebrew Roots" in God's written Word?

God's Word mentions the idea of the "Christian", and those born as Hebrews, etc., but I can't find anything written about Messianics, Hebrew Roots, Jews for Jesus, Jehovah Witness, etc.

So why even refer to such things as if they have some special importance? They don't, either one is a believer on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ, which makes them a Christian, or they don't believe.

Labels like Messianic, Hebrew Roots, etc., all that to me is just Jewish believers on Christ Jesus wanting to stay joined with their unbelieving Jewish brethren. Yet Apostle Paul said to not be unequally yoked with the unbeliever, for what hath Christ to do with an infidel?

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You need to face up to the false Jew idea you're pushing about Paul's 'mystery', because Gentiles ALSO INHERIT WITH FAITHFUL ABRAHAM, just as Apostle Paul said...

Gal 3:28-29
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
KJV

You obviously have NOT realized the above yet, believing Gentiles are JOINT HEIRS in God's PROMISES TO ISRAEL! That is what it means to be 'counted' as "Abraham's seed"!

And who truly is... God's Israel in His Plan of Salvation?? Bloodline Jews ONLY? God forbid, because NONE of the Apostles nor Jesus ever taught that!! Those who BELIEVE ON JESUS CHRIST ONLY, are COUNTED for the seed! So it ain't about BLOODLINE anymore!

It is NOT about the flesh anymore! You need to realize that! The ultimate goal in God's Plan of Salvation through His Son is that those who BELIEVE on Jesus Christ become God's children, regardless of flesh birth, "sons of God"!!!

Rom 9:6-8
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect.
For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is,
They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
KJV

Children of WHAT PROMISE? The Promise by Faith on Jesus Christ, which is the Promise that God first gave to Abraham, and Abraham's Faith was counted as righteousness.

Gal 3:6-9
6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.
Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham.
8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, "In thee shall all nations be blessed."
So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
KJV

John 1:12-13
12 But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name:
13 Which were born,
not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
KJV

The following is a prophecy about God's future Israel in His future Kingdom...

Isa 54:2-3
Enlarge the place of thy tent, and let them stretch forth the curtains of thine habitations: spare not, lengthen thy cords, and strengthen thy stakes;
3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left;
and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.
KJV

Revelation declares God's future Kingdom as a Heavenly cube with its base upon the earth and stretching up into heaven, so there's going to be plenty of room for ALL FAITHFUL BELIEVERS ON JESUS CHRIST IN HIS FUTURE KINGDOM, and that of course INCLUDES THE BELIEVING GENTILES.

So those who think God's Promises to the seed of Israel is for THEM ONLY show they have not ACTUALLY READ GOD'S PROPHECIES IN HIS WORD!

Upvote 0

Antonio39

Mar 10, 2023
Massachusetts
✟26,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God's Word mentions the idea of the "Christian", and those born as Hebrews, etc., but I can't find anything written about Messianics, Hebrew Roots, Jews for Jesus, Jehovah Witness, etc.

So why even refer to such things as if they have some special importance? They don't, either one is a believer on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ, which makes them a Christian, or they don't believe.

Labels like Messianic, Hebrew Roots, etc., all that to me is just Jewish believers on Christ Jesus wanting to stay joined with their unbelieving Jewish brethren. Yet Apostle Paul said to not be unequally yoked with the unbeliever, for what hath Christ to do with an infidel?

i am not sure what you are saying, but Christ (G5545) means anointed one, and that in Hebrew it was messiah, and believers are called anointed (G5547), (1 Jn.2:20) if that helps. but the division of saying there is difference of being Christian and jew; it's like some weird dividing line, that was made up from covenant theology, it's like someone asking you are you Christian or catholic, where Catholics call themselves Christians, the word Christian it is in the bible, so i see why they would, but you see how these meaning evolve in Christendom.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i am not sure what you are saying, but Christ (G5545) means anointed one, and that in Hebrew it was messiah, and believers are called anointed (G5547), (1 Jn.2:20) if that helps. but the division of saying there is difference of being Christian and jew; it's like some weird dividing line, that was made up from covenant theology, it's like someone asking you are you Christian or catholic, where Catholics call themselves Christians, the word Christian it is in the bible, so i see why they would, but you see how these meaning evolve in Christendom.
The only believers on Jesus Christ that I 'know' are CHRISTIANS.

Acts 11:26
26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
KJV

I don't pay attention to those who don't like to call themselves a Christian, but try to use other names. Those are just groups trying to be different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good thread. The false interpretation of “right division” of the Word is yet another doctrine of demons plaguing the Church today.

To be anti-Paul is to be Anti-Christ.
What are you talking about?

Rightly dividing the Word of God like Apostle Paul told Timothy to do in Bible study per 2 Timothy 2:15 means to recognize the events in Bible Scripture in their different timelines. For example, the idea that Christ was ordained before the foundation of the world points to a timeline before this world, while the prophecy of Jesus Christ's future return points to a future timeline that has yet to happen. That's how Paul meant to 'rightly divide'.

So with this subject about The Gospel of Jesus Christ that Paul and the Apostles preached, it was ordained before the foundation of this world like Paul showed. And it began through Faith via Abraham first, which is why Paul said those of Faith are the children of Abraham, and by that The Gospel was preached to Abraham. Oh, and actually, by the prophecy from Enoch written in Jude about Christ's future return with ten thousands of His saints, that would qualify Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, as being familiar with The Gospel of Jesus Christ!

And the FACT that Lord Jesus existed in the days of Abraham, per His answer to the blind Pharisees at the end of John 8, that has even greater meaning about Abraham's Faith in relation to The Gospel of Jesus Christ.

And all this is simply shown in God's Word as written, and discovered by those who quit listening to men, but instead listen to God in His Word.

Therefore, the false Jew's idea that God's Plan of Salvation is for them only, or even that God's Promises to Israel that first began through Abraham is for Jews only, is nothing but a LIE against The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Those Jews who remain in that LIE will be 'cut off'. Christ's Church inherits with faithful Abraham, not unbelieving Jews.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Rightly dividing the Word of God like Apostle Paul told Timothy to do in Bible study per 2 Timothy 2:15 means to recognize the events in Bible Scripture in their different timelines. For example, the idea that Christ was ordained before the foundation of the world points to a timeline before this world, while the prophecy of Jesus Christ's future return points to a future timeline that has yet to happen. That's how Paul meant to 'rightly divide'.
False. You are of course correct that Jesus and the promise he offered to all mankind was present in the garden and before time began. But you incorrectly parse the simple and straightforward directive he gave to Timothy.

What does it mean to be rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15)?​

Timothy had incredible advantages. He was taught the Word of God by his mother and grandmother (2 Timothy 1:5), and he was discipled by Paul and served with Paul in ministry for years. Timothy knew the Word of God and was well-equipped. Even still, Paul tells Timothy that he needed to be diligent in the study of the Word and in rightly dividing the Word of truth. Without that continuing diligence in the Word, Timothy would not be able to stand firm, and he would not be able to maintain sound teaching. Paul warned Timothy to pay attention to himself and to his teaching (1 Timothy 4:16). Because all Scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness, it is exactly what we need in order to be equipped for every good work God intends for us (2 Timothy 3:16–17).

Paul encourages Timothy to be diligent to present himself as a workman approved by God who would not need to be ashamed because he was rightly dividing or accurately handling the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15). First, Paul’s instruction makes it clear that the study of the Bible is work. It takes effort. It takes diligence. We need to be committed to doing that work if we desire to be equipped for what God intends us to do in life. Second, Paul helps us to focus on the idea that this work in the Word is not about the approval of other people. Rather, it is God who is assessing how we handle His Word, and so we are studying His Word for Him. Also, we understand that, if we are diligent, we will not need to be ashamed because we will have been faithful with the remarkable stewardship of His Word. Sometimes we may take for granted that we have His completed Word—the Bible. We may be unaware of how many people suffered and died to provide us the freedom and opportunity to own our own Bibles and read them in our own language. How sad would it be if we took this—one of the very greatest of freedoms—and were not diligent to make the most of it?

Paul’s final comment in 2 Timothy 2:15 is helpful because it tells us what success looks like in the study of the Word: to be “rightly dividing” the Word of truth (NKJV). The Greek word translated as “rightly dividing” is orthotomountaortho means “right or proper,” and tomounta means “to cut.” Literally, success in handling the Word is to cut it properly or correctly. This is farming imagery, as a farmer who is plowing a field would seek to cut straight furrows in order to plant rows of seed. When plowing, a farmer would look at a point on the other side of the field and focus on that point to ensure the line cut in the dirt was straight. This is what the good student of the Word is doing, as well: remaining focused on the goal or outcome and being diligent to handle the Word of God properly. To rightly divide the Word of truth is to “cut it straight.”

Ultimately, in studying the Word, we are trying to understand what the Author has said and not allow our own opinions or views to cloud the meaning of what He has written. When we are diligent to “cut straight”—to rightly divide the Word of truth—we can understand what He has communicated in His Word and be well-equipped for what He would have us to do and how He would have us to think.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
False. You are of course correct that Jesus and the promise he offered to all mankind was present in the garden and before time began. But you incorrectly parse the simple and straightforward directive he gave to Timothy.

What does it mean to be rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15)?​

Timothy had incredible advantages. He was taught the Word of God by his mother and grandmother (2 Timothy 1:5), and he was discipled by Paul and served with Paul in ministry for years. Timothy knew the Word of God and was well-equipped. Even still, Paul tells Timothy that he needed to be diligent in the study of the Word and in rightly dividing the Word of truth. Without that continuing diligence in the Word, Timothy would not be able to stand firm, and he would not be able to maintain sound teaching. Paul warned Timothy to pay attention to himself and to his teaching (1 Timothy 4:16). Because all Scripture is God-breathed and is profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness, it is exactly what we need in order to be equipped for every good work God intends for us (2 Timothy 3:16–17).

Paul encourages Timothy to be diligent to present himself as a workman approved by God who would not need to be ashamed because he was rightly dividing or accurately handling the Word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15). First, Paul’s instruction makes it clear that the study of the Bible is work. It takes effort. It takes diligence. We need to be committed to doing that work if we desire to be equipped for what God intends us to do in life. Second, Paul helps us to focus on the idea that this work in the Word is not about the approval of other people. Rather, it is God who is assessing how we handle His Word, and so we are studying His Word for Him. Also, we understand that, if we are diligent, we will not need to be ashamed because we will have been faithful with the remarkable stewardship of His Word. Sometimes we may take for granted that we have His completed Word—the Bible. We may be unaware of how many people suffered and died to provide us the freedom and opportunity to own our own Bibles and read them in our own language. How sad would it be if we took this—one of the very greatest of freedoms—and were not diligent to make the most of it?

Paul’s final comment in 2 Timothy 2:15 is helpful because it tells us what success looks like in the study of the Word: to be “rightly dividing” the Word of truth (NKJV). The Greek word translated as “rightly dividing” is orthotomountaortho means “right or proper,” and tomounta means “to cut.” Literally, success in handling the Word is to cut it properly or correctly. This is farming imagery, as a farmer who is plowing a field would seek to cut straight furrows in order to plant rows of seed. When plowing, a farmer would look at a point on the other side of the field and focus on that point to ensure the line cut in the dirt was straight. This is what the good student of the Word is doing, as well: remaining focused on the goal or outcome and being diligent to handle the Word of God properly. To rightly divide the Word of truth is to “cut it straight.”

Ultimately, in studying the Word, we are trying to understand what the Author has said and not allow our own opinions or views to cloud the meaning of what He has written. When we are diligent to “cut straight”—to rightly divide the Word of truth—we can understand what He has communicated in His Word and be well-equipped for what He would have us to do and how He would have us to think.
All you're trying to do is 'read in' your own philosophy into what Paul told Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15.

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

Here's the BIBLICAL interpretation of what Paul said underlined in red...

Matt 13:51-52
51 Jesus saith unto them, "Have ye understood all these things?" They say unto Him, "Yea, Lord."
52 Then said He unto them, "Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old."
KJV

What do you think Jesus' idea about that scribe being like a "householder" that brings forth out of his treasure things new and old", is about? It's about the 'timelines' written in God's Word involving His prophecies and their fulfillment, and that between study in both the Old Testament Books and the New Testament. That's what Paul was talking about, not some seminary 'milk' philosophy like you espoused.

Luke 12:42-43
42 And the Lord said, "Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household,
to give them their portion of meat in due season?
43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing."
KJV

That rightly dividing The Word of Truth results in that "portion of meat in due season" that the householder is supposed to be giving his servants, all the way up to the time of Christ's future return. But of course to understand how Jesus meant that, one would first have to understand what that "meat" is.

In John 21, Lord Jesus told Peter that if he loved Him, to 'feed My sheep', meaning feed His Church. Feed em' what? Strong meat of The Word, NOT milk.

Thus the walk of those still on the 'milk' of God's Word fit this...

1 Cor 3:1-3
3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
KJV

All the divisions here on Christian forums like this fits what Paul said above about the "carnal" minded brethren still not ready for the "strong meat", but still sucking on milk bottles.

Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
@Davy you are the one seeking to divide. You’ve missed the entire meaning of Paul’s passage which is to focus on what matters.

14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Please cease engaging in useless quarrels. It’s unbefitting a servant and brother.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
:amen: ... Well Expressed !

• Friendly
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Antonio39

Mar 10, 2023
Massachusetts
✟26,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 Tim.1:6-11; cp. v8; 2Tim.2:14-16; Tit.1:1-2,10-14; 2Tim.3:16-17; i see these scriptures as applying to the close context Paul uses in 2Tim.2:25; I learned from all of our posts on this subject, and the links Davy referenced; seeing that we had different aspects of Paul's meaning. so, we don't have to argue who is right, but learn from one another and we all grow in truth, as long as our identification and loyalty is with Christ our head who will give us all wisdom, and not to any institution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Antonio39

Mar 10, 2023
Massachusetts
✟26,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
All you're trying to do is 'read in' your own philosophy into what Paul told Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15.

2 Tim 2:15
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth.
KJV

Here's the BIBLICAL interpretation of what Paul said underlined in red...

Matt 13:51-52
51 Jesus saith unto them, "Have ye understood all these things?" They say unto Him, "Yea, Lord."
52 Then said He unto them, "Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old."
KJV

What do you think Jesus' idea about that scribe being like a "householder" that brings forth out of his treasure things new and old", is about? It's about the 'timelines' written in God's Word involving His prophecies and their fulfillment, and that between study in both the Old Testament Books and the New Testament. That's what Paul was talking about, not some seminary 'milk' philosophy like you espoused.

Luke 12:42-43
42 And the Lord said, "Who then is that faithful and wise steward, whom his lord shall make ruler over his household,
to give them their portion of meat in due season?
43 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing."
KJV

That rightly dividing The Word of Truth results in that "portion of meat in due season" that the householder is supposed to be giving his servants, all the way up to the time of Christ's future return. But of course to understand how Jesus meant that, one would first have to understand what that "meat" is.

In John 21, Lord Jesus told Peter that if he loved Him, to 'feed My sheep', meaning feed His Church. Feed em' what? Strong meat of The Word, NOT milk.

Thus the walk of those still on the 'milk' of God's Word fit this...

1 Cor 3:1-3
3 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
KJV

All the divisions here on Christian forums like this fits what Paul said above about the "carnal" minded brethren still not ready for the "strong meat", but still sucking on milk bottles.
nice links

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Davy you are the one seeking to divide. You’ve missed the entire meaning of Paul’s passage which is to focus on what matters.

14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them before the Lord that they strive not about words to no profit, but to the subverting of the hearers.

16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

Please cease engaging in useless quarrels. It’s unbefitting a servant and brother.
Nah, I didn't miss what Paul taught. You have, because what you posted was mostly 'milk' from your own reasoning, and not really keeping close to what the Scriptures reveal.

Those in Christ are to progress to the "strong meat" of God's Word and that's not about seminary philosophies.

Heb 5:11-14
11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
KJV

Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Nah, I didn't miss what Paul taught. You have, because what you posted was mostly 'milk' from your own reasoning, and not really keeping close to what the Scriptures reveal.

Those in Christ are to progress to the "strong meat" of God's Word and that's not about seminary philosophies.

Heb 5:11-14
11 Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.

12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.

13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.

14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
KJV
You are entitled to your opinion wrong though you remain.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OK, so BACK to the original TOPIC of this thread again...

Darby's Dispensationalism created the idea that Jesus raptures the Church to Heaven prior to the "great tribulation" which Lord Jesus warned of in Matthew 24, and after that tribulation, Jesus takes reign over the nations with His elect, but rules from Heaven with His Church, while the old nation of Israel is restored on earth. That means he believed the Jews ONLY would be re-established back to the original inheritances on earth that God promised their fathers, while Christ and His Church rule from Heaven.

The majority of that idea from John Darby (1830s in Great Britain) is NOT written anywhere in God's Word. There is no such idea as a Pre-tribulational Rapture written in God's Word. Nor is there any idea written that the Church will reign with Jesus from Heaven while the nation of Israel is restored back on earth.

WHAT GOD'S WORD ACTUALLY REVEALS:
Zechariah 14 reveals that Lord Jesus will literally 'return' to this earth, His feet touching down upon the Mount of Olives where He ascended to Heaven from, at the end of the tribulation on the "day of the Lord". And He will return to that spot with all His saints, and begin His reign over the nations, ON THE EARTH.

And Matthew 24:29-31 reveals that Jesus comes AFTER... the tribulation to gather His Church, not prior. And Apostle Paul, as I have already shown by posting Scripture in this thread, revealed that those of Faith have become the children of Abraham, and inherit WITH Abraham. That means both believing Israelites and believing Gentiles (i.e., Christ's Church), will be gathered by Lord Jesus and taken to the holy land and inherit the old inheritances that God promised the seed of Israel. This is why Isaiah 54 speaks of the seed of Israel inheriting the Gentiles.

WHAT DARBY'S THEORIES DID:
But what John Darby's Dispensationalism does, is keep 'some' of the legitimate ideas about the Biblical timelines of history regarding God's Salvation Plan via The Gospel, while for the time of the very end of this world, and in Christ's future return and reign, Darby instead modifies what The Bible proclaims.

Then in later years, movements like Hyper-dispensationalism started by those like E.W. Bullinger, which was further built upon Darby's dispensationalist ideas linked with the false pre-trib rapture theory, only created more chaos and confusion and unnecessary debates about when Paul's Epistles became officially applicable to Christ's Church.

THE MORE PROFOUND REVELATION OF THE 'MYSTERY':
By simply listening to what Apostle Paul taught in his Epistles reveals the actual Truth of the matter about the "mystery" he was pointing to that God's Old Testament prophets first mentioned, i.e., that the Gentiles who believe on Jesus will be joint-heirs WITH Israel's inheritances in God's Plan of Salvation through His Son Jesus Christ. It was specifically for that purpose that Christ chose Apostle Paul to take The Gospel to the Gentiles. But Jesus also chose Paul to take The Gospel to kings, and... to the children of Israel too (Acts 9). And per Acts 10 Apostle Peter was led to preach The Gospel to Gentiles, and they received The Holy Spirit too, and that event showed Peter about the "mystery" of the Gentiles being joint-heirs with Israel, which Peter revealed to his brethren the Jews at Jerusalem afterwards (per Acts 11).

When Apostle Paul in Galatians 3 and Romans 4 revealed that The Gospel was preached to Abraham that Salvation would also be to the believing Gentiles, that made this "mystery" Paul spoke of even MORE PROFOUND, and revealed the "mystery" connected with Abraham even way back to the time in the Book of Genesis!!! By that Apostle Paul LITERALLY CONNECTED THE "MYSTERY" OF SALVATION TO GENTILES with The Gospel Promise by Faith throughout the Old Testament Books! How so??

The Gospel Promise by Faith Includes Promises of Inheritance:
Apostle Paul taught in Galatians 3 that those who believe on the same Promise by Faith that Abraham believed, thus inherit WITH faithful Abraham. That revealed a literal connection of The Gospel of Jesus Christ (the Promise by Faith) with the Promises of Blessings that God also gave to Abraham. That is Paul's idea of the Church inheriting with faithful Abraham per Galatians 3...

Gal 3:27-29
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
KJV

The orthodox Jews will never agree with what Apostle Paul said above in red, nor will the followers of Darby's Dispensationalism and a Pre-trib Rapture theory, for they wrongly believe the inheritance of the seed of Israel is separate from the inheritance of Christ's Church.

GOSPEL PROMISE + INHERITANCES:
But the time will come in the future, with Lord Jesus' return, and His gathering of the ten lost tribes of Israel, which will be when everyone will understand how God scattered the majority of the 'seed' of Israel among the Gentiles, and the majority of the ten scattered tribes along with Gentiles, together became Christ's Church of the Western Christian nations when The Gospel was preached to them after Lord Jesus Christ was rejected at Jerusalem. And by that God's Promises were transferred mainly to those ten lost tribes hidden among the Gentiles.

God's promise to Jacob that his seed would become not just a single nation, but also "a company of nations", is what that was about (Gen.35). Likewise, when Jacob blessed Joseph's two sons Ephraim and Manasseh, he said that Ephraim's seed would become literally "a multitude of nations" (Gen.48). That was fulfilled in the nations of Asia Minor and Europe where The Gospel was preached after Christ was rejected in Jerusalem. It points to the founding of the historical Western Christian nations.

But God's Promises of Blessings also followed... that Gospel Faith, which is why Paul would point to it in Galatians 3 with Abraham's Faith. God's Promises and Blessings followed The Gospel among the children of Israel, involving God's Birthright to Israel. Even the new name ISRAEL God gave to be a symbol for The Gospel Salvation through Jesus Christ!

How blind the doctrines of men can make one about this matter, because Paul revealed that the Promise which Abraham believed and God counted to him as righteousness, was the SAME Faith of The Gospel of Jesus Christ that WE, Christ's Church, have believed! So did anyone else besides Abraham after him not know? Sure they did. Even Enoch, the 7th from the man Adam, prophesied of Christ's future coming with ten thousands of His saints, per the Book of Jude. The connection of Ephraim's seed with the "multitude of nations" prophesy, linked with the founding of the Western Christian nations when The Gospel was preached in the West, is also proof of God's Promises to Israel FOLLOWING wherever The Gospel was accepted!!!

Just like pseudo-science that doesn't believe in God's creation, and instead relies upon man's theories of evolution, they believe everything followed a certain evolving order. The same wrongful secularist type evolving patterns are taught about The Gospel of Jesus Christ too, like no one back in The Old Testament times knew about The Gospel of Jesus Christ when Enoch prophesied about Christ's future coming! And at the end of John 8, Lord Jesus said that Abraham rejoiced to see His day, and was glad! And Paul revealed that The Gospel was preached to Abraham. The reality of this matter is that one well studied in God's Word can preach The Gospel of Jesus Christ from just about every Book in The Bible!

Last edited:
Upvote 0