United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Why do Christians say the Our Father (the "Lord's Prayer") slightly differently?

Catholics conclude with "deliveries from evil," whereas most Protestants, following Matthew 6:13 in the King James Version, go on to say something like, "For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever."

Continued below.
The Mystery of the Our Father’s Ending | Catholic Answers

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I looked it up at Biblegateway where you can read about any bible ever made I think, and there are several written either way and many with the footnotes that some early manuscripts did not have that portion in it. I've also prayed it both ways over the years, of course when practicing Catholicism we had the auto response in mass and other services too without it.

On another note Matthew 6:9-13 is one of several of my favorite portions. Thanks for posting about it !

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
*You are in the Catholic forum*

Why do Christians say the Our Father (the "Lord's Prayer") slightly differently?

Catholics conclude with "deliveries from evil," whereas most Protestants, following Matthew 6:13 in the King James Version, go on to say something like, "For yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever."

Continued below.
The Mystery of the Our Father’s Ending | Catholic Answers

Christians vs Catholics...
Don't feed it to them / us

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The prayer called Our Father, or the Lord’s Prayer or the disciples’ prayer bears striking resemblance to 3 prayers from the synagogue that date back to at least the first century bc; the Kaddish, The Alenu and The Amidah.

The phrase in question is similar to a portion of the Alenu.

May all the world's inhabitants recognize and know that to You every knee must bend and every tongue must swear loyalty. Before You, Adonai, our God, may all bow down, and give honor to Your precious name, and may all take upon themselves the yoke of Your rule. And may You reign over them soon and forever and always. Because all rule is Yours alone, and You will rule in honor forever and ever.​

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0