USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No test or group has ever pegged me or my personality.

Meyers Briggs came closer than most.
But that still doesn't mean that I'm locked in. I ain't changing my repertoire for anyone or anything.

But people do have similar personality traits. From the guy who knows everyone to the wallflower girl.
Indeed, I don't see myself as "locked in" to anything, in terms of who I am or what I can do.

You be you, John !

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, I don't see myself as "locked in" to anything, in terms of who I am or what I can do.

You be you, John !
Yeah...of course!
Who else am I going to be?...all the rich and famous guys were already taken.

But when you get owned you have to admit it too.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah...of course!
Who else am I going to be?...all the rich and famous guys were already taken.

But when you get owned you have to admit it too.
Rich n' famous, bah. Boring. You have denim overalls and a toolbox! Much more appealing.

• Haha
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how productive it is to use words like "nonsense" and "junk" when people are expressing that something is meaningful, useful, and helpful to them.

I don't say that the test "told me who I am", it simply laid out a description of a personality type that checked off practically every box that fits me. It was the first time in my entire life that I'd ever seen an accurate, in-depth description of my personality. For someone who's felt very misunderstood and had difficulty relating to others, and being related to, I can't really emphasize just how helpful this was in moving me from "I must be the weirdest nutjob on earth" to "Wait, someone actually understands??" It was pivotal for me. I was able to go on to read about and research other "personality types" and it's been very enlightening into other people I know, and has helped me view them with more understanding.

So, it wasn't nonsense or junk. Not for me.
I’m sorry but I’m going with the professionals on this one. Not wishful thinking. People have all sorts of strengths and weakness that change over time. You cannot read people like a horoscope. I feel it’s sets a dangerous mindset for many people.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know how productive it is to use words like "nonsense" and "junk" when people are expressing that something is meaningful, useful, and helpful to them.

I don't say that the test "told me who I am", it simply laid out a description of a personality type that checked off practically every box that fits me. It was the first time in my entire life that I'd ever seen an accurate, in-depth description of my personality. For someone who's felt very misunderstood and had difficulty relating to others, and being related to, I can't really emphasize just how helpful this was in moving me from "I must be the weirdest nutjob on earth" to "Wait, someone actually understands??" It was pivotal for me. I was able to go on to read about and research other "personality types" and it's been very enlightening into other people I know, and has helped me view them with more understanding.

So, it wasn't nonsense or junk. Not for me.
Of course not but it is not real science and data proves that.

Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m sorry but I’m going with the professionals on this one. Not wishful thinking. People have all sorts of strengths and weakness that change over time. You cannot read people like a horoscope. I feel it’s sets a dangerous mindset for many people.

I feel like we're just crossing wires here or something :)

Yes, strengths and weaknesses may change over time. That's not "personality", though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you cannot read people". The MB test describes my personality to a T. That's not to say that it places me within some kind of box that I can never defy, nor is that its purpose. It's simply a tool in helping people understand themselves and others better.

What's a dangerous mindset?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I feel like we're just crossing wires here or something :)

Yes, strengths and weaknesses may change over time. That's not "personality", though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "you cannot read people". The MB test describes my personality to a T. That's not to say that it places me within some kind of box that I can never defy, nor is that its purpose. It's simply a tool in helping people understand themselves and others better.

What's a dangerous mindset?
A dangerous mindset are those that think they can take a quiz created by a mother and daughter with no psychological background and lock themselves into it. We all have personalities with many commonalities and variables. It really amazes me how attached people are to this regardless of facts. Many people do that which shuts doors when many think it opens them but only for themselves. Or it’s simple resignation to something that allows them to give a lot of excuses for their actions. No personality is set in stone. We have traits. We evolve and have weaknesses. People just do not operate the way these tests are set up. Personality is not determined. It depends on many variables in life.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If a discussion requires agreement it isn't a discussion. It's a sales pitch. If you require agreement or compliance with your perspective you're looking to influence. Not inform.

The article won't sway opinions on its own. It appeals to three demographics:

Those who felt the same prior to reading
Those who felt maligned by personality tests
Those seeking confirmation for a hunch along those lines.

The message must fit the audience. If you're speaking to aficionados it will fall on deaf ears. Unless you can persuade them. Denial is the wrong approach.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a discussion requires agreement it isn't a discussion. It's a sales pitch. If you require agreement or compliance with your perspective you're looking to influence. Not inform.

The article won't sway opinions on its own. It appeals to three demographics:

Those who felt the same prior to reading
Those who felt maligned by personality tests
Those seeking confirmation for a hunch along those lines.

The message must fit the audience. If you're speaking to aficionados it will fall on deaf ears. Unless you can persuade them. Denial is the wrong approach.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
Denial of what? That professionals have deemed these tests as ineffective? I’m not Tony Robbins trying to sell something. I’m someone that agrees with the professionals and not pop psychology. I have personal experience with the type of damage these things can do with vulnerable people. It’s not pretty. You’d think I attacked Scripture here. These reactions are very interesting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NerdGirl

The untamed daughter
Apr 14, 2020
USA
✟65,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A dangerous mindset are those that think they can take a quiz created by a mother and daughter with no psychological background and lock themselves into it. We all have personalities with many commonalities and variables. It really amazes me how attached people are to this regardless of facts. Many people do that which shuts doors when many think it opens them but only for themselves. Or it’s simple resignation to something that allows them to give a lot of excuses for their actions. No personality is set in stone. We have traits. We evolve and have weaknesses. People just do not operate the way these tests are set up. Personality is not determined. It depends on many variables in life.

I agree that nobody should be "locking themselves into" anything. Or "shutting doors". That's not my experience with MB at all, nor how I view it. I do think that personality is relatively consistent through our lives, but maybe we're defining the word a little differently.

I don't wish to argue, however, so I think I will leave what I have said, and make my exit :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm saying that it's bad for people to believe their personality is determined. People are always capable of change, and if they don't understand that they can allow themselves to get fixed into something they feel they cannot get out of or do not want to get out of.

Determinism is not a healthy or practical mindset. We need to believe in our ability to change.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are not effectual because people don't answer the tests appropriately.
We put the answers we want instead of the truth... cognitive dissonance keeps you from giving the correct answers.

My wife gave one set of answers about me and my son gave a completely different one...I gave one that wasn't either one of the two. (My wife's was more accurate)

And that's the reason why the tests aren't accurate. A completely objective opinion is needed for most of the tests and no one really has one.

• Agree
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Denial of what? That professionals have deemed these tests as ineffective? I’m not Tony Robbins trying to sell something. I’m someone that agrees with the professional and not pop psychology. I have personal experience with the type of damage these things can do with vulnerable people. It’s not pretty. You’d think I attacked Scripture here. These reactions are very interesting.

You presented an article. You expect the reader to reach the same conclusions you've drawn. To embrace the information and alter their mindset. But that isn't how change works. Nor was the article written for people who agree with the tests. That's not how content is created. You pitch it to the person who wants to hear the same.

You're presenting an opposing opinion to a group. They must believe in you to change their mind. That's how persuasion works. You'd need to establish a pattern of insight and solutions to encourage them to reconsider their position.

What's in it for them? Why should they listen to you? Sharing your experiences may sway some. But not all. :)

I get what you're saying. But I do this for a living. People often listen to those they want to emulate. They see something in you they desire to have. They believe your advice is the avenue to its attainment.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would have crafted the OP differently.

Title: How Do You Feel About Personality Tests?
Text: Acknowledgement of personal experiences and a professional source.

Leading Question: What are the pros and cons of personality tests?

The question would allow the participant to weigh the topic from both sides. As it stands, the question is close-ended. You'll agree or disagree. It doesn't make the reader challenge their position.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Reactions: NerdGirl
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You presented an article. You expect the reader to reach the same conclusions you've drawn. To embrace the information and alter their mindset. But that isn't how change works. Nor was the article written for people who agree with the tests. That's not how content is created. You pitch it to the person who wants to hear the same.

You're presenting an opposing opinion to a group. They must believe in you to change their mind. That's how persuasion works. You'd need to establish a pattern of insight and solutions to encourage them to reconsider their position.

What's in it for them? Why should they listen to you? Sharing your experiences may sway some. But not all. :)

I get what you're saying. But I do this for a living. People often listen to those they want to emulate. They see something in you they desire to have. They believe your advice is the avenue to its attainment.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
No Bella. This thread turned into something it should not have been. I started to encourage some posters on this board that obviously feel locked into that test. Instead it turned into a debate about the validity of the test which has been proven is just for entertainment. I’m not trying to sell a bill of goods here. I’m making people aware they do not have to buy. I’ve said several times in this thread that I’d it makes one happy, then hang on to it. But just because I disregard these potions and formulas for what they are does not mean anything. It’s presenting facts. And just because I agree with those facts does not mean all must agree with me. People are going to cleave to what gives them comfort. I was trying to present what the professionals say. I know motivational speakers, etc love this stuff but one size does not fit all. I’ve stated my purpose through out this thread. So you have my intentions wrong. If it works for you and your mindset, great. I was concerned for those that felt trapped by it. It has turned out to be a very informative thread though but I’m disappointed in the instant defensiveness here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would have crafted the OP differently.

Title: How Do You Feel About Personality Tests?
Text: Acknowledgement of personal experiences and a professional source.

Leading Question: What are the pros and cons of personality tests?

The question would allow the participant to weigh the topic from both sides. As it stands, the question is close-ended. You'll agree or disagree. It doesn't make the reader challenge their position.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
It was a video presented by Vox news.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
People love to fit and categorize others into groups. Why is this meaningless quiz used as a valid topic of discussion on the internet and holds such popularity? It’s only for entertainment. This short video explains how this all works. I thought some might enjoy this info and feel somewhat freed by realizing this is not a valid way to identify one’s self and box yourself in. Climb out of that box! :)
3 minutes and 35 seconds.
People love to fit and categorize others into groups. Why is this meaningless quiz used as a valid topic of discussion on the internet and holds such popularity? It’s only for entertainment. This short video explains how this all works. I thought some might enjoy this info and feel somewhat freed by realizing this is not a valid way to identify one’s self and box yourself in. Climb out of that box! :)
3 minutes and 35 seconds.

I'm a fan of the Myers Briggs but this sort of thing is old news to me going back to the early 90s taking classes on Personality and Intelligence testing and measurements in my masters degree program in counseling psychology. It was long known even back then that Briggs was a horrible measurement of personality when it came to the mechanics etc. I think 1/4 of the people who take it and then retake it test out as another type etc. Which is really bad when it comes what you expect from tests based on statistics etc. Basically not reliable. And there are other issues too.

But what the Myers Briggs does give you is a kind of personality short hand, at least for people who seem to fit what their given type is. So its helpful in little ways especially when it comes to relating to people who are much different than you are etc.

But in terms of validity etc. probably everyone would be better off using this one trait test that Jordan Peterson and other are pushing, which measures something like 5 different traits that seem to present at birth that can be statistically verified

The 'big 5' personality traits and Peterson's programmes explained - Jordan Peterson | Jordan peterson, Big 5 personality, Deep thoughts

• Agree
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a fan of the Myers Briggs but this sort of thing is old news to me going back to the early 90s taking classes on Personality and Intelligence testing and measurements in my masters degree program in counseling psychology. It was long known even back then that Briggs was a horrible measurement of personality when it came to the mechanics etc. I think 1/4 of the people who take it and then retake it test out as another type etc. Which is really bad when it comes what you expect from tests based on statistics etc. Basically not reliable. And there are other issues too.

But what the Myers Briggs does give you is a kind of personality short hand, at least for people who seem to fit what their given type is. So its helpful in little ways especially when it comes to relating to people who are much different than you are etc.

But in terms of validity etc. probably everyone would be better off using this one trait test that Jordan Peterson and other are pushing, which measures something like 5 different traits that seem to present at birth that can be statistically verified

The 'big 5' personality traits and Peterson's programmes explained - Jordan Peterson | Jordan peterson, Big 5 personality, Deep thoughts
Yes I’ve read about that my main concern was those that felt defeated or locked in to such tests. There is no perfect, spot-on test but many are much better the M-B which is just entertainment. No test should dictate and be the determining factor in anyone’s life. Unfortunately, many seems to think so.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’m no Bella.

Who said anything about me? I provided an opinion like everyone else.

This thread turned into something it should not have been.

I'm not surprised. The title was provoking and the video reinforced it. That invites debate. Not discussion. The alternative I suggested was less inflammatory. You aren't challenging the reader. You're providing an opportunity to weigh the pros and cons for the tests.

I started to encourage some posters on this board that obviously feel locked into that test.

But you're addressing a diverse group. The title would naturally attract pro-MB members.

I’m not trying to sell a bill of goods here. I’m making people aware they do not have to buy. I’ve said several times in this thread that I’d it makes one happy, then hang on to it.

You seemed to challenge those who agreed with the test. Even when they shared personal experiences and acknowledged the benefits gained.

I’ve stated my purpose through out this thread. So you have my intentions wrong. If it works for you and your mindset, great. I was concerned for those that felt trapped by it. It has turned out to be a very informative thread though but I’m disappointed in the instant defensiveness here.

I don't know your intentions. I can only go by what's written. The challenges were directed to people who valued the tests. You reiterated your position in light of their response. More than once.

The OP is a statement. Not a question. People will agree or disagree. You dropped a gauntlet. It was bound to go this way. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Who said anything about me? I provided an opinion like everyone else.

I'm not surprised. The title was provoking and the video reinforced it. That invites debate. Not discussion. The alternative I suggested was less inflammatory. You aren't challenging the reader. You're providing an opportunity to weigh the pros and cons for the tests.

But you're addressing a diverse group. The title would naturally attract pro-MB members.

You seemed to challenge those who agreed with the test. Even when they shared personal experiences and acknowledged the benefits gained.

I don't know your intentions. I can only go by what's written. The challenges were directed to people who valued the tests. You reiterated your position in light of their response. More than once.

The OP is a statement. Not a question. People will agree or disagree. You dropped a gauntlet. It was bound to go this way. :)

Yours in His Service,

~bella
No, I disagree. I stated the purpose in the op and why I posted it. There was no gauntlet dropped. It’s there for all to read. Nobody needs to feel trapped by these tests. It’s entertainment.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.