May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Post your favorite MSM lies here, and I will continually update this opening post with a directory to each one. And then, when people try to say you can trust the MSM to have their information correct, simply point them to this thread. Heck, you could even link to this thread in your signature if you want!

Only a few ground rules:
  1. You must provide links to the lies and your proof.
  2. Tweets are not the "MSM".
  3. The "MSM" will be considered to be: ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox News, MSNBC, CNN*
  4. One lie at a time please.

That's it, the only rules. I chose the "American Politics" sub forum because I suspect the vast majority of lies are going to be political in nature, even if this opening post isn't necessarily political in and of itself. I also won't respond to posts in the thread much at all, unless I feel more information is required. Others are free to attempt to refute claims, but I won't do so myself.

*I may update this list based on your suggestions.

----------------------------------

Lies Directory
CNN adds word to Trump quote:
TrumpQuoteCNN

Fox News accuses Garland of voting for DC Gun Ban
GarlandDCGunBan

Last edited:

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Post your favorite MSM lies here, and I will continually update this opening post with a directory to each one. And then, when people try to say you can trust the MSM to have their information correct, simply point them to this thread. Heck, you could even link to this thread in your signature if you want!

Only a few ground rules:
  1. You must provide links to the lies.

That's it, the only rules. I chose the "American Politics" sub forum because I suspect the vast majority of lies are going to be political in nature, even if this opening post isn't necessarily political in and of itself. I also won't respond to posts in the thread much at all, unless I feel more information is required. Others are free to attempt to refute claims, but I won't do so myself.

Given Steve Bannons in the Whitehouse, you might want to include breitbart

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Only a few ground rules:
  1. You must provide links to the lies.

I suggest adding one more ground rule:

4. You must provide your evidence that the item is a lie. The evidence might be your own investigative reporting (give details where possible), or it might be a link to an article in a peer-reviewed journal, or something of similar quality.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rule 6: An error is not a lie. Not sure how to judge these.
If a retraction, correction or explanation is made, then not a lie. If the error is repeated, then it should count as a lie, I think.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Given Steve Bannons in the Whitehouse, you might want to include breitbart
For one thing, the thread is really for conservatives since they are the ones with the rallying call against the MSM. I threw Fox in there to offer a little perspective. But also, Breitbart doesn't have the kind of following to call it mainstream, I don't think.

4. You must provide your evidence that the item is a lie. The evidence might be your own investigative reporting (give details where possible), or it might be a link to an article in a peer-reviewed journal, or something of similar quality.
This is important, I will edit the OP to add it.
Rule 6: An error is not a lie. Not sure how to judge these.
Rule 7: Truthfully reporting someone else lying is not a lie. (this applies also to leaks)
If a retraction, correction or explanation is made, then not a lie. If the error is repeated, then it should count as a lie, I think.
No, I won't discriminate between errors and lies. But I won't count reporting other people's lies as MSM lies either. If Hillary lied during a debate, then Hillary is the source of the lie, and she is not on the approved list of MSM sources, for example.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,149,607.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
For one thing, the thread is really for conservatives since they are the ones with the rallying call against the MSM. I threw Fox in there to offer a little perspective. But also, Breitbart doesn't have the kind of following to call it mainstream, I don't think.

This is important, I will edit the OP to add it.

No, I won't discriminate between errors and lies. But I won't count reporting other people's lies as MSM lies either. If Hillary lied during a debate, then Hillary is the source of the lie, and she is not on the approved list of MSM sources, for example.
In terms of popularity, online apart from CNN Brightbart is more popular in the states than any of the msm you list.
Top Sites in United States - Alexa
It's currently no 29 of all sites.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Proving a person or news source knowingly lied, is very difficult. I think very few knowingly lie, they just emphasize certain facts of stories more to promote their ideology and or, jump on tid bits to promote certain stories, without adequately vetting the story.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In terms of popularity, online apart from CNN Brightbart is more popular in the states than any of the msm you list.
I didn't include anything that only has an online component though. Part of the claim about the MSM is that it reaches so many more people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Proving a person or news source knowingly lied, is very difficult. I think very few knowingly lie, they just emphasize certain facts of stories more to promote their ideology and or, jump on tid bits to promote certain stories, without adequately vetting the story.
Then the word "lie" shouldn't apply. I told someone else that I will gladly count "errors" as "lies" just to give plenty of leeway to show as many claims as possible. But unless a source says something that is factually incorrect, they have definitely not "lied", wouldn't you agree?

• Agree
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Then the word "lie" shouldn't apply. I told someone else that I will gladly count "errors" as "lies" just to give plenty of leeway to show as many claims as possible. But unless a source says something that is factually incorrect, they have definitely not "lied", wouldn't you agree?

Yes. Again, news sources can report incorrectly and or heavily skewed in one area without knowingly telling lies. This is why the National Inquirer survived for so long and rarely lost a law suit.

News sources can simply promote an ideology in more subtle ways; focusing more on selected facts and minimizing other facts. Not investigating stories as thoroughly, when the initial information available matches their ideology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Again, news sources can report incorrectly and or heavily skewed in one area without knowingly telling lies. This is why the National Inquirer survived for so long and rarely lost a law suit.
Really? I would have thought National Inquirer would have skated by on parody laws actually. I mean, Batboy is a lie, there's no skewing going on there. Much in the same way South Park gets away with saying anything they want about anyone.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really? I would have thought National Inquirer would have skated by on parody laws actually. I mean, Batboy is a lie, there's no skewing going on there. Much in the same way South Park gets away with saying anything they want about anyone.

No, you can't report what they have reported about people over the years and use a defense being parody news. Publications and news sources, are all experts on lible laws and they know what they need to do to protect themselves.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟448,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Breitbart, Drudge Report, Salon, Buzzfeed, etc. are far from MSM. I'd even throw out MSNBC because they are so open about their bias.

Just my opinion, but the value in this thread would come from highlighting disingenuous reporting from media outlets that seriously attempt to come across as neutral and unbiased. CNN and FoxNews are about as far out as I would see value going. Still lets you include Bloomberg, NPR, NY Times, Politico, BBC News, AP, Reuters, WS Journal, Reason, The Economist if you want to expand the list some - or you could leave it at the big 4 over the air networks and the largest cable providers and newspapers.

Upvote 0

Moral Orel

Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Breitbart, Drudge Report, Salon, Buzzfeed, etc. are far from MSM. I'd even throw out MSNBC because they are so open about their bias.

Just my opinion, but the value in this thread would come from highlighting disingenuous reporting from media outlets that seriously attempt to come across as neutral and unbiased. CNN and FoxNews are about as far out as I would see value going. Still lets you include Bloomberg, NPR, NY Times, Politico, BBC News, AP, Reuters, WS Journal, Reason, The Economist if you want to expand the list some - or you could leave it at the big 4 over the air networks and the largest cable providers and newspapers.
I might have to expand the list if the thread doesn't get some traffic from people who think the MSM lies. But I'll likely do that on a case by case basis from people with claims to share. I won't be shortening the list though.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,824.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Given how often we've heard that CNN is failing I don't think that's enough to make them mainstream.

Upvote 0