Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Marriage is a religious rite for the establishment of the basic family unit for the procreation and nuturing of the species in the sight of GOD.
What country do you live in?
Obviously not the United States of America, because here marriage is (strictly speaking) a legal institution. It is often decorated in religious trappings, but religion means absolutely nothing here in the USA, from a legal point of view in regard to marriage.
Nothing.
So, at least here in the USA, your assessment is wrong.
Please retract it.

And to say that it is for the "establishment of the basic family unit for the procreation and nuturing of the species" is a COMPLETE falsehood (yes, bold, red on purpose to make sure LN sees it and has no chance to ignore the point being made)

Under your narrow paradigm, women over the age of (say) 60 should not be allowed to marry, since their marriage is not for the "establishement of the basic family unit for the procreation...of the species". Most women that old can't procreate, so you would actually ban them, based on your personal opinion of what constitutes marriage, from ever marrying? Likewise, men who have had to undergo the removal of both testes (due to, say, testicular cancer) should no longer marry, as thy cannot marry for "the establishment of the basic family unit for procreation".
Are you really saying this?
I dont think you are
I think you just havent thought your statement through, because if you have, and you still agree with your statement, then you obviously disagree with women who are 60+ years getting married, and obviously against men who have had both testes removed getting married as well.

Have fun with that.

I don't even think Jesus would ban a 60+ year old widow from marrying, so I don't think you are speaking from an exegesis of your Bible. You seem to be just putting forth your opinion, and nothing more.

If you are doing that, then just say so. After all, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if that opinion (your statement above) is a flat out falsehood.

Upvote 0

Zeena

..called to BE a Saint
Jul 30, 2004
✟16,853.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Marriage was and is a Christian institution, but if people who are not Christian chose to partake, I do not judge. It is God who shall Judge.

People being labelled by people as homosexual when they are called to be free is quite another matter..

Jude 1:4
For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Homosexuality is CLEARLY sin, written as it is in Scripture.

Yet, the denizens of this world have no choice to be who they are, unless they repent of who they are and turn in faith by Grace to Christ Jesus for His Life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GIPh6gkMuI

Matthew 12:33
Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.

Upvote 0

ReverendDG

Defeater of Dad and AV1611VET
Sep 3, 2006
✟10,901.00
Faith
Pantheist
Politics
US-Others
Marriage was and is a Christian institution, but if people who are not Christian chose to partake, I do not judge. It is God who shall Judge.
judge what? that they aren't christians? doesn't the fact that people who are not christian get married undermine that its a "christian" institution by all logic?
repeating that christians own marriage over and over again doesn't make it true

People being labelled by people as homosexual when they are called to be free is quite another matter..

Jude 1:4
For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
what does this have to do with anything? please explain this, it just seems like you are trying to conflate something, but i'm not seeing it.
if its so clear why do so many people disagree with you? if it is a sin, god would say "thou shall not be homosexual!" but he doesn't, the bible doesn't make anything clear, its assuming you know already what its saying.

Yet, the denizens of this world have no choice to be who they are, unless they repent of who they are and turn in faith by Grace to Christ Jesus for His Life.
so you just basically contradicted yourself

Matthew 12:33
Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
why even bother posting that?
it seems wholly unneeded.
but i will say this, the anti-gay crowd show their own fruits via the demonizing and hate they spew at people who mean them no harm.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Zeena said:

Correction - marriage is tradition that pre-dates Christianity by both the Jews and the Pagans.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Correction - marriage is tradition that pre-dates Christianity by both the Jews and the Pagans.

Even more correction: Even after the establishment of Christianity, the church wasn't involved in marriages until hundreds of years later.

Upvote 0
B

BigBadWlf

Sorry, but the concept of marraige preceded Christianity by thousands of years
Even after the advent of Christianity, Christains considered marriage to be a civil arrangement largely between families until the middle ages. In 1245 Pope put the church into marriage but mainly as a record keeper, Christians recorded thier marriage with the church well after the fact. Priests didn't perform marriages for several hundred years after that, and then never in the church itself. Marriage was considered to be a "necessary evil" becuawse it implied the church was condoning sexual activity. Therfore, once priests started officaiting marriages, all marraiges took place outside of the church itself even after marraige became a Christian sacrement in the late 1500's. Marraiges didn't mive inside the curch until around 1800.

Ref:
David G. Hunter, ed., Marriage in the Early Church
Philip Lyndon Reynolds, Marriage in the Western Church: The Christianization of Marriage During the Patristic and Early Medieval Periods

labelled?

Sorry again - but that is your persoanl interpertation and nothing more

you mean lie about who they are

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Marriage is a religious rite for the establishment of the basic family unit for the procreation and nuturing of the species in the sight of GOD.
So you don't want infertile people or elderly people to get married, then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So you honestly think that no one got married before Christ was born?

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0