Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I like bunny rabbits but I never told my kids that the Easter Bunny was coming.

I sort of did because of the tradition my mom past to me but I was never comfortable with it. I've noticed that the whole family seems to have dropped the bunny thing. I did get plastic eggs fill them with candy and let the older grand kids help the little ones find them. Problem is we didn't count them before we put them out .....:scratch:

We have in the past put different elements of the atonement in the plastic eggs, a nail, a thorn, a silver coin, a rock, a small piece of cloth for his robe, a passage of scripture and then an empty one for his tomb. Then as the kids found them we would talk about the importance of each item.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Did you actually watch the videos lined? There were no bunnies or eggs.

Seen the videos. I hope you don't subscribe to the idea that Jesus is a Caucasian hippie. But that is for art's sake.

Jane, when's the last time you prayed to the Easter bunny?

Sure you don't have eggs and bunnies but still you celebrate Easter - which you don't even know its origins why Easter is celebrated by other so called Christians.

The guy in the 3 Mormons acknowledge this - first 14 seconds of the video.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seen the videos. I hope you don't subscribe to the idea that Jesus is a Caucasian hippie. But that is for art's sake.

Sure you don't have eggs and bunnies but still you celebrate Easter - which you don't even know its origins why Easter is celebrated by other so called Christians.

The guy in the 3 Mormons acknowledge this - first 14 seconds of the video.

You are very superstitious. Have you seen any Aswang lately

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
And there are no bunnies. Do you find anything in these videos actual religious videos about the religious purpose of celebration to be objectionable?

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And there are no bunnies. Do you find anything in these videos actual religious videos about the religious purpose of celebration to be objectionable?

Its like watching a tidy Passions of the Christ of Mel Gibson. So tidy that the depiction of your Jesus bled a little.

Then your President said Easter is true - now that is what you should find out. Open your encyclopedia because Easter is not something that you can find in the bible.

Upvote 0

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its like watching a tidy Passions of the Christ of Mel Gibson. So tidy that the depiction of your Jesus bled a little.

Then your President said Easter is true - now that is what you should find out. Open your encyclopedia because Easter is not something that you can find in the bible.

Is it the word Easter which you object to or is that you reject the atonement of Jesus?

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is it the word Easter which you object to or is that you reject the atonement of Jesus?

I reject Easter. Told you my dear @withwonderingawe to open any encyclopedia to find out.

Easter - Wikipedia

The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern Dutch ooster and German Ostern, developed from an Old Englishword that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 3] The most widely accepted theory of the origin of the term is that it is derived from the name of an Old English goddess mentioned by the 7th to 8th-century English monk Bede, who wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".[22]

Ēostre - Wikipedia

LDS President Thomas Spencer Monson (in the last part of the video) said - "Easter is true...."

Yeah right if you are a pagan and believing in the goddess Ēostre - that is where Easter was named for in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
I reject Easter. Told you my dear @withwonderingawe to open any encyclopedia to find out.

Easter - Wikipedia

The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern Dutch ooster and German Ostern, developed from an Old Englishword that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 3] The most widely accepted theory of the origin of the term is that it is derived from the name of an Old English goddess mentioned by the 7th to 8th-century English monk Bede, who wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".[22]

Ēostre - Wikipedia

LDS President Thomas Spencer Monson (in the last part of the video) said - "Easter is true...."

Yeah right if you are a pagan and believing in the goddess Ēostre - that is where Easter was named for in the first place.
So you're objecting to a word and not the actual thing LDS are celebrating?

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That's an incredibly silly thing to base your objections on, as most languages other than German and English in which there is a word for Easter have a form of Pascha (from the Greek, which itself a form of the Hebrew Pesach, "Passover"). Hence Paskha (Russian), Pasxa (Azeri), Paskalya (Turkish), Pascua (Spanish), Pasaka (Swahili), Pazko (Basque), Fasika (Amharic), al-Fasih (Arabic; or "Baskha", as we call it in the Coptic Orthodox Church), etc. See the following: Names of Easter - Wikipedia

There are exceptions to this (like in the West Slavic languages, or some one-offs like Għid in Maltese, Aghdgomis in Georgian, or the Hungarian form you can read about in the link), but those aren't related to 'Easter', either. So it's silly to oppose the holiday because of a word that most people around the world don't even use to refer to it.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's an incredibly silly thing to base your objections on, as most languages other than German and English in which there is a word for Easter have a form of Pascha (from the Greek, which itself a form of the Hebrew Pesach, "Passover"). Hence Paskha (Russian), Pasxa (Azeri), Paskalya (Turkish), Pascua (Spanish), Pasaka (Swahili), Pazko (Basque), Fasika (Amharic), al-Fasih (Arabic; or "Baskha", as we call it in the Coptic Orthodox Church), etc. See the following: Names of Easter - Wikipedia

There are exceptions to this (like in the West Slavic languages, or some one-offs like Għid in Maltese, Aghdgomis in Georgian, or the Hungarian form you can read about in the link), but those aren't related to 'Easter', either. So it's silly to oppose the holiday because of a word that most people around the world don't even use to refer to it.

What comes close? East-er

images

Old English Eōstre continues into modern English as Easter and derives from Proto-Germanic *austrōn meaning 'dawn', itself a descendent of the Proto-Indo-Europeanroot *aus-, meaning 'to shine' (modern English east also derives from this root)

Pascha, Passover are so different that etymology or where the word came from and the celebration came from is really from Eōstre

Ēostre - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

withwonderingawe

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2015
Salem Ut
✟161,549.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Easter - Wikipedia

The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern Dutch ooster and German Ostern, developed from an Old English word that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre.[nb 3] The most widely accepted theory of the origin of the term is that it is derived from the name of an Old English goddess mentioned by the 7th to 8th-century English monk Bede, who wrote that Ēosturmōnaþ (Old English 'Month of Ēostre', translated in Bede's time as "Paschal month") was an English month, corresponding to April, which he says "was once called after a goddess of theirs named Ēostre, in whose honour feasts were celebrated in that month".[22]

Ēostre - Wikipedia

Well then you are just being silly, it's not some goddess we are celebrating but the Jewish Passover which just happens to fall in a month named after an English goddess. The Passover is celebrated because on that night the Lord caused all first born males to die in Egypt unless they had a swipe of lamb's blood over their door. Jesus is God the Father's firstborn and his Lamb. His blood covers us and we are freed from death, both spiritual and physical. Death has lost it's sting.

The word April comes from the Latin Aprills which means to open, the flowers open in April. It however is attached to a Greek goddess named Aphroite whose feast were celebrated during the early spring. Are you worshiping Aphroite every time you say the word April?

You need to understand Western history and langue goes back thousands and thousands of years. To be English makes one a bit of everything European. The Romans started their conquest of England in 43 ad bringing Latin, reading and eventually Christianity. Over a thousand years of being invaded by succeeding armies the month of Ēastrun became April. The celebration of this goddess was replaced with the celebration of our Lord's atonement but the name stuck.

Ya know what I love Halloween, it's got paganism stamped all over it. It goes back to Celtic folklore of the spirits coming one day out of the year to visit their old homes and families. Once Christianity came to the Celtics it became All Hallows' Eve, and a time to remember the saints. Of course we Americans found away to sell candy and costumes.

Nobody here is worshiping Easter, she is long forgotten. We worship and praise our Lord for bringing about the atonement, now enough of this subject and on to something more interesting.

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you celebrate Christ's atonement and resurrection?

We do not celebrate, we remember his suffering and resurrection. What we have yearly is the Holy Supper.

Luke 22:19
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

Well then you are just being silly, it's not some goddess we are celebrating but the Jewish Passover which just happens to fall in a month named after an English goddess. The Passover is celebrated because on that night the Lord caused all first born males to die in Egypt unless they had a swipe of lamb's blood over their door. Jesus is God the Father's firstborn and his Lamb. His blood covers us and we are freed from death, both spiritual and physical. Death has lost it's sting.

The word April comes from the Latin Aprills which means to open, the flowers open in April. It however is attached to a Greek goddess named Aphroite whose feast were celebrated during the early spring. Are you worshiping Aphroite every time you say the word April?

You need to understand Western history and langue goes back thousands and thousands of years. To be English makes one a bit of everything European. The Romans started their conquest of England in 43 ad bringing Latin, reading and eventually Christianity. Over a thousand years of being invaded by succeeding armies the month of Ēastrun became April. The celebration of this goddess was replaced with the celebration of our Lord's atonement but the name stuck.

Ya know what I love Halloween, it's got paganism stamped all over it. It goes back to Celtic folklore of the spirits coming one day out of the year to visit their old homes and families. Once Christianity came to the Celtics it became All Hallows' Eve, and a time to remember the saints. Of course we Americans found away to sell candy and costumes.

Nobody here is worshiping Easter, she is long forgotten. We worship and praise our Lord for bringing about the atonement, now enough of this subject and on to something more interesting.

But Americans and European scholars said Easter came from Ēostre (104 references) They cited historical facts.

upload_2017-4-20_22-8-42.jpeg

The modern English term Easter, cognate with modern Dutch ooster and German Ostern, developed from an Old English word that usually appears in the form Ēastrun, -on, or -an; but also as Ēastru, -o; and Ēastre or Ēostre

upload_2017-4-20_22-5-4.jpeg

Easter - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

MJFlores

Mar 22, 2017
Philippines
✟19,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0