The more education I get, the less decisive I become

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Some of the things they teach in schools leads people farther away from God, unfortunately. And that is by intelligent design

It is not the job of any school to lead their students either towards or away from any god, regardless of which one you choose.

We can see, all round the world, what happens when schools assist in 'leading' their children to god/s.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
but if the soul is starved, dying, dead, it doesn't profit anyone.
Well I have a few brothers in mind. A lot of their happiness is from being a good parent in a family that cares for each other.(has kids and grandkids) A Christian might say they are too secular as they hardly ever go to Church. They lead simple lives without worrying about the big questions too much. They live very much in the here and now. My feeling is that God would not judge them too harshly at all. But back to my point, they live decisive simple lives. They don't intellectualise, which is one of my weaknesses that leads to indecision.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
They don't intellectualise, which is one of my weaknesses that leads to indecision.

Weakness?? It might be a strength! ;)

Proverbs 14:15
The simple believe anything, but the prudent give thought to their steps.

• Friendly
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There is some truth in this. I look at my siblings who are decisive and pragmatic, they have less education.

I understand the sentiment. I think when one truly begins to study a particular field...and realizes the depth of knowledge that's already been achieved within that field...there's often a realization at the vastness of knowledge across all fields and a better understanding of just how much one personally doesn't know.

It tends to lend more credence to experts within fields of study and an appreciation for those who are truly scholars or researchers within their respective fields.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Well I have a few brothers in mind. A lot of their happiness is from being a good parent in a family that cares for each other.(has kids and grandkids) A Christian might say they are too secular as they hardly ever go to Church. They lead simple lives without worrying about the big questions too much. They live very much in the here and now. My feeling is that God would not judge them too harshly at all. But back to my point, they live decisive simple lives. They don't intellectualise, which is one of my weaknesses that leads to indecision.
There´s a need and place for both, and we are best off acknowledging and embracing our differences.

• Agree
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I am more certain now I have "my" meaining of life, which is rational attraction to existence or being.

I used on the other hand to be an extreme existentialist - you can face meaningledssness in any way you like to.

Theres a saying "its an ill battle where the devil leads the way".

I am better off now, slightly, although the principle i have is very general it still gives a little light.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there is anything wrong with education, so long as it is based on the principles of Gods word. A preacher used to say that educating an unsaved person just turns them into a clever devil.
I met several of those clever devils in college and let me assure you-that the are very clever indeed. However, they aren't clever enough to prevent conveying the image of buffoonery dressed up to seem respectable or of a donkey who has swallowed a load of books.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is some truth in this. I look at my siblings who are decisive and pragmatic, they have less education.
The academic approach is to understand what other people have done so you can build upon it. This is utilizing wisdom and making progress. It lends itself to encouraging humility if one sees himself as a part of a greater effort. Indecisiveness is a personality trait, but being thorough because of what one knows is wisdom.

Somewhat out of context comment:

But this is not how one gets to know Jesus. Interacting with Jesus is how you get to know Jesus. He is a living being, not a conglomeration of people's opinions about who he is or what he said. Work toward being a follower of Jesus and not a follower of mens' thoughts about Jesus. Love the Lord himself with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength, not what people have written about him, and this even includes Scripture. Scripture is a revelation of God, but it is not God himself. God can tell you what the temperature will be tomorrow, but the Bible cannot.

But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. (John 16:13, 1984 NIV)

Nor are you to be called ‘teacher,’ for you have one Teacher, the Christ. (Matthew 23:10, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Formal education for most is more of a rite of passage than a valuable intellectual, or learning, experience. Formal education may be the basis of fundamental knowledge but experience over time is still the best teacher.

Regarding Bertrand Russell's quote, most people lie somewhere between those two extremes. The "whole problem" isn't those fanatics and wise, but the human nature of all. (You can quote me on that. :preach:)

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there is anything wrong with education, so long as it is based on the principles of Gods word. A preacher used to say that educating an unsaved person just turns them into a clever devil.
Ok, but your view on that isn't a reason for someone who disagrees with you to not get an education. It's not important to me whether or not my education was based on the principles of Christianity. It's my education, not yours.

• Winner
Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok, but your view on that isn't a reason for someone who disagrees with you to not get an education. It's not important to me whether or not my education was based on the principles of Christianity. It's my education, not yours.

I think those who are paying for the education of others should have a part in deciding the curriculum, and if students want to learn something else they should pay for it themselves. Beggars shouldn't be allowed to be choosers. :D

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think those who are paying for the education of others should have a part in deciding the curriculum, and if students want to learn something else they should pay for it themselves. Beggars shouldn't be allowed to be choosers. :D
How is that a logical criticism of what I said? What beggars? Apply my statement to the parents, then. His beliefs are not a reason for non-Christian parents to decide that their children shouldn't receive an education.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How is that a logical criticism of what I said? What beggars? Apply my statement to the parents, then. His beliefs are not a reason for non-Christian parents to decide that their children shouldn't receive an education.

It was a general comment, not aimed at anyone in particular.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, being decisive and pragmatic in themselves don't tell you much. Trump is decisive and pragmatic, but his decisions and pragmatism represent lots of nonsense (save exceptions like infrastructure spending).

The more educated you become, the easier it is to get lost in the skycastle of ideas the neocortex offers. This leads in the extreme to acedemicians, whom Ken Robinson described as being decapitated heads, i.e., not connected to their bodies, senses, "gut" (intuition), etc. This isn't intrinsic to learning, but a type of learning that's theoretical rather than applied. Many fields, such as economics, view application subsets of their schools as the bottom of the barrel, while they continue creating neoclassical ultracomplicated mathematical models that help precipitate a 2008 meltdown.

We should be teaching somatic intelligence alongside "usual" intelligence. Adding mindfulness meditation alongside reading assignments of Plato. That would help people to be more pragmatic and decisive without being superficial.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, being decisive and pragmatic in themselves don't tell you much. Trump is decisive and pragmatic, but his decisions and pragmatism represent lots of nonsense (save exceptions like infrastructure spending).

The more educated you become, the easier it is to get lost in the skycastle of ideas the neocortex offers. This leads in the extreme to acedemicians, whom Ken Robinson described as being decapitated heads, i.e., not connected to their bodies, senses, "gut" (intuition), etc. This isn't intrinsic to learning, but a type of learning that's theoretical rather than applied. Many fields, such as economics, view application subsets of their schools as the bottom of the barrel, while they continue creating neoclassical ultracomplicated mathematical models that help precipitate a 2008 meltdown.

We should be teaching somatic intelligence alongside "usual" intelligence. Adding mindfulness meditation alongside reading assignments of Plato. That would help people to be more pragmatic and decisive without being superficial.

Agreed. American education seems bent on isolating it's student from reality as much as possible. That's why we should restrict student loans in favor of summer jobs for these kids. It might be the only reality they experience for decades.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The more educated you become, the easier it is to get lost in the skycastle of ideas the neocortex offers
I see it on Internet forums too. The ones who can dominate Internet forums are often then ones who are minnows in the real world.

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. American education seems bent on isolating it's student from reality as much as possible. That's why we should restrict student loans in favor of summer jobs for these kids. It might be the only reality they experience for decades.

Assuming the Summer jobs pay $25 an hour, I agree. Otherwise, that would be bad.

Upvote 0