Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The statements adopted by the First US Regional Meeting of Popular Movements are, for the most part, fairly predictable leftist boilerplate: a condemnation of President Trump, a focus on the evils of racism and exploitation, a claim that the few are growing rich on the suffering of the many. Nothing we haven't heard before.

What makes the Modesto statement noteworthy is that it is the product of s meeting organized, promoted, and subsidized by the Catholic Church. Co-sponsored by the Vatican's new dicastery for Integral Human Development with the US bishops' Catholic Campaign for Human Deveopment (CCHD), it was run by PICO: a leftist group that has recieved generous support from the CCHD (that is, from the people in the pews). A few dozen Catholic bishops attended, including Cardinal Peter Turkson, a leading official of the Roman Curia; Pope Francis sent a message of encouragement.

Continued below.
The Modesto Statement: playing politics, bishops are conned again

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Here is an article on the same subject from the Catholic News Service. This is more objective reporting, free of editorializing and value judgments.

Pumped up by pope, anti-poverty advocates joining Vatican summit in Calif.

Campbell-Williams will be one of 600 people — whom the pope calls protagonists, meaning people facing everyday struggles — from throughout the United States attending a regional World Meeting of Popular Movements Feb. 16-19 in Modesto, California. The meeting is co-sponsored by the Vatican’s Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development; the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, the U.S. bishops’ domestic anti-poverty program; and PICO National Network, which engages in religious congregation-based community organizing.

The U.S. meeting is being planned at the request of Pope Francis. Cardinal Peter Turkson, dicastery prefect, will attend the meeting and address the delegates.

More than 20 U.S. bishops also are expected to attend and participate in plenary and small-group sessions over the four days, said Ralph McCloud, CCHD executive director.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The statements adopted by the First US Regional Meeting of Popular Movements are, for the most part, fairly predictable leftist boilerplate: a condemnation of President Trump, a focus on the evils of racism and exploitation, a claim that the few are growing rich on the suffering of the many. Nothing we haven't heard before.
They said this in their 'Message From Modesto':
Racism and all forms of human hierarchy, whether based on skin color, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, arrest and conviction records, immigration status, religion or ethnicity are immoral.
Message from Modesto - World Meeting of Popular Movements

Read that through again slowly. This Vatican and USCCB sponsored meeting just condemned the Catholic hierarchy that sponsored it. Don't the two dozen bishops in attendance have a clue what they have sponsored and endorsed and promoted? Have the Vatican and the USCCB gone mad? Or do they just not read what they sign?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think you misunderstand the words "human hierarchy."
And I think two dozen Catholic bishops were dupes to put their names to this document. They should be embarrassed.

I found the rest of the document to be an expression of rage. Let's all have a revolution to unseat [insert unspeakables here] Trump. To the extent that this document is also an expression of the Catholic Church, and it gives every pretense of being so, I guess I'll have to fall back on this not being an infallible document of the Church and how I can follow my conscience and cast it aside as not relevant. Far weightier things, like the encyclical Humanae Vitae, have been cast aside by weighty theologians like Gregory Baum.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As Matthew 21:12 shows, even Jesus showed justifiable anger at those who put profits before God--and their fellow human beings.

The Modesto statement is a good way for people who, alone, feel exploited and helpless. It allows them to take their justifiable anger (or rage, if you prefer) into empowerment. In unity there is strength.

When I went with three friends to a Senator's town hall, the energy we felt being with 2200 other people who shared our values was empowering and exciting.

And as one Republican governor told his fellow Republicans: “Those who are opposed and concerned are very expressive, they’re very intense, and as we know in politics, intensity makes a difference.”

Bring the intensity on! God bless these 20 bishops and their cause.

• Optimistic
Reactions: eastcoast_bsc
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
quote: "
The Modesto statement is a good way for people who, alone, feel exploited and helpless. It allows them to take their justifiable anger (or rage, if you prefer) into empowerment. In unity there is strength."

there is just one problem with doing that; by what authority do they co-op that power?

this is not a new idea at all. We find in Genesis that satan urged Eve to follow exactly the same course of action, with Adam in agreement. And look where it got them!

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

What makes the Modesto statement noteworthy is that it is the product of s meeting organized, promoted, and subsidized by the Catholic Church. Co-sponsored by the Vatican's new dicastery for Integral Human Development with the US bishops' Catholic Campaign for Human Deveopment (CCHD), it was run by PICO: a leftist group that has recieved generous support from the CCHD (that is, from the people in the pews). A few dozen Catholic bishops attended, including Cardinal Peter Turkson, a leading official of the Roman Curia; Pope Francis sent a message of encouragement.

Continued below.
The Modesto Statement: playing politics, bishops are conned again

I was going to reply to the original post on the "popular movement". But it would have elicited the usual response from the usual suspects.

I will say it once. This is liberation theology repackaged and reintroduced for public consumption.

The only difference is that they now have deeper connections in the church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe in a wall (do you know that 40% of undocumented immigrants arrive in the U.S. on passports or temporary visas and just overstay their visit?)

I think that a system similar to the U.S.-Canadian border would be adequate. The dictionary definition of "open borders" includes limited restrictions, and that is what I would approve of.

Bear in mind that there are domestic terrorists living in the hills all around these parts. Ain't nobody doing nothing about them.

Once, when I told a lady from church about teaching piano to the daughter of a domestic terrorist, she told me that her father-in-law was a domestic terorist. Her husband had disowned the family years ago. Her father-in-law, too, was a friend of Nichols and McVeigh.

Obviously they're more common around these parts than some people think. Silly things, they think they're just people exercising their second amendment rights.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As Matthew 21:12 shows, even Jesus showed justifiable anger at those who put profits before God--and their fellow human beings.
This isn't the 'justifiable anger' of Jesus, but rage, hatred, animosity. That's what the Modesto Statement conveyed. Lets all do class warfare, race warfare. Burn, loot, break, kill.
The Modesto statement is a good way for people who, alone, feel exploited and helpless. It allows them to take their justifiable anger (or rage, if you prefer) into empowerment. In unity there is strength.
Burn, loot, break, kill. Let's do a Ferguson and burn everything down. That is bogus empowerment, it harms neighborhoods, poor folk just barely making it as it is, law abiding people who haven't signed on to this agenda but would like the police to do something about murders right down the street.
When I went with three friends to a Senator's town hall, the energy we felt being with 2200 other people who shared our values was empowering and exciting.
That sort of desire to have a revolution is going to hurt a lot of people. If you are really sure you want that revolution even after counting the cost in other people's lives, go for it. That is what the Modesto Statement is all about. It will be an ugly revolution.
Bring the intensity on! God bless these 20 bishops and their cause.
They are at best rubes, if not willing accomplices. The Church did away with Liberation Theology once, and now it rears it's ugly head again.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
In the first place, I have no idea if you carry a gun or not.

But I do worry when people with unsubstantiated misconceptions they sincerely believe to be true are gunning for liberals--hopefully figuratively.

You could probably show me a road map of how you got from point A to point B, filled with sources I believe are fake but that you give credence to.

In any case, I thought I had taken pains to make that a theoretical statement, not a targeted one, and I apologize.

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,182.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
MOD HAT ON
images

This thread has undergone a clean up
Please refrain from flaming others who don't share your views
Abide by the sitewide rules
Have a good day
MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums