Montgomery
✟141,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So as far as you're concerned, there is only beliefs, ie: yours and everyone else's, science: a belief, atheism: a belief, Christianity: a belief, rocks existing: a belief, air we breathe: a belief, etc, etc ..?

Its all beliefs and nothing else.
As far as I'm concerned what you believe is your business. A rock is a rock. Air is air.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
How did the fish get in the river that started with a raindrop?

Maybe first address the trivially obvious fact that highly complex systems spontaneously arise from chaos, before, you know,
skipping ahead to abio.

On that last, neither of us has anything authoritative to say, though
I'd say it's a certainty that once life did start, a " fish" of some sort
is inevitably going to appear sooner or later.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe first address the trivially obvious fact that highly complex systems spontaneously arise from chaos, before, you know, skipping ahead to abio.
Hyper chemical dovetailing.
  1. hyper handles the spontaneity
  2. chemical handles the systems
  3. dovetailing handles the complexity

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe first address the trivially obvious fact that highly complex systems spontaneously arise from chaos, before, you know,
skipping ahead to abio.

On that last, neither of us has anything authoritative to say, though
I'd say it's a certainty that once life did start, a " fish" of some sort
is inevitably going to appear sooner or later.
So there are some things we don't know?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What about the things I don't believe? The same applies
Agreed.

So what about the beliefs I choose to throw aside so as to not form the basis of the meaning I choose to apply to the word 'reality'? Is the remaining meaning for that word also, somehow, not my business?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed.

So what about the beliefs I choose to throw aside so as to not form the basis of the meaning I choose to apply to the word 'reality'? Is the remaining meaning for that word also, somehow, not my business?
What you choose to do, to believe or not to believe is none of my business. What you believe about reality does not change it but you can believe whatever you want to about it or whatever you don't want to believe about it. I think this dead mule has been beat enough now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
What you choose to do, to believe or not to believe is none of my business. What you believe about reality does not change it but you can believe whatever you want to about it or whatever you don't want to believe about it.
I choose to avoid letting any beliefs I may have on the topic of objective reality, not dilute its consistency.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟141,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
.. and what could be a better link to cite for demonstrating scientific consistency as being a reliable baseline for showing how beliefs are misleading when it comes to distinguishing what objective reality means?
Thanks for the supporting evidence.
No problem. Someone else could come to a completely different conclusion.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
No problem. Someone else could come to a completely different conclusion.
The impact of assumptions about the contexts in which the respective measurements are taken, are still open to various (human) interpretations.

What I see happening in the Wigner's friend thought experiment, is two different humans making calls which subtly, (and likely), depend on different, but equally, valid assumptions.
Each are then inferring their own respective meanings for 'what the reality is' from those.

Generalizing about the differences in the outcomes, we already know that different minds think in slightly different ways: (for eg) what 'a rock is' to one person, can well be 'a boulder' to another .. with each person there, having their own valid objective reasons.
Regardless of those differences though, there is *zip* objective evidence that either 'a rock' or 'a boulder' actually exists independently from either of those obviously human minds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.