Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really had no idea where to post this, so I picked the best I could...

This is discussing Christian stereotypes or perhaps breaking stereotypes in this case...I had come across a small town church in my area. There was an article about it saying that it was bar turned church.

From the photos, some of them look like they just got of jail, ink that cover every inch of their bodies. The Pastor is of the same look, and on top of that gauge ear rings. Sleeve tats, tats across the chest, you name it. Muscle shirts are worn, etc. The wife, suprisingly, no visible ink and quite classy looking.

I think this is the bad boy look that other Christian women are looking for? lol

Dress like a bad boy, but be like a Christian. Forget the pleated Dockers, deck shoes, and polo shirt...because I would not fit in if I decided to pay them a visit.

Not your typical Sunday best.

The church says they are of the non-denom variety, very small, and a former bar.

But, isn't that the general idea. The article mentioned that quite a few of their parents have DUI's under their belts, drug users, trying to turn their lives around.

It was rather jarring to have come across this, as this doesn't seem to be the typical Christian that most of us are used to.

Do you know of any places like this? Would you go to their services?

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

This is discussing Christian stereotypes or perhaps breaking stereotypes in this case...I had come across a small town church in my area. There was an article about it saying that it was bar turned church.

From the photos, some of them look like they just got of jail, ink that cover every inch of their bodies. The Pastor is of the same look, and on top of that gauge ear rings. Sleeve tats, tats across the chest, you name it. Muscle shirts are worn, etc. The wife, suprisingly, no visible ink and quite classy looking.

I think this is the bad boy look that other Christian women are looking for? lol

Dress like a bad boy, but be like a Christian. Forget the pleated Dockers, deck shoes, and polo shirt...because I would not fit in if I decided to pay them a visit.

The church says they are of the non-denom variety, very small, and a former bar.

But, isn't that the general idea. The article mentioned that quite a few of their parents have DUI's under their belts, drug users, trying to turn their lives around.

It was rather jarring to have come across this, as this doesn't seem to be the typical Christian that most of us are used to.

Christian is person who has accepted Jesus Christ does not matter how he looks like . There are plenty of interviews on youtube from former Rock and Metal worshippers tattoed all over thier bodies but gave thier life to Christ when they hit 30-40 years old . Not everybody is born in family with Christian values to guide him from child some people go through these types of stuff .

Church is people by the way not building , if you want to go back to the roots of Christianity it was gathering of people as one big family in somebody's house where everybody would speak word of God , prophecy and sing .

Nowdays typicall service is one man ( pastor or priest ) talking and doing ceremony , choir or some guitar music , 45 min every sunday and end . There is no fellowship with one another just like strangers going into that building to watch spectacle every week .

They did not have suits either but some rags too .

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe not that particular Church, but I would go to Reformed Baptist Pastor Jeff Durbin's Church (Apologia Ministries, he has a Youtube channel also). He has some tattoos, daily reminders I suppose of his past and where he came from, of a past that God saved him from. At times when speaking he dresses formal and other times more casual or informal. His testimony is quite amazing to listen to, and I have no doubt he is a true man of God.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christian is person who has accepted Jesus Christ does not matter how he looks like . There are plenty of interviews on youtube from former Rock and Metal worshippers tattoed all over thier bodies but gave thier life to Christ when they hit 30-40 years old . Not everybody is born in family with Christian values to guide him from child some people go through these types of stuff .

Church is people by the way not building , if you want to go back to the roots of Christianity it was gathering of people as one big family in somebody's house where everybody would speak word of God , prophecy and sing .

Nowdays typicall service is one man ( pastor or priest ) talking and doing ceremony , choir or some guitar music , 45 min every sunday and end . There is no fellowship with one another just like strangers going into that building to watch spectacle every week .

I was also wondering, I think churches are finding ways to appeal to the modern audience. Typically the younger audience.

Like when Christian rock came out, and now we're seeing them in a lot of the modern churches. Now we see bands in lieu of organ/choirs these days. I am thinking certain churches are trying to appeal to certain sub cultures as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe not that particular Church, but I would go to Reformed Baptist Pastor Jeff Durbin's Church (Apologia Ministries, he has a Youtube channel also). He has some tattoos, daily reminders I suppose of his past and where he came from, of a past that God saved him from. At times when speaking he dresses formal and other times more casual or informal. His testimony is quite amazing to listen to, and I have no doubt he is a true man of God.
Hi; great quotes there from Toplady and Whitfield! :)

Tattoos aren't unusual, whatever one may think of them; I saw a quote from the Bible Belt which shows their prevalence in churches there.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's a church which I imagine is similar to what you describe. It's on I70 (somewhere between Indiana and Pennsylvania) and caters to bikers. I wouldn't question their authenticity, but I wouldn't go there. It's good that there are places like this that make some folks feel welcome. That's just not for me, though.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When people still show their tattoos etc and continue to dress in the manner of thugs I am lead to wondering just how "former" they truly are.
I'm agree with you and that whilst we should never judge on how someone looks our looks are what people SEE first.
And I would find that church intimidating I think.
I would prefer everyone together in Christ rather than what they wear or what their "look" is.
I don't really like the concept of say a "bikie church" or whatever, church is church and it is also not only the conservative people that can be prejudiced in dress code, it can work the other way too.
I think the modern church has gotten into most of its trouble by being too worldly and accommodating trying to "attract" rather than standing on the Word and truth.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm agree with you and that whilst we should never judge on how someone looks our looks are what people SEE first.
I would prefer everyone together in Christ rather than what they wear or what their "look" is.
I don't really like the concept of say a "bikie church" or whatever, church is church and it is also not only the conservative people that can be prejudiced in dress code, it can work the other way too.
I think the modern church has gotten into most of its trouble by being too worldly and accommodating trying to "attract" rather than standing on the Word and truth.

I think that people forget that we are supposed to be the Temple of God, and so should not dress in a manner unbefitting that status (ie: crass, scruffy, tacky, vulgar, overly showy, etc). The traditional sober conservative appearance is I think the closest approximation to that in modern society (so for men that means a subdued suit and tie, for example).

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,463.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, I recently saw someone advertised that they are looking for jobs for their congregation. She admittedly stated, "Is there anyone looking to hire those that have a DUI record?" Some have substance abuse issues, so they'd flunk a drug test obviously.

I mean God bless her for doing so though, but not my kind of crowd. I'm not of the "Sons of Anarchy" variety.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there are a lot of people with tattoos where we live
or else am just noticing it more

have noticed people in church with tattoos as well as parents picking up kids at school
often whole arms so can't help but notice
we had the warmest May on record so people not wearing long sleeves

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Apologetic_Warrior PS: This is the quote I saw, FYI:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It really isn't at all unusual. In recent decades it's opened up hugely for women, although it used to be a man thing.

(I like the Calvin medallion! :) )

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree. It's what the person is inwardly and spiritually that should be the focus, spiritually; what Paul calls the 'inner man'.

(When it comes to stuff like tattoos, etc., it's so widespread that the mere fact of having/not having some ink doesn't 'prove' anything, one way or another.)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Tattoos aren't unusual, whatever one may think of them; I saw a quote from the Bible Belt of the US which shows their prevalence in churches there.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
there are a lot of people with tattoos where we live
or else am just noticing it more

have noticed people in church with tattoos as well as parents picking up kids at school
often whole arms so can't help but notice
we had the warmest May on record so people not wearing long sleeves
Yes, and in our area in the supermarkets as well the check-out staff's tattoos pop up in May with the short sleeves and disappear around September.

If you get to know someone during the winter you often have to wait until May until it's evident whether they have visible tattoos (faith based or otherwise).

• Agree
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

soombing

Daniel • Amateur Photographer
Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm agree with you and that whilst we should never judge on how someone looks our looks are what people SEE first. And I would find that church intimidating I think. I would prefer everyone together in Christ rather than what they wear or what their "look" is. I don't really like the concept of say a "bikie church" or whatever, church is church and it is also not only the conservative people that can be prejudiced in dress code, it can work the other way too. I think the modern church has gotten into most of its trouble by being too worldly and accommodating trying to "attract" rather than standing on the Word and truth.

Agreed.

Upvote 0