Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I would like to visit an Adventist church but I might have a major disagreement with Adventism.

I believe that the millenial kingdom will be on earth after a post-tribulation rapture, rather than in heaven.

Are Adventists allowed to have difference of opinion regarding the location of the millennium and, if not, can you please share with me the best evidence from the Bible that the millenial kingdom will be in heaven, rather than on earth?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I would like to visit an Adventist church but I might have a major disagreement with Adventism.

I believe that the millenial kingdom will be on earth after a post-tribulation rapture, rather than in heaven.

Are Adventists allowed to have difference of opinion regarding the location of the millennium and, if not, can you please share with me the best evidence from the Bible that the millenial kingdom will be in heaven, rather than on earth?

This is the Progressive forum (I am moderate not progressive)... and so I am not sure what the progressive position on this is - but it might be the same as the official SDA version below.. so just in case it is.

If the progressives do not have this view then you can go to the conservative SDA forum to see it - and I assume this post will be removed. (Anyway not sure what the situation is so I am being optimistic in posting this response at this point)

===================================

Anyone can visit and the Sabbath School Bible study that is before the church service is interactive discussion about the Bible lesson for the week. It is highly unlikely anyone will mention what happens during the millennium (unless the sermon happens to be on that topic). at church but I am happy to discuss it.

The teaching the SDA denomination has on it comes from this.

1. John 14:1-3 - Jesus said "I will come again and receive you to myself". He goes to His Father to prepare a place for us - many dwelling places in heaven are there currently, He comes to get the saints.

2. Matt 24: Great tribulation, then immediately after the tribulation - signs in the sky, then people see Jesus coming, .. then the rapture where Angels gather people who are in the sky.

21 For then there will be a great tribulation, such as has not occurred since the beginning of the world until now, nor ever will again. 22 And if those days had not been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short. 23 Then if anyone says to you, ‘Behold, here is the Christ,’ or ‘He is over here,’ do not believe him. 24 For false christs and false prophets will arise and will provide great signs and wonders, so as to mislead, if possible, even the elect. 25 Behold, I have told you in advance. 26 So if they say to you, ‘Behold, He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Behold, He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe them. 27 For just as the lightning comes from the east and flashes as far as the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. 28 Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.
The Glorious Return

29 “But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky with power and great glory. 31 And He will send forth His angels with a great trumpet blast, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of the sky to the other.

People are "in the sky" because of the rapture described in 1 Thess 4:13-18. Matt 24 is describing the 2nd coming which is the rapture.

The Appearing = the coming of the Lord = our gathering together to him

2 Thess 2: 1 Now we ask you, brothers and sisters, regarding the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2 that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit, or a message, or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. 3 No one is to deceive you in any way! For it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4 who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God. 5 Do you not remember that while I was still with you, I was telling you these things? 6 And you know what restrains him now, so that he will be revealed in his time. 7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only He who now restrains will do so until He is removed. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will eliminate with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and false signs and wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not accept the love of the truth so as to be saved.

Does not happen until after the massive deception is setup by satan.

2 Thess 2:1 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming (parousia) of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

1 Thess 4:13-18
13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as indeed the rest of mankind do, who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose from the dead, so also God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep through Jesus. 15 For we say this to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive, who remain, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore, comfort one another with these words.

2 Thess 1: For after all it is only right for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, 7 and to give relief to you who are afflicted, along with us, when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels 8 in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God, and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9 These people will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power

Rev 19:
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many crowns; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. 13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. 14 And the armies which are in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, were following Him on white horses. 15 From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty. 16 And on His robe and on His thigh He has a name written: “KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.”

Jesus takes the saints to heaven at the second coming event (second coming is just John 14 " I will come again") - He receives the saints (rapture) and takes them to heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response. What are the Bible verses non-Adventists use to say the millennium will be on earth, and how would Adventism respond to them?

There is an opposing view from the Millennium in heaven -- from Zech 14 which is before the Jewish nation had made its decision about accepting the Messiah or not (so two possible futures at that time) -- #22

The view that SDAs have is that while the saints spend 1000 years in heaven and all the wicked are destroyed here on Earth - at the end of that 1000 years (see Rev 20-21) there is the New Jerusalem coming down out of heaven with all the saints and Jesus - the wicked dead are raised and then judged in the Rev 20 great white throne judgment - then cast into the lake of fire. Then in Rev 21 there is the New Earth (Earth made new) and Jesus and the saints are on Earth for all eternity (the meek shall inherit the Earth).

Our answer for that time where there is both saved and unsaved in the Zech 14 scenario is that at the time Zechariah is writing there were two possible futures for Israel -- one for if they accepted Christ and another for the case where they would reject Christ. (of course God knew with absolute certainty how it would really end up). Just like God knew Adam and Eve would fail but did not mention it until after the fall of mankind in Eden. He does not portray the bad-choice as certain-no-option-doom even though he knows that is what will ultimately happen. It's back to that Molinism thing in Zech 14.

We also point to many texts in the OT that speak of the Earth desolate - bodies cover the Earth, no stars, hills move to and fro, cities of earth all destroyed "I looked and there was no man" Jer 4. (non-SDAs have no point in time where Earth can be desolate like that)

Jer 25:33
Those slain by the LORD on that day will be from one end of the earth to the other. They will not be lamented, gathered or buried; they will be like dung on the face of the ground.

Ez 32:4-8
4 ""I will leave you on the land; I will cast you on the open field. And I will cause all the birds of the heavens to dwell on you, And I will satisfy the beasts of the whole earth with you.
5 ""I will lay your flesh on the mountains And fill the valleys with your refuse.
6 ""I will also make the land drink the discharge of your blood As far as the mountains, And the ravines will be full of you.
7 ""And when I extinguish you, I will cover the heavens and darken their stars; I will cover the sun with a cloud And the moon will not give its light.
8 ""All the shining lights in the heavens I will darken over you And will set darkness on your land,'' Declares the Lord GOD.

Jer 4:23
I looked on the earth, and behold, it was formless and void; And to the heavens, and they had no light.
24 I looked on the mountains, and behold, they were quaking, And all the hills moved to and fro.
25 I looked, and behold, there was no man, And all the birds of the heavens had fled.
26 I looked, and behold, the fruitful land was a wilderness, And all its cities were pulled down Before the LORD, before His fierce anger.

Zeph 1:18 Neither their silver nor their gold Will be able to deliver them On the day of the LORD'S wrath; And all the earth will be devoured In the fire of His jealousy, For He will make a complete end, Indeed a terrifying one, Of all the inhabitants of the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
This is really interesting so far.

I like the idea that, during a millennial reign in heaven, we will have the chance to judge God's judgments, as to whether or not He made the right judgments. Is there evidence for this in scripture?

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

people like you are why I am working on the Seventh-day Evanglical Movement in the SDA church. this should not keep you out of the SDA church. I agree with BTW it makes more sense and gives the Sabbath a Prophetic element and more weight to the Sunday Law doctrine.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is really interesting so far.

I like the idea that, during a millennial reign in heaven, we will have the chance to judge God's judgments, as to whether or not He made the right judgments. Is there evidence for this in scripture?

Rev 20:4 Then I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony of Jesus and because of the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received the mark on their foreheads and on their hands; and they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

Rev 3
26 The one who overcomes, and the one who keeps My deeds until the end, I will give him authority over the nations; 27 and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of the potter are shattered, as I also have received authority from My Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star. 29 The one who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.’

1 Cor 6:
Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? 2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to form the smallest law courts? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels?

================

The "rod of iron" language indicates punishment meted out

Rev 19:15
From His mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it He may strike down the nations, and He will rule them with a rod of iron; and He treads the wine press of the fierce wrath of God, the Almighty.

All the wicked are slain at the 2nd coming event as Rev 19 points out.

21 And the rest were killed with the sword which came from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse, and all the birds were filled with their flesh.

At a certain point in that Rev 19 second-coming event (which is what people call "the rapture" commonly) all the wicked are killed. That results in a desolate earth

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Yes - and also this one -- in Rev 20
. 2 And he took hold of the dragon, the serpent of old, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; 3 and he threw him into the abyss and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he would not deceive the nations any longer

The pit -- and the abyss appear to be the same thing

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere does anyone get to pass judgement on God's judgement. Saints judge others, not God.

Humble_Disciple said:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere does anyone get to pass judgement on God's judgement. Saints judge others, not God.

Humble_Disciple said:

kind of ...

Rom 3:
3 What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? 4 Far from it! Rather, God must prove to be true, though every person be found a liar, as it is written:
“So that You are justified in Your words,
And prevail when You are judged.”

Rev 19:1 “Hallelujah! Salvation, glory, and power belong to our God, 2 because His judgments are true and righteous; for He has judged the great prostitute who was corrupting the earth with her sexual immorality, and He has avenged the blood of His bond-servants on her.” 3 And a second time they said, “Hallelujah! Her smoke rises forever and ever.

Rev 16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters saying, “Righteous are You, the One who is and who was, O Holy One, because You judged these things; 6 for they poured out the blood of saints and prophets, and You have given them blood to drink. They deserve it.”

What God does results in praise that his judgments are true and righteous - God allows Himself to be evaluated as Job 1 and 2 point out.

"Taste and see that the Lord is good" Ps 34:8

"test me now in this and see..."
10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this,” says the Lord of hosts, “if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows. NASB 1955

Is 5:
3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,
Judge between Me and My vineyard.
4 “What more was there to do for My vineyard that I have not done in it?
Why, when I expected it to produce good grapes did it produce worthless ones?

So while it is true that God is sovereign and no one can sit in any sort of judgment over God if He does not provide that such a thing can be done... yet as the infinite "teacher" He loves to have his finite "students" look at all his acts as "an instructive moment". A time for finite beings to be instructed, to learn.

His teaching , His actions are "a lesson book" for all created intelligent life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced

Humble_Disciple said:

I've read from Adventist sources that the reason for the thousand year reign in heaven is because we will see whoever wasn't included in heaven and decide for ourselves whether God's decision was just, so there will never again be another rebellion against God.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
I visited an SDA church this morning, and I was surprised to hear the sermon mentioning John Paul II's forgiveness of his would-be assassin as an example of the forgiveness that God wants us to show for each other. I thought that Adventists were anti-Catholic. Perhaps it isn't true.

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
My own personal opinion, based on Revelation 20, is that there will be a thousand year reign on earth, after a post-tribulation rapture, and that only the dead in Christ will be resurrected during this thousand-year reign, but I'm going to keep searching the scriptures nonetheless.

The reason for the rapture, under this post-tribulation scheme, is to protect Christians while God destroys the wicked, so I agree with Adventists that the wicked will be destroyed. It's just the location of the millennium that I might disagree with, though I welcome difference of opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I've read from Adventist sources that the reason for the thousand year reign in heaven is because we will see whoever wasn't included in heaven and decide for ourselves whether God's decision was just, so there will never again be another rebellion against God.

Kind of - it reveals more about God - but the saints are pretty much settled that God is good at that time. Still missing loved ones is going to be a problem to be worked-through for just about anyone.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I visited an SDA church this morning, and I was surprised to hear the sermon mentioning John Paul II's forgiveness of his would-be assassin as an example of the forgiveness that God wants us to show for each other. I thought that Adventists were anti-Catholic. Perhaps it isn't true.
anti-sin would be a better way of putting it

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Humble_Disciple said:
so I would make the argument that ADAM and EVE's test was a judgement on Gods character. do you trust Him or is he not trust worthy, every thing that followed that was an examination of how god deals with sin

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟910,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
anti-sin would be a better way of putting it

Agreed. We are not anti-Methodist or anti-Catholic. SDAs do not have the teaching that all Catholic individuals are bad people. There are born-again saved Christians in all denominations. Rather we teaching that certain Catholic doctrines are not correct and that the Catholic church played a key role in the 1260 years of the dark ages in Rev 12 and in the present day and will continue to play a key role in the future.

Upvote 0

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟345,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My own personal opinion, based on Revelation 20, is that there will be a thousand year reign on earth, after a post-tribulation rapture, and that only the dead in Christ will be resurrected during this thousand-year reign, but I'm going to keep searching the scriptures nonetheless.

The reason for the rapture, under this post-tribulation scheme, is to protect Christians while God destroys the wicked, so I agree with Adventists that the wicked will be destroyed. It's just the location of the millennium that I might disagree with, though I welcome difference of opinion.
you should become a (SEA) Seventh-day Evangelical Adventist

Upvote 0