United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/13/metoo-movement-destroying-trust-men-women/

"The sexual tension between men and women will always exist, and if women assume a man’s sexuality is a threat instead of a powerful complement to their own sexuality, they will always be on guard. In this environment of suspicion, there can be no privacy between a man and a woman. If there is any kind of interaction or discourse, even if it’s not sexual, the man can’t trust that the woman won’t use it against him—so communication is silenced. Fear is generated on both sides, and fear is the death of trust. It is also the death of love."

Your thoughts?

I think that in their everyday lives, most people largely ignore what comes across twitter, facebook and tv. So I doubt, at least for most people, that communication or relationships between the opposite sex could be described as "silenced" or that there is even a good degree of "fear", "suspicion", or "distrust."

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Doesn't matter. You attempted to do away with due process and the presumption of innocence. Key word, attempted. LOL!. He's in!
Besides the strawman, I Love posts like this that try to personalize the other posters involvement as though anyone in the process cares one whit about what you or I want.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Interesting aspect of some professions.
It is a reality that if a professional is accused of miss-conduct that is enough for them
to lose their jobs. This makes them very careful and also very trusted.

In a world where men and women work together, mingle and could often be compromised
some will. When you get to the point two people have agreed to have sex, but part way
through one party says "no", things get a little difficult.

Paul calls us to this standard

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.
Ephesians 5:3

How many people and churches live to this standard?
inappropriate contentograph as a way of dealing with sexual frustrations of married couples is also not
seen as problematic.

If the meto movement is having an impact within churches, they are very far from
scripture already.

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think that in their everyday lives, most people largely ignore what comes across twitter, facebook and tv. So I doubt, at least for most people, that communication or relationships between the opposite sex could be described as "silenced" or that there is even a good degree of "fear", "suspicion", or "distrust."

I've seen a big change over the last 30 years. When I was 22 at work, I remember telling Allison she was "pretty as a button" and called her "gorgeous" and "Alley Cat" (her nickname) often. She was like, "thank you" and smiles. We dated not long after for a few months. I'm 50 today and wouldn't do the same thing, no way in heck. I won't even Facebook someone at work. And, nope, I would never ask anyone out I work with today. Way too risky. My advice to anyone is, "don't date someone you work with, ever!"

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've seen a big change over the last 30 years. When I was 22 at work, I remember telling Allison she was "pretty as a button" and called her "gorgeous" and "Alley Cat" (her nickname) often. She was like, "thank you" and smiles. We dated not long after for a few months. I'm 50 today and wouldn't do the same thing, no way in heck. I won't even Facebook someone at work. And, nope, I would never ask anyone out I work with today. Way too risky. My advice to anyone is, "don't date someone you work with, ever!"

That's always been good advice. The difference now is that it's not only the women who could suffer the consequences.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
We're done. Your side lost. And hopefully we teach sons and daughters respect and honesty. Metoo doesn't care about the latter.
wow. Just full on judgement and false witness of sexually assaulted and raped women.
It's a shame to see how low people have been willing to stoop here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: AnnaDeborah
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,416.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If that is so, I find it very troubling that anyone would use this man's tragic death to try to discredit a movement which has nothing to do with his death. He deserves our sympathy and respect . I think using the image in this way is very disrespectful to his memory.
This is Christian Forums. You may find yourself frequently troubled by the behaviour of some on this forum.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
A black person being accused of something . Big surprised. If he was a white person. He would have never been looked at .Now give me something a white male gets executed for no reason. I'm very liberal and know black men have been through hell.
How do you know he didn't self-identify as a white male? Isn't it racist to assume that he saw himself as a "black person"?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you know he didn't self-identify as a white male? Isn't it racist to assume that he saw himself as a "black person"?
I looked him up. He looked black. I didn't assume he was black.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is an excellent little song that someone posted on Twitter. I just saw it and had to pass it on:
Simar on Twitter

I think it pretty much sums up my feelings on this matter.
Ringo

Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/13/metoo-movement-destroying-trust-men-women/

"The sexual tension between men and women will always exist, and if women assume a man’s sexuality is a threat instead of a powerful complement to their own sexuality, they will always be on guard. In this environment of suspicion, there can be no privacy between a man and a woman. If there is any kind of interaction or discourse, even if it’s not sexual, the man can’t trust that the woman won’t use it against him—so communication is silenced. Fear is generated on both sides, and fear is the death of trust. It is also the death of love."

Your thoughts?

Like all other fashions and hypes, this too will blow over.
While I applaud women standing up to abusers, I loath the witch hunt and the tribal mentality.

• Winner
Reactions: seekingmuch
Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there is an entirely different dynamic going on in those cases though.
Of course there is. There is a common variable in these cases, racism, which isn't present in all accusations of sexual assault. But race remains a factor in some cases, like the stereotyping of the Duke lacrosse players who turned out to be innocent.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A black person being accused of something . Big surprised. If he was a white person. He would have never been looked at .Now give me something a white male gets executed for no reason. I'm very liberal and know black men have been through hell.
Ananda posted a photo. I explained where the photo comes from and also offered context elaborating on the point being made by the image.

You are totally deflecting away from that point. Nothing in your statement counters the point being made. No one is arguing whether or not racism exists or affects the criminal justice system. The fact that it exists is actually more reason not to automatically believe any accusation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
More precisely, he was lynched and hanged for what was seen at the time as the "crime" of a black woman showing any interest at all in a white woman.
From what I've read, Lige Daniels was accused of murdering someone's grandma.

If you are talking about Emmitt Till, Till was shot, not lynched.

To say that this is equivalent to today's #MeToo movement, where women are empowered to speak up when men grope, assault and rape them, is dishonest in the extreme.

First, I never said this was equivalent. I said the historical cases are relevent.

Second, no, it is not dishonest. An accusation is an accusation, regardless of what the motive is, or how empowered the person making the accusation. The fact is that people sometimes had ulterior motives for making accusations, and therefore accusations shouldn't have been automatically believed. Well, human nature doesn't change.

You are not being "lynched".
I certainly hope not, or I wouldn't be spending my final moments here on this forum

You are not a victim.
How do you know? The fact is, I choose to take control of my life instead of dwelling on the past, crying about how unfair things are, and making my identity revolve around the bad stuff that have happened to me. But thanks for stereotyping me based on your assumptions of who I am.

But Christine Blasey Ford, Deborah Ramirez, etc are, and when they come forward and say that they were assaulted, they should be believed.
Alleged victims. Their claims have not been corroborated to any reasonable standard that would hold up in either civil or criminal court. Presenting them as such is dishonest.

If that threatens your delicate manhood, well....tough.
Nice assumption again. Always with the stereotyping. You should really do some soul searching.

Last edited:
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If that is so, I find it very troubling that anyone would use this man's tragic death to try to discredit a movement which has nothing to do with his death. He deserves our sympathy and respect . I think using the image in this way is very disrespectful to his memory.
The horrible part is this image, along with other images of lynchings, was made into a postcard.

As for your first point, that's really a critique of memes in general. This wouldn't be the first image taken out of context and made into a meme. But when has the truth ever gotten in the way of making a point--especially one that goes viral.

Upvote 0

jkjk

초능력을 쓴다
Sep 28, 2018
Mombasa
✟27,043.00
Country
Kenya
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If as a man you feel threatened that women are empowered to speak up against sexual assault and rape, then perhaps you should be evaluating your own behavior and attitudes toward women.

I'm a man, and I can safely say that I don't feel threatened.

-CryptoLutheran

False dichotomy. A man can be in favor of empowering women and stopping sexual assault and also in favor of due process. It doesn't have to be one way or the other.

Dismissing other people's concerns about due process is, frankly, tone deaf and condescending.

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I looked him up. He looked black. I didn't assume he was black.
It seems to me that that sounds like a pretty racist assumption, under liberal ideology as I understand it. E.g. "Someone can look like a man, but is really a woman"

In any case, my point in posting that is not to highlight racial differences, but that people have died or otherwise been falsely destroyed, as a result of false accusations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ananda posted a photo. I explained where the photo comes from and also offered context elaborating on the point being made by the image.

You are totally deflecting away from that point. Nothing in your statement counters the point being made. No one is arguing whether or not racism exists or affects the criminal justice system. The fact that it exists is actually more reason not to automatically believe any accusation.
Well it's not typical for white man to be frame. like it was for black man. And these black men weren't in the bible. Like someone claimed.

Upvote 0