✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
http://thefederalist.com/2017/12/13/metoo-movement-destroying-trust-men-women/

"The sexual tension between men and women will always exist, and if women assume a man’s sexuality is a threat instead of a powerful complement to their own sexuality, they will always be on guard. In this environment of suspicion, there can be no privacy between a man and a woman. If there is any kind of interaction or discourse, even if it’s not sexual, the man can’t trust that the woman won’t use it against him—so communication is silenced. Fear is generated on both sides, and fear is the death of trust. It is also the death of love."

Your thoughts?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟175,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can't give a definitive answer but I acknowledge there are problems with both sides.

Men who abuse women and try to get away with it, and women who slander in order to ruin a mans life.

Both sides are throwing fire at each other basically. What we should all search for is the truth with an open heart with any accusation whether it be a man who abused, or a woman who slandered. Rather than jumping on one side without giving the other side a chance which seems to be happening.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

"The sexual tension between men and women will always exist, and if women assume a man’s sexuality is a threat instead of a powerful complement to their own sexuality, they will always be on guard. In this environment of suspicion, there can be no privacy between a man and a woman. If there is any kind of interaction or discourse, even if it’s not sexual, the man can’t trust that the woman won’t use it against him—so communication is silenced. Fear is generated on both sides, and fear is the death of trust. It is also the death of love."

Your thoughts?
I think that promiscuity and moral break down is the problem. In earlier times, sexual intimacy was held very dear and the breakdown in this has lead to blurred lines.

I believe that anyone, man or woman, must respect the other sex and be held accountable for any abuse of trust in this area.

However, I don't think that anyone should be able to just come out and accuse someone without being held accountable if their accusations are not substantiated.

I also think that this should magnify the understanding of how important it is to report any crime of any kind as soon as you can...

This waiting for years and decades is not acceptable. IMO.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟341,659.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Speaking as a man, I think it's complete nonsense. Many women view men's sexuality as a threat because so many men are a threat to women. All the #MeToo movement is doing is saying out loud what so many women already know. And no, I'm not afraid that women will use any interaction against me -- I work with (and for) women, interact with women all the time both as colleagues and as friends, in public and in private, and the #MeToo movement has done nothing at all to destroy the trust between us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Mike Pence is looking like a genius these days. Daughters have always been warned about the dangers out there, but now it's high time that parents teach their sons about the need for defensive socializing as well.

There always has been tension and problems between the sexes. Even in ancient Israel, Boaz gave his men orders not to touch Ruth while she was gleaning in the fields. When you think of people like Weinstein and Cosby, #metoo is a very good thing. But like any movement, it can carry its own abuses. We should never get so caught up in statistics or politics that we lose sight of the merits of each individual case. Accusers are not always telling the truth, and may have faulty memories. And much damage from a false accusation can be done without ever getting a conviction for a crime.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,924,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi @seekingmuch, one of the many problems with any national "movement" of this sort is that our politicians love to swoop in and use them (weaponize them) for political gain, thus destroying the good that they might otherwise have been able to accomplish. #MeToo is particularly well-suited for their (corrupt politicians') purposes, because it involves crimes of passion that are intimate/private, and often therefore, have no real way of being corroborated. So the life of an innocent has the potential of being destroyed on the basis of he said/she said alone.

--David

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Your thoughts?
I am very guarded in what I say to anyone I don't already know. It only takes one careless word to end a career.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • About 20 million out of 112 million women (18.0%) in the United States have been raped during their lifetime. 12
.... God have mercy on us...
  • Only 16% of all rapes were reported to law enforcement. 12
  • In 2006 alone, 300,000 college women (5.2%) were raped. 12
  • Among college women, about 12% of rapes were reported to law enforcement. 12
Facts and Statistics U.S. Department of Justice

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Your thoughts?
The publicity of these movements make them appear larger than what they really are.....news media....today its headline news....tomorrow its a gossip topic. I haven't seen any break-down of the male/female relationship in my area....but it is different from state to state, country to country and culture to culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The sexual tension between men and women will always exist, and if women assume a man’s sexuality is a threat instead of a powerful complement to their own sexuality, they will always be on guard.
I think the smart thing is to be on guard but test each person.
In this environment of suspicion, there can be no privacy between a man and a woman. If there is any kind of interaction or discourse, even if it’s not sexual, the man can’t trust that the woman won’t use it against him—so communication is silenced.
A man can test how to share with each woman, and not assume that all women are alike. And because we can miss out on love by being overly suspicious, there are worthwhile risks to take :) . . . if we are investing in opportunities to love.

But flirting with every woman who comes along is not what I mean!!
Fear is generated on both sides, and fear is the death of trust. It is also the death of love."
It is good to test before we trust, anyway :)

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The publicity of these movements make them appear larger than what they really are.....news media....today its headline news....tomorrow its a gossip topic. I haven't seen any break-down of the male/female relationship in my area....but it is different from state to state, country to country and culture to culture.

If you look just above at the Department of Justice numbers in post #9 for how many have been raped, you can see how this is... a deep seated need, for something to change.

It's like Paul wrote in Romans chapter 8 even some I think. That's the deeper groaning under the weight of this fallen world --

20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hi @seekingmuch, one of the many problems with any national "movement" of this sort is that our politicians love to swoop in and use them (weaponize them) for political gain, thus destroying the good that they might otherwise have been able to accomplish. #MeToo is particularly well-suited for their (corrupt politicians') purposes, because it involves crimes of passion that are intimate/private, and often therefore, have no real way of being corroborated. So the life of an innocent has the potential of being destroyed on the basis of he said/she said alone.

--David
I agree that they can be used as a political weapon..Not only that, but the ironic off shoot that people are afraid to speak out against such things in fear of being slandered as a pervert, sympathizer, uncaring person, etc.

This was used in my Province of Ontario Canada, when a candidate was a lesbian. She used to call out all her opponents as a "homophobe" whenever they spoke against her ideas, or views on anything. They were all so afraid of being labeled that they dummied up and she went unchallenged on many fronts due to this fear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Bible has a lot of wisdom to help avoid the problems that arise over male/female relationships. It says that the marriage bed is not defiled. And, if a man cannot contain himself, let him take a wife.

Of course, in our neo-pagan western societies, belief in the Bible and the Christian faith are a minority, and the majority of men are ruled by their passions, and extra marital sexual encounters are seen as normal behaviour, as depicted in the media, especially in the popular soap operas. The concerning attitude among many men is that all they have to do is to make a sexual advance and it will be readily accepted, because that is what they see on film and TV. How many times have we seen in a movie where a man forces a kiss on a woman and she struggles at first then happily gives in? Then they rip their clothes off and nooky occurs.

That might happen on TV and film, but when men try it in real life, they are confronted with a sexual harassment accusation. The tragedy is that encounters can happen in their teenage years, and the woman can forget that the encounter was consensual, be overcome with guilt later in life, especially with new social attitudes that are different from when she was younger, and whammo! She decides that the encounter was not consensual after all!

Of course not every sexual encounter was consensual, and a woman can nurse the trauma for years before having the confidence to speak out about it. I understand that too.

But, the answer is that men and women need to be converted to Christ, be filled with the Holy Spirit, and then walk in love for God and for one another. This is the only real answer to these problems. It is when men and women ignore God and neglect the salvation offered to them, that the lusts of the flesh dominate and they then have to bear the consequences of their conduct.

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Speaking as a man, I think it's complete nonsense. Many women view men's sexuality with as a threat because so many men are a threat to women. All the #MeToo movement is doing is saying out loud what so many women already know. And no, I'm not afraid that women will use any interaction against me -- I work with (and for) women, interact with women all the time both as colleagues and as friends, in public and in private, and the #MeToo movement has done nothing at all to destroy the trust between us.

It's not nonsense.....

"
The Backlash Is Real
As with any social movement, the change is not all in one direction. The increased pressure and escalated discipline come with gender sidelining—minimizing the risk of a sexual harassment accusation by limiting contact at work with women. This is a well-documented phenomenon, which has become more common in the wake of #MeToo. The Harvard Business Review found that 64 percent of male executives were reluctant to meet one-on-one with junior female colleagues, while a New York Times survey found that 45 percent of men felt it was inappropriate to have dinner alone with a female co-worker and 22 percent at a meeting. While it is an actionable form of discrimination to refuse to work with women or assign them work on the basis of sex, these practices are pervasive and hard to prove. Avoidance can be devastating to a woman’s career, especially when her success depends on networking, mentoring, or business-building.

The Aftermath of the #MeToo Movement

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are just as many shady, predatory, and petty women out there as men. It's sad to see single accusations destroying lives.
There are some women who molest children.

And there are some women who are serial killers.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well you rarely get find women getting guys drunk just to have sex . That’s a selfish immature guy thing . I told my two boys that not only was that a stupid thing to do ., the law considers that to be rape.
I was so proud of my youngest who drove a girl home and prevented her from “ having a train “run on her. If Kavanaugh did it he’s not going to confess as the statute of limitations has run out for both assault and rape. As far as her memory problem. PTSD does that. She knows who did it she has trouble remembering when . There are also allegations of this type of culture at that school.

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well you rarely get find women getting guys drunk just to have sex . That’s a selfish immature guy thing . I told my two boys that not only was that a stupid thing to do ., the law considers that to be rape.
I was so proud of my youngest who drove a girl home and prevented her from “ having a train “run on her. If Kavanaugh did it he’s not going to confess as the statute of limitations has run out for both assault and rape. As far as her memory problem. PTSD does that. She knows who did it she has trouble remembering when . There are also allegations of this type of culture at that school.
Actually, if it happened in Maryland, there is NO statute of limitations on rape.

Upvote 0