The Messianic Movement: A Western Subculture ?

A

AbbaLove

Huh? "Pre-exilic Hebrew"? Did I miss something?

Invoking "THE" way seems to be, or may just be, a way to problematize further investigation, thought or debate. Clearly there is a difference between (1) the general Greco-Roman and (derivate) modern Western way(s) and (2) the general pre-exilic Hebrew way(s).

FWIW, Sid Roth has wanted to get It's Supernatural aired on a secular TV channel for the past year. Recently signed an agreement with the Discovery Channel which reaches 100 million households. Broadcast Wednesday's 8:30 am (ET-PT) across America.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
FWIW, Sid Roth has wanted to get It's Supernatural aired on a secular TV channel for the past year. Recently signed an agreement with the Discovery Channel which reaches 100 million households. Broadcast Wednesday's 8:30 am (ET-PT) across America.

Sid Roth is an idiot.

He remembers with clarity the first time he ate a ham sandwich. Great to be liberated from the Torah I guess.

Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

What a shame, only to reach more people with false hopes.

I'm sorry, I don't trust anyone who promotes outlandish false prophets as prophets of G-d the likes of Todd Bentely. That man is full of the spirit, only it doesn't come from G-d, but Sid will have to answer to G-d why he didn't discern the supernatural properly before teaching others.

Upvote 0
A

AbbaLove

What a shame, only to reach more people with false hopes.

I'm sorry, I don't trust anyone who promotes outlandish false prophets as prophets of G-d the likes of Todd Bentely. That man is full of the spirit, only it doesn't come from G-d, but Sid will have to answer to G-d why he didn't discern the supernatural properly before teaching others.
What about Peter Popoff ?
There isn't anyone by the name of Todd Bentely, at least not on Google.

Upvote 0
A

aniello

What about Peter Popoff ?
There isn't anyone by the name of Todd Bentely, at least not on Google.

It would be a cold day in Phoenix, AZ.;) before I would hold still for Roth or Bentley but here's ref. for Bentley.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FTodd_Bentley&ei=ln8XU7z5FOm4yAGsyYCoBA&usg=AFQjCNFfJaSGGiSPZqAzeIS1HHtfFvA6-Q&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc

Bad drugs residual effects perhaps.

Added for one's delusional pleasure:

Peter Popoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I shall now return to my hobby of pulling wings off flies to hasten the eschatos of time as we know it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I Believe It Is Largely Owing To The Influence Of British, And Later American, Missionary Zeal.

Probably true, as regards their origin; I observe that as a Western movement from origin it makes sense that it would be deeply Western relative to its internal and external aspects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);65114091 said:
Shalom :)

To be clear, I repeat that I am not of the mindset that it's a matter of sin or not sin - as the issue was on what's expected when it comes to reverence and examining what reverence is actually defined by. Having reverence for one's culture doesn't equate to reverence for the culture being monolithic or uniform in practice - and we can see this even as it concerns basics with Muslim and Hindu culture. Muslims from a Black or African dynamic are radically different from those Muslims in an Arabic perspective. And Hindu culture varies as well - dress and culture for those who are Untouchable/Dark Skinned Hindus are different from others who are Hindu believers in Christ or Jews within the Hindu system... Not everyone wears saris in Hindu culture nor holds them with reverence - nor does everyone in Muslim culture insist on the same kind of dress, as it concerns veils or other things.

And in the same way, it also occurred within Israelite culture which adapted over time - never losing sight of the fact that all things were meant to be held sacred even though what was given in one setting of time was different than another.
Actually, we do know historically that kilts were a part of Hebrew culture.

For reference, one of the most excellent reads on the issue can be seen in The Rescue of Jerusalem: The Alliance Between Hebrews and Africans. (as well as here, here)..

Ancient Hebrew, Greek, and Roman men generally wore some form of tunic. Ancient Egyptians wore a wrap skirt, similar to sarongs....but the tunics and skirts were very prevalent.
In Israelite culture, I think what happens is often a cart before the horse in assuming that something being distinct in other cultures must somehow mean that Biblical culture either HAD to be distinct or was automatically distinct - and therefore, we go forward from there.

And with tzitzit, it was something that did vary from place to place....distinct, even though it was not necessarily commanded. With the command dynamic, there are categories of commands and I think we should consider that. Some of this has been shared before, as seen here:

They did not wear kilts in the sense of Scotch kilts, (which is what I meant by "kilt",) so wearing (Scotch) kilts would not be a Hebrew thing. I think you understood that.

It's slightly ironic to me that you invoke so much sub-categorization and small-perspective views, but then use "kilt" in a generalized sense, as though Scotch kilts and "Hebrew kilts" were the same.

The rest of your comment really just repeats the points you already raised, which do not disturb me. Catholic or Latin-American tradition varies from place to place, as with Islamic or Indic or Sinic, but it is still distinct and recognizable. I believe, as people affiliated with ancient Israel, there should be a greater attempt by Messianics to come out of Babylon and return to the ways of the Forefathers. (You may disagree, and that's okay.)

Just because many (eg Westernized) Muslims or Hindus may or may not revere their own cultures doesn't problematize any of the things I've said . . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married

Your pre-exilic Hebrew reminds me of those that yearn for the 'good old days' of a culture as if the 'good old days' were actually all that good.

So remove the name Abba from your nick, if Hebrew is not that good ?

Language, culture, religion, in Judaism this is all one thing.
The priests and non-priests had certain regulations on how to shave, how to dress, how to build their sanctuary and their own houses, and so on.
In diaspora there has however, regrettably, and understandably, been a compromise with this.

But we see today, even though Israel is it's own sovereign country, there is a cultural attitude or the diaspora mind still remaining.
Much of it is based on the idea of linear evolution, a lie of Western society, the lie that everything moves toward a future that is essentially Western, hence disrespecting the distinctness of different cultures by impelling them toward Westernization ("Modernization").

Upvote 0

HannibalFlavius

May 15, 2013
Houston
✟5,329.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It would be a cold day in Phoenix, AZ.;) before I would hold still for Roth or Bentley but here's ref. for Bentley.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDAQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FTodd_Bentley&ei=ln8XU7z5FOm4yAGsyYCoBA&usg=AFQjCNFfJaSGGiSPZqAzeIS1HHtfFvA6-Q&bvm=bv.62286460,d.aWc

Bad drugs residual effects perhaps.

Added for one's delusional pleasure:

Peter Popoff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I shall now return to my hobby of pulling wings off flies to hasten the eschatos of time as we know it.

WHOOOAAA HORSEY!

I am not too crazy about Roth either, and never heard of Bentley, but do not suppose to speak ill of Peter Popoff, God's great miracle prophet!

Sir, How dare you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They did not wear kilts in the sense of Scotch kilts, (which is what I meant by "kilt",) so wearing (Scotch) kilts would not be a Hebrew thing. I think you understood that.
. . .
Scotch kilts were not something that Scotland alone developed - that was mentioned directly, as it concerns the design of kilts and how they developed. That was made plain with reference..

Don't assume what I meant unless asking for clarification, please -

It's slightly ironic to me that you invoke so much sub-categorization and small-perspective views, but then use "kilt" in a generalized sense, as though Scotch kilts and "Hebrew kilts" were the same.
As you didn't deal with nor show at any point what Hebrew dress was like - nor did you show what you felt Scotch kilts was like, it seems a bit insincere talking on anything related to categorization since sub-categorization was never somnething I mentioned SEPERATE from generalization as well (seeing how kilts in the Hebrew/Semitic sense were obviously different from Scotish in certain ways....fabric designs being obvious). No need to act as if splitting hairs is present.
The rest of your comment really just repeats the points you already raised, which do not disturb me. Catholic or Latin-American tradition varies from place to place, as with Islamic or Indic or Sinic, but it is still distinct and recognizable.
That is circular - as it has still not been shown where Islamic tradition is distinct or how that is distinct....and no one can escape its beginnings in Christian tradition which it came out of historically. So again, it's pulling the cart before the horse - where did God ever say Israel was DISTINCT in all things, from dress to building style, or that it was meant to look different and that all others for it had to push for it?

Most of the comments you made are repeats of the call for pushing for it without showing what scripture said on it and how the prophets never advocated such..
believe, as people affiliated with ancient Israel, there should be a greater attempt by Messianics to come out of Babylon and return to the ways of the Forefathers. (You may disagree, and that's okay.)
None of that deals with scripture, as it starts from the stance of what you may believe/value (which is okay/permissible) and yet ignores what the scriptural admonition already said - and thus, it can never truly be about Ancient Israel standards are assumed which were never verified in Ancient Israel. That is something many have done (Michael Rood being one prime example) in the name of coming out of Babylon even though they do the same thing in making things up.

And as God already told the Hebrews in Jeremiah 29 to make homes/lives amongst the Babylonians and interact with the culture - just as Daniel and his friends did in Daniel 1-6 - one cannot escape the fact that claiming "We must come out of Babylon!!" goes counter to what God already said on the issue.

Scripture - if it's the standard - needs to consistently be the standard.
Just because many (eg Westernized) Muslims or Hindus may or may not revere their own cultures doesn't problematize any of the things I've said
Incorrect - as many Muslims and Hindus revere their culture but they note (counter to the over-simplistic views of others assuming its uniform) that Muslim/Hindu culture has always varied and played out differently. And thus, to assume that looking different is about not revering things would be to not have any clue on what their culture is about.

People may choose to ignore the obvious - but that is their own choice iin the matter when ignoring the sheer diversity present that was found within Israelite culture (even though uniform on many things) and the ways it was allowed (by the direction of God) to flourish as it did...and to ignore that in the name of "We need to find authentic" is as ironic as one saying "We need to find authentic black people from Hip Hop culture!!" and then ignoring each/every example presented due to how they can't find the image/stereotype they had in mind of someone with a lot of bling or who was a rap star/having baggy pants. Confirmation bias can lead to that unfortunately..

When it comes to Judaism itself, the reality is that the emphasis was always on the INTERNAL - not the EXTERNAL alone (which often shifted). It was Orthopraxis in addition to Orthodoxy - with the Orthodoxy expressed in differing ways as it concerns Orthopraxis. And thus, we have to be honest with that rather than arguing on the basis of personal incredulity where something seems too much for us to consider - and therefore, we say "It's not true"

Of course many Hindus, even outside of India, respect and revere India and the Indic culture - just as many Messianics revere historical Israel and Israelite culture. Nonetheless, they are also honest with their own history and the ways it has shaped/evolved - just as other Messianics have seen the same with Historical Israel as well.

And it's easier, to be frank, to make excuses on why one wishes to focus more so on the externals rather than honestly deal with where the externals were NEVER set or above being changed - we often focus on making others conform outwardly to the outward behavior we deem necessary rather than living out our own faith/having it reflect who Yeshua was.

As it is, going back to the Hindu example that keeps getting brought up as a backdrop for comparing Modern-Day Messianics, people often speak stereotypicaly of what Hindu culture is like and have zero awareness of how that looks like - both in external and internal dynamics. Unless working with others in the Diaspora of the Hindu culture, one has no basis speaking on them all having reverence via a monoform culture since it's NOT the case. One of the best reads on the issue is Christ and the Hindu Diaspora - and just as the Hindu culture itself has reshaped itself and remained consistently Hindu at the same time, it is the same dynamic with Israelite culture - God had NO issue with them reshaping how they lived life when it came to pilgrimage, travel in other nations and Diaspora experience. The Scriptures had commandment after commandment noting how many of the laws pertaining to being WITHIN the land often transformed in the absence of the Land or being present in Israel - and within Israelite culture, there were differences in dress styles that changed over time....dress in the MONARCHY not being the same as dress during the Exodus or Babylonian exile.

The same goes for Israelite culture - Brother Contra noted it well earlier.

Israel is Israel. It's not - necessarily - a matter of sin or not sin. One can do things even though it is not soteriological.
One has to show, of course, that things are NOT soteriological if making a claim that others are not doing so...as it can often be assumed that it looking different means it's not soteriological to begin with. And that can be begging the question.
I think modern Israelites should make some kind of effort to intimate their past, and not just (in the attempt to be as different from Muslims as possible) reject their past, being the past world of David, Gideon, Joshua, Samson, Solomon, etc.
That - as said before - goes back to what you think rather than showing what the prophets and what Moses and Israelite history show. For it's making a claim without any basis of verification - every age of Israelite culture differed in dress and style on various levels - yet their heritage in the Torah/knowing who the Lord was made them distinct from the nations. It was never about rejecting their past....David didn't look the same as Daniel nor did Esther look the same as a pilgrim Patriarch like Abraham. But they all followed God.

It's generally a Gentile dynamic of understanding in saying "Ancient Israel all looked like this" and many in the Semitic world have noted how much it can be romanticizing the past in doing so when others claim "You all should do better!!" - especially when they never grew up in Semitic culture nor deal with the extensive history of others in Semitic culture who noted how it evolved as with all things.

Hehe.... well, the Kerubim are either spirits in heaven (their shapes described in Ezek. 1 and 10, and perhaps in Revelation) or not. If they are heavenly spirits (with features of bulls, lions, eagles etc) they would predate any Lammasu or Garuda conceptions found in other cultures. I tend to believe the Bible so to speak, and not just dismiss it.
None of that deals historically with the concept of Cheribum imagery predating the time of Moses - thus, one has to be consistent with the history if properly relating to the Bible since it's a false scenario thinking that one has to believe Cheribum imagery only began in scripture if one is to believe the Bible. That's like saying one can only be writing began in the Bible if they are to believe the first verse of "In the beginning...:" And it can also be a matter of trying to assert a superior position without warrant in the name of "I believe what the scriptures say!!!" (as if others didn't ) when saying one only looks to scripture while others see where Scripture was verified by history.

Cheribum were present in Egyptian culture as well as other cultures ...

AhiramCherubthroneGray.jpg

With Cheribum (which began in Genesis 3 ), the Hebrew term cherubim is cognate with the Assyrian term karabu, Akkadian term kuribu, and Babylonian term karabu; the Assyrian term means 'great, mighty', but the Akkadian and Babylonian cognates mean 'propitious, blessed'. It is the case that in some regions the Assyro-Babylonian term came to refer in particular to spirits which served the gods, in particular to the shedu (human-headed winged bulls) - and the Assyrians sometimes referred to these as kirubu, a term grammatically related to karabu. They were originally a version of the shedu, protective deities sometimes found as pairs of colossal statues either side of objects to be protected, such as doorways....and yet although the shedu were popular in Mesopotamia, archaeological remains from the Levant suggest that they were quite rare in the immediate vicinity of the Israelites.

For basic study on the historical development of Cheribum, one can go to The Temple of Solomon: A Study of Semitic Culture or Of Wings and Wheels: A Synthetic Study of the Biblical ...

One can also investigate the work of Dr. Michael Heiser (who is one of the leading scholars in Near-Eastern/Middle-Eastern culture)and has spoken often of the dynamics of how Divine beings were seen in the culture - as seen here:

Angels, Demons, Nephilim, Cherubim, and other spiritual beings- Michael S. Heiser - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
...the eternal question. What does God's religion look like? Like the Arab cultural Imperialism of Islam? Or the inculturated Hindi centered architecture of Hinduism.....or the Gothic cathedrals of Europe? Or the functional buildings of low church Protestantism?

How about none of the above?

From Acts 7:

48 "Yet the Most High does not dwell in houses made by hands, as the prophet says,

49“‘Heaven is my throne,
and the earth is my footstool.
What kind of house will you build for me, says the Lord,
or what is the place of my rest?
50 Did not my hand make all these things?’"

There is no religion- Biblical or otherwise- that is not in some way like the culture it comes from. Even the Torah looks in many regards much like other ancient near Eastern religions that preceded it.

What you're saying is good- you are arguing for a distinctive way of standing out from the culture around you. But you are looking to the physical- a common religious notion- to solve the problem.

But the world doesn't need more religious people outwardly looking different or having distinctive buildings or clothing- we've got too many of them already.

"For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed." Rom 8:19

You think creation is waiting for more religion? I don't think so. It's a saturated market out there.

What will make Messianics or believers in general stand out is when they are manifested as the children of God- eg. changed people with purified hearts following the commandments to love God and neighbour with a spiritual love that cannot be explained away. Twice-born people changing the world.

So....what are we all waiting for? Start manifesting, children!
:thumbsup: Definitely worth repeating - as that's exactly the heart of the issue. We cannot say we want to honor Israel if we don't deal with the cultural reality of what Israel was and how much we end up reinventing things in the name of trying to return to the original nature of what Israel was.

Thanks again for sharing

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Israelites did not wear Jeans, Saris, Scottish-type kilts, period. I can't believe this has to be repeated.

I won't talk with you further G, as you are argumentative, willfully ignorant or misrepresenting my views.
Seeing that no one was talking about jeans , it's a false scenario assuming anyone was talking on that when noting how the concept of Scottish-type kilts (i.e. a wrap around the waist, long dress, etc.) was not unique to Scotland. Basics in how they dressed:

3Black_Obelisk-Israelites-bringing-tribute.jpg

Harping "They didn't wear that period" is no more factual than someone claiming "People today don't dress as Ancient Israel!!" and yet giving no real example in history that historians have noted on how the dress was.

People like Michael Rood do those things when it comes to dress style (and unfortunately, IMHO, you've been doing so as well in advocacy) - but it's not history. Seriously, it's ironic trying to claim others as "misrepresenting" or "Argumentative" even though response by nature of your commentary could easily be placed within that if they wanted to go past what you were disagreeing on - for if it's "argumentative" for someone to question your conclusions or ask for verification from scripture/history with where you're coming from, it's logically argumentative to have even begun the thread claiming that the Messianic movement today is simply Western and saying others you disagree with don't understand Israel ....but ultimately, throwing out adjectives because someone questions you doesn't equate to verifying in history or scripture since that is appeal to emotion/ridicule (like someone saying "You just want to be critical and don't appreciate people who work hard!!!" when another asks them to please show how they objectively can claim that "2+2 =47" when that's not lining up with the way things are) and it really isn't consequential who you do or don't talk to - as that's a strawman argument since no one argued with the basis of having you pay attention to them.

Others are not concerned on that since the issue if public verification of the facts for readers/lurkers - and if you cannot verify a claim, there's no speaking on the matter.

You made a claim on the historical nature of what Israel was - and others interested in it responded to the matter. But it seems that you already had in mind what that was and did not want that questioned - pity. If one's going to deal with history, one needs to deal with history and not assert. That's basic, H - and as it is, there are many ways it can be easily argued that you've already been making up Israelite culture as you go along without actually dealing with Israel as it was. That's ignoring the culture, as well as making it in your image - and thus, as others noted earlier, it's arguing without merit. If one wishes to do so, that's their choice - but it definitely isn't about dealing with Israel accurately ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There is no religion- Biblical or otherwise- that is not in some way like the culture it comes from. Even the Torah looks in many regards much like other ancient near Eastern religions that preceded it.
You really cannot be honest with the text of scripture in its setting if not seeing that basic reality....it's very similar to the same dynamic of assuming that being Jewish only involved one aspect (as you've mentioned before here)

The logic others use on the matter - especially as it concerns evolution - is like saying Abraham was 100% disconnected from any cultural practices from the background he came from (which was connected to Babylon if seeing where the geographical area was that he was born in/lived in). But he still made sacrifices - he still made altars/memorial stones to the Lord as others in his previous culture did to their gods ...even having maid-servants/concubines. Alongside all the other patriarchs, he still did things that were all a part of the place he was from and God saw no issue with that..

But people who have a view of cultural evolution as being STATIC rather than ORGANIC/dynamic assume that only cultures in the West go through changes - and then make a false scenario that to have changes or adaptability equates to disrespecting distinctness. But that's not logical

People forget the reality of how Israel itself was shaped in various ways by what was occurring around it (and Yeshua felt it important to have many others amongst the people in Revelation 5:9 and Revelation 7:9 who were purchased from every tribe/tongue and nation by His Blood so that they'd always praise the Messiah - in the same way Exodus 12:38 notes how many other people went up with the Hebrews and became a part of Israel when the Exodus occurred - even having intermarriage, as noted in Leviticus 24:9-11 with the couple where the father was Egyptian and the mother was Dan). Israel had a multicultural background - and it'll be like this even in the Millenial era. Just as King Solomon's kingdom did trade/connections with nations all round it (I Kings 5:12 being a prime example) and wisdom was shared from all over the world (I Kings 4) while Israel had a GLOBAL reach in its kingdom, so it'll be with Israel. The Law of God that Israel was given by the Lord will be the dominant rule gone by globally in the Millenial Kingdom - the way we treat our neighbors and walking in love for Messiah being what matters above all else - but as it concerns different cultural expressions and dress, that will still vary in the times to come. It will be in many ways like the Persian Empire in its diversity (as Daniel and Esther experienced) - or tributary systems.

And when seeing how Israel already had a history of affinity with other nations, we have to square with the fact that it being distinct isn't the same as it not having commonality with other places. All religions are impacted in one way or another by what came before it or existed during its inception and we cannot avoid that ...

It's one thing to claim that one needs to reflect historical Israelite culture - but it's another to ignore it when it doesn't fit the ideology one may have (as in assuming there were never any changes) and in the process insulting what Israelite culture was actually about. It is ironic but something that happens nonetheless. People who study Israelite culture know already that it is both an internal and external culture - one in which praxis/orthopraxy was also in line with orthodoxy and that the external expression went alongside what was noted to be present in internal thought - and as changes were a part of how the internal system went, we can only honor Israel when realizing that the Lord/the People understood that part of expressing devotion to the Lord was centered around understanding that there was room to change and not a MONOLITHIC view..

But in our time, sadly, there are many Messianics who tend to incline themselves toward making excuses behind why they cannot show that their view of how Israel was (in their desire to be like historical Israel) does not line up with the assumption that they never had freedom to change over time - and thus, Israel can never be addressed honestly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Attempting to image what a Jew would do in the light, in control.

Not sure if I'm interpreting you correctly, but if Jews were not influenced by or controlled by gentiles, you mean ?
We have this situation in modern state of Israel today, yet the influence remains, and many have the diaspora mind still.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
What, no Levi's for Levites in those days?^_^

Not according to God's commands (most people don't stop to consider why). But hey, let's listen to Westernizers who would have ancient Israel disappear and remain gone. And let's make pictures of a blond Jesus wearing baggy pants, because who cares about history.

When it comes to say China or Japan we respect them and don't pretend they anciently worse Jeans or Saris, but with the Biblical culture it's a free for all. People have an essentially "Mormon" attitude whereby the past (even relative to foreign cultures) is revisualized to resemble the present.

The good thing is, in the Millennium, each man will sit under his fig tree, spears turn to ploughshares, and there shall be a return to an agricultural society and peace. Israel's culture will return, and be a respected high culture relative to the other cultures of the world. Women will not wear men's clothes or have to fight in the army anymore, and men will not wear women's clothes and so on. Tzitzit will be worn, and dehumanizing technology will be gone. Ignorant people won't have argumentative debates on internet forums like this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Unfortunately, whenever others start with the physical - regardless of how much they may deny it - they end up doing the same dynamic of the West they may criticize. For that has occurred with Restorationism as occurred in the Church in the name of getting back to the pure roots that had apparently been lost - even though there was never verification that God was concerned with going back to things in order to maintain who He is. The mindset was that to avoid doing so meant that Israel was to be gone in the process or that it was a free-for-all.....but it was reaction to reactions.

This is something Semitic people have been bothered by for some time when it comes to Gentiles advocating for something they themselves don't even live out - if you want to go the whole way, wear sandals...use scrolls....and ride camels/live in tents while growing crops before the Lord (and get rid of the iPad or tablet since they didn't utilize those in their communication style) ^_^ But of course, no one wants to do that because they inherently understand that things change in time even though what's distinct is worshiping the Lord....

And it's sad to witness since it often forgets the reality that Yeshua was never focused solely on Semitic culture as defining Israel - for Israel, from His perspective, was a MULTI-Cultural reality that encompassed the entire world - as discussed before:

Gxg (G²);65109442 said:
.. there are others who've noted the ways that even the Book of Job was not always seen as a JEWISH text. In fact, it was seen at one point as a reflection of Arabic literature - which would be connected in many ways to Hebrew culture since both Hebrews and Arabs are Semitic groups in their background (as well as blood brothers via Ishmael and Isaac). But the distinctly Arabic feels to the poetry within the text have been something that many have wondered on for some time.

For more reference, one can investigate “Job and Early Arab Monotheism" or the book entitled Arabs in the Shadow of Israel: The Unfolding of God's Prophetic .... In the book by Dr. Tony Maalouf, I appreciated his noting how “in the East” and Arabia refers to the location of the descendants of Abraham through Hagar and Keturah...and that in the book of Job, Job is described as “the greatest man among all the people of the East.” The author did amazing documentation on how Job was likely is a descendant of Esau and Basma, daughter of Ishmael (Genesis 36:9-33).

And outside of Job (as it concerns logic), we also have to deal with how Proverbs 30 and 31 were written by the Arab sages, Agur and Lemuel - Ishmael's culture and the logic they brought with them was incorporated into Judaic culture and thus we cannot say that the Jews didn't rely on the logical systems of others when it came to being Israel. Despite the fact the God gave Solomon wisdom, Solomon seemed to be a student of Philosophy/General Revelation He has given to all----saved or NOT (such as with the sciences, medicine, and other things)....& many of the things he wrote down in Proverbs which people turn to DAILY for wisdom may not be directly from Believers in GOD/EXPLICITLY Jewish concepts

Regarding the book of Proverbs, which contains many practical expressions of general truth rooted in God, there were many points where He did not author information but simply collected/compiled the information for what it was and didn’t hesitate to place the information out before others because the authors may not have been explicitly FOLLOWERS of the Lord. Again, one can see Proverbs 22:17 through Proverb 24:34, in which he collected/shared 77 proverbs, and godly principles most likely spoken by simple wise men).

And the words of Agur, Proverbs 30:1-33, which are a collection of proverbs written by an unknown sage.

Gxg (G²);64597183 said:
...Something that has always tripped me out is considering what the Lord did with Hagar the Egyptian ( Genesis 16:1-3, Genesis 21:8-10 , Genesis 25:11-13, etc )---and Egypt, by connection. For as the Lord proclaimed over Egypt by the prophet Isaiah:

Isaiah 19:19-23
19 In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. 20 It will be a sign and witness to the LORD Almighty in the land of Egypt. When they cry out to the LORD because of their oppressors, he will send them a savior and defender, and he will rescue them. 21 So the LORD will make himself known to the Egyptians, and in that day they will acknowledge the LORD. They will worship with sacrifices and grain offerings; they will make vows to the LORD and keep them. ...
23 In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria. The Assyrians will go to Egypt and the Egyptians to Assyria. The Egyptians and Assyrians will worship together. 24 In that day Israel will be the third, along with Egypt and Assyria, a blessing on the earth. 25 The LORD Almighty will bless them, saying, “Blessed be Egypt my people, Assyria my handiwork, and Israel my inheritance.”

Egypt was deemed to be amongst the people of the Lord alongside Israel--and Egypt called the Lord's people, a group that'd worship the Lord and be just as blessed as Israel was. With regards to "highway," compare the references to the highway to Jerusalem in Isaiah 11:16 and Isaiah 35:8-10. Isaiah 57:14 nd Isaiah 62:10 also describe the removal of obstacles and the construction of a highway to Jerusalem. The Egyptians and the Assyrians (often noted as enemies of Israel, even though Egypt was often used to save God's people) had been loggerheads for years (Isaiah 20:4), but in the future they would be linked in a bond of fellowship sealed by their common allegiance to Israel's Lord (Isaiah 25:3). And with the altar in Egupt, some scholars relate "altar" to the temple built in Egypt by the Jewish high priest Onias IV, who fled to Egpt during the second century B.C. But more appears to have been at stake in Isaiah 19:19. Indeed, the reference appears to be to a conversion to the Lord of a significant number of Egyptians.

The Lord made plain in His Word that the Egyptians would be a people whom He'd use mightly for His glory. With Egypt, the Lord expressed its entire admission to religious privileges (Ro 9:24-26; 1Pe 2:9-10, etc). When it came to His working with the Hebrews in the conquest of Cannan, it has always been interesting to consider how the intended recipients of salvation were not only Jews, but also Israel’s most hostile enemies! Assyria, Egypt, Babylon, and Philistia are included (Psalm 87:4-6; Isaiah 19:23-5). Even the Canaanites whom Israel fought against were incorporated into the new Israel, the true people of God (Zechariah 9:6 [the “Jebusite,” who has been assimilated into Israel]; cp. Matthew 15:22). ..

Even prior to all of that, the children of Israel were blessed through the land of Egypt when it came to what the Lord did through Joseph----who married an Egyptian woman, shaved his beard, had mixed children who were both Hebrew/Egyptian and adopted by Jacob, and had an Egyptian name (Genesis 41-42). As seen in Genesis 46–50, he brothers returned to Palestine and brought their father to Egypt In Israel's meeting meeting with the Pharaoh, Jacob pronounce a blessing on the Pharaoh (47:7–12)....and honored him. And in the death of Jacob (Genesis 49-50), all of Egypt (including Pharoah) came to mourn his loss and gave him the treatment of embalming (per the requests of Joseph) that was reserved for royalty. There were signs of relationship and interaction between Israel/other groups...

Moreover, the Lord noted to Israel how they were not to despise the Egyptians...and that they'd be welcome to come into the assembly of the Lord ( Deuteronomy 23:6-8 ). As the Messiah also recieved salvation in Egypt when Joseph and Mary fled there for protection in Matthew 2, it is highly interesting to consider the many ways the Lord has always used that group for his work...and if considering what it means to be apart of "Covenant", it is intriguing to consider how many may often say that only Israel had true covenant when the Lord already made promises of relationship with people groups OUTSIDE of Israel....and yet all would enjoy blessings within the land of Israel as well. GG
Gxg (G²);64218618 said:
For Isaiah describes a time when Egypt and Assyria - along with Israel - will be a blessing on the Earth. Interestingly enough, [/SIZE][/FONT]what was Assyria in Isaiah's day includes parts of Turkey, Iraq and Syria today. Assyria was an ancient empire whose capital city was Nineveh (II Kings 19:36). It was primarily located in Mesopotamia, the land between the Tigris and Euphrates rivers on the western end -- roughly where Iraq is currently located. The Assyrian Empire extended from Ur of Chaldes, up the Tigress-Euphrates valley toward Baghdad then across to the Mediterranean, taking in modern day Syria. [/LEFT]

So Assyria in the Bible included modern day Iraq and Syria. And by substituting the names of these present-day countries, we come up with remarkable scripture as it relates to prophecy
Isaiah 19:19-21Isaiah 19
20 And it will be for a sign and for a witness to the Lord of hosts in the land of Egypt; for they will cry to the Lord because of the oppressors, and He will send them a Savior and a Mighty One, and He will deliver them.

21 Then the Lord will be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians will know the Lord in that day, and will make sacrifice and offering; yes, they will make a vow to the Lord and perform it. 22 And the Lord will strike Egypt, He will strike and heal it; they will return to the Lord, and He will be entreated by them and heal them.

23 In that day there will be a highway from Egypt to Assyria, and the Assyrian will come into Egypt and the Egyptian into Assyria, and the Egyptians will serve with the Assyrians.

24 In that day Israel will be one of three with Egypt and Assyria—a blessing in the midst of the land, 25 whom the Lord of hosts shall bless, saying, “Blessed is Egypt My people, and Assyria the work of My hands, and Israel My inheritance.”

Amazing to consider the ways that we often act like Jonah - wanting to see the destruction of Assyria and yet never considering God's heart for it ...or never seeing the people within it who were destined to serve the Lord/be used of him

God has a heart for Syria - as well as other nations in Biblical prophecy (more shared in #12 ) - with much of the Gospel and the Church itself beginning with the Apostle Paul IN Antioch and Damascus (in Syria) when seeing Acts 9 and Acts 11.....the Church exceptionally strong there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What, no Levi's for Levites in those days?^_^
^_^

Of course, if they had Levi's on their off days, it would not have been a problem. Where they would come from, however, is having issue with people saying "You can't be Israel and wear jeans!!!" (in the same way people argue women can't be Biblical as being cops because "Jeans were me'ns clothes and Israelite culture said women can't wear men's clothes!!" yet they don't even know the background of the text) - as mentioned before with Deut 22:5 when it came to the issue

Historically, pants did exist in the era of Ancient Israelite culture and many scholars have discussed the dynanmics as it concerns undergarments for the priests as well as for everyday life - more within Ancient Israel in Sinai : The Evidence for the Authenticity of the Wilderness Tradition by James K. Hoffmeier Professor of Old Testament and Near Eastern Archaeology Trinity International University

If someone made a claim that a place like Vietnam or Indonesia or Japan or Central Asian/ Native American culture that none of those cultures worn pants because the pant styles today differ from previously, it'd be laughed at in light of what has actually played out historically - and if it was insisted on further in the name of "You need to dress the same in order to respect your culture" or "Stop playing around and acting as if some things have never changed!!", then it'd be a matter of wondering how much one even knew the culture as it was ...Paternalism from people outside the culture telling others in the culture how they need to act to really honor the culture they come from/know of. It's the same dynamic unfortunately with Biblical culture when it comes to the ways it developed - how many things were present as they are today and many things that existed not being made a law - and yet having people insist things that others back in the day never felt were necessary.

Last edited:
Upvote 0