• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

The Message version of the Bible (MSG)

Discussion in 'Christian Scriptures' started by A Gerbil, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:12 AM.

1. A Gerbil

A Gerbil Member

+126
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I have just been reading this, as a copy was presented to me as a gift. The Lord's Prayer reads 'as above, so below', which is a common expression used by occult groups, freemasonry, Hermeticism, etc. It's even implied by the gestures performed by Baphomet.

Does anybody believe that is a legitimate translation of 'on earth as it is in heaven', i.e. is it Biblical? What are your thoughts about the Message?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,159
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    to me it lacks clarity.

3. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+2,198
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I'm not fond of The Message -- just don't really like the way it reads -- but "as above, so below" is probably a reasonable rendition of the idea of "on earth as it is in heaven". Both phrases are meant to say that our lives here on earth should imitate the perfect goodness of heaven. It might not have been the best word choice by the translator of The Message, given its other associations. If the word choice bothers you, use a more conventional translation when you pray the Lord's Prayer.

4. A Gerbil

A Gerbil Member

+126
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    I do not believe that it could possibly have been published with that wording without anybody noticing the connotations of that particular phrase.

I was one of the last generations to go to a church school and I can say the Lord's Prayer in under eleven seconds, having said it at least five morning per week. The Message was a gify, otherwise I would be tempted to throw it in a bin. It's almost sacrilegious.

5. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+9,338
    Anabaptist
    It's fine. "legitimate translation" is kind of pre-arranged awkward judgment to me....

We talk to the AUTHOR of all Scripture, the GIVER OF LIFE, every day, and if we lack wisdom, ask Him who
    GIVES TO ALL MEN GENEROUSLY AND WITHOUT REBUKE
    to be granted understanding , HIS understanding....
    Thus almost any translation is fine for everyone abiding in Him.

6. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+9,338
    Anabaptist
    What connotations?

7. musicalpilgrim

musicalpilgrim pilgrim on the sacred music pathway Supporter Angels Team

+21,207
    United Kingdom
    Pentecostal
    Married
    I like the Message Bible, it is an aid to understanding, and after reading Eugene Peterson's books, I believe he knew he could shed new light into Scripture. Language evolves, and this is a great and useful translation.

8. A Gerbil

A Gerbil Member

+126
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Chick.com: Four Words That Open the Doorway to Satanism

From the above link:

'When I was a teenager, I was sucked into the occult by a simple phrase that unlocked the doorway to the occult. Oh, and I recently found it —in a commonly used Bible!

[​IMG]
    Want to know what it was? And what it had to do with this picture?

In high school, a friend of my dad`s gave me a book by Hermes Trismegistus. In it I learned a single phrase that is the basis of hermetic science (magic or occultism). It unlocked the doorway to the occult: "As above, so below."'

9. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+2,159
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Put it in a book cover and put it on the shelf ;o)

10. vinsight4u

vinsight4u Contributor

+2,513
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    /nvm

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 4:30 PM
  11. Andrewn

Andrewn Well-Known Member Supporter

+200
    Canada
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't see any redeeming qualities in the Message paraphrase. Which books of the Bible do you like in it?

12. PloverWing

PloverWing Episcopalian

+2,198
    United States
    Anglican
    Married
    I don't consider chick.com to be a reliable source of information.

I might agree that Eugene H. Peterson made a poor word choice in translating this verse, but I don't think there's anything more sinister going on here. Peterson uses a lot of contemporary slang and innovative phrasing in his paraphrase of the Bible. Some people find that it makes the Bible come alive for them. Others find that the language is uncomfortably trendy. But I don't see any occult magic going on here, just one guy's attempt to make the Bible speak to 21st-century people's lives.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. A Gerbil

A Gerbil Member

+126
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    You're right it's crass of me to imply the author had evil motivations, but it just seems to be another manifestation of the decline in Christianity.