green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I just scanned it but I have to say that I think he makes some very valid points.

The modern-day Christian church has this silly idea that the only way to attract anyone under 40 is to have loud, ear-splitting rock-and-roll music that mimics what they'd find at a bar or dance club. It doesn't work as Michael Horton points out in his book Pop Goes the Gospel.

If you want to read a great book on what God expects of us [my opinion anyway], check out Holiness by JC Ryle. He basically says that if you aren't growing in holiness, hatred of sin and love of Christ, you better examine yourself to see if you're really saved. It's not an easy or pleasant book to read, but it's really helped me spiritually.

Upvote 0

Bono

Jun 29, 2004
Portugal
✟15,461.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
"Resolved is the brainchild of a member of Dr John MacArthur’s pastoral staff, gathering thousands of young people annually, and featuring the usual mix of Calvinism and extreme charismatic-style worship."

This made me laugh out loud, if you needed confirmation that this person is completely clueless, there it is.

And painting Piper as some sort of pop-preacher come on..

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The modern-day Christian church has this silly idea that the only way to attract anyone under 40 is to have loud, ear-splitting rock-and-roll music that mimics what they'd find at a bar or dance club.

I have yet to find a church - Calvinist or otherwise that does this - outside of a youth group. But man - that would be cool.....

Upvote 0

alatir

Aug 1, 2007
✟15,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can partly agree with this article, there's a lot of worldy tendecies going on. Some contemporal music doens't really fit worship service, metal and heavy rock, i think. And I agree there's a temptation be wordly higly polished graphical image with cool website nowadays. Today's culture is just so shallow.

But you can't be too critical for people in the contemporary culture, I mean Jonathan Edwards wore a wig in his time and wasn't that some kind of fad at that time? We are all in some measure products of our time.

I don't agree that we should embrace the cessastionist views of Puritans because the gifts of the Spirit are meant for the edification of Church. But Puritans can offer a lot of help with spiritual discernment. I for one am greatly encouraged by reading the Religious Affections and The Distinguishing Marks of The Spirit of God by Edwards, eventhough I myself speak in tongues. :D

Upvote 0