Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The marriage covenant is something God performs. God is the One that joins the couple together as one. It is simple when a man is asked, "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" and all he has to say is "I do". And vise versa.

*side note "Sometime I think saying "I will" sounds like "eventually". But saying "I do" means the man is taking her as his wife now." Moving on.

The marriage vows are unbiblical. You will not find any validation for that practice in the scripture at all, but you can find reproofs against making those extra vows of love.

#1. Love is not boastful.

1 Corinthians 13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

#2. You cannot boast of your love of what you will do tomorrow

James 4:13 Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: 14 Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. 15 For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. 16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. 17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

#3. It is a false witness of what you will do with your love.

Proverbs 27:1Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth. 2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

John 5:31 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.

John 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Matthew 15:18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man:

#4. Where there are vows, there is a record of wrongs by that vow.

Romans 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. 20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

#5. Jesus spoke against such vows because we are to rely on Him for the love we need to love others by as He will do His work in us so that we can.

Matthew 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: 34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne: 35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. 36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. 37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:...11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Galatians 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage....5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

So if anyone hears His words, know that He can forgive you and set you free to follow Him as His disciples since God has joined the two of you together and not by your added vows borne of vanity.

John 8:30 As he spake these words, many believed on him. 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

That said, He can also free you from your commitment to follow Him so you can rest in Him and trust all His promises to you to help you to follow Him by faith.

Revelation 22:10-12

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for sharing. The site does confirm that there is no Biblical reference for marriage vows.

Quoted from your link.

Marriage Vows in the Bible | Marriage.com

"What does the Bible say about Marriage Vows?
Technically, nothing—there are no marriage vows in the Bible and the Bible does not actually mention vows being required or expected in a marriage.

No one knows exactly when the concept of marriage vows first developed, particularly in relation to Christian marriages; however, the modern Christian concept of marriage vows used in the Western world even today comes from a book commissioned by James I in 1662, titled the Anglican Book of Common Prayer."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is interesting that it suggest this as the approximation for how those added vows to marriage got started. Needless to say, believers should think twice about adding vows to the marriage covenant that God is performing.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,020.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the west at least the Church did not require a formal church wedding until the 11th century.

If any Christian couple had err in adding vows to the marriage covenant that God has performed, they can always ask the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness and to set them free to rest in Him to provide all the love they need to love each other and any other fruit of the Spirit to get thru tough times.

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If any Christian couple had err in adding vows to the marriage covenant that God has performed, they can always ask the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness and to set them free to rest in Him to provide all the love they need to love each other and any other fruit of the Spirit to get thru tough times.

This does not seem to be a reply to my comment that you cited.

My wife and I wrote our own vows and conducted our own marriage ceremony. At the reception the minister's wife commented "I don't know what you needed him for." A marriage is a covenant between two people. This covenant might or might not involve God but it is still a marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This does not seem to be a reply to my comment that you cited.

My wife and I wrote our own vows and conducted our own marriage ceremony. At the reception the minister's wife commented "I don't know what you needed him for." A marriage is a covenant between two people. This covenant might or might not involve God but it is still a marriage.

Being how marriage is God's idea at the creation of woman for Adam is why God is behind every marriage between a man and a woman. Jesus confirmed this.

Matthew 19:4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

And so.. you are married by God, even though the pastor said nothing. It is God that joined the two of you together as it is His covenant of marriage that binds a couple together. His creative idea, not man's.

When you realize this, you can ask Jesus to forgive you both for those added vows and just know that God joined you two together as one. And you can rely on Him for all the love you need to love each other.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
You followed the laws of your country?
You were married legally?
You had a marriage license and/or certificate that was signed on
your wedding day?

Yes, to all the above. All the minister did was pronounce us man and wife and sign the certificate.

Upvote 0

Jan 31, 2019
Hermitage
✟17,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, to all the above. All the minister did was pronounce us man and wife and sign the certificate.

God pronounced it too since the covenant of marriage is what He performs in joining man and woman as one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums