Visit site
✟15,879.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I got mine in the mail today. Very surprised considering I thought it wasn't going to be released until Reformation Day. That baby is thick (and full of goodness). It's everything they said it would be and more :) I look forward to reading through it.

Anyone else get theirs?

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I've heard far too many people saying that this meets or exceeds (or wildly exceeds) their expectations for it all to be hype. I'm waiting in eager anticipation for the right time to order mine.

Anticipation, anticipa-ation is making me wait.
It's keeping me way-yay-yay-yay-yay-yaiting

Upvote 0

WildStrawberry

It's almost time....
Mar 25, 2005
Southwestern Ohio
✟11,160.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Didja see my post???

I swear, each night's reading is like getting a mini Church service! SO much information and yet, it's all so very very easy to understand. I've learned so much just from reading Genesis 1-6:8! (I'm doing the 2 year schedule in the front of the Bible. Anyone else doing this??)

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I hadn't received mine yet so I went to my account to check on shipment status. Good thing I did. I ordered mine so early that, since then, my debit card's expiration date passed! It didn't hold up my order, as one of my Bibles will be imprinted with a name and they won't send my order until that gets done. But at least that's corrected now.

Are the pages nice and thick? I hate the thin pages of my Concordia Study Bible- I am so afraid I will tear a page, and they wrinkle too easily.

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The pages are very thin in the standard hardback so be forewarned.
Aww that's too bad- but I guess the pages have to be thin or the book would weigh a ton. At least it has the thumb-index. Yes, I'm a wimp!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I figure this will be one of my last study Bibles, though I'll probably continue buying different translations. So I got the large print in leather. I wont' see it until next month, I'm sure.

You mean, the last one until the expanded LSB is released. ;) My husband asked if we didn't have enough Bibles already (in conjunction with all the ones we found of his mother's).....I just stared at him until he went about with reading The Hammer of God, which I also recently ordered and have yet to get my hands on. :doh: Men!

^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*laughs* I find that I get a new main Study Bible about every 15 years or so. My first was a Thompson Chain-Reference... not really a footnoted study Bible, but it was the first Bible I had where I could look things up well. I still turn to it for topical study. The chains are really helpful.

Then in my mid 30s I got the Reformation Study Bible, which is wonderful. But as you can tell from the name, the notes are from a Reformed slant. I want something solidly Lutheran now.

But I agree about the "enough Bibles" comment... I turn to different Bibles for different things. I have my main Study Bible that I use for church and most group studies. I have a Catholic Bible I like to read because it's single column, with the verse markings in the margins... makes it feel more like a book when I'm reading, and so when I want to read a whole book at a time, which is often how I start a book study, I turn to that one. I use the Thompson Chain for topic study. I use the Literary Study Bible when I am looking at the books that are not as straightforward -- like some of the prophets, the wisdom literature, and the apocalyptic stuff. I use the Chronological Bible when I'm trying to get a better handle on what happened when, especially in matching prophets to kings and wars and such. I use the parallel Bible and parallel New Testament when I'm doing serious word/phrase study and want to compare translations. I use the Serendipity Bible when I'm doing a fast pull-together of a group study and we need built-in questions without much preparation. And I use the People's Commentary books when I want to spend time on an in-depth look at one particular book at a time.

Reactions: Zecryphon
Upvote 0
T

Till

So, I will do the party pooper now. Someone has to be:

I am very, very disappointed!

I have difficulties reading it. The paper is very thin. The font used for the study notes is quite small and not very distinct. Reading it is quite tiring.

This is in no way a comment on the study notes or the content or structure. Solely on the quality of paper and print.

For those who have not ordered it yet: Get the large print edition.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, I will do the party pooper now. Someone has to be:

I am very, very disappointed!

Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you, party pooper! :p

I have difficulties reading it. The paper is very thin. The font used for the study notes is quite small and not very distinct. Reading it is quite tiring.

This is in no way a comment on the study notes or the content or structure. Solely on the quality of paper and print.

For those who have not ordered it yet: Get the large print edition.

I planned from the beginning to get the large print version. My eyes are just not what they used to be, and the samples I saw online had quite small fonts.

I think they were trying to cram as much content as possible into (the) TLSB and they just had to have very thin pages and small fonts in order to avoid it being very large and unwieldy.

I've heard that the large print version is several pounds heavier than the standard. Oh well, I won't mind it if using my bible gives me a physical as well as a spiritual workout.

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard far too many people saying that this meets or exceeds (or wildly exceeds) their expectations for it all to be hype. I'm waiting in eager anticipation for the right time to order mine.

Anticipation, anticipa-ation is making me wait.
It's keeping me way-yay-yay-yay-yay-yaiting
Money may be tight, but if there was ever a time to buy it's now. The Bibles are still at their pre-publication price, until 10/31. I don't think they will be any less expensive in the future. In addition- if you can get other members to order 10 together, you will get free shipping!

(Oh, and no I am not an employee of Concordia! :) )

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every party has a pooper that's why we invited you, party pooper! :p

I planned from the beginning to get the large print version. My eyes are just not what they used to be, and the samples I saw online had quite small fonts.

I think they were trying to cram as much content as possible into (the) TLSB and they just had to have very thin pages and small fonts in order to avoid it being very large and unwieldy.

I've heard that the large print version is several pounds heavier than the standard. Oh well, I won't mind it if using my bible gives me a physical as well as a spiritual workout.
Our pastor brought both a large-print and regular print edition to church Sunday. In all honesty, we felt there is not much difference in the ease of reading. Yes, the font is larger in the large-print version, but the spacing between the lines is so good in the regular edition, some are changing their orders to the regular version.

A cool thing- the large print version is a larger Bible- larger pages so that the content is all exactly the same when you compare the 2 Bibles page to page. I've never compared Bibles like that before, so maybe that is common, but I thought it was very nice. That way- no matter which version you have, we can all 'be on the same page' !

My only criticism is that yes, the pages are very thin. Just like my Concordia Study Bible. But, if they were thicker the Bible would be much thicker and heavier as well. Pastor said the paper is not made of wood pulp, so it also will not disintegrate or get brittle over time, I guess.

Upvote 0